Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2014, 20:59   #1
BHPian

DIY - Structured Cabling for in-car Gadgets

I am sure that many of you would have faced the problem of managing power cables for devices like dash cam, PND, bluetooth speaker-phone etc that are mounted on the windscreen or the visor.

I have three such devices in my car viz. a SJ4000 dash cam, a mapmyindia PND and a Jabra freeway bluetooth speaker-phone which are all USB powered from 12v to USB power adapters all of which are connected to a cigarette lighter port extender with three ports. Initially i had to route all the cables vertically from the power port to the rear-view mirror and then route it to the devices wherever they were placed, even though i did not like this arrangement this was the only option of making the cables reach the devices.

After thinking about it for a couple of days, i came across an idea, that why can't i use a USB hub powered from a high power 12V to USB adapter and place the hub either above the rear-view mirror or somewhere close to the devices such that there is only one cable from the power port to the USB hub and then one cable from each device but there were some issues :

1) Many of the USB hubs i came across in the market could only supply a max. of 900 ma output while i required about 1A for 2 of my devices.

2) Most of the USB hubs came with a fixed length short cable which i could not use as i wanted at-least 2m+ length of cable to make the USB hub reach the upper part of the windshield/roof.

While searching an IT market in KL for such a product, i came across a unbranded multi-port USB hub with an external power adapter and a USB B-type input port (2A input) and i felt that i could try this out as it was also not that expensive.

After buying the hub i thought about other items which will be required to complete the install such as USB type A to type B cable, 12V to USB adapter ( 2A+), rubber cable manager stick-ons which i did easily find at plaza low hat which is a very high IT market in KL and all the items put together (including the hub) costed me around INR 1500.

I faced one final hurdle, i.e. the 3m USB type A to type B cable which would serve as an input to the USB hub from the USB power adapter was dropping too much voltage and hence the hub was unable to supply the required power to the devices. The solution was to use a shorter one. Fortunately i had a cable lying around with me which had come with my printer and the length was about 1.5m but with this length i could not place the hub on the roof, near the sunglass holder but only make it reach mid-way.

I will shortly post details about phase II of the project.

The following are some pictures of the outcome of phase I of the 'project' :
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - Structured Cabling for in-car Gadgets-img_1432.jpg  

DIY - Structured Cabling for in-car Gadgets-img_1433.jpg  

DIY - Structured Cabling for in-car Gadgets-img_1435.jpg  

DIY - Structured Cabling for in-car Gadgets-img_1436.jpg  

DIY - Structured Cabling for in-car Gadgets-img_1437.jpg  

DIY - Structured Cabling for in-car Gadgets-img_1438.jpg  

DIY - Structured Cabling for in-car Gadgets-img_1440.jpg  

kamal.sn is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 10:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: DIY - Structured Cabling for in-car Gadgets

Excellent but just one suggestion. After using the A pillar to take the cables up use the roof lining to take them as near as possible to the intended gadgets. The wire will then stay hidden above your roof pad towards the front wind shield away from sight.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 11:21   #3
BHPian

re: DIY - Structured Cabling for in-car Gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
A pillar
You can hide the cables by passing it through the backside of the A-pillar cover, usually it will be attached using a couple of clips. The rest can be hidden through the roof liner, but should be properly insulated from heat from the roof to prevent any short circuit.
::CMS:: is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 08:49   #4
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY - Structured Cabling for in-car Gadgets

Would suggest you conceal the wires behind the A pillar cladding. I had done that in my safari years back for the bluetooth charging cable. The network shown is very nice.

Structured Cabling is a technical term applying to certain types of passive devices only. When you use a hub it is no longer passive. Suggest a thread title modification.
Old 29th August 2014, 11:37   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Same thing what others have pointed. Take the wire through the roof liner, then remove the pad on the A pillar, conceal the wire behind the rubber beading found on the door and you will find couple of plastic joints/separations to run the wire across to the center console (atleast this is what's there in my ecosport). I have concealed the wires and only the bit above the dash cam it's visible. Luckily in the ecosport, it's very "wire conceal" friendly.
Old 31st August 2014, 21:19   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Excellent but just one suggestion. After using the A pillar to take the cables up use the roof lining to take them as near as possible to the intended gadgets. The wire will then stay hidden above your roof pad towards the front wind shield away from sight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
You can hide the cables by passing it through the backside of the A-pillar cover, usually it will be attached using a couple of clips. The rest can be hidden through the roof liner, but should be properly insulated from heat from the roof to prevent any short circuit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Would suggest you conceal the wires behind the A pillar cladding. I had done that in my safari years back for the bluetooth charging cable. The network shown is very nice.

Structured Cabling is a technical term applying to certain types of passive devices only. When you use a hub it is no longer passive. Suggest a thread title modification.
Thanks for your suggestions. I will try and hide the cables behind the A-pillar cover and the roof lining.

Structured cabling consists of both active and passive components. If i remember correctly i did put the word structured in single quotes as this term is usually not used for automotive applications but data centres etc but i guess the mods changed the title.
Old 31st August 2014, 22:03   #7
BHPian

If the vehicle is equipped with curtain airbags, one has to be careful in removing the A or B pillar covers. In addition, it might be better to disconnect battery as accidental airbag deployment, though rare, can be very dangerous if one is working near airbag modules.
Old 31st August 2014, 23:33   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice idea, Kamal. And quite neatly done.
I would also suggest what fellow members have suggested about the wiring. I have removed the plastic from teh A-pillar, and it is easy to work on.

Surprised to know that drop across the 3m cable. Will keep that in mind when I try out something. Thanks !

One question:
can the source socket support 2A of current ?
You should not have a blown fuse when using more than one device.
Old 31st August 2014, 23:41   #9
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamal.sn View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. I will try and hide the cables behind the A-pillar cover and the roof lining.

Structured cabling consists of both active and passive components. If i remember correctly i did put the word structured in single quotes as this term is usually not used for automotive applications but data centres etc but i guess the mods changed the title.
Nope Structured cabling does not consist of active components. Only passive components
which are used to connect active components but the active components are not a part of structured cabling. You could check out wikepedia or EIA/TIA standards or BiCSI.

In datacenters the routers, switches, phones, firewalls and modems are active components and not part of structured cabling which consists of cat5e/ cat6 cabling, optical fibers, fiber termination boxes, patch panels, information outlets, connectors and adapters etc..which are all passive components.
Old 1st September 2014, 11:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
to disconnect battery as accidental airbag deployment
If the car is equipped with airbag inside the A pillar better wait for atleast 1hr after the battery is disconnected as few airbag systems have backup battery also which can last 30 - 45mins.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 20:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Nope Structured cabling does not consist of active components. Only passive components
which are used to connect active components but the active components are not a part of structured cabling. You could check out wikepedia or EIA/TIA standards or BiCSI.

In datacenters the routers, switches, phones, firewalls and modems are active components and not part of structured cabling which consists of cat5e/ cat6 cabling, optical fibers, fiber termination boxes, patch panels, information outlets, connectors and adapters etc..which are all passive components.
There is no use of structured cabling without the cables terminating on active equipment. I am in the same industry so don't feel the need to refer to wiki or any other standards for understanding what 'structured' cabling is

Most Viewed