Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2015, 13:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift

I installed a 48 SMD LED in my Swift last December. Light is too good and I am glad that I installed it.

Bought it from ebay at around Rs.150/- with some discount coupon.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Super-Bright-...-/271623727959

This pic is from ebay listing. Will post my car pic soon.

Earlier I had installed a 16 SMD LED but it was not sufficient to illuminate the cabin
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-ledd.jpg  

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 28th April 2015 at 13:17.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 15:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Guys, some cars have a dimming effect when the door is closed, ie the light dims and switches off slowly, instead of switching off instantly.
Will that dimming effect still be there if I use these?
I've got the threater dimming effect in my Figo as well, but once I replaced it with the 28 SMD LEDs it now switches-off immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Tried the same mod in figo 2 years ago by ordering the stuff from aliexpress in 1.2 dollars including shipping. The result was bright but the color temperature felt harsh on eyes and the led kept glowing little bit even in off position. The bulbs started to flicker in 2-3 weeks and created an irritating disco. Replaced it with the OEM bulb.

Hope this is the better of better quality and serve you for long period of time.
Even on my Figo the led bulb stays slightly on at all times. The bulb is still working so I havent bothered much! Looks like a known issue with Figos w/r/t leds.
Old 28th April 2015, 16:11   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordDodo View Post
Nice upgrade, the Parag style. I know many people whom Parag has helped doing this DIY, in the same way he has done in his Ertiga and WagonR. A much needed mod in Classic cars, to save on the energy.
Thanks! In fact these LEDs have a Rajkot connection in both car cars. Both of them got their LED Cabin lights when I drove to Rajkot in WagonR earlier and Ertiga later .

I have loads of time here at my relative's Automotive workshop that saw a few of these LEDs and plonked them in my cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
A very common thing that most people nowadays do. Had done it on some of my cars. On my Palio, Parag did it for me well as installing the FIAT projection light for both doors.
True. I think replacing cabin light is something many may not have tried thinking its a complex task or for the reason that it fuses very rarely.

In fact, what I have in the WagonR and Ertiga are of these type which doesn't need a separate connector as the LED Board itself is designed in a way that its a direct fit:

DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-led-cabin-light.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Come on, you guys do it for the looks, brightness & functionality . What power conservation? The cabin lights are on for barely a couple of seconds in a car's daily routine. It would have zero effect on the battery.
I did it for curiosity and nothing else especially when the tints were removed after the Ban, the huge glass area in both the cars (WagonR and Ertiga) and then the lighting up of the interiors with these brighter and whiter shade.

In fact, the only time I usually turn on these lights is to arrange cash for paying up at the next toll booth or taking out the right toll receipt to show at the booth.

In WagonR I have installed another roof lamp exactly at the top of the Second row. This became a necessity due to my daughter who often wanted the light to be turned on for no particular reason when she was barely 6 months old. Having the primary light (Near the IRVM) On and driving was not a good idea that made me install the second one.

I bought the cabin light for the Esteem at a price of 90 Bucks and did a parallel wiring by running 3 wires from the primary roof lamp behind the roof ceiling to this second light.

So, when any of the door opens in the WagonR, both these light up. Also, both of these can be controlled individually based on ON-DOOR-OFF Position irrespective of their relation.

I didn't have to drill any holes to mount the second light but merely used Fevicol SR Synthetic adhesive to paste this to the roof carpet. A very small (3cmX3cm) portion of the roof carpet was cut to take the wires originating from the primary cabin light.

Will try to post the pictures later today when I have the WagonR at home as this was done at least 4 years before and I had never thought of creating a DIY thread then!

Last edited by paragsachania : 28th April 2015 at 16:13.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 16:17   #19
BHPian

These LED/SMD roof lights are available for mere Rs 30 - Rs 45 per piece, depending on the size and number of leds in Kashmiri Gate automobile accessories market here in Delhi.
I
v_safari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 16:38   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Come on, you guys do it for the looks, brightness & functionality . What power conservation? The cabin lights are on for barely a couple of seconds in a car's daily routine. It would have zero effect on the battery.
GTO, the cabin lights come in handy when you are eating from a fast food joint at night, sitting inside the car (in winters). This might take 30-45 min. I say in winters because in summers, the engine is usually running because of the AC.

Last edited by akash_m : 28th April 2015 at 16:40.
akash_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 16:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Nice Mod. I picked up a gigantic 48 LED panel with the festoon adapter from eBay for ~65rs after discounts. It was really big and barely fit in my car's roof light

DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-img_20141212_071454001.jpg

However the light was so damn bright, my friends nick named it "cricket stadium lights" after seeing the lights on in my car

DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-img_20141220_061003001.jpg

Not able to find the original listing but this one seems close :

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Car-Auto-Dome...item3ccbcdcea1
SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 18:26   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Will that dimming effect still be there if I use these?
Yes, my Swift has the 'dimming-effect' and it works pretty well with these LED's too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Hope this is the better of better quality and serve you for long period of time.
Why not try again and see if the problem repeats or no.

Hopefully these are reliable and long lasting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
GTO, the cabin lights come in handy when you are eating from a fast food joint at night, sitting inside the car (in winters). This might take 30-45 min. I say in winters because in summers, the engine is usually running because of the AC.
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I installed a 48 SMD LED in my Swift last December. Light is too good and I am glad that I installed it.
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Nice Mod. I picked up a gigantic 48 LED panel with the festoon adapter from eBay for ~65rs after discounts. It was really big and barely fit in my car's roof light
48 SMD will be dazzling bright. Awaiting the picture. Now that's one bright car!
Old 28th April 2015, 19:45   #23
BHPian

Nice DIY there. After seeing the LED light pic, the old pic looks like some kind of lantern was set up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Awaiting your LED arrival for the DIY in your car too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Next is to get into replacement of OEM bulbs of tail lights, indicators, parking lights into LED's.
Can't wait any more dude!! Let's meet up this weekend and do the same on my car too. Also I'm quite excited about the tail lights and indicators now. Let's plan that as soon as possible.
Old 28th April 2015, 22:30   #24
BHPian

Anurag, my car will be driven to Pattancheru on a weekend. You will be doing the DIY, while I relax
Old 28th April 2015, 23:10   #25
BHPian

If you guys have access to, consider using warm white lights instead. They look & 'feel' much better, especially in the Swift than cool white and the reach is more with smaller lights.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 23:57   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
Anurag, my car will be driven to Pattancheru on a weekend. You will be doing the DIY, while I relax
Done sir.

I'll be waiting for your car and do order the part as well now.
Old 29th April 2015, 00:41   #27
BHPian

Thanks for this DIY. I too wanted to do it in my Swift but was thinking it would mess up the original setup and I wouldn't able to go back in case I want to. After seeing your post, it is clear that the mod is very simple and can be put back very easily. Will try it soon.
WildInstincts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 10:20   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

So this is the LED doing duty in the WagonR since 2011.
DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-1430283001828.jpg
This Pic shows the Second light that I installed for the rear by running wires parallel to the OE Lamp near IRVM.
DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-1430283015670.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 29th April 2015 at 10:22.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 12:40   #29
BHPian

Hi Anurag,

DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-img_20150429_115836.jpg

Ze Germans have been very very efficient with the usage of space, and I am not sure if there is enough room in the ceiling light compartment of my Polo. Can you give me the exact size of the LED panel? It is not available in the product description on the Snapdeal website...

I have a feeling it is not going to fit. I guess I will end up buying this one instead...

DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-speedwav16ledsmdcarsdl0608397241daf76.jpg

Product URL: http://www.snapdeal.com/product/spee...d-car/62780493
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 12:56   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
GTO, the cabin lights come in handy when you are eating from a fast food joint at night, sitting inside the car (in winters). This might take 30-45 min.
What difference does it make, buddy? Your alternator will anyway fully charge the battery within 1 - 10 minutes of driving away from the restaurant.

That said, yes, if keeping the cabin lights on for an extended duration, your odds of ending up with a drained battery are lesser with LEDs.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed