Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2017, 14:41   #91
BHPian

Re: DIY - VW Polo/Vento: Getting rid of Door Rattles

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
This seems to be working well so far. Moreover, the rubber beadings are quite soft to touch now.
Which brand is this Silicone grease and where did you get it from? Have the same creaking issue in my CRV which is driving me crazy but the rubber beading doesn't open up as the VW and thus cannot put that small pipe.
Old 4th October 2017, 23:39   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
Which brand is this Silicone grease and where did you get it from? Have the same creaking issue in my CRV which is driving me crazy but the rubber beading doesn't open up as the VW and thus cannot put that small pipe.
I bought an aerosol can of Silicone grease, manufactured by Aerol, off Amazon.in. It is good, and it silenced the loudest creak I used to hear. I think there should be something that works even better.

To be honest, I would prefer not to add the pipe/wire to the rubber beadings, anyways.

Edit: There seems to be Liqui Moly Silicone grease available now, in both paste and sprayable forms.

Last edited by halfbytecode : 4th October 2017 at 23:47.
Old 25th November 2017, 15:54   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
5. Enjoy the silence!
You magician d_himan, can't thank you enough.! These rattles started in about 2 weeks of driving my GT TSI and had driven me mad. What a solution! Its all gone now and peace has returned.
penpavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 19:11   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post

1. Buy a 1/4" white plastic pipe. I bought it from-
Guys, sorry to restart an old thread. I’m trying this DIY but unable to source the pipe. Tried a few local hardware shops, they have the flexible pipes used in water purifiers. No one seems to carry this thick one.

Is there a specific name to the name? Any known source online which is carrying them?

I really want to do this peaceful DIY.
Old 4th September 2018, 21:11   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityan27 View Post
Guys, sorry to restart an old thread. I’m trying this DIY but unable to source the pipe. Tried a few local hardware shops, they have the flexible pipes used in water purifiers. No one seems to carry this thick one.

Is there a specific name to the name? Any known source online which is carrying them?

I really want to do this peaceful DIY.

Its available on amazon

https://www.amazon.in/Health-Zone-Sy...dp/B0183OA1E4/
nova9 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 12:19   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Thanks a ton. The rattles have been driving me crazy, and I found this thread today. Order placed, waiting now. d_himan is the man!
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 10:23   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Order placed, waiting now.
Update: Installed the pipe last night. The overall rattling has definitely reduced a LOT! However the loudest and most irritating sound (which comes from somewhere in the dashboard on the passenger side) persists. I will have to find a good FNG who will have the time and patience to satisfy a finicky customer.
Old 3rd October 2018, 10:39   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Update: Installed the pipe last night. The overall rattling has definitely reduced a LOT! However the loudest and most irritating sound (which comes from somewhere in the dashboard on the passenger side) persists. I will have to find a good FNG who will have the time and patience to satisfy a finicky customer.
+1. Even I'm pissed at the rattle from the dash. I guess it's the glove box that rattles over bad patches of road. Anyone tried any DIY approach to glove box rattle?
Old 9th January 2019, 11:58   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
+1. Even I'm pissed at the rattle from the dash. I guess it's the glove box that rattles over bad patches of road. Anyone tried any DIY approach to glove box rattle?
I got the glove box rattle fixed during the annual servicing. The workshop guys adjusted the height of the bump stops. The noise has completely stopped now.
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 08:36   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I thought the "designed in" squeaky rattles with the diy cures were a thing of the past. I have not experienced them on my TDI 1.6.

My rattle comes from the AC. Set on auto, it "idles" at two-marks-on-scale fan. And rattles.
Did you able fix rattles in your 1.6 TDI?
I have a 2011 Rapid 1.6 TDI and it's rattling like hell nowadays. I see some similarity with your issue hence quoting your post.

I know it's very difficult to explain rattles, especially when source/origin is not clear. Let me try to put my observations point wise

1. The rattle I notice is certainly a metal-metal contact sound some thing like kicha-kicha-kicha. Definitely not a rubbery sound that comes from doors.
2. Rattle starts when car passes a rough patch and afterwards it continues for a while even though road becomes smooth.
3. Rattle occurs only when AC is on. I used to switch-off A/C for some time when rattle is unbearable. It works like a charm/magic: no rattle even if I pass on the same bad patch which started/initiated the rattle. Rattle instantaneously stops when AC is switched off or fan speed knob is turned to zero (rattle from fan, AC compressor is ruled out by service adviser).
4. Where it is heard: around passenger seat or door bottom. Most unlikely in the bonnet, as I can hear rattle quite close to passenger seat.
5. All the speakers/cables inside passenger side door are intact and no loose/hanging tags/parts etc.

I have been struggling with this for last one year. Especially since last few months it is occurring daily, it is very frustrating to experience deadly rattle.
Any pointers will be of great help. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by hillsnrains : 12th March 2019 at 08:40.
Old 12th March 2019, 14:00   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
Did you able fix rattles in your 1.6 TDI?
I have a 2011 Rapid 1.6 TDI and it's rattling like hell nowadays. ... ... ...
I never had any, or not that I noticed. It was not particularly a problem in my previous Polo either. My current TDI would be a year or two younger than yours, but I am not its first owner: maybe he dealt with all the rattles!

Mind you, I am increasingly suffering hearing loss. I did not know what the direction-indicator sounded like until I got hearing aids last year! So small or high-frequency sounds would not go unnoticed. In general, I would say that it is not a particularly quiet car for city driving, but once it gets on the open road it purrs along.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 18:52   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashish_84 View Post
I am pretty sure its coming from behind the dashboard or Passenger side AC vent or maybe something under the bonnet. The rattles only happen when the car goes over a patchy road or potholes. Its like there's coin somewhere inside the dashboard which is rattling around.

Any suggestions?
I had this issue in my GT TSI as well. Talked to my SA and he just lubricated the front suspension mounts and the noise is down to a very minimum now. Now I have to really pay attention or go over really bad road surface for the noise to occur.
Old 22nd June 2019, 09:51   #103
BHPian

My 2019 Rapid MC has squeaking noise from all over which I’m unable to localise it. I’ll try this DIY suggested by Himan. What’s the use of Collinite845 and where to apply it? Any DIY to reduce dashboard noise?
Old 19th July 2019, 16:56   #104
BHPian

d_himan,

I cant thank you enough for this post! I could use the DIY you logged on my Superb L&K TSI. Unfortunately and unexpectedly my brand new Superb started squeaking after 3 months - few iterations with service center - it was resolved temporarily but noise always returned in dry and dusty environment. Last 3 weeks it was getting worse - and my search for solution landed in this thread. Applied the method of inserting pipes and it has reduced noise considerably.

Only noise I get now is from sunroof, while on potholed roads.

Thank you for this thread.

Thanks
ShyaGO

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th July 2019 at 17:27. Reason: Spacing
shyaGO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 09:02   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
I have a 2011 Rapid 1.6 TDI and it's rattling like hell nowadays.

1. The rattle I notice is certainly a metal-metal contact sound some thing like kicha-kicha-kicha. Definitely not a rubbery sound that comes from doors.
2. Rattle starts when car passes a rough patch and afterwards it continues for a while even though road becomes smooth.
3. Rattle occurs only when AC is on. I used to switch-off A/C for some time when rattle is unbearable. It works like a charm/magic: no rattle even if I pass on the same bad patch which started/initiated the rattle. Rattle instantaneously stops when AC is switched off or fan speed knob is turned to zero (rattle from fan, AC compressor is ruled out by service adviser).
4. Where it is heard: around passenger seat or door bottom. Most unlikely in the bonnet, as I can hear rattle quite close to passenger seat.
5. All the speakers/cables inside passenger side door are intact and no loose/hanging tags/parts etc.

I have been struggling with this for last one year. Especially since last few months it is occurring daily, it is very frustrating to experience deadly rattle.
Any pointers will be of great help. Thanks in advance.
Finally identified and fixed the problem. The root cause is worn out bushings of A/C blower. Which have been replaced a month back, since then no rattles/sounds. The major struggle I faced was to identify the rattling source, I have paid Rs. 900/- to the A/C mechanic and problem solved
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks