Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2015, 13:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

Hi,
This is an excellent purchase. Tyres are important part of a car and it becomes essential to monitor them. Such a system will make it easy to see their status.

Regarding manufacturers adding this features in their cars, it should not be very difficult to implement in top end versions (that have abs installed) as a tyre with low pressure than others will rotate faster relatively. VW uses such a system.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 08:18   #32
BHPian

I had the penetrate Mont TPMS/ GPS combo installed in my car.
Here is the link to the post regarding the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3773991

Quote:
The possibility of seeing all temp. & press. simultaneously was the attractive part for me. The display was a little too big for my liking. Maybe it is due to the fact that they only sell TPMS bundled along with GPS navigator (maybe a smaller TPMS only unit would have been better for the purpose).

Fitting the TPMS was a straight forward affair as the transmitters were fitted in place of the existing filling valves and the display/ receiver unit was fitted on the central console on the middle AC vent.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-tpms-layout.jpg  

DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-tpms-display.jpg  

DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-tpms-mount.jpg  

Old 9th August 2015, 09:32   #33
BHPian

A very good article and a good product at the right price. Thanks a lot for bringing this to our notice.
Theft is the only concern. In my case, I check pressure at home as well as fill air at home. So better would be to install it on long drives and remove after reaching destination (as I have a tendency or paranoia which makes me stop vehicle and check tires for pressure which irritates spouse like anything)
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 22:46   #34
BHPian

A very handy tool indeed. The tomtom 12v charger came handy in this scenario with 2 other usb slots to spare. I was thinking of buying the same but ultimately went for the phone mount charger combo. However i feel this system can be very risky here as there are reports of people getting their valve caps stolen. I think they didnt give any extra caps also. The internal setup seems to be more suitable for indian conditions.
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 14:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

- Why would this device show correct readings only while at motion? There can be a chance that you have a semi deflated tyre already(but was good when you parked it previously) and you do not notice before driving. By the time the device displays correct pressure, may be the tyre would be gone by then?
- How much do the individual sensors cost in case some one flicked it?
- How long do the batteries last?
Old 10th August 2015, 15:13   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post

By the time the device displays correct pressure, may be the tyre would be gone by then?
Once ignition is switched on, approximate figures are displayed but the correct ones are displayed after the speeds go above 20kmph.

Quote:
- How much do the individual sensors cost in case some one flicked it?

- How long do the batteries last?
Yet to experience. Not sure if individual ones are sold.

Last edited by a4anurag : 10th August 2015 at 15:41.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 15:40   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Once ignition is switched on, approximate figures are displayed by the correct one are displayed after the speeds go above 20kmph.

Yet to experience. Not sure of individual and his are sold.
For e.g:
I park the car tonight at 9PM. Lets say a nail has pierced just very recently on rear left tyre. Since its tubeless, it takes quite some time to deflate. During the night, lets say its 80% deflated. I do not inspect the tyres next morning and get into the car. You say it would now show approximate of what remains in the tyre after over night deflation and after its driven over 20kmph, it becomes more accurate.

IF this is the case it serves the purpose. If not, it may not fully serve the purpose. Off all the punctures I have had on my cars in last 12 years, 70% of them have happened when stationary and I notice it after driving a few meters. Even though you wouldn't find visible damage, am sure the tyre would take a severe beating even for few meters when driven at very low pressure/deflated condition.

Also, I really hope the sensors are cheap and easily available. I am not sure how long they can last before getting it misplaced while filling air or any one stealing it. In my experience, even the plastic air caps don't last for over 2 months for me

Last edited by funkykar : 10th August 2015 at 15:41.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 16:44   #38
BANNED

Quote:
During the night, lets say its 80% deflated. I do not inspect the tyres next morning and get into the car. You say it would now show approximate of what remains in the tyre after over night deflation and after its driven over 20kmph, it becomes more accurate.
See the below image:

Name:  ForumRunner_20150810_164111.png
Views: 2340
Size:  313.4 KB

In the above image, I purposefully deflated that particular tyre to see what is the indication I receive upon the "Sensor learning".

All it did was beep ever 1 minute to the pressures were correct. So as you mentioned, the moment the ignition is switched ON and the indication is below the lower value of set pressure then it notifies.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 22:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

I had this a year back and thought I will give an honest feedback. After a month, 2 of the external sensor caps got stolen. Worst, there are no substitute caps available. So, You will be forced to buy a fresh full package again and discard the old one. And that's when I realized, this is NOT meant for Indian condition. If anyone of you are contemplating purchasing a TPMS retrofit, go for internal sensors. Its ideal and much safer in this Indian CHORRY environment. At least you won't be SORRY. About the tire rotation scenario, for internal sensors, I think it is just about making the switch via the system menu i.e., one on right tyre (RHS) could be set to be left tyre (LHS)
iTNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 23:01   #40
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Anurag for this thread ! Very informative.
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 10:49   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice thread Anurag. Thank you for the detailed review and information. Never realized that such a system was available as an add on. Was always thinking that the TPMS is only possible at the manufacturer level and even that was made up of some complex internal system.

I am pretty paranoid about my Tyre pressures and on top of that with my Vento have been quite unlucky- Several punctures in the last year. In most cases it it has been a nice big nail that kind of seals the hole (tubeless tyre). This results in air escaping slowly and always leaves me with a confusion as to whether I am imagining things or whether the tyre has actually lost pressure.

Looks like this is an ideal thing for me to buy.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 19:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So as you mentioned, the moment the ignition is switched ON and the indication is below the lower value of set pressure then it notifies.
Useful install indeed, Anurag

Few questions
How long does the battery in the sensors last for?
Does blaupunkt have a similar model?
Please share the link
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 19:57   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
How long does the battery in the sensors last for?
According to the owners manual, average life is around 3 years. I'll have to see how long they survive in reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Does blaupunkt have a similar model?
Please share the link
Yes. It is Blaupunkt TPM 2.1 USB. Check the links below for the same:

From Blaupunkt website:
http://www.blaupunkt.com/en/nc/produ.../single/11031/

From Amazon.in - MRP: 14800:
http://www.amazon.in/Blaupunkt-TPM214-Black-TPMS-Car/dp/B00R1EBNFE/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1439821315&sr= 1-1&keywords=blaupunkt+TPM

From SnapDeal - MRP: 16990:
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/blau...kt%20TPM%202.1
Old 19th August 2015, 11:21   #44
BHPian

Many thanks for the great find a4anurag! I've just ordered one for myself yesterday for $86.89...since I've had a few hair-raising experiences with tire blowouts with my Vento over the past few years myself, I was drooling over the TPMS in the XUV500. With your pioneering effort, hope to successfully install and use it for my new Creta!
mr.kaybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 10:35   #45
BHPian

Quote:
According to the owners manual, average life is around 3 years. I'll have to see how long they survive in reality.
Hi a4anurag, Its quite sometime now after your installation. How has been the TPMS working, your valuable update is appreciated!

Most Viewed