Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2014, 11:27   #1
BHPian

DIY - VW Polo/Vento: Getting rid of Door Rattles

In my week old Polo TSI, I noticed, to my horror, that the doors were 'creaking'/'rattling' on bad speed bumps, sudden braking. Realized this was common across a lot of newer Polos and Ventos.

The service centre guys said they would take a day and investigate. I definitely did not want them to rip apart everything and creater newer complications.

So, post a lot of R&D on VW forums, something which worked for me. The car is now quite as a tomb inside, especially with that super-refined 1.2 TSI mill.

Most likely cause of the problem is door rubber 'hitting' the door frame. I initially thought rubber couldn't hit metal hard and produce a rattle. Was I wrong...Also, I thought the door card wasn't fixed properly, the door hinges, door strikers were fixed loosely etc. White lithium grease did not help until i stumbled upon this fix.

Solution:

1. Buy a 1/4" white plastic pipe. I bought it from here:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/10-mtrs-Food-...item35de300caf

2. To all the 4 doors, insert it into the door-top weather strip as follows. The first picture is self-explanatory. A 5 minute job.

3. Open and close the doors firmly a couple of times and check if the pipe is in place.

4. Apply a thick layer of Collinite 845 (recommended) on the metal surfaces highlighted in yellow in the second picture ( borrowed from rtm_8055's Polo posted on the forum)

5. Enjoy the silence!
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - VW Polo/Vento: Getting rid of Door Rattles-adesydeb.jpg  

DIY - VW Polo/Vento: Getting rid of Door Rattles-p1040865.jpg  

d_himan is offline   (84) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 11:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: DIY - VW Polo/Vento: Getting rid of Door Rattles

I agree the rattle is very irritating when you are on a silent bad road, i experience these rattles on my Rapid also, they come from all the doors, seat belts, arm rest and glove box. Nice DIY.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 11:42   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I agree the rattle is very irritating when you are on a silent bad road, i experience these rattles on my Rapid also, they come from all the doors, seat belts, arm rest and glove box. Nice DIY.
Agree. Pls suggest, what to do with the seat belt, arm rest and glove box.
deepfusion is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 14:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
4. Apply a thick layer of Collinite 845 (recommended) on the metal surfaces highlighted in yellow in the second picture ( borrowed from rtm_8055's Polo posted on the forum)
Thanks a ton.
This is now top of my agenda for the coming weekend.
Any idea where to source Collinite 845 from?
Old 17th November 2014, 15:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Agree. Pls suggest, what to do with the seat belt, arm rest and glove box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Guys - my suggestion. Try this out first. I also felt there were knocks/rattles coming from the seat belt holder and central console. But this one silenced them all.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 15:19   #6
BHPian

Occasionally I used to hear a 'creaking' noise from the doors when I go over uneven roads or take a turn. Found out that this is because there is dust collected underneath the door beadings. Now I clean that area regularly as part of the weekly car wash and I have not heard those 'creaking' sounds again (touch wood).

Sorry for a dumb question, but what really is the purpose of that white pipe in the door-top weather strip?
Old 17th November 2014, 15:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Thanks a ton.
This is now top of my agenda for the coming weekend.
Any idea where to source Collinite 845 from?
Try using any thick wax. Else you can buy it online - it'll last a few years. Not a compulsory step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Occasionally I used to hear a 'creaking' noise from the doors when I go over uneven roads or take a turn. Found out that this is because there is dust collected underneath the door beadings. Now I clean that area regularly as part of the weekly car wash and I have not heard those 'creaking' sounds again (touch wood).

Sorry for a dumb question, but what really is the purpose of that white pipe in the door-top weather strip?
Shifu, I started getting it on my GT, exactly the same creek from day 3 of ownership. instantly reminded me of my swift ordeal!

Read it up on forums, there's some tech explanation on properties of butyl/angle of weatherstripping changing with weather etc etc. But bottom line, really worked for me and a host of others.

Last edited by noopster : 17th November 2014 at 17:02. Reason: Merging back to back posts- use "multi-quote" option in such cases
Old 17th November 2014, 21:53   #8
BHPian

Re: DIY - VW Polo/Vento: Getting rid of Door Rattles

Oh. I owned a 1.2 TDi Polo for 1.5 years and I was under the impression that these cars never create a rattle!
This was one of the well put together hatch I used (except for the irritating 3-pot feel of that 1.2 TDi).
I was upgrading from a Maruti hatch to VW at that time and may be that is a reason why I felf these won't create a rattle at all!
Thanks for this tip. I will share it with the person who bought mine.
novice29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 22:15   #9
BHPian

Good stuff!
My TSI GT has a weird rattle. It seems to come from behind the music system (factory fitted). It happens only in "D" mode and under linear acceleration on a smooth road. Any idea where that comes from?
Old 17th November 2014, 22:18   #10
BHPian

Good job himen. If it really worked for you then it's good. Although it's a bit unfortunate for you to have these rattles this early. I have been using Polo for 3.5yrs now and there was no rattle for the first 2.5yrs actually. But now it has started and I have been experiencing the same issue. But one thing I'd like to know that when you insert the pipe into the door beading, won't it cause water leakage/beading damage? Will it not create a problem during rainy season and what if water leaks in the cabin? Have you washed your car under a shower to see if that is not an issue?
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 22:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Good job himen. If it really worked for you then it's good. Although it's a bit unfortunate for you to have these rattles this early. I have been using Polo for 3.5yrs now and there was no rattle for the first 2.5yrs actually. But now it has started and I have been experiencing the same issue. But one thing I'd like to know that when you insert the pipe into the door beading, won't it cause water leakage/beading damage? Will it not create a problem during rainy season and what if water leaks in the cabin? Have you washed your car under a shower to see if that is not an issue?
Thanks carpainter, yes, didn't expect rattles in a 2 day old car. Thank god it's only the rubber - it feels very, very solid right now, just the way it should.

Nope. There is no water leakage observed since my daily cleaner splashes a bucketful of water every morning to get rid of bird poo (open parking woes..). Also, there is slightly reduced wind noise at high speeds.
d_himan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 22:57   #12

I too was facing the same problem. Asked at the A.S.S. and they applied some run channel lubrication (as stated in invoice). Didn't get the squeaks for almost a year but they seem to be coming back. On second thoughts, how about applying WD-40 to the door rubbers? I believe it would reduce the friction between the rubbers and reduce the rattles.
shreyasnb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 23:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks carpainter, yes, didn't expect rattles in a 2 day old car. Thank god it's only the rubber - it feels very, very solid right now, just the way it should.

Nope. There is no water leakage observed since my daily cleaner splashes a bucketful of water every morning to get rid of bird poo (open parking woes..). Also, there is slightly reduced wind noise at high speeds.
Will surely try this soon. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Old 18th November 2014, 00:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
In my week old Polo TSI, I noticed, to my horror, that the doors were 'creaking'/'rattling' on bad speed bumps, sudden braking. Realized this was common across a lot of newer Polos and Ventos.
Enjoy the silence!
You mean the squeaking and creaking sounds from door rubbers, probably due to the torsional force on car's structure when moving diagonally onto a steep incline at the entrance of some buildings or say a basement parking, could also be dampened completely by this method? Or just the rattling noises? Thanks in advance.
Old 18th November 2014, 08:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasnb View Post
I too was facing the same problem. Asked at the A.S.S. and they applied some run channel lubrication (as stated in invoice). Didn't get the squeaks for almost a year but they seem to be coming back. On second thoughts, how about applying WD-40 to the door rubbers? I believe it would reduce the friction between the rubbers and reduce the rattles.
Mine wasn't squeaks - a creaking sound.
I first applied Shin Etsu, very popular for fluffing up weather seals (OEM Honda). Used it very successfully in my Accord. Did not work here. WD 40 won't do much - in fact far more dirt will get attracted. Also, apart from spending rs.180, this mod is completely reversible if it doesn't work. Try it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
You mean the squeaking and creaking sounds from door rubbers, probably due to the torsional force on car's structure when moving diagonally onto a steep incline at the entrance of some buildings or say a basement parking, could also be dampened completely by this method? Or just the rattling noises? Thanks in advance.
Spot on. Creaking not just on downward inclines, but also on big road imperfections.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks