Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2014, 13:04   #16
BHPian

The level of detail this mod has is incomparable. Everything from major steps to minor jugaads are in line. Hats off! No doubt you are one true car lover.

I think after all this experience you can help me with this thing-

Story:
I have a Skoda Superb with bi-xenon headlamps. The headlamps have a rubber cover which protects the opening through which you can change the bulb.
2 years ago I changed my high bean to Osram NightBreakers+ and I think I replaced the rubber cover loosely.

Problem:
Few months ago the RHS headlight assembly was replaced under accidental claim and now the difference between the two is huge! The LHS looks like it's a decade older than the RHS one. I tried rubbing and polishing on the outer surface of lens and it had no effect. Then I realised that it had oxidised from the inside. I checked and that rubber cover was missing. I got another one but the damage has been done.

So please advice me what to do-
1. New headlight assembly - out of question (costs frigging 40k)
2. Removing the lens and then restoring from inside - if yes, then how to remove lens, materials needed and where to get them.
3. Any other alternative which doesn't require removing the headlight lens.

Thank you in advance! This thing is troubling me from a long time.
dr.kushagra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 15:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY: VW Polo Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Installation

Great thread Gannu! Rated 10 stars if you ask me. You should do this for others, im sure you can do really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.kushagra View Post
1. New headlight assembly - out of question (costs frigging 40k)
2. Removing the lens and then restoring from inside - if yes, then how to remove lens, materials needed and where to get them.
3. Any other alternative which doesn't require removing the headlight lens.

Thank you in advance! This thing is troubling me from a long time.
I face the same problem on my CRV doctor. Car was sent to service to replace the low beams but the technician forgot to replace the caps. Went to goa for a weekend with friends and came back through a new route where the road work was in progress. Dust and all sorts got filled in. Tried various attempts to get it clean but it just continue to fade. Always had plans to get a pair of eagle eyes for the car so got them in and had them replaced.

You would need someone with a good pair of hands to restore that faded headlamp.
Fullrevs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 16:16   #18
NKR
BHPian

That's one great job. Your enthusiasm and painstaking attention to detail is amazing. The efforts taken to document your work and then share it is appreciated greatly.
NKR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 16:35   #19
Team-BHP Support

Thank you so much for the feedback guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I hope you'll upload a few pics after the bulbs break-in, to see how the beam looks and are able to capture it well.
Sure thing. I shall upload some snaps later on. Being winter, the sun is setting quite early now and when I take the car to work (almost thrice a week), the lights are turned on for 45 minutes to an hour. Gradually, the burn-in is happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Just one question, why didn't you go for the FXR?
Since this was my first ever retrofit, I didn’t want to take any chances and end up with a broken reflector since the FX-Rs require reflectors to be cut. I did not have a spare headlight assembly to work on. So decided to opt for the simpler Mini D2S instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Can we have a day time frontal shot of the car without the headlights on?
Some of the shots have been taken in broad daylight without the lights turned on. Do you want a few more? Thing is, the clear lens is reflecting everything when we try to click some snaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.kushagra View Post
Doc, the Superb’s headlight assembly has a washer system and AFS built-in IINM. There may be other components as well. Opening the clear lens can be done at a place which does projector retrofits but extreme care needs to be taken to ensure the housing and the rest of the components remain intact. This unit is definitely imported and not assembled here in India.

The other issue here being the glue used to seal the clear lens with the housing may not be butyl rubber but permaseal - an even harder glue which can be quite a pain to be removed. But as a last measure before buying a new headlight, this can be tried. Once opened, cleaning the clear lens is easy but that's the second part!

I am more surprised, the Superb’s headlight is priced at only 40k. A pair of Polo’s OEM bi-xenons with the DRLs retail for over a lakh if imported!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th November 2014 at 16:43.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 16:38   #20
BHPian

Hey Gannu, I must say this is amazing level of detail in the thread. Not only a job well done, but also amazing detail in the writeup - thank you!

Guys, slightly off topic, but related to VAG cars. On Amazon.com, I saw a link for a replacement key for any VW cars:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L6WVPIM?psc=1

Apparently, it needs dealer/locksmith help to cut and program this initial blank key to any of our cars. Question: Does anyone have any experience with anything like this? If so, worth sharing. Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 17:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The other issue here being the glue used to seal the clear lens with the housing may not be butyl rubber but permaseal - an even harder glue which can be quite a pain to be removed. But as a last measure before buying a new headlight, this can be tried. Once opened, cleaning the clear lens is easy but that's the second part!
Damn! Then I'll just leave it as it is cause I live in a small city and its difficult to find a person with some experience in retrofitting. I'll get it done alongside other damages under 0% dep insurance sometime in future (dad has problem handling such a big car - coming from wagonR - so gets minor damages all round the year)

Quote:
I am more surprised, the Superb’s headlight is priced at only 40k. A pair of Polo’s OEM bi-xenons with the DRLs retail for over a lakh if imported!
40k is just for the assembly excluding bulbs, ballasts, AFS motor, etc. Total comes around 80-90k per headlamp.
Old 28th November 2014, 18:25   #22
BHPian

Hey Gannu,
This is one heck of a detailed write-up including the detailed pictures that you've posted. It makes us understand things a bit more easily...
embee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 19:58   #23
BHPian

A very fine DIY and a A-plus write up to boot. 5 stars for the DIY and write-up and an additional 5 stars for the passion towards this exercise.

The attention to detail with regards to the DIY and the write up speaks volumes about your passion towards such an exercise.

As one of the members noted earlier, your write up does a lot to encourage a person to go through with such a DIY but whether the person has the courage to do it is another aspect to think about. Cheers
AlphaLamb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 20:15   #24
rbp
BHPian

Quote:

Since this was my first ever retrofit, I didn’t want to take any chances and end up with a broken reflector since the FX-Rs require reflectors to be cut. I did not have a spare headlight assembly to work on. So decided to opt for the simpler Mini D2S instead.
You did a great job with the Mini, you in fact used M-Seal which is what you would be using to fit the FXR, fitting FXR would have been a cake walk for you, believe me FXR is worth every penny, as I upgraded from Mini to FXR. I am sure your friends are gonna ask you to do retrofit for their cars too, you can try FXR then.
rbp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 22:56   #25
BHPian

Fantastic detailed Gannu. Its a great feeling after you have done something like this. A sense of . I did the same about 2 years back on my Getz. My job entails me to be traveling to the US frequently. On one such trip I decided to get a full HID kit for the pocket rocket. I got the Morimoto 5Five D2S kit 50W version with a H4 wiring harness. Cost about $350. Went through all the trials and tribulations you have so neatly explained. The Getz has a very tightly packed engine bay and finding the additional space to get everything fit in is a big challenge, aligning the beam, getting the harness through the cap etc, etc.
Used the set for about a year and though they were great in the city, especially the high beam will make the hi-beamers bow. but out on the highway they lack the depth and throw. The Projectors and HIDs I believe are for roads in the world where the asphalt doesn't fall away without any notice or the lane ends abruptly or certain sections of the road are from the moon. I could be wrong though.
Switched back to the regular headlights, which are pathetic on the Getz. Changed the bulbs to Osram Night breaker plus and replaced the 27W fogs with Hella 90mm 65W high beams. The lighting on the highway has slightly improved.
Great work and happy driving.

Last edited by AJITHAAA : 28th November 2014 at 23:22.
AJITHAAA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 12:13   #26
BHPian

This is an awesome effort. The lengths to which you have gone to perfect the fixing, speaks volume about your passion. Hope you are not only able to enhance the look of the already attractive looking Polo but also improve your drive safety with better illumination.

Wishing many more miles with your car.
baskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 12:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some of the shots have been taken in broad daylight without the lights turned on. Do you want a few more? Thing is, the clear lens is reflecting everything when we try to click some snaps.
Are there any full frontal shots? Sorry if I have missed them. I was wondering how the car looks from the front with the Xenons, that all
Old 29th November 2014, 20:19   #28
BHPian

Wow, buddy, that's crisp and detailed DIY write-up.

Truly master stuff. Since you have researched the subject in detail, would really appreciate if you could please suggest options to use the p8 35W kit (with h1 HIDs) in the stock projectors of rapid.
deepfusion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 15:33   #29
BHPian

This definitely is a 5 star thread, rated it as well. Really appreciate the efforts put in this mammoth DIY job.
isandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 18:19   #30
BHPian

Superb job !

May I ask you for the exact motivations behind going for this DIY.

By the way new VW Polo & Vento are now offered with H7 headlamps, so the better illumination of the road shall not be issue for new buyers.
007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed