Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2019, 15:01   #106
BHPian

Re: DIY - VW Polo/Vento: Getting rid of Door Rattles

I found this on some foreign forums - Gummi Pflege Stift - acts by softening the weather seals. Anyone tried it? Opinions?
shrinath_m2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 09:28   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 View Post
I found this on some foreign forums - Gummi Pflege Stift - acts by softening the weather seals. Anyone tried it? Opinions?
Works very well. One of the best products for treating old and hard door seals, rubber beading etc. The beading has to be cleaned with soap water thoroughly to remove any dirt from it and then dried fully before applying it.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 04:30   #108
Sen
BHPian

Thanks for this fix, d_himan. Was hearing the rattle in the door and had read this thread months ago, I'll apply the pvc pipe to the door top beading and it should fix it I'm sure.

On a slightly off-topic note, does anyone else notice the squeak when the windows travel up from a fully retracted position inside the door? Is it just dirty beading that's holding the window sealed inside the door as suggested by the service center, or something else?

Thanks for any insight here.
Sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 19:33   #109

I have started noticing these creaking noise, after my latest service. Realized that it was due the rubber beading. Thank you Himan for your suggestion, will try this on my car.

Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 20:13   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

This sounds really silly, but it is a serious question: Has anybody got a squeaky seat?

Sometimes, over a bump on a rough road, or a sharp speed bump, I hear this squeak. My ears are not that good at directionality now, and hearing aids actually make that worse rather than better (but it is safer to hear a beap, and have to look round for it, than to not hear it at all). I think it is coming from underneath me, but the door seal is not ruled out.

My Polo is 2014 GT TDI: getting a little elderly now.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 11:31   #111
ais
BHPian

I have a rattling sound in my Polo TSI MT that seems to come from the boot when driving over rough roads. Will check for the remedy of inserting pipe in beading.

Any solution to the excessive wind at 80kmph? Seems to come from the B Pillar rubber beading.

I've ordered new beading for the front right door, costing Rs.8000/- to try it out. Car is 6 months old and the problem was there from day 1. I'm assuming it is because of the car being stocked in sunlight by the vendor, hardening the beading.
Old 25th November 2022, 14:12   #112
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
I got the glove box rattle fixed during the annual servicing. The workshop guys adjusted the height of the bump stops. The noise has completely stopped now.
Were these the shockab bump stops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
Finally identified and fixed the problem. The root cause is worn out bushings of A/C blower. Which have been replaced a month back, since then no rattles/sounds. The major struggle I faced was to identify the rattling source, I have paid Rs. 900/- to the A/C mechanic and problem solved
Wondering if this can reduce the blower noise even on lowest fan speed?

Further to my above post, I inserted the PVC pipe (meant for RO filters) on the door top beading, as well as the flexible bubble level pipe, 6mm, cut lengthwise in half, between the soft rubber beading that runs vertically along the B Pillar. Since I travelled outstation the next day after just one drive to work and back, I haven't tested thoroughly, but I can say that there is a substantial reduction in noise from outside traffic. The cabin seems dead quiet and I can listed to music at volume 13-14 instead of 17-20 now. The thuddish rattle from the boot area hasn't stopped, but I think the sound level may be lesser, indicating that it's from outside the cabin.

For the B pillar wind noise, I have used Abro tape to streamline the rubber seal and glass join on the outside of B Pillar. This works, but cannot be a permanent solution as the window cannot be rolled down. On highway trips I'll use this jugaad if no other solution is available.

I will test further and report with pics next week.

Meanwhile, any remedy for the high level of sound from the AC blower even on lowest fan speed?
Old 30th November 2022, 20:12   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Most likely cause of the problem is door rubber 'hitting' the door frame. I initially thought rubber couldn't hit metal hard and produce a rattle. Was I wrong...
Solution:

1. Buy a 1/4" white plastic pipe. I bought it from here:

2. To all the 4 doors, insert it into the door-top weather strip as follows. The first picture is self-explanatory. A 5 minute job.

3. Open and close the doors firmly a couple of times and check if the pipe is in place.

4. Apply a thick layer of Collinite 845 (recommended) on the metal surfaces highlighted in yellow in the second picture ( borrowed from rtm_8055's Polo posted on the forum)

5. Enjoy the silence!
Hi d_himan - first of all kudos for bringing smiles to so many bhpians through this fix. I am suffering a similar noise - but on my brand new Jeep Compass. The symptoms are almost 100% similar. The A$$ guys have tinkered around this for a while but haven't got a permanent solution yet. Do you think this solution would work on a different car too? Hope these kind of peripheral fixes don't void any warranty.
Old 2nd December 2022, 15:45   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevilslair View Post
Hi d_himan - first of all kudos for bringing smiles to so many bhpians through this fix. I am suffering a similar noise - but on my brand new Jeep Compass. The symptoms are almost 100% similar. The A$$ guys have tinkered around this for a while but haven't got a permanent solution yet. Do you think this solution would work on a different car too? Hope these kind of peripheral fixes don't void any warranty.
Thanks, do try it out. Low cost and absolutely no impact on the warranty whatsoever. You can reverse the 'mod' in 30 seconds flat if at so inclined. My car is in the 8th year with the same set of pipes and no door creaks.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 16:53   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Thanks, do try it out. Low cost and absolutely no impact on the warranty whatsoever. You can reverse the 'mod' in 30 seconds flat if at so inclined. My car is in the 8th year with the same set of pipes and no door creaks.
Awesome. Nice little project for the week. Will try this out and see if it works across brands
Old 4th December 2022, 23:54   #116
BHPian

There were door squeaks or buzzing sounds on my Glanza 2022 model right from Day 1 on a brand new vehicle. In the sense, it was a sound of rubber seals rubbing against one another, or it would feel like the window glass was vibrating when it was fully rolled up - and hence the buzzing sounds. It was heard clearly when the A/c was OFF, or when infotainment was OFF. Irritating in a quiet cabin!

I was very disappointed about it, and brought up the issue with the service technician at Toyota during 1st service. We went for a test drive, after which he sprayed a WD40 kind of lubricant solution on the door seals, but the sounds came back immediately.

I then used Liqui Moly Rubber Care Spray ordered from Amazon (link given below):

https://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-Rub...57088182&psc=1

After spraying on the door seals, the door buzzing sounds would go quiet for a few days, but would come back again after a few days. Sound was back soon after rainy days, I assume when the seals contract a bit.

Finally, and very surprisingly, a few days later I solved the issue quite unknowingly.

For the first time since I purchased the vehicle I checked air pressure at a local petrol station. All the 4 tyres were over-inflated to around 40 PSI. This was purpotedly done by mistake at the plant or at the dealer, which I did not realize. I assumed that the tyre pressure was correct.

I brought down / corrected the tyre pressure to manufacturer specified 29 PSI. And Voila!! the rattles and buzzing sounds were GONE!

My conclusion is that excess vibrations from over-inflated tyres were transmitted to the body and then to the doors, especially to the front doors causing the sounds.

Here is my take on this: I agree, there could be serious problems leading to door rattles and sounds. But, one BASIC thing that has to be RULED OUT first is over-inflated, under-inflated or misaligned tyres that might be the root cause of these buzzes or rattles.

In an automobile, a system which we assume is totally unrelated to another system, could be the root cause of a problem! In many cases the other system causing the issue might not even be located near-by or around the system which is showing the symptom!
trail_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 12:25   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevilslair View Post
Awesome. Nice little project for the week. Will try this out and see if it works across brands
So here's the update. This particular water pipe solution didn't work specifically for my problem. The sounds were the same, if not a little more amplified (or I was probably paying too much attention). Did a Ctrl-Z and rolled back to as is and it has been relatively better than before. Again this is quite intermittent and the city corporation has re-laid the roads around my most frequent haunts. So can't say what caused what, but back to square 1.

Quote:
For the first time since I purchased the vehicle I checked air pressure at a local petrol station. All the 4 tyres were over-inflated to around 40 PSI. This was purpotedly done by mistake at the plant or at the dealer, which I did not realize. I assumed that the tyre pressure was correct.

I brought down / corrected the tyre pressure to manufacturer specified 29 PSI. And Voila!! the rattles and buzzing sounds were GONE!
True that. Discovered this too, this was actually done by the ASC folks in Jeep in a sneaky way. They returned the car and it was significantly quieter. When I checked the tyre pressure before a long drive is when I realized that they had "under-inflated" (couple points below the recommended TP) and the noises had subsided.

That said, the TPMS does show that the pressure goes up on long drives or with ambient temp too. So probably keeping that under control is a good lever too to manage the noises.
deevilslair is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks