Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2015, 07:28   #31
BHPian

Re: DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift

Its is great to see guys tinkering/adopting interior lighting systems to better the illumination inside the cabin of their vehicles.

Considering the prices of these and the space reduction achieved, wonder what stops our car manufacturers from offering these as standard fitment. I mean, filament bulbs still being used for cabin lighting - when light technology has advanced by leads and bounds just smacks of cost cutting and putting profits over form and function.
Raikkonen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 08:27   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Can you give me the exact size of the LED panel? It is not available in the product description on the Snapdeal website...
Apologies LizardKing, somehow I missed replying to your post. Shall check the dimensions and post it by afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
I have a feeling it is not going to fit. I guess I will end up buying this one instead.
This variant of LED too will not fit in the compartment as the width of LED strip is bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Considering the prices of these and the space reduction achieved, wonder what stops our car manufacturers from offering these as standard fitment.
Cost saving Sir! IMO, I'll accept there old fashioned lighting system and later on upgrade as manufacturers are resorting to cost saving by skimping on such silly parts. It is better than having a compromised body shell and lack of safety equipment.

Manufacturers can keep ICE, Alloys etc in the optional list and keep safety as a priority. Hopefully this happens in later days.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 14:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Nice mod there Anurag. Will be keen to know what mod can be done to the boot light,which I like to be much brighter as well. I think next in line would be turn signals and brake lamps ?
Old 30th April 2015, 14:42   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Nice mod there Anurag. Will be keen to know what mod can be done to the boot light,which I like to be much brighter as well. I think next in line would be turn signals and brake lamps ?
Thanks buddy. Boot light upgrade will be coming soon.

Tied up with work actually .
Old 30th April 2015, 14:52   #35
Senior - BHPian

I have one question, we have seen medium bright cabin lights even in Luxury cars, so I think privacy also matters wrt cabin lights.
Imagine a female sitting alone in the car at night can be visible from good distance due to bright cabin light.
Just a thought!
Old 30th April 2015, 14:53   #36
BHPian

Very neatly done mod. I have this installed in my Xcent. I found the LED a bit bright and I found it distracting when used in the front cabin light while driving. Fortunately, The Xcent comes with two cabin lights, so I have the stock yellow light at the front and LED at the middle. If I want to brighten up the whole car, I use the LED and If my wife/co-driver wants a light when I am driving she/he uses the front yellow light. Happy with the results so far .
Old 30th April 2015, 15:01   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Very neatly done mod. I have this installed in my Xcent. I found the LED a bit bright and I found it distracting when used in the front cabin light while driving. Fortunately, The Xcent comes with two cabin lights, so I have the stock yellow light at the front and LED at the middle. If I want to brighten up the whole car, I use the LED and If my wife/co-driver wants a light when I am driving she/he uses the front yellow light. Happy with the results so far .
offtopic, cabin lights should never be on while driving in the night. it will cause reflections on windshield and impairs driver visibility. Serious safety hazard
Old 30th April 2015, 15:20   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
offtopic, cabin lights should never be on while driving in the night. it will cause reflections on windshield and impairs driver visibility. Serious safety hazard
Yes, they should never be on but there are times when they become necessary however I do make sure that they are not on for more than a couple of seconds.
Old 30th April 2015, 16:08   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I have one question, we have seen medium bright cabin lights even in Luxury cars, so I think privacy also matters wrt cabin lights. Imagine a female sitting alone in the car at night can be visible from good distance due to bright cabin light. Just a thought!
Good thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I mainly use the cabin lights for searching something or like at toll booths for tendering the change etc and NOT keeping it on while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Very neatly done mod. I have this installed in my Xcent.
Thank you sir.

The cabin light being the centre of the cabin, the distraction is less and I use it mainly when parked or at toll booths.

Last edited by a4anurag : 30th April 2015 at 16:10.
Old 1st May 2015, 08:25   #40
BANNED

Upgrade : LED Boot light

Please find the link that take you to the details of this uograde.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3697588

Thanks for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
I also want to add similar LED in boot ( Mine is vxi ), Any pointers for that?
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Oh yes- the bootlight. I was not blessed with a car which had a functional bootlight.
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Will be keen to know what mod can be done to the boot light,which I like to be much brighter as well.
Hope this is of some help to you guys.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 15:32   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I installed a 48 SMD LED in my Swift last December.
Will post my car pic soon.
So, here are the pics. Location is my basement parking today afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-ledswift.jpg  

DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-led2.jpg  

DIY Install: LED cabin lights for the Maruti Swift-led3.jpg  

mukeshgoel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 20:07   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Next is to get into replacement of OEM bulbs of tail lights, indicators, parking lights into LED's.
I'm hooked if you plan to put LEDs into tail lights, indicators and parking lights, that'd be sweet!!

One request though, if its not too much, could you make a video when you take out the bigger panels. Video helps a lot in determining how to take panels out, how much pressure to apply and where exactly.

I have the prev-gen Swift though, so not sure how much of it would help but its definitely an inspiration, good going!!
Old 1st May 2015, 20:10   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I'm hooked if you plan to put LEDs into tail lights, indicators and parking lights, that'd be sweet!!

I have the prev-gen Swift though, so not sure how much of it would help but its definitely an inspiration, good going!!
Sure sir!

Though for changing the bulbs I don't think the headlights etc need to be dismantled. IIRC, the tail lamp needs to be removed which is held by 3 or 4 screws.

Shall give the video taking a thought too.
Old 3rd May 2015, 00:12   #44
BHPian

A cautionary note to everyone: I had tried this upgrade in my 800 a few years back- and yes, cricket stadium lights will be an apt description. I removed them after friend very rightly pointed out that they pose a serious safety risk while driving. It's not without a reason that the cabin light is kept mellow. Keeping the light clean- inside and outside- goes a long way to improve illumination. I keep a torch in the glove box for those occasions when I need a really powerful light, and it is a more versatile solution.
Old 3rd May 2015, 00:55   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
I removed them after friend very rightly pointed out that they pose a serious safety risk while driving.
IMO no one uses the cabin light during driving. It is mainly used at toll booth or at any point where we need to search something or may be read.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks