Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2014, 22:00   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY: Boot Lid Raiser for the VW Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris_risk View Post
...power boot lid option is available on Volvos and a few others...
Power operated boot lids need to have a separate button pushed to lift (and shut) them (whether on remote or a button integrated into the body panel), and use a motor (which is usually disabled when the vehicle is in motion) to do the lifting. Cannot automatically lift when the lock is popped.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 23rd September 2014 at 22:02.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 22:15   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Power operated boot lids need to have a separate button pushed to lift (and shut) them (whether on remote or a button integrated into the body panel), and use a motor (which is usually disabled when the vehicle is in motion) to do the lifting. Cannot automatically lift when the lock is popped.
In deed a very valid point sir. Again, thankfully, the VW boot does not let the boot lid to be released while the vehicle is in motion (which I did not know till yesterday, thanks to aravind.anand for that bit of info).

Now that you mention of this sir, my next DIY plan was to put gas struts to lift the bonnet but that too suffers from the same issue you mentioned :(!
Old 23rd September 2014, 22:26   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris_risk View Post
...the VW boot does not let the boot lid to be released while the vehicle is in motion...
The boot lock can well be released accidentally due to impact, but the lid should not lift off on its own even if the lock is released - even if the lid has a motorized lift mechanism, the motor is designed not to work when the vehicle is in motion and/or after impact. In the case of an active spring mechanism, it will lift the lid all the way as soon as the lock is released.

With gas struts also, one needs to lift up a part of the way before the strut mechanism kicks in and assists automatic lift the rest of the way. No gas strut will lift off the bonnet / boot lid automatically as soon as the lock is released.

Essentially the whole process is designed towards reinforcing vehicle safety.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 23rd September 2014 at 22:27.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 11:17   #19
BHPian

Wondering if this can be implemented on a hatchback, FIGO to be more specific. The downside may be it could hurt someone if they are close to the hatch door. Usually while entering the office campus, the security guys check the boot and they can be caught off guard!
Old 25th September 2014, 11:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Wondering if this can be implemented on a hatchback, FIGO to be more specific. The downside may be it could hurt someone if they are close to the hatch door. Usually while entering the office campus, the security guys check the boot and they can be caught off guard!
I dont think this idea can be implemented on a hatch easily. The hinges on a boot lid have arms which extend inside the boot and it works by extending the spring when closed and hence the action of spring pulling the lid up. You can see that in the vento, the curved metal rods which connects to spring. However in a hatch the hinges are just an anchor point like a door and rest of the job is done by gas struts which again come into action only after a certain amount of manual movement. You will need to put gas struts at a different angle to push them from the start but it wont be easy mod. And as you already pointed out, there are lot of other issues as well. The hatch lid raised is about 8ft high which can hit the roof etc.

Last edited by supertinu : 25th September 2014 at 11:30.
Old 25th September 2014, 12:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can be done, but instead of using a spring hooked to the car body and the boot arm you need to use a spring over the existing damper. Like in the photo below (kind of like a coil-over suspenson ).
DIY: Boot Lid Raiser for the VW Vento-45997d1357531266f20autobootopenphoto12.jpg
DIY: Boot Lid Raiser for the VW Vento-45996d1357531259f20autobootopenphoto22.jpg

And it will open like in the video below:

Source:
http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/bmw-1-s...boot-open.html

Another video showing the same technique but this time on a sedan.
Sankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 13:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Can be done, but instead of using a spring hooked to the car body and the boot arm you need to use a spring over the existing damper. Like in the photo below (kind of like a coil-over suspenson ).
I guess this looks workable. Any idea where the springs can be sourced from? Also have to see how it does not impact a roof or a human and most important can this be done by ourselves? have to check that.
Old 25th September 2014, 14:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess this looks workable. Any idea where the springs can be sourced from? Also have to see how it does not impact a roof or a human and most important can this be done by ourselves? have to check that.
These springs are available on ebay.co.uk search for more options, listing two samples below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SET-2-SPRI...item35dd0df25e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Automatic-...item3a96b69f08
Old 25th September 2014, 15:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
These springs are available on ebay.co.uk search for more options, listing two samples below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SET-2-SPRI...item35dd0df25e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Automatic-...item3a96b69f08
These springs they look like the inner valve springs of some motor. Probably you can source it locally. Try bike valve springs, they might work. Look for engines which uses two valve springs per valve and use one, these might have a lower tension. i can't remember if the CI bullet engine had one or two springs per valve.
Old 25th September 2014, 21:31   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Very interesting option indicated by Sankar, never knew springs could be put on hatch back hatch door struts.

While the springs are certainly an easy/ clever/ cost effective option there, only other alternative I could think of is to change the gas struts to ones that have a slight higher force rating. You may want to refer to the post by Gannu_1 where he has provided a fantastic explanation on the use of gas struts and options to source them:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...d-vw-polo.html
Old 25th September 2014, 23:55   #26
BHPian

Slightly but wanted to know.

Do you have to pay any customs or import duty for purchases like these, where the shipment is from some other country?

Thanks.
Old 27th September 2014, 13:42   #27
BHPian

I would not recommend buying any item that is shipped from China. The reason is that our customs officials tend to confiscate anything from China, no matter how harmless the item is. I bought a phone screen guard and some plastic parts for a toy helicopter that never arrived.

I've never had issues with stuff that is shipped from Hong Kong.

It may also be the case that some customs offices are stricter than others. The specified customs office for my region is Mumbai. I've heard that Kolkata customs is more lenient but you never know.
Old 25th October 2014, 10:42   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The boot lid is a reinforced panel which combines as a part of the bodyshell to provide impact resistance. You would never find a boot lid / bonnet in any car sold in EU/US lifting up on its own. In the event of a rear end collision where the locking mechanism is accidentally released, the boot lid would then lift off automatically, reducing the structural rigidity and altering the energy absorption characteristics of the bodyshell (reduced energy absorption = more damage to passenger compartment).
I would have to disagree with you. I just got back from a month long US trip where I hired a rental Jetta. The boot in that car rose automatically once the boot release button was pressed on the key fob.
Old 25th October 2014, 15:09   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusMeridius View Post
...Jetta. The boot in that car rose automatically...
With the help of a motor, or was it spring actuated? Did you notice?

I don't think the Indian Jetta's trunk lid lifts on its own as soon as the lock is released - can someone confirm?
Old 18th May 2017, 16:09   #30

It was like my Vento's boot lid had a mind of it's own. There is no issues with the unlocking though. It's the auto rising or the absence of it that's bothering me. When I unlock the boot from my porch, it unlocks. Nothing special. When I park the car exactly 1 meter down from the porch, at a very slight inclination, the boot lid decides to open up by itself. There was always a feeling of satisfaction regarding automatic things (sometimes not with an automatic transmission). So, I just had to have an auto rising boot lid. It was then I stumbled upon this thread. A very easy & detailed DIY. I was genuinely hyped and I wanted to get my hands on those springs ASAP. The best price for those springs where from Aliexpress and it would take almost a month to reach me. NO, I WANT IT RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW! The next step was to turn to Indian websites and the cheapest price was a whopping 950 INR. That was the money I saved up for buying a shark fin antenna. So, I dug around the local shops but found nothing at a reasonable price. Hence, I decided to improvise and make a tutorial along the way.

Now some of you might not find this very, how should I put it? Chivalrous? But trust me, this is a zero budget DIY, and by zero I mean absolutely free. And as men of great wisdom say, "If it looks stupid, but gets the job done, it ain't stupid".

So into the serious stuff,

Things you'll need :
1. A car with a boot, Duh.
2. An elastic material/ couple of rubber bands.
3. Zip-ties (a small piece of strong thread would do fine)
4. Scissors
5. A lighter/candle/bonfire/A stove/Anything with a flame on it.
6. Sticking tape
7. A screw or a hook
8. A beer

The key ingredient in this DIY besides the car is the elastic. Now, here is the part where some of you'll say 'eww'. I couldn't find an elastic nor could I salvage more than 2 rubber bands. So, all I had was the elastic from my old Jockey. Yup JOCKEY and I'm blushing.

DIY: Boot Lid Raiser for the VW Vento-img_20170518_142031.jpg
The lighter/flame is optional and is not required if rubber bands are being used. I recommend heating the corners and the holes in the elastic to stop the stitching from getting loose and undone. We don't want our DIY project to fail so easily. After poking and heating two holes in the elastic, it's time to put the Zip-ties through it.

DIY: Boot Lid Raiser for the VW Vento-img_20170518_142251.jpg
I should let you know that I had to ditch one of the zip-ties later as one of the holes in the Vento's boot is not a pass through.

DIY: Boot Lid Raiser for the VW Vento-img_20170518_143309.jpg
Go to your car, preferably when no one is watching and secure the zip-tie to the hole in the car's body as shown in the image. You can also use a strong thread here. Though I seriously doubt that you wouldn't have some zip-ties lying around. If not, buy a bunch, those things are a boon. Do not tighten the ties all the way because you might need some slack to adjust the tension. I'm being technical with a piece of underwear. Boy, I must be interesting in parties.

DIY: Boot Lid Raiser for the VW Vento-img_20170518_143314.jpg
Slight hiccup, The hole on the boot lid frame is not a pass through. Time for some more improvisation.

DIY: Boot Lid Raiser for the VW Vento-img_20170518_143337.jpg
Ahoy, I found a screw and it's a perfect fit. Drive the screw through the hole in the elastic and insert it into the hole in the frame of the boot lid. You can also use a hook here.

DIY: Boot Lid Raiser for the VW Vento-img_20170518_143607.jpg
Secure the screw with a bit of sticking tape. And we are done.

Personally, I don't find the Jockey band to be disturbing. It's not very flashy unless you know where to look for it. My family members haven't noticed it (yet). But, a few long rubber bands would have the same effect without having the "disturbance" factor.

The final result is the same as that of the project done by the thread owner, but hey it's free.
Parag_pv is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks