Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2015, 20:55   #1
BHPian

Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot

Disclaimer: I am no writer, blogger and hence the post might sound a little boring. Suggestions are welcomed.

This DIY (Lights & Sound) revolves around doing custom lighting in boot space & cabin and reducing rattling sound due to components that commonly keep hitting against each other due to vibrations.
Though these are based on Honda Jazz facelift model (mine is Dec-2013) I believe it can be used with any car with similar situation. I prefer keeping the car in stock condition and avoid cutting / drilling any holes. This helps to restore the car to original condition without any damage in case the DIY fails.

Hope this helps. I am going to let the pictures do the talking as much as possible.

Lights:
The Jazz story- Those of us who bought the facelift version of Jazz got some really helpful features like USB-in for audio and Boot lamp. Though the boot lamp is helpful as a feature the one that is there on the Jazz is hardly of any use (and so is the case with mostly all the hatches) mainly due to it's location which is typically towards some side/ corner. It provides very little illumination and casts shadows while the boot is filled with luggage. Hence it is of hardly any use.

This is how it looks before the extra lights are added.
Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-slide1before-illumination.png

What you need is an LED strip. This can be procured from any electric/ hardware stores (at least in Mumbai) and comes in rolls of 5m.
I prefer warm or warm-white LEDs over the bright white.
Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-5m500cm3528smdledflexible300ledsstripwarmwhite74p.jpg

Ensure to buy a set of connectors. This will help you to easily separate out the setup when you need to remove the parcel shelf.
Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-slide3led-strip-connector.png

Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-slide4-connectors.png

If your parcel shelf opens up when you open the hatch door stick the LED strip on the inside of the lip else stick it on the bottom of the shelf. I found that having a strip that is 60-70% of the width of the boot is sufficient for good illumination. The LED strip comes with 3M adhesive and sticks pretty well.
Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-slide2parcel-shelf-led-strip.png

When you stick the LED strip on the shelf ensure to secure the endpoints using electric tape.
Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-slide10.png

Ensure you cut the strip on the dotted line shown. You will need to do a careful job of soldering the wires on the two contact points to ensure that the solder from one point does not spill over the other. Sorry I do not have a photo of this.
Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-slide5-led-how-cut-solder.png

The Jazz (yes I like to call it The Jazz sometimes out of respect ) )has the light on the left top corner and does poor job of illuminating the boot. I have used the existing light as the source for power. Also it is synced with the boot opening & closing mechanism so is ideal to control the switching of the LEDs.
Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-slide6-source-location.png

I have connected the two wires (+ve & -ve) to the existing two leads by simply jamming them in the space available.
Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-slide7-power-source-original-light-connections.png

Now attach the wires to the one end of connector seen in earlier image. Carefully mount back the light and the original casing with the wires dangling out. Ensure the wire sleeve/cover is not sliced off while mounting the case back.
Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-slide8.png

Attach the two ends of the connector of the wires coming from LED & source.
Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-slide9.png

After Illumination...
Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-slide11.png

You can also replace the cabin lights completely using LEDs available on ebay/ amazon. These come with spring loaded connectors that fit into any sockets.
Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-slide12.png

I know using LEDs does not really save power as they are ON for very little duration, but consider when you accidentally leave them ON and lock your car they don't drain your battery too much.

Sound:
Lot of us are finicky about even a small rattle coming from our cars...at least I am. So here are some ways to reduce that. Some of the common areas are as follows:

Where you parcel shelf comes in contact with the car body. Place some cushioning foam tape so that the parcel shelf does not come in direct contact of the body.
Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-slide13.png

Also where your hatch door plastic cladding comes in contact with the parcel shelf. Typically manufacturers do provide some rubber pads but still the shelf vibrates and keeps hitting on the hatch door. I am a fan of welcrow (also Velcrow) since it allows for removable adhesion, without loosing the adhesive power over period of use.
You can apply either of the end on either side. I have applied one end on the hatch lip that comes in contact with small portion of the hatch door. Let the pictures do the talking.
Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-slide18.png

Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-slide19.png

Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-jazz-light-sound-others.png

Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-slide21.png

Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-slide22.png

Other places of rattle are....

Where your folding seats' backs get mounted. Apply generous foam tape on the metal brackets.
Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-slide17.png

The space near spare wheel where you keep tools, bottle of water, etc. I prefer to jam them using cloth which works very well to dampen motion and hence vibrations.

The boot cover (one that covers the area over spare wheel) also keeps flapping and jumping when there is no luggage. Consider using welcrow at the point where you pull the cover (on both the cover side and the lip of body where it sits). Do not apply welcrow across complete length as it may become very difficult to lift up the cover.

Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-slide1.png

Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-slide2.png

Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-slide3.png

Thank you for your patience if you are still with me.

MODs I could not find a similar thread on Honda Jazz hence posting it separately, please merge with other thread if relevant.
naikameya is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 22:04   #2
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 1st June 2015 at 14:52.
Tazzy Boy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 31st May 2015, 22:43   #3
BHPian

DIY- Honda Jazz - Lights & Sound

Very neat DIYs without altering the car components.
Its really helpful for people, including myself, who don't want to drill or alter car components which are irreversible.

Last edited by utsav1303 : 31st May 2015 at 22:48.
Old 1st June 2015, 13:00   #4
BHPian

re: Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot

Since I have used LED strip and connectors that were leftovers from earlier projects in home lighting, I do not have cost for this DIY exercise for now. I will update and add it later to this post later.

MODs: I could not find a way to edit my post, request you to add this to my 1st post itself and if there is direct such feature do let me know. Thanks.
Old 1st June 2015, 14:53   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot

Mod Note: Thread moved to the Modifications forum. Thanks for sharing!
Old 1st June 2015, 15:03   #6
BHPian

Wonderful thread. It involves a very little effort to achieve a significant outcome. Rated 5 stars!!
Old 2nd June 2015, 11:48   #7
BHPian

Hey naikameya, thats an excellent DIY job! My brother owns a Jazz and I will share this with him.

One request, please could you share a picture for the "after extra lights" in the dark, like you've done it for the stock lighting. It will give us a better idea of the change.

Thanks in advance
Old 2nd June 2015, 13:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navsjab View Post
One request, please could you share a picture for the "after extra lights" in the dark, like you've done it for the stock lighting. It will give us a better idea of the change.
Thanks in advance
Thanks navsjab.

Below is the snap after the extra lights.

The picture may not do complete justice since the camera tends to adjust based on the illumination. May be I will try to get an image in pitch dark that does little more justice.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd June 2015 at 13:17. Reason: Formatted post and corrected the picture attachment
naikameya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 13:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by naikameya View Post

The picture may not do complete justice since the camera tends to adjust based on the illumination. May be I will try to get an image in pitch dark that does little more justice.
It would be great if you could click one in the dark as I asked earlier. I had seen this image that you sent, but due to the picture being clicked in day light I could not figure how effeective the LEDs were. Nevertheless, I can imagine that this has done an impressive job.

Last edited by navsjab : 2nd June 2015 at 13:25.
Old 2nd June 2015, 20:20   #10

Excellent work Ameya! (Taking a guess with ur name - NaikAmeya. Sorry if I am incorrect).
I have an old Jazz ('09) and planning to do the the same thing with regards to the illumination - after some trial and error ( i do not have the parcel tray)
Love what you have done with regards to the noise - quite a few rattles here and there -especially the seats. will replicate your work.
lastly, could you post pics of the lighting inside - not the boot, but the cabin.
I have fitted a pair of 'spring loaded' LEDs in the cabin (found them only in white) and was wondering how you had fared in the same.
I love the yellow light and would love to buy those (if you have installed yellow). Do share where you bought them from.

Keep modifying bro
Cheers.
Old 6th June 2015, 00:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
It would be great if you could click one in the dark as I asked earlier. I had seen this image that you sent, but due to the picture being clicked in day light I could not figure how effeective the LEDs were. Nevertheless, I can imagine that this has done an impressive job.
You can check these pictures. The picture quality is not great but they serve the purpose really well.

The first one is without the LEDs & only the stock boot lamp. The last pic shows how those lights illuminate not just the boot but also the surroundings.

Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-img_20150605_202435.jpg

Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-img_20150605_202356.jpg

Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot-img_20150605_202408.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbayite View Post
I have fitted a pair of 'spring loaded' LEDs in the cabin (found them only in white) and was wondering how you had fared in the same.
I love the yellow light and would love to buy those (if you have installed yellow). Do share where you bought them from.

Keep modifying bro
Cheers.
Yes that is my name. No even I have found only white light for the cabin, didn't find a warm yellow one. You can use the connector and replace the white LEDs with the warm yellow strip of LEDs. That should work. BTW 2009 Jazz didn't have a boot lamp right? Let us know how you plan to get the source. it will be helpful for others.

Last edited by naikameya : 6th June 2015 at 00:18.
naikameya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2015, 01:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nice job and a good end result naikameya. The latest pictures make it clear.

More than the end result, I appreciate your quest to think of (and implement) solutions for those inconveniences. This is not one time activity but a continuous process in itself. Doing such things as a habit enhances the quality of work we do at our workplace too.

You might be aware that the Japanese call this KAIZEN; meaning small continuous improvements. Through deliberate KAIZEN program, the competitive edge of the organization sharpens.

Congratulations and keep it up.
Old 7th June 2015, 18:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikameya View Post
Excellent! Lots of light as I expected. Since they are LEDs they would not be consuming too much power as well.

Thanks for sharing Ameya
Old 11th June 2015, 13:28   #14

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 12th June 2015 at 13:03. Reason: Formatted posts
khushpreet.97 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st July 2015, 19:12   #15
BHPian

Nice DIY. Any idea how we can get this done for older Jazz which did not come with boot light.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks