Team-BHP - DIY: Inexpensive home-made Car Ramps
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do it yourself (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/)
-   -   DIY: Inexpensive home-made Car Ramps (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/154445-diy-inexpensive-home-made-car-ramps.html)

DIY: Inexpensive home-made Car Ramps-beneath-bay2.jpg

DIY: Inexpensive home-made Car Ramps-front-left-wheel2.jpg

I built a pair of inexpensive ramps using some wooden planks over the last week. The other easy alternative was a combination of hydraulic jack (1.5 - 2 ton) and a pair of jack stands but this would have been expensive so I chose to go the DIY way and the end-results were better than I had thought.

The primary reason I wanted these ramps was to get access to the area beneath the engine bay and the rear. I intend to fabricate a skid plate shortly and probably do the oil change/oil filter change myself later on (sourcing the spares from VW still remains a mystery though).

My heartfelt thanks to Moorthy (for literally everything!), Ajay (for sourcing the wood screws), Kush (for the Solid Edge model) and the community for the support! :)

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Modifications & Accessories. Thanks for sharing!

HI Gannu

As usual, you have done it again.

One question though, don't you think it would have been better if the top-step had been a little longer so the tyres can fully rest, with maybe some space left, and there is no chance of it slipping back. Right now it looks a little precarious and dangerous especially when someone is working under

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A (Post 3508676)
don't you think it would have been better if the top-step had been a little longer so the tyres can fully rest, with maybe some space left, and there is no chance of it slipping back.

Correct Mohan. This was another afterthought and I forgot to mention it here.

We realized that the top plank could have been a wee bit longer so the tires have sufficient landing space. It can still be done to these ramps by removing the stopper plank and adding a few blocks as indicated below:

DIY: Inexpensive home-made Car Ramps-extended.png

There wouldn't be any load towards the edges since all the loads are concentrated on the point of contact between the tire and the top plank so a small section is sufficient for the extensions.

hi that is a nice effort. But extend the platform so that wheel is not pushed over the edge. put a jack stand for secondary safety. your front tyre is almost on the taper edge of the top plank. Car can roll back on a slight push. put a stop block behind the back wheels. i am feeling uncomfortable with this design.
extending the stopper plank without support in the base is also not good. The entire ramp can tip over to the other side.

@gannu

You DIY efforts are really appreciable:thumbs up. Have a couple of doubts.
1) Is the ramp fixed or movable? Whats the weight of the ramp, can the ramp move of the car starts the climb?
2) Will the stopper be able to stop the car climb firmly/ Shoudnt the stopper be all the way long till the end instead of half way?
3) Can you see the ramp when the car starts the climb on the ramp?

Can the ramp be covered be with anti slip material like the ones used for speed bumps used in the mall basement.

Nice job!

If you are planning to add extension make sure you do it for the full height to avoid accident.

Gannu,
Nice design and excellent execution as always.
I do lots of woodwork and below are my thoughts:
> As Kutlee mentioned the ramp may topple over thus dont EXTEND the top.
> Add anti skids under the ramps or you will need someone to keep a foot
behind them when the car is being driven up the ramp.
> I have tweaked your EXTEND drawing to give you an idea about even weight distribution.

1. (BLACK) Add a wooden block instead of making the EXTENSION else It'll topple over.
2. (RED) Instead of making blocking pane just make nitch (sort of valley) in the top plank (For tyre to firmly rest in it). - OR
DIY: Inexpensive home-made Car Ramps-extended.jpg

3. (YR PHOTO) Just get more VERTICAL stopper pieces and nail them together and then add the STOPPER at end.
DIY: Inexpensive home-made Car Ramps-front20right20wheel.jpg

Raab rakha.

Thanks for the inputs guys. Really appreciate it. I have some planks left over so the ramps can definitely be tweaked for a better stability. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 3508771)
1) Is the ramp fixed or movable? Whats the weight of the ramp, can the ramp move of the car starts the climb?
2) Will the stopper be able to stop the car climb firmly/ Shoudnt the stopper be all the way long till the end instead of half way?
3) Can you see the ramp when the car starts the climb on the ramp?

Can the ramp be covered be with anti slip material like the ones used for speed bumps used in the mall basement.

1. The ramps are fixed. No idea on the weight. I do not have a weighing machine at home but we did try lifting a 20L Bisleri carboy vis-à-vis one ramp and the ramp felt lighter. So it weighs less than 20 kg for sure.

2. I hope so! The stopper did act effectively at stopping the tire from advancing ahead and I could feel it when driving the car above the ramp in the first gear. The stopper can be designed such that it extends all the way down. No issues with that.

3. Nope. The ramp is hidden from the view. We need someone standing outside to guide us to ensure that the car is climbing up the ramp properly.

It can be. The base of the ramp i.e. the bottom surface of the bottom-most plank can be fixed with a rubber mat so the ramps would sit firmly on the ground and wouldn't move.

I shall post a video of the car climbing up the ramp so you'll get an idea. :)

Man, you just don't sit idle. Eh?! :D There is some or the other DIY coming from your end and this one takes the crown.

As many have pointed out, do make the top most plant a bit longer with a V type groove so that the front sits inside securely. Do think of making some kind of anti-skid material on the base so that the ramp doesn't move about when climbing up and down.

PS:
Why not place a space wheel underneath when your working, just in case.

Anurag.

Great design. I for now use two jacks to lift up the car and since I don't go under it, I am not concerned about jack slipping. Need this sometimes to fix the sump guard which comes off when the underbody is hit. Two pointers from my side:

1. I somehow feel that the tyre needs more space for landing and a pair of stoppers on either side of the landing would secure the tyre. As of now, the weight of the car can make the ramp flip up when the wheel touches the stoppers.

2. Avoid changing oil in such a setup since in case of a spill or a splash, you wont have enough space to move around. Try getting a bigger ramp made which will give you good working space below.

For added stability, you can extend the bottom two planks in the shape of a pyramid. The load of the car will be distributed evenly but then again, it makes it even heavier and cumbersome to store.

Another concern with the current design is that you have to be really deft with the throttle while climbing up. You also have to make sure if the platform do not move while you climb up so they need sufficient traction from the surface. Also, if you do not stop on time, the stopper at the top can even make the whole platform tip over damaging the underbody.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariesonu (Post 3509046)
I have tweaked your EXTEND drawing to give you an idea about even weight distribution.

I was thinking of something similar. The current design looks very dangerous and every time I see the picture of the person under the car when on the ramp I get nervous:eek:.

Wonderful !

I really appreciate all the efforts put in to design, develop & create this ramp - a DIY and thanks for sharing.

Great DIY accompanied by some very valid comments on the design as well. One of the best things about TBHP is the reasoned comments that are posted. Not all are 100% correct and/or practical but certainly adds value to the discussion nonethless!

Next you need a 'creeper' to smoothly slide under your car. Will that be the next project? :-)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+creeper%2Caps