Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2014, 22:14   #31
BHPian

Re: DIY: VW Polo Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Installation

Great DIY ! For the less proficient like me, there's always Retrorides in Delhi, but at a cost !

The cutoffs are clean but the alignment is off a wee bit - look through youtube videos to achieve the perfect alignment.

Which bulbs are you using ? I have P8, but two months with the setup makes me necessitate a move to Philips.
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:21   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post

Which bulbs are you using ? I have P8, but two months with the setup makes me necessitate a move to Philips.
Can you tell us why you are getting Philips. Any particular reason?
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:28   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.kushagra View Post
40k is just for the assembly excluding bulbs, ballasts, AFS motor, etc. Total comes around 80-90k per headlamp.
Now it makes sense! You're better off claiming a replacement through insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
You did a great job with the Mini, you in fact used M-Seal which is what you would be using to fit the FXR, fitting FXR would have been a cake walk for you, believe me FXR is worth every penny, as I upgraded from Mini to FXR.
rbp, I guess I'm done with this one. Took 3 whole weeks to get the work done! Absolutely no spare time nowadays.

Did you take the lamps out, and do the retrofit all again from scratch? Man! That must have been painful! I mean, to disassemble everything and install them again. But seriously, kudos to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJITHAAA View Post
The Projectors and HIDs I believe are for roads in the world where the asphalt doesn't fall away without any notice or the lane ends abruptly or certain sections of the road are from the moon.
This upgrade has greatly benefited me. The throw of the stock lamps with stock bulbs were pathetic. They improved by a notch when I swapped the stock bulbs with Osram NBUs H4 55/60. But these babies are on a totally different league altogether. I used to completely avoid night driving but not anymore.

In fact, this upgrade couldn't come at a better time! I've relocated from Surat to Navsari last weekend and have to drive 110 km daily to work. The return leg happens after sunset and these lights have been immensely helpful especially on the single lane roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Are there any full frontal shots? Sorry if I have missed them. I was wondering how the car looks from the front with the Xenons, that all
This has already been posted on the first post:

DIY: VW Polo Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Installation-img_1099.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
would really appreciate if you could please suggest options to use the p8 35W kit (with h1 HIDs) in the stock projectors of rapid.
Absolutely no clue! The Rapid has halogen bulbs in the projectors IINM. You will need a pair of ballasts and other misc. harness to power HIDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
May I ask you for the exact motivations behind going for this DIY.
The stock headlamps offered poor illumination in the night. As simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
By the way new VW Polo & Vento are now offered with H7 headlamps, so the better illumination of the road shall not be issue for new buyers.
Yep, these are a significant upgrade over the single barrel headlamps sold before.

Quote:
The cutoffs are clean but the alignment is off a wee bit - look through Youtube videos to achieve the perfect alignment.
Have sealed the headlights for good. Wouldn't be taking them out anymore - lack of spare time.

Quote:
Which bulbs are you using?
D2S.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 19:36   #34
BHPian

Brilliant !! hats off to your patience and well execution of the Projector Setup. Cant get easier than this( though easier said than done) but you made it look so easy and manageable. Perfect Looks and perfect execution
Sunsh!nes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 21:28   #35
BHPian

This will make a great article for DIY projector setup. There doesn't seem to be anything that you have missed out giving information during the fitment process. Even more laudable is the pictorial depiction of the whole process which I am sure would have been quite time taking and slowed your work speed.

Around Feb'14, I was considering the same process but unfortunately i didnt have the motivation and the low level details which i am getting here. (ended up with a different set of projector set).
Your car looks really nice with the projector and black shrouds.
Happy driving.
Myth_sx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 10:35   #36
BHPian

I am a big fan of DIY projects.So thanks for sharing.Waiting for more.
anilntny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 23:52   #37
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for hijacking your thread Gannu

I got myself the following from TRS this morning:

1 set Fx-R projectors
1 Osram Xenarc Nightbreakers
1 Orbit shrouds
Morimoto H4 harness

I had bought ballasts earlier.

It came in the morning and I couldn't stop myself from wiring it up and doing a test run as soon as I was back home

Here's a pic of the cut off (don't mind the dirty rusted shutter and the misaligned horizontal beam)
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: VW Polo Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Installation-img_20150316_204342.jpg  

DIY: VW Polo Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Installation-img_20150316_204344.jpg  

DIY: VW Polo Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Installation-img_20150316_204443.jpg  

Last edited by shashank.nk : 16th March 2015 at 23:58.
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 17:52   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Here's a pic of the cut off (don't mind the dirty rusted shutter and the misaligned horizontal beam)
That's a sweet cutoff dude!

Ensure that you take all the time and patience for aligning the cutoff, before fixing the projectors inside the reflectors for good. All the best and do post the end results along with some WIP snaps.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 19:57   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
That's a sweet cutoff dude!

Ensure that you take all the time and patience for aligning the cutoff, before fixing the projectors inside the reflectors for good. All the best and do post the end results along with some WIP snaps.
I'm currently sourcing all tools required based on your detailed write-up

I plan to do the DIY sometime in May since I don't have a week in hand now and I heard cutting reflector and aligning is a tricky thing best done with lots of patience. Will definitely put up all pics and install tips once done.
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 00:08   #40
BHPian

Great DIY Gannu!
I am planning to install bi xenon projectors in the fog lamp housing of my fortuner. I have contacted MXS sports, karol bagh for the same and they have assured to help me out though this will be their first project of its kind.
Need some advice on following querries-
1. Has anyone done a similar thing, if yes please share details.
2. I would be taking out the present halogen fog lamp assembly to install a bi xenon projector kit. The HID bulb can be given power from existing fog lamp source, but how to do wiring for high beam changeover. Planning to simply connect the cut off magnetic coil to main high beam switcher. I'll it be feasible.
please help me on this issue.
Old 30th August 2015, 18:07   #41
BHPian

Hi Gannu. Mighty mod there. I have installed the Morimoto elite H7 HID kit in the Low beam reflectors of my Passat. The illumination is great, when they work. I have been noticing consistent misfires on the left side light of my car, the right side light works 100% of times. Not sure what the root cause is.
Have your HIDs ever misfired. I am feeling really unlucky. Have been in touch with TRS, but they also cant seem to figure out the problem. Any insights?

I have already swapped the canbus harness from left to right and and also swapped the bulbs, but the problem persists.
Old 30th August 2015, 18:51   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Hi Gannu. Mighty mod there. I have installed the Morimoto elite H7 HID kit in the Low beam reflectors of my Passat. The illumination is great, when they work. I have been noticing consistent misfires on the left side light of my car, the right side light works 100% of times. Not sure what the root cause is.
Have your HIDs ever misfired. I am feeling really unlucky. Have been in touch with TRS, but they also cant seem to figure out the problem. Any insights?

I have already swapped the canbus harness from left to right and and also swapped the bulbs, but the problem persists.
Try coding xenon lights in VCDS. If I remember correctly (when I last used it 3 years ago) there was an option to select xenon headlights, etc. My misfiring I'm guessing you mean flashing, which is the bulb checks which happen.
Old 30th August 2015, 20:58   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Try coding xenon lights in VCDS. If I remember correctly (when I last used it 3 years ago) there was an option to select xenon headlights, etc. My misfiring I'm guessing you mean flashing, which is the bulb checks which happen.
Thanks for the Quick response!

The lights don't flash, they just don't fire up. I have to flick the light switch on/off multiple times to make it work.
I have installed the kit with canbus harness and hence should not require any coding. Although, I can try, but AFAIK there is an option for Bi-xenon in VCDS, mine is just the low beam.

If it was a coding issue, the right side light should also act up, but only the left hand side does.

There are basically 4 components - Ballast, Resistor, igniter and Bulb. What can be faulty (i know the bulb and resistor are not)

Thanks.
Old 30th August 2015, 21:08   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Thanks for the Quick response!

The lights don't flash, they just don't fire up. I have to flick the light switch on/off multiple times to make it work.
I have installed the kit with canbus harness and hence should not require any coding. Although, I can try, but AFAIK there is an option for Bi-xenon in VCDS, mine is just the low beam.

If it was a coding issue, the right side light should also act up, but only the left hand side does.

There are basically 4 components - Ballast, Resistor, igniter and Bulb. What can be faulty (i know the bulb and resistor are not)

Thanks.
Try swapping the ballasts from either side and see if that is the issue. If not do get your full wiring checked up.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 07:44   #45
Team-BHP Support

Hi Gannu,

I am back with more questions. Thinking about doing a HID upgrade on my Polo GT TSi (getting braver by the day). After going through your thread many times, I am fairly aware of the effort that needs to go into this upgrade. Though it is going to be very tough, with the amount of details you have provided, I am confident I will be able to make this.

But before I go to that step, I am stuck at the configuration. I checked the Morimoto Mini Stage III D2S page, and the combination of choices is overwhelming. I need your guidance in understanding the details of the components and choose the right components. Here goes the list.
  1. Your Polo came with the H4 bulbs with both high and low beams on the same bulb. And you have chosen the MotoControl Bixenon H4/9003 harness. The current Polo comes with independent H7 bulbs for high and low beams. What is the harness to be used? Tried an online chat with TRS support, the support person suggested CAN Bus: H7 harness. As the chat was very busy, he did not respond to my follow up questions, and I had to disconnect as it was late in the night. Do you have any idea on this? I don'e even know what questions I should ask TRS support
  2. The Bi-Xenon supports both high and low beam in a single projector. Which of the bulbs in the present headlight assembly should I replace with the projector? I guess it is the outermost one which is the low beam. If I replace the low beam lamp with the projector, what will be done with the existing high beam lamp? Will it just be there as a dummy? Will the BCM throw a bulb error for this?
  3. When you decided to go with 4150K OSRAM Xenarc lamps, what was this decision based on? How did you make the choice between 4150K, 4200K and 5500K
  4. How do I choose the shroud? I see there is a very long list. Is the shroud selection based on looks, or is it also based on mechanical dimensions and match to the headlight assembly?
  5. Is there a document or online resource that can help in understanding about all these choices? I could not find any detailed documentation on the TRS website.

As always, thanks in advance for the guidance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks