Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2013, 15:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning

Note from Support: New thread created from (Volkswagen Vento TDi Comfortline)Volkswagen Vento TDi Comfortline

Disclaimer
: This is not as easy a plug and play as the pollen filter DIY. Any gap in the filter / seating means you may screw up your engine. I was in two minds on whether to disconnect the battery before disconnecting the sensor. For a new car, if the DIY is done before the first service, the original alignment of the inspection marks of the screws with the filter box gets lost, which is a give away that the filter box has been opened at least once. My steps need not necessarily be the exact way the filter box should be actually removed.

Thanks to this post, an air filter cleaning DIY of the Polo TDi over the vwfansclub.com, I set out to try my hands on the same for my Vento TDi.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_6412.jpg
The box marked in red is the air filter box. Remove the six screws marked in red. A T20 precision screwdriver matches the screw head but there is one tricky corner with less space and my screw driver was short in length. So I had to improvise a jugaad. A long slender ordinary screwdriver should also do the trick, but exercise patience in not to slip the screwdriver and damage the screw head.

The one marked in blue is the MAF sensor connector which I removed without disconnecting the battery.

The yellow marked pipes (fuel?) also need to be disengaged from their holder one by one on both sides.

One thing I forgot was to remove the engine top cover, marked in green. That should have given me more space to pull out the filter element.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-copy-img_6385.jpg
My screw driver is a bit short and was tricky to unscrew. So I improvised with some thick metal wire around the top.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-new-folder12.jpg
For removing the MAF sensor connector, pull BACK (away from the sensor) and DOWN on the top latch, marked in yellow. It will pull UP the portion marked in green and release the lock, as marked in blue. No slowly pull the connector all the way back to disengage it from the sensor.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-new-folder11.jpg
Pull back the clips and pull out the 3 pipes one by one carefully, on both sides.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_6407.jpg
Let the lines sag outside the clips. The clip is attached to the filter box and will go up when we pull up the filter box covering.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_6402.jpg
After unscrewing all the screws, now pull up the filter box top cover. you can see the filter woolen(?) element. Unlock the filter woolen element by turning it anti-clockwise a quarter of a turn and then pulling it apart from the top cover.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_6386.jpg
A rubber ring (marked yellow) may either stick on to the bottom of the filter element or fall down while removing it. Be careful in not loosing it in the process of removing the filter element. When fitting back, the rubber ring goes back on the cylindrical thing marked in green.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_6387.jpg
If I had remembered to remove the engine top cover, I could have got a bit more space, marked yellow.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_6391.jpg
This is how your filter element looks. See the three clamps on the top, this locks on to the bottom of the filter box top cover.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_6400.jpg
Bottom view. Make Lumax. VW Part no 6RF 129 620.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_6394.jpg
I slowly removed the woolen filter bit by bit, from the core.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-new-folder13.jpg
The woolen element and the paper core, separated.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-new-folder14.jpg
Dirt from a 4.5k run filter.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_6397.jpg
Look at the difference at the bottom part. This is after hitting the bottom of the woolen filter on the floor. I vacuumed it. Care not to take out much of the wool while vacuuming. Didn't go for a water wash; may be it will shrink and get difficult to put back.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_6392.jpg
Inside the core, observed some left over hardened glue from production, like an extruded wire.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_6393.jpg
Plucked out some of it. Wonder whether this would ever get loose and go inside the engine!

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_6401.jpg
After cleaning, patiently pull back the woolen element back on to the core. Remember to put back the rubber ring (marked yellow) at the back of the filter and hold a hand below it till you fix the whole filter in position.

To put the filter element back, align the three clamps carefully and turn clockwise to lock the filter element on to the filter box top cover. Make sure it clicks in (seated properly).

Shut the top cover (remember about the rubber ring here; if you are pulling the element back a second time due to wrong alignment, make sure the rubber ring is seated properly) and align it properly. Screw back all the screws and attach the pipes back carefully and lock it. Click back the sensor connector.

For the first run after the DIY, I felt a wee bit of smoothness of the engine. don't know if it is just a placebo as there was not much dirt accumulated in the first place.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th January 2015 at 19:21. Reason: See note.
thoma is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 21:59   #2
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento TDi Comfortline

Thanks Thoma. I'm waiting for my VW to be delivered and try my hands on some of the DIYs.

I was told that only Vento has pollen filters in their cars in this price range - hard to believe!
Old 18th November 2013, 22:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento TDi Comfortline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikanthan View Post
Thanks Thoma. I'm waiting for my VW to be delivered and try my hands on some of the DIYs.
Congrats in advance. Which variant and color? Do put up an ownership thread with lot of pictures if possible. We all love pictures, don't we?

And you need not even bother about opening up the brand new car's filter box. 6 months / 7k kms would be more than good enough to check your filters. But the headlamps are pretty bad which you might want to consider for an upgrade.

Quote:
I was told that only Vento has pollen filters in their cars in this price range - hard to believe!
I highly doubt it. I've done DIYs on the Beat and the Micra hatchbacks. So my thinking cap tells me that many a sedan should have it.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 07:28   #4
BHPian

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
But the headlamps are pretty bad which you might want to consider for an upgrade.
Upgrading headlamps is sure on the priority list. I had replaced stock bulbs with Osram Night Breaker in my earlier car and that was my great partner in all my night drives!

Will certainly post pictures!
Srikanthan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 16:29   #5
BHPian

Re: DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning

Thanks thoma. It's certainly good to see DIY instructions.

Given our dusty conditions. I get my air filter changed every 7.5K kms for the workshop. It costs just about 300 bucks. And the difference in pickup/FE is very perceptible.
Old 10th January 2015, 00:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikanthan View Post
I have cabin Air Filter in my humble Liva as well, not sure if its the same as the Pollen Filter.

Quote:
Disclaimer : This is not as easy a plug and play as the pollen filter
This is probably the toughest Air Filter removal I have seen yet. In my petrol Liva, just need to pop couple of metal clips and the filter is out, no tools involved. Not sure if this is the result of Japanese ingeniousness or sheer cost trimmed cheap setup
Old 16th January 2015, 11:38   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Note from Support: New thread created from (Volkswagen Vento TDi Comfortline)Volkswagen Vento TDi Comfortline

The yellow marked pipes (fuel?) also need to be disengaged from their holder one by one on both sides.
These are vacuum hose pipes & not fuel pipes. Fuel pipes are thicker and on the other side of the engine.
007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 21:18   #8
BHPian

I just did this today for my 2010 1.6 TDI.

Before removing the MAF sensor connector, I removed the battery clamp from the negative terminal. I read removing the MAF sensor connector, without removing the clamp from negative battery terminal, could damage the MAF sensor.

I used a Torx-key to remove the hard-to-reach screw on the air filter housing, below the MAF sensor.

I then used a vacuum cleaner to blow air onto the air filter sleeve, after removing it from the inner filter element. I similarly cleaned the inner element too.

After cleaning the sensor, there is a noticeable gain in the car's performance. The engine noise seems to have reduced. The fuel efficiency also seems to be marginally better.
halfbytecode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2019, 20:35   #9
BHPian

Reopening an old thread.

I change my air filter every 6-7 months DIY (I buy from Boodmo) in my GT TSi.

The 6 Torx screws were always a problem until I ended up with this - a long handled Taparia T20 Torx screwdriver with a magnetic tip. For Rs.63 and free delivery, it's

https://www.flipkart.com/taparia-t-2...3NACGNSKK2UGG2

The changes now take 2-3 minutes max since there's no need to unclip the hose in a TSI. Extremely easy to reach out to the screws.
d_himan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 18:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Reopening an old thread.

I change my air filter every 6-7 months DIY (I buy from Boodmo) in my GT TSi.

The 6 Torx screws were always a problem until I ended up with this - a long handled Taparia T20 Torx screwdriver with a magnetic tip. For Rs.63 and free delivery, it's

https://www.flipkart.com/taparia-t-2...3NACGNSKK2UGG2

The changes now take 2-3 minutes max since there's no need to unclip the hose in a TSI. Extremely easy to reach out to the screws.
Would get one too, it is a pain removing those screws the ones on the rear they fall down easily. Magnetic tip is really good for this purpose.
Old 29th July 2020, 11:11   #11

BMC FILTER CLEANING

Sorry for bumping into an old thread, finally took some time for cleaning my BMC filter which has been swapped on my 2014 Vento 1.6 TDI. I had swapped the filter at about 36,500 kms in 2018 and now she has clocked around 44,500 kms as of today. I know she hasn't been used much as I had been using my 2006 Baleno on Saturday's and on Sunday's it was Vento. The filter is solidly constructed and the plastic is of high quality, it is made in Italy. Apart from sharper throttle response and larger air flow there isn't much difference. Maybe I should change to Euro spec intake and free flow exhaust.
The aftermarket support for VAG cars will make anyone bankrupt. Since my car is remapped so it is better to use supporting mods. I prefer cleaning it usually at about 5000kms or earlier, I do the same for Baleno. Since Baleno's KN filter is little small, it doesn't take much time. It is the other way round for the Vento. Anyways, let's get into business. Since removing the air filter has already been described by Bhpian thoma I will focus on cleaning and oiling part.

Step 1:
Remove the MSF sensor carefully and undo the rivets. Using a prier remove the metal circular clip attached to near the MAF sensor. By removing this clip, it will be much easier to open the filter box and accessing the filter. While undoing the rivets, be careful not drop them as it be difficult to pick them up.
Close the intake pipe with a cloth so that dust doesn't enter the engine.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_20200718_143629-copy.jpg

Step 2:
I could see lot of dust accumulated, to losen them I just tapped lightly on a paper. Make sure you hold it at tip or bottom, DO NOT hold in the middle as it may damage the filter element. I noticed that there was a fly in the between two filter element, left it as it is as I did want to risk it.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_20200718_144104.jpg

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_20200718_143701-copy.jpg

Step 3:
Applied the BMC detergent carefully onto the filter element and let it soak for about 10 minutes. While applying make sure all the pleats are completely soaked so that dirt will wash away easily. DO NOT caustic products like petrol or oil.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_20200718_143833.jpg

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_20200718_144152.jpg

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_20200718_144819.jpg

Step 4
Wash the filter by hose or in a bucket of water by inserting it. If you are using a hose, remember to use light pressure to avoid any damages. First I hosed it and later immersed in a bucket of water. While doing I found lot of black oil like dirt comng out, no idea what it is. Could not take snaps of it as my hands were dirty.If you find the filter is still dirty, repeat from step 2.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_20200718_150730.jpg

Step 5:
After washing, remove excess water by gently tapping it. Keep under sunlight or shade to dry it competely. Depending on humudity and temperature it may take upto 4 to 5 hours to dry completely. DO NOT use any hair blower or pressurised air. In the mean time I cleaned the air filter box with a damp cloth. I don't think the ASC guys would have done it. I perefer my car to be spick and span. Since my car is hardly driven under dusty conditions, the box is fairly clean.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_20200718_143607-copy.jpg

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_20200718_173857.jpg

Step 6:
Apply the given oil on top of the pleat so that it flows through all the gaps. Leave it untouched for 30 minutes so that oil is soaked completely. Check the filtering element is homogenously red, if not repeat the oiling process. Remove excess oil on the sides of rubber using a rag cloth. After oiling, the filter is ready to be reinstalled.

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_20200718_151719.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_20200718_145507.jpg  

DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning-img_20200718_182528.jpg  

the.shivaraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 23:08   #12
BHPian

Is it necessary to clean the MAF sensor along with cleaning the air filter of a Vento that has run for 1 lakh km. If Yes how to safely clean the MAF sensor.
amrit_bareta is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed