Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2017, 11:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY Install: LED tail-lights & indicators in the Maruti Swift

Has anyone found a properly working PY21/5W LED brake lamp without the issues above?
My Indica already has a LED CHMSL, so the incentive to put an LED brake bulb is not so much, but would like to do it if its a cheap fix.

anyone?
Old 4th July 2017, 11:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Has anyone found a properly working PY21/5W LED brake lamp without the issues above?
My Indica already has a LED CHMSL, so the incentive to put an LED brake bulb is not so much, but would like to do it if its a cheap fix.

anyone?
I am using LED tail/stop lamps since 2015 in my i10.
Had bought from ebay India at cost of Rs 774 for a pair.
That listing is no longer available, but the item was 'CAR BIKE 1157 / BAY15D 5050 SMD 27 LED Tail/Brake Light Dual Circuits Bright'.
Over time, a few of the LEDs have conked off, but the rest of them still works, and the unit as a whole works absolutely fine for the tail lamp & stop lamp functions.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 11:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Been using Philips PY21W LED since 2014 in Swift and then Polo. Now its in the Octavia sold to friend.

Now using Osram PY21W LED in the Innova Crysta, since a month.

Btw, if you meant no hyperflashing when you said properly working then yes and no. Philips (used to) include resistor kit with their PY LED bulbs and that needs to be connected using included taps. Osram doesn't include the resistor but is available separately. I am not using the resistor in the Crysta instead the flasher can be converted to LED flasher. Yet to do.

Canbus error free read LED bulbs are bulbs with resistors in built. Defeats one of the advantages of LED which is low current consumption. So I rather let it hyperflash (which sort of attracts attention and makes my intention to turn more noticeable) than use resistors if LED flasher is not available.

Last edited by Sankar : 4th July 2017 at 12:03.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 16:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

Had initially ordered a set from ebay which i later realized were BA15S (apparently my car has BAU15S, with the angled pins). Ordered the BAU15S also. Got my BA15S, tried it into my BAU15s sockets with some jugaad (strictly not advisable - had to deform the socket a bit to remove it) and found that there is still a bit of lag with turn on, and predictably, my indicator starts to flash rapidly.
Now to wait for my LED flasher relay and the correct bulbs ( so that I can replace all of them)
Old 12th July 2017, 17:31   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Now to wait for my LED flasher relay and the correct bulbs ( so that I can replace all of them)
Hi sir,

Even I finally completed the LED indicators install in my Swift. Here's the link:

LED indicators install
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 17:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hi sir,

Even I finally completed the LED indicators install in my Swift. Here's the link:

LED indicators install
Just curious, why did you opt to install resistors instead of swapping in an LED flasher?
Old 12th July 2017, 17:54   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Just curious, why did you opt to install resistors instead of swapping in an LED flasher?
I think you meant LED flasher relay?

If yes, the indicators in the Swift are wired through the BCM. No separate relay in my car hence all this extra effort.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 23:11   #38

Mod note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.

Replaced stock incandescent tail light bulbs with Philips 1157 P21/5 type LEDs in our Wagon R Vxi. Benefits: Super bright output, energy efficient and quick response time, as is expected from LEDs. These are imported ones and still cost too much, but the end results are satisfactory. I am attaching three images- of the package, parking light on and brake light on. The process was a simple DIY requiring a spanner of 10mm, but I am not giving details of opening and reassembling the bulbs, as it closely resembles to the one detailed in the first post relating to Swift.
Please wear gloves or use tissue paper to hold bulbs, as oil and sweat can do harm to the incandescent bulbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Been using Philips PY21W LED since 2014 in Swift and then Polo. Now its in the Octavia sold to friend.

=====
So I rather let it hyperflash (which sort of attracts attention and makes my intention to turn more noticeable) than use resistors if LED flasher is not available.
From where did you purchase Osram PY21W LEDs? Can you please give me the link, if possible?
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Install: LED tail-lights & indicators in the Maruti Swift-fullsizerender.jpg  

DIY Install: LED tail-lights & indicators in the Maruti Swift-img_1789.jpg  

DIY Install: LED tail-lights & indicators in the Maruti Swift-img_1791.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th July 2017 at 23:35. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.
Old 17th September 2017, 21:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

Finally got my Indicators running properly
First the indicators were the wrong bulbs, and the flasher wouldnt work
Got the right base bulbs, and got another LED flasher. Things are working fine now
Swapped front, back & side indicator bulbs with LED

Since the indica doesnt have a BCM, and is a bit more lower tech with a standard 3 pin flasher, was able to swap in an LED version, instead of having to plug resistors everywhere (which kinda negates the energy saving gains)
side benefit - the new relay is a lot more silent than the original one. the tick tock has reduced significantly
Old 14th October 2017, 13:05   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
[b]

1) Tail / Brake Lamp:

The one that I have ordered was meant for both tail lamp (5W) and Brake lamp (21W) but when I installed the same in my car the LED's didn't glow when the headlights were switched ON. The LED's only responded to the brake input. Now I feel it is risky since at nights the rear end of the car will be dark due to no tail light as a result can be dangerous to drive around since no one would spot me till their headlights fall on my car.

Was highly pissed off with this so contacted the seller and explained the whole issue to which he was apologetic and refunded the full amount (incl return shipping charges) to me. Good gesture though. I am now scouting for an Replacement. Any suggestions?!

If I don't get any, I'll buy the bulbs from the below link:

Brake Light - Philips Xtreme Vision

Now comes the funniest + Saddest part:

After returning the product to the seller, a week or so later, my close friend who was selling his car and moving off to the US, removed these LED's and put the OEM bulbs before selling. I took them from him and tried again thinking the ones I had received would have been faulty. But these too didn't work as the ones I had purchased.

Dejected but with a small hope inside, I put these on my Karizma R to check if they work or no. Alas, it works perfectly during both conditions,

1) When the brakes are pressed and
2) When the headlights are switched ON.

Look at the images below:

LED's with the headlight ON:
Attachment 1380019

LED's with the brakes pressed:
Attachment 1380020

Now if I think, how is it working in the bike whereas it isn't working in my car?! The LED's per say are fine and genuine, but something wrong with the car I feel. Any pointers?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It seems there are three standards for the dual contact brake bulbs - Though they look similar in the face of it, the pinouts are different. I think this might be the answer
DIY Install: LED tail-lights & indicators in the Maruti Swift-htb1idqwfvxxxxxpxvxxq6xxfxxxl.jpg
DIY Install: LED tail-lights & indicators in the Maruti Swift-dhl100pcs100pcss25ba15dbay15d11579smd_9867620_3.bak.jpg

Last edited by greenhorn : 14th October 2017 at 13:11.
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 14:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

I finally got a worthy set of red Brake lights from this site. I had tried both Philips and osram. Osram was dimmer than stock, Philips matched it but was expensive due to no local availability.
They appear to be based on csp modules hence their better brightness.

https://autobahntechnologies.com/pro...v=c86ee0d9d7ed

Here's a short video of them in action. Visibility is good even in broad daylight

Also here is a pic i took while trying out the osram. It was old stock from 2015. Both cases the incandescent bulb is on the left. The osram is on the bottom because it was a single filament bulb, so decided to try it out in my fog lamp slot.
DIY Install: LED tail-lights & indicators in the Maruti Swift-pxl_20220204_093155905.jpg

Name:  images  20220212T144633.717.jpeg
Views: 483
Size:  13.6 KB

Last edited by greenhorn : 12th February 2022 at 14:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks