Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2014, 12:02   #91
BHPian

Re: DIY: Sleeping Bed in a Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwar View Post
online ?
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Bio-Degradabl...48b3d61&_uhb=1

While searching, I came across specific bags for disposing dog poop and they are biodegradable, moreover its available in scented form also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-BIODEGRA...item5663869fa7
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 13:10   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Bio-Degradabl...48b3d61&_uhb=1

While searching, I came across specific bags for disposing dog poop and they are biodegradable, moreover its available in scented form also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-BIODEGRA...item5663869fa7

Awesome , thanks. This should be just right.
bwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 16:46   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

So anything happening bwar?

I am thinking of throwing the middle bench seat and getting the captain seats for the middle row - from Mayapuri. Should improve the travel comfort.
Old 14th August 2014, 00:03   #94

Hi @BWAR, have you been able to zero on any particular setting? If yes, will it be possible for you to share your setup details and few photographs please?
Old 20th August 2014, 01:14   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchitectIT View Post
Hi @BWAR, have you been able to zero on any particular setting? If yes, will it be possible for you to share your setup details and few photographs please?
Sorry for the late response. Unfortunately have been very tied up getting things upto speed before I leave for Ladakh. Friends and family adviced me not to undertake such a long journey all by myself . Hence, I have postponed the camping in the car setup for the next month.

I am driving down to ladakh this Friday but with some company and will be staying in homestays / hotels for this trip.

I have decided on either implementing the metal folding bed if travelling alone or the box in a bed setup if I travel with my wife.

Will update the thread with the pictures when I complete the DIY, unless of course someone beats me to it :-)
Old 8th June 2015, 18:08   #96
BHPian

Nice mod bwar. i did a similar mod on my pajero glx. Asked my carpenter guys to help me execute the idea and they did an awesome job. Removed the 3rd row sears, made a metal frame that was fixed on the same mounting for the seats, fixed a 3-stage folding 19 mm ply covered with carpet. It unfolds into a 5ft 10in bed with folding legs as support. Will be glad to post pics for anyone interested.
Old 14th June 2015, 18:44   #97
BHPian

Re: DIY: Sleeping Bed in a Scorpio . Adding Pictures of Pajero

I installed a 5'10" folding bed in my Pajero a few weeks back.
Requirement:
1. To have a flat bed to enable atleast 02 adults sleep comfortably wherever camping was required.
2. To free up space for storage area, which the presence of 3rd row seats was hampering.
Items used and cost:
1. 19mm ply of 6' x 4'. Appx Rs.2700/-
2. Carpet. Appx Rs. 900/-
3. Welded frame with screwing mechanism that would fit onto the same setup occupied earlier by the 3rd row seats. Used the same screws to fix the frame. Appx Rs. 500/-
4. Screws to fix the ply to the frame. Hinges to enable folding / unfolding the bed in 3 stages. Appx Rs. 200/-
5. Folding legs obtained from a furniture hardware store with an locking / unlocking mechanism. Appx Rs. 450/-
6. 02 magnet mechanisms (ones used in cabinet doors) to keep the legs in place while unfolding and from vibrating. Appx Rs. 40/-
Total Expenditure Appx Rs. 5000/-

Pictures of deployment in sequence are as follows:
Folded position of the bed.
DIY: Sleeping Bed in a Scorpio-img00013201506141814.jpg
Lay down the 2nd row seat. Also acts as a support for the 2nd fold of the bed.
DIY: Sleeping Bed in a Scorpio-img00014201506141814.jpg
Unfold 2nd stage of bed onto folded 2nd row seat.
DIY: Sleeping Bed in a Scorpio-img00015201506141815.jpg

DIY: Sleeping Bed in a Scorpio-img00016201506141815.jpg
Unfold 3rd stage of bed and deploy legs.
DIY: Sleeping Bed in a Scorpio-img00017201506141815.jpg
Fully deployed bed as viewed from rear
DIY: Sleeping Bed in a Scorpio-img00018201506141815.jpg
The bed uncoils as below
DIY: Sleeping Bed in a Scorpio-img00019201506141818.jpg

Final adjustments included tightening of the frame mounting screws to eliminate minor squeaks.
Already used the bed once during a power cut, and it proved to be a life/moneysaver!
The carpet fixing cost me abt Rs.300/- of adhesive!
Cutting the ply as per the fold contours of the vehicle and to facilitate the deployment of the bed is vital.

Hope this helped in a way. Will be glad to clarify any issues/doubts from fellow bhpians.

Last edited by Unavowed_X9 : 14th June 2015 at 19:03. Reason: Fixed image tags
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 19:01   #98
Senior - BHPian

Nice set up. But would it not limit the luggage access space beneath the bed? If possible why don't you hinge the rear most portion to fold up besides the rear bench back. That way you will have full access to the bed space while the bed is not yet folded into place. Alternatively, you can cut the bed width from the sides and use small pull up drawers which when in place are in synch with your bed height. When you need anything, they can be pulled up from the sides and then stowed back down, once you have retrieved what you wanted. Another option could be to use a drawer system beneath the bed, which can be pulled out. It should also give you more structural strength across the width of the bed.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 22nd September 2015 at 19:03.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 19:18   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Nice set up. But would it not limit the luggage access space beneath the bed? .....
Thank you wanderernomad.
You are right.
In this case, the height of the bed set up has been designed by measuring the average height of the standard carriage cases / luggage available with me. Any standard size trolley, water can, suitcases, as well as a larger case that I possess can easily fit underneath. Further, I have a roof rack available with a 100kg capacity that can be fixed within a matter of minutes.
In addition to the above, this set up facilitates placement of luggage in partitions without affecting any of the softer / semi flexible luggage placed below, with adequate ability to reach for the ones on top.
I contemplated a drawer system, but that would add weight, eat up some of the space, and increase my expenses. Economy is also vital! As far as the structural strength of the bed is concerned, its made of 19mm ply which is bolted to a metal frame and fixed to the same bolts that earlier secured the 3rd row seats. 2 large adults can easily sleep on the bed, and it will not even utter a whimper!
As someone said, "Dont use cannon to kill mosquito".
Warm regards.
Unavowed_X9

Last edited by Unavowed_X9 : 22nd September 2015 at 19:24. Reason: Spelling error and address addition.
Old 22nd September 2015, 19:25   #100
Senior - BHPian

Let me hunt around for some light weight idea pictures I have in my system. I have also designed a similar system for my Indigo Marina, though it is yet untested. As Marina has the spare tyre inside the rear cargo area my design is slightly un conventional and looks like a zigsaw puzzle.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed