Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2015, 11:08   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
Turns out mine is not a rattle from the door.
I feel something is resonating and rattling inside the bonnet on the passenger side.
Tried to see any metal to metal contact happening but dont see anything.
The sound is irritating when outsides are quieter but as soon as car is above 40-50kmph the sound disappears.
I am facing the same issue with my one and a half year Polo. The rattling sound comes from the engine bay. It sounds as if there is a screw or something rolling inside the engine bay. It usually comes when the road quality is not that great. It is a very irritating sound.

I had taken my car to the service centre when the sound first started, but they were unable to identify the problem.
Old 17th January 2015, 18:37   #47
BHPian

I took my Polo to BU Bhandari VW Service station today. The service advisor was able to identify the root cause of the rattling sound. He said that the engine mounting needs to be checked. I had to leave the car at the service station. It is back now, they have a home delivery service. The rattling sound has disappeared. They have replaced the engine mounting under warranty. They charged me Rs. 200 for delivering the car at home, which is quite reasonable as taking a cab/rickshaw to service centre from from my home costs about Rs 300. The driver told me that they charge 400 for pick up and drop. Overall a good service experience.
Ketan T is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 11:45   #48
BHPian

Re: DIY - VW Polo/Vento: Getting rid of Door Rattles

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
In my week old Polo TSI, I noticed, to my horror, that the doors were 'creaking'/'rattling' on bad speed bumps, sudden braking. Realized this was common across a lot of newer Polos and Ventos.
5. Enjoy the silence!
Thanks d_himan :-). I did this DIY(except Collinite 845).

I used to get the door rattle while on the bad roads. After the DIY, rattle has been reduced(at least by 90%).
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 21:30   #49
BHPian

Thanks a lot d_himan. It solved my three year long story of door squeaks. I saw another solution posted in dodgetalk forum. Below is the link.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365311

I was trying to procure single sided foam tape that is mentioned in this link. But, could not find any in most of the e-com sites. I could only find double sided foam tape. Anyways, thanks a ton again for posting this DIY.
mksureshhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 18:45   #50
DWC
BHPian

So my 6 month old Polo started developing creaks. It drove me crazy. So I went ahead and got the tubes and fitted them. Sadly, the creaking wasn't from the door rubbers. So that didn't help. (Anyone in Mumbai want the plastic tubes send me a PM, i've got a bunch of the stuff left over) The creaking just got worse and worse, it was very prominent and with our great road conditions, it was also very frequent.

I had had just about enough. Was contemplating taking the car back to the workshop for a check up. The morning before I thought i'd go to the shop, I popped the hood, just to see if there was anything loose that could be causing the creaking. It was the hood rod! More specifically, it was the end part of the hood rod, the one that's attached to the rubber, not the part that holds the car up. Cleaned it and doused it in WD40. RATTLE'S GONE!
DWC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 22:51   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Thanks d_himan :-). I did this DIY(except Collinite 845).

I used to get the door rattle while on the bad roads. After the DIY, rattle has been reduced(at least by 90%).
Glad to see it work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mksureshhere View Post
Thanks a lot d_himan. It solved my three year long story of door squeaks. I saw another solution posted in dodgetalk forum. Below is the link.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365311

I was trying to procure single sided foam tape that is mentioned in this link. But, could not find any in most of the e-com sites. I could only find double sided foam tape. Anyways, thanks a ton again for posting this DIY.
3 years, wow! But don't worry, my rattles still haven't come back. Put it quite sometime back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
So my 6 month old Polo started developing creaks. It drove me crazy. So I went ahead and got the tubes and fitted them. Sadly, the creaking wasn't from the door rubbers. So that didn't help. (Anyone in Mumbai want the plastic tubes send me a PM, i've got a bunch of the stuff left over) The creaking just got worse and worse, it was very prominent and with our great road conditions, it was also very frequent.

I had had just about enough. Was contemplating taking the car back to the workshop for a check up. The morning before I thought i'd go to the shop, I popped the hood, just to see if there was anything loose that could be causing the creaking. It was the hood rod! More specifically, it was the end part of the hood rod, the one that's attached to the rubber, not the part that holds the car up. Cleaned it and doused it in WD40. RATTLE'S GONE!
Wow! Amazing find DWC!!
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 14:24   #52
BHPian

Hi, recently I got my vento serviced for the first schedule of 15K kms. The SA added a rubber tube as same as the DIY of this thread. The only difference being this DIY has used a plastic tube but the AS has used a more flexible rubber tube.

In both cases , it works very well.

I think the VW AS has gained inspiration from this thread of Team-bhp.

Thank you.
Padcot Prakash is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2015, 19:17   #53
BHPian

One week since I took delivery of my new Polo HL, and the infamous door rattle has shown up since a couple of days!! Will try the DIY tomorrow and hopefully it solves the issue.
Old 23rd March 2015, 12:24   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Prasad View Post
Will try the DIY tomorrow and hopefully it solves the issue.
Tried the DIY yesterday and yes, it did truly work. The rattles are almost 99% gone. Thanks d_himan for providing us with an excellent solution.

I did not find the plastic pipe that you mentioned even after roaming the market place for about an hour. Finally at one shop I found this 1/4" clear white plastic pipe (which is called water level pipe). I was not sure whether it would work, but since it costed about Rs. 7/mtr, I thought it would be worth a try. Came back and was done with the DIY within 10 minutes. Took the car for a spin again on the same stretch where I felt the rattles before, and the DIY has definitely worked.

DIY - VW Polo/Vento: Getting rid of Door Rattles-img_0753.jpg
This is the type of pipe I used. It is usually used in construction sites to measure level differences using water level.

Thanks again d_himan.
Mahesh Prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 08:19   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padcot Prakash View Post

I think the VW AS has gained inspiration from this thread of Team-bhp.

Thank you.

A VW dealership in mumbai , a person came to see the fix! I think enthusiasts now know far more about model specific modifications than service technicians, all due to forums. This is especially true for cars sold in US, UK, Australia - truly global communities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Prasad View Post

I did not find the plastic pipe that you mentioned even after roaming the market place for about an hour.

Thanks again d_himan.
Great it worked! But why roam around when you can order online and get doorstep delivery?
d_himan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 13:50   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Great it worked! But why roam around when you can order online and get doorstep delivery?
That was the initial plan, but since it was a Sunday and I was in the vicinity of Central market area where most of Hardware stores are located, I thought lets give it a try. The funny thing is, this particular pipe which I used would have been available at very first shop I went to, but I kept on asking about the 1/4" white pipe used in water purifiers etc. I asked the same at the shop which I bought, and just as I was about to leave, he showed me this one. But in the end it did work and I am very much satisfied.

I know its getting a bit repetitive, but thanks again for a brilliant and easy solution.

Last edited by Mahesh Prasad : 27th March 2015 at 14:15.
Mahesh Prasad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2015, 15:02   #57
BHPian

Quote:
In my week old Polo TSI, I noticed, to my horror, that the doors were 'creaking'/'rattling' on bad speed bumps, sudden braking. Realized this was common across a lot of newer Polos and Ventos.

The service centre guys said they would take a day and investigate. I definitely did not want them to rip apart everything and creater newer complications.

So, post a lot of R&D on VW forums, something which worked for me. The car is now quite as a tomb inside, especially with that super-refined 1.2 TSI mill.

Most likely cause of the problem is door rubber 'hitting' the door frame. I initially thought rubber couldn't hit metal hard and produce a rattle. Was I wrong...Also, I thought the door card wasn't fixed properly, the door hinges, door strikers were fixed loosely etc. White lithium grease did not help until i stumbled upon this fix.

Solution:

1. Buy a 1/4" white plastic pipe. I bought it from here:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/10-mtrs-Food-...item35de300caf

2. To all the 4 doors, insert it into the door-top weather strip as follows. The first picture is self-explanatory. A 5 minute job.

3. Open and close the doors firmly a couple of times and check if the pipe is in place.

4. Apply a thick layer of Collinite 845 (recommended) on the metal surfaces highlighted in yellow in the second picture ( borrowed from rtm_8055's Polo posted on the forum)

5. Enjoy the silence!
Tried this out today. Got the pipe from the Ebay link, Luckily for me had some Collinite 845 lying about... Put the 2 together and Voila! Works like a charm!! Cant thank you enough bud.

I cant believe I drove my car around without this for 3 years
The Pain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 00:57   #58
DWC
BHPian

So my car came back from its first service a couple of weeks ago. Went in rattle free, came back with a squeaking sound coming from the front left dashboard. It appears to be coning from the glove compartment or the ac vent. I already have the plastic pipe fitted in my car, so I know its not from the doors. Any other leads/suggestions? Looking to a DIY, can't be bothered to take it back to the service center.
Old 17th August 2015, 07:41   #59
BHPian

Had the same rattling noise from the doors while driving my week old Polo over bad roads. Happy to report that the problem is fully solved using the DIY fix mentioned by bhpian d_himan.

Ordered the plastic tube from the same eBay seller and the task was completed in 5mins. Skipped the fourth step as I did not have any wax for the purpose.

A note to people planning to buy from the same seller. Do ask the person if it is possible to buy the tube of lesser length. For the four doors, 10 meters of tube is not required. IMO, half the length would suffice.
Old 11th September 2015, 21:47   #60
BHPian

I have been living with rattles almost for the last four years in my Vento TDI. When it comes from service, it used to be free of rattles for few days.

I have rattles from doors, front arm rest and front passenger seat and sometimes from the glove compartment.

I will try the DIY for the doors, and I hope this will help to isolate the other rattles.

Have anyone tried any solution for front arm rest? If so, would be happy to hear the same and try. Would WD 40 be an option and how / where do I apply for the front arm rest. Appreciate your help

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks