Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2018, 16:33   #31
BHPian

Re: VW Polo DIY: Removing / upgrading the instrument cluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I had swapped the stock instrument cluster on my GT to the highline spec cluster (from the Polo GTI) few days back.
Hello Gannu,
I seem to be getting a peculiar thumping sound from my 2017 Polo TSI instrument console. Happens when I am on a bumpy road there is a sort of 'dhuck dhuck' sound emanating from the cluster. If I hold my hand over it or put pressure on it, it stops.

I have tried rectifying with ASS here and they say they have tightened some lock and its okay for a day or two but comes back again. It's an annoying rattle to an otherwise quite car.

What could cause this rattle, could you shed some light on it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th August 2019, 00:06   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
Just picked up a Polo GT TSI and was wondering that if the coolant sensor is now there since 2014, does that mean that the GTI cluster would be a straight swap for my car then? No extra wires to turn off the coolant level sensor?
Kind of late to the party, but yes, it would be a straight swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
Hello Gannu,
I seem to be getting a peculiar thumping sound from my 2017 Polo TSI instrument console. Happens when I am on a bumpy road there is a sort of 'dhuck dhuck' sound emanating from the cluster. If I hold my hand over it or put pressure on it, it stops.

I have tried rectifying with ASS here and they say they have tightened some lock and its okay for a day or two but comes back again. It's an annoying rattle to an otherwise quite car.

What could cause this rattle, could you shed some light on it.

Thanks in advance.
Post 2015, the size (depth) of the cluster reduced and it doesn’t sit against the back like the older clusters. Use a small screwdriver or a trim remover tool on the right AC vent to pop it out and then put a rolled up piece of foam behind the cluster and enjoy the silence!

Last edited by Viraat13 : 16th August 2019 at 00:07. Reason: Spelling
Viraat13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 13:52   #33
BHPian

Hello Gannu,

I have a 2019 VW Ameo DSG Highline Plus. Is there a way to get the instrument cluster illumination changed to ALWAYS ON via VCDS? My previous car, a Hyundai i20 had it and I miss it in the Ameo.

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th January 2020, 20:44   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSuri View Post
Hello Gannu,

I have a 2019 VW Ameo DSG Highline Plus. Is there a way to get the instrument cluster illumination changed to ALWAYS ON via VCDS? My previous car, a Hyundai i20 had it and I miss it in the Ameo.
Hi, I don't suppose there's an option to tweak the illumination part of the stock cluster.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 18:53   #35
BHPian

Hello Gannu!

My Polo is less than six months old, but your threads have already given me the itch to start some mods.

Quick question, will swapping out the instrument cluster also affect the over speed warning? Or is there another way to remove that?

I had made my peace with the warnings until I realised they occur every time speed goes past 80 (+/-) and once every minute as well. The worst part, the MID is completely unusable when you cross 80.

Your advice would be much appreciated.
Old 9th September 2020, 11:27   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I don't suppose there's an option to tweak the illumination part of the stock cluster.
Have you gotten around to getting the track info displayed on the MID?
I had been waiting for that one.
Old 9th September 2020, 11:34   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Have you gotten around to getting the track info displayed on the MID?
I had been waiting for that one.
Not doable AFAIK. The RCD 330/340/360 does not provide the track info to the BCM, which the cluster's MID draws info from. Goes for climatronic display for the Jetta and previous gen. Passat too.

The only display you get on the MID (highline cluster like the one I have from the GTI) is the caller info.
Old 9th September 2020, 11:38   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Not doable AFAIK. The RCD 330/340/360 does not provide the track info to the BCM, which the cluster's MID draws info from. Goes for climatronic display for the Jetta and previous gen. Passat too.

The only display you get on the MID (highline cluster like the one I have from the GTI) is the caller info.
Wait, which MID displays climatronic info?

Also, did you opt for the steering wheel without cruise controls because you had them on your control stalks?

Last edited by viXit : 9th September 2020 at 11:40.
Old 9th September 2020, 12:09   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wait, which MID displays climatronic info?
Sorry, I should have been clear. The erstwhile RCD 510's display indicates climatronic info on the Jetta and Passat when the user adjusts the temperature/blower setting. Not the MID. The advanced MIB-II unit which were installed on the last batches of the Jetta's highline variants does it too.

Quote:
Also, did you opt for the steering wheel without cruise controls because you had them on your control stalks?
That plus at that time when I had attempted the DIY, there was no information on how to route the controls for the cruise control system from the stalks to the steering wheel's buttons.

Both, the cruise control system and the flat-bottom steering wheel DIYs were done at the same time.
Old 12th August 2021, 14:43   #40

Quote:
The cluster is also capable of displaying HU information such as radio channels, track currently being played etc. and phone contacts, call information, range, battery life of the device connected etc via Bluetooth. However these features need to be activated via VCDS. Once I get them up and running (hopefully in a few days' time), I shall post it here.
Sorry for bringing up this old thread, however was curious if you were able to get them activated? Reason: Just got a maxidot cluster installed in my 1.2 L Polo GT TSI (facelift) and if you could help with some settings.

I am still figuring out the options in the MFD and how to reset the tripmeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
If you have not changed any control modules in your car, the service centre guys can't mess up much. But if you have, and if they carry out the guided access function, then your add ons will be messed up as this will reset everything to car's original coding. You have to re-code everything back after the service in that case. Other than this I don't think they can mess up as far as coding is concerned.
But yeah, one screw up is that certain control module codings are irreversible. You can code it back and will show the same in VCDS but it doesn't actually take effect in the module. There are a few such codes which needs to be not tampered with.
Which control modules are you referring to? Any chance you should share which VCDS codes should not be tampered if they are irreversible? Reason stated below:

I have recently installed a maxidot cluster along with VCDS tweaks (Needle sweep, Lane changing indicators flicks (3 - 5), Anti-theft + Horn noise when locking and unlocking car). My car has a Service appointment to get the ignition lock cylinder changed + DSG adaptation + Re-calibration of the key. Since I do not have the HEX cable readily available, I'll have to travel a fair bit of distance once again to get things re-tweaked if things were to reset

I am yet to get my Ross-tech HEX cable (thanks to my cousin in the US), which will take a month+ to arrive
Old 12th August 2021, 15:01   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4rayan.jagdish View Post
Sorry for bringing up this old thread, however was curious if you were able to get them activated? Reason: Just got a maxidot cluster installed in my 1.2 L Polo GT TSI (facelift) and if you could help with some settings.
Hi Narayan, yes I was able to get a bunch of info displayed especially the phone/radio/music settings when I had the RCD 510 head unit before. With the newer RCD 330/340 head units, only the caller info is displayed.

With the MIB II Composition head unit, you can get all those data relayed to the MID of the cluster + compass, navigation data etc.
Old 21st January 2023, 11:12   #42
BHPian

Hi Gannu,

You are the Polo Guru here and thanks for all the help you give to Polo New-bees like me.

I'm reviving an old thread because I think this will be the relevant thread for a query I have about my Polo.

I had posted the story about how I got a per-owned for my daughter here (How I ended up getting a pre-owned 10-year old VW Polo to teach my daughter driving).
One issue that I had from the beginning and still remains unresolved is the 3 Beeps that happen after about 20 seconds of turning on the ignition. I posted a video of this here (VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts). I was told by the Service Center that the Three Beeps are most likely because the Instrument Cluster is replaced and you also suggested that in your reply here (VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts).

Recently Something had got stuck in the AC Vent control and the AC Repair Person had to open the dashboard for this. He noticed and informed me that somehow a key is taped to the Ignition switch inside the dashboard, probably for the sensor.

I have 2 Queries for you:

1. I have got the 2 Keys with the car and both are working fine. After reading this thread it comes to mind that at the time of replacing the Instrument Cluster, instead of rep-programming the old keys they would have taped the Key configured with the New Cluster to the ignition to avoid programming of the old keys. Am I right in this assessment ? If this is true, then can I get the old 2 working keys programmed with the New White Instrument Cluster and remove the taped key ?

2. Another question for you. The Wiper Switch Stem of my Polo Comfortline 2012 does not have the control buttons to toggle different information in the Instrument Cluster. Will simply swapping the Wiper Control Button Stem with one with those controls like this give me the option to get the feature to toggle information in the Information Cluster ?

Styler

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks