Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2017, 12:57   #61
BHPian

Re: DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Where did you guys purchase this from? It's also available on Amazon as per their own website.

How easy was the installation and how many days did it take to reach you guys?
I purchased it from their official website.
I haven't installed it yet, as I am waiting for delivery of my car.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 14:58   #62
BHPian

@ bone collector
Purchase was done through amazon. Delivery took a couple of days since I stay in chennai ! Might vary depending on location . They ship it out from Bengaluru! The package was not the best but the contents were safe !
I usually connect my phone via a USB for music so battery backup has not been an issue !
Even if you install the app in a couple of phones you can actually check the readings in any phone provided it is within Bluetooth range and is logged in with the same account !
Plan is to install the app in an old phone and keep it in the car as a dedicated display !
Installation was done in a professional tyre shop; so costs could vary depending on how much they want to charge for labour and balancing ! I paid around 1800 since I also had the alignment done and had nitrogen filled up !
Hope the above helps !
👍🏽
atlantis0965 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 14:20   #63
BHPian

I too installed the TPMS from Tymtix which I directly purchased online from the Bengaluru party. Mounted the 5 sensors on the wheels and the spare wheel of my Honda City. Tyrex in Mulund were well versed in the fitting and they did it just under an hour. Downloaded the app on ios and the pressures and temperatures were immediately visible after pairing with the sensors. As @atlantis0965 mentioned, the value read on the app is roughly 2 psi less than what is indicated by the digital indicators at the filling station. More than a month since installation and everything fine. You need to enable Bluetooth and Location services on IPhone for the sensors to start being visible on the iPhone. Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes for the app to start indicating the values. Beyond a distance of around 15 feet it becomes difficult to pickup the sensor signals. The pressure values keep updating every few minutes sequentially. A guy from Tymtix called me up one day and asked me if I had any problem as he found the pressure values had not updated since quite a few days. (Looks like they do keep a track of it at their end) Thanked him and told that I had not been near the car for a few days so it was not updated. Nice of them to be concerned. Quite happy with the product so far.

Last edited by nitnab : 4th June 2017 at 14:31.
nitnab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 09:58   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
I purchased it from their official website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
Purchase was done through amazon.
👍🏽
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitnab View Post
I too installed the TPMS from Tymtix
Thanks to you guys, I did the install and am happy with the result. I request you guys to give an honest feedback in this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4230095
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 14:34   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to you guys, I did the install and am happy with the result. I request you guys to give an honest feedback in this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4230095
It was in my assembly line. You published it first!
Old 4th September 2017, 15:49   #66
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIP*
A guy from Tymtix called me up one day and asked me if I had any problem as he found the pressure values had not updated since quite a few days. (Looks like they do keep a track of it at their end) Thanked him and told that I had not been near the car for a few days so it was not updated. Nice of them to be concerned. Quite happy with the product so far.
This is quite disconcerting and scary, to be honest. Since you mentioned that this app also needs Location Services turned on; to me what you said above looks like the vendor can see what's happening with your car.

Now, with Location Services being on, would they also know where you are, where you've been, (and maybe when did you go where)? If that is so, it's scary.

Of course, when you call them to ask, I am sure they'll say either such info is not available to them; or that the info certainly is available, but their privacy terms dictate that they not use that info for anything.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 20:33   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
This is quite disconcerting and scary, to be honest. Since you mentioned that this app also needs Location Services turned on; to me what you said above looks like the vendor can see what's happening with your car.

Now, with Location Services being on, would they also know where you are, where you've been, (and maybe when did you go where)? If that is so, it's scary.

Of course, when you call them to ask, I am sure they'll say either such info is not available to them; or that the info certainly is available, but their privacy terms dictate that they not use that info for anything.

Cheers
Thanks tilt. That point never struck me. The app has the enable location services option as "always" and "never". It was earlier in "always" mode. So now I have gone and disabled the location services for that app to "never". Now to get it running I have to switch on Bluetooth, start location services and then switch the app service to "always" before the app can start accessing the sensors. It is a bit more tedious but I hope that is enough to prevent data leakage. Anything more needs to be done to protect privacy?
Old 16th November 2017, 13:09   #68
BHPian

Can someone help me with this - is it recommended to re-balance the wheels after installing the external sensors as well?
Old 16th November 2017, 13:21   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Can someone help me with this - is it recommended to re-balance the wheels after installing the external sensors as well?
Ideally yes as there would be some weight added to the wheel which would change the balance. It's a definite yes for internal sensors and I think same would apply for external sensors as well.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 16:00   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks tilt. That point never struck me. The app has the enable location services option as "always" and "never". It was earlier in "always" mode. So now I have gone and disabled the location services for that app to "never". Now to get it running I have to switch on Bluetooth, start location services and then switch the app service to "always" before the app can start accessing the sensors. It is a bit more tedious but I hope that is enough to prevent data leakage. Anything more needs to be done to protect privacy?
Bolding mine.

Apologies for the delayed response, I completely forgot I posted in this thread.

Well, to answer your question, yes, there is. Get rid of this and get a TPMS that does not need to know your location at all.

I cannot think of any use case where a TPMS needs to know your location. It's not a navigation system.

And BTW, if I remember correctly, Apple has a new policy that locations services can never be "Always" or "Never" only - they absolutely have to have a "While using the app" option. Uber got into trouble for this and now they have fallen in line. That said, I still maintain that a TPMS has no need, ever, to know where you are.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 20:00   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
I got external sensors a few months back.

Recommended - may be. But, I haven't got it done. I usually don't touch the alignment/balancing unless I see some abnormal behaviour or wear pattern. So far so good, and they have seen some terrible Himalayan terrain in the last few months.

At one point, all 4 started beeping non-stop and I was dumbstruck. Took me a while to realize, due to drop in temperature, the pressure had dropped below the alarm threshold of 26 psi.

Happy with the purchase
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 20:29   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A guy from Tymtix called me up one day and asked me if I had any problem as he found the pressure values had not updated since quite a few days. (Looks like they do keep a track of it at their end) Thanked him and told that I had not been near the car for a few days so it was not updated. Nice of them to be concerned. Quite happy with the product so far.
Quote:

Cheers

Hi guys, sorry for replying late on this thread. I checked with the Tymtix people and this is their reply.

Quote:

Hi

Location service is required for our app to communicate with sensors when the app is in background. Basically app will wake up and communicate with sensors when you get close to sensors. This is location specific. This is implemented based on Bluetooth signal and NOT based on gps co-ordinates. We never use GPS and we never save any location related information.

Thanks,
Can someone actually make me understand what they're trying to convey and is it true?

I do get notifications if I don't switch on the app for some time but not always. Once a week or so. I've asked them to remove this location based thing from app and also to make it Android Auto friendly.

Quote:
...... to make it Android Auto friendly.
Quoting my earlier post regarding Android Auto.

DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System-img_20171116_221755.jpg

I hope they are able to do it and it works.

Last edited by GTO : 17th November 2017 at 08:22. Reason: As requested :)
Old 17th November 2017, 11:48   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys, sorry for replying late on this thread. I checked with the Tymtix people and this is their reply.

Quote:

Hi

Location service is required for our app to communicate with sensors when the app is in background. Basically app will wake up and communicate with sensors when you get close to sensors. This is location specific. This is implemented based on Bluetooth signal and NOT based on gps co-ordinates. We never use GPS and we never save any location related information.

Thanks,
Can someone actually make me understand what they're trying to convey and is it true?
Well, a cursory online search shows that as of Android 6.0 Location services have to be on for BLE to work. And apparently Google says it's not a bug, it's by design and that they're not going to do anything about it.

Source: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...d-6-0#44291991. (Read the first answer to the question posted).

So, I am presuming based on your question that you're on an Android device. Unfortunately I am unable to say anything more because I am not familiar with Android.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 12:37   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, a cursory online search shows that as of Android 6.0 Location services have to be on for BLE to work. And apparently Google says it's not a bug, it's by design and that they're not going to do anything about it.

So, I am presuming based on your question that you're on an Android device. Unfortunately I am unable to say anything more because I am not familiar with Android.

Cheers
Thanks. Yes, indeed this works on BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) so that means that anything that requires BLE should have location services switched on as per Google. I'm on an Android but then this explanation suffices.
Old 25th April 2018, 05:28   #75
BHPian

Hello friends, need some help here.

I lost the anti-theft hexagonal nut key that came with the TPMS.
Can I use a normal hexagonal nut spanner? If yes, what number spanner would be required?

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks