Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2015, 00:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi

Unhappy with my Hyundai Authorized Service Center I decided to do the 3rd Engine oil service ( 16,000 Km ) by myself. I was surprised by how easy it was and wanted to share it with fellow Verna owners so that they could do it themselves too if needed.

Below is a list of all the things you will need before you start the Diy.

1) Oil Filter , Part # 26320-2A500 MRP ,459 Rs

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-dsc03447.jpg

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-dsc03439.jpg

2) Air Filter , Part # 28113-1V100 , MRP 346 Rs

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-air-filter.jpg

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-air-filter-package.jpg

3) 17 mm Wrench

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-17mm-wrench.jpg

4) 27 mm Hex socket with L rod and 10 inch extension rod. Total cost 500 Rs

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-27-mm-l-extension-rod.jpg

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-dsc03454.jpg

and this is how they would look if joined together.

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-27-mm-hex-joined.jpg

5) A wide Pan with low height to collect the old oil. Something like the pic below. Sorry , forgot to take pic.

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-oil-pan.jpg

6) Engine oil , between 0W-40 and 15W-40 rating ( Just note that the number after W- must be always 40 due to our climate ), with min. API-CH4 grade or API-CI4 or API-CI4 plus oils. Choose either Mineral or Synthetic , don't buy semi-synthetic !.

Any brand oils can be bought but after reading this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...gine-oils.html , I would choose only oils from either Mobil or Shell as they seem to be the favourites among Verna owners. Mobil Delvac 1 is the hot favourite but availability is scarce.

I went with Shell Rimula R3X API-CH4 , 15W 40 , 7.5 Litres , Cost 1970 Rs. So per liter cost was 263 Rs.

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-rimula-r3x.jpg

7) Jack Stands to lift Front of the car.

Name:  Jack Stands.png
Views: 38772
Size:  124.1 KB

Ok so after getting all of the above stuff's let's get on with the Diy.

1) Make sure that your car is on a flat level ground. Then raise your car with the Jack provided with your car and place the jack stands on both front sides of your car.

2) Go under the engine bay and look for the oil drain bolt right below the front driver side. It's near the front wheel axle , You can not miss it for sure.

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-drain-bolt-2.jpg

Attachment 1424529

Oops sorry , out of focus. I've highlighted the drain bolt in proximity to the wheel.

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-drain-bolt.jpg

3) Now unscrew the oil drain bolt using the 17 mm wrench in anti-clockwise direction. Loosen it first with the wrench and then use your hand to unscrew it fully. Make sure your oil catch pan is ready below and keep it little further away as the oil gushes out a bit far. Let the oil drain for an hour or 2 or more if you want to get rid of every ounce of the old oil

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-dsc03432.jpg

4) Now move on to the top of the engine. Remove the engine cover by just tugging it slowly upwards as shown at the highlighted places. It should just pop off.

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-engine-cover.jpg

5) Unlike in Petrol engines , Verna's CRDi engines oil filter is much easier to locate and work on. It's on the top near the engine as highlighted on the pic.

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-oil-filter-cover.jpg

6) Now use the Hex socket along with the L bar and extension rod unscrew the oil filter cover by turning it in anti-clockwise direction.

Below the old oil filter and the filter cap cover. Slightly wiggle the filter up and down and the filter will come out eventually.

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-dsc03468.jpg

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-dsc03469.jpg

7) Place the new oil filter by just pushing it into the filter cover. Now you need to replace 2 O-rings on the filter cover. One large O-ring and a small O-ring ( which was very difficult to pull out). Remember to lubricate the O-rings with the new engine oil before placing it on the filter cover. It is highlighted on the picture.

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-orings.jpg

You get the O-rings along with a drain bolt crusher with the oil filter itself.

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-dsc03448.jpg

8) By this time all your old oil should have been drained out. Now fix the new crusher on the drain bolt and screw it back on the oil pan in clock wise direction. Just tighten it enough and check that there are no leaks.

9) Now screw back the new oil filter as well in clock wise direction but don't over tighten it as you might break the plastic cover. You have to tighten it with 27 mm socket till it locks , but don't over tighten it.

10) Now open the engine oil cover and pour 5 Liters of your new engine oil. The manual recommends 5.3 liter but after I put 5 liters the oil dip stick showed full. So 5 liters is enough as few other owners on hyundai forums also reported the same thing as well.

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-engine-oil-cover.jpg

Just remember , whatever you do, don't ever over fill with engine oil as that could damage your engine. 5 liters is safe

11) That's it ! Now lift down your vehicle , start and let the engine warm up. Then turn the engine OFF and wait 5 mins. Check your engine oil level with the dip stick and if it's between low and full , you have done a good job.

Hold your chest high and be proud of your manliness at the job you've just accomplished. Not only did you save a lot of money but you have done everything to your satisfaction and also with a huge peace of mind by not having to worry about the incompetent ASC on how they would screw your car next.

I will monitor next week and see if there is a drop in engine oil levels and if a top up of .3 liters is needed and will post an update.

Cheers , hope this helps someone suffering from their dreaded ASC's.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th October 2015 at 12:24. Reason: Point 9 corrected + smileys = 2 per post.
stanjohn123 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 09:34   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi

Good job, one question though & this has always made me curious, what happened to the old engine oil? As far as I've heard & read, in EU & U.S, the engine oil be it mineral or synthetic is sent to recycling in bulk by the service station, and all dealers by law are required to send them to the appropriate agencies and cannot dispose of them any other way as they are toxic.

Have you decided what to do with the old engine oil yet? I'm not sure what the service stations do with them here in India either.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 10:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Good job, one question though & this has always made me curious, what happened to the old engine oil? As far as I've heard & read, in EU & U.S, the engine oil be it mineral or synthetic is sent to recycling in bulk by the service station, and all dealers by law are required to send them to the appropriate agencies and cannot dispose of them any other way as they are toxic.

Have you decided what to do with the old engine oil yet? I'm not sure what the service stations do with them here in India either.
Good question. We need to be responsible and kind to our environment so I decided to give it to my local mechanic , I guess he will dispose it off legally somewhere.

Will ask him where he disposes and update.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 11:35   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

There is absolute joy in working in your cars with your own hands!. I know it first hand.

Doing it yourself will pose a problem of how to dispose off your old oil. Anyhow if you make a trip to the mechanic, ask him to remove the drain plug and oil filter. If you are not ready to dirty your hands, labour is so cheap in India, this will cost like ~150 bucks.

Infact Ford ASS, is now offering a 350 rupee oil + all filters change quick service.

But, if you have time, and you are done with beautification, then nothing like this!
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 12:03   #5
BHPian

Good work. There is so much joy in DIY, that has to be experienced to be understood. I have written off my warranty and have been servicing my car myself ever since she was new. Still runs like new after 56000 kms. Special like for using jackstands. Getting under the car which is just held up by a jack is a very dangerous and stupid thing to do. That said, a few observations from my side -
  • Run the engine for 15 mins prior to draining. Warm oil drains better than cold oil. Also opening the oil input cap aids in easier draining.
  • Prime the oil filter with fresh oil before fitting. In other words, pour some fresh oil on the filter and let it soak. This is to avoid dry running for the first few seconds, when the engine is started, after a filter change.
  • Tighten the oil filter assembly as much as possible by hand and then a quarter turn with the wrench. That will be more than sufficient.
  • Hand over the used oil to a local mechanic or to any ASC. They will dispose it off safely.
  • 0W 40 to 15W40 is a big range. Better to stick to the manufacturer recommended specs. While the number after W - 40 in this case - comes into play only when the engine reaches operating temperatures, it is the number before the W that matters for the crucial few minutes on a cold start.

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 8th October 2015 at 12:06.
PatchyBoy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 14:19   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi

Thank you for this great DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
That said, a few observations from my side
And thank you for your very relevant suggestions, along with the explanation of why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Good job, one question though & this has always made me curious, what happened to the old engine oil? I'm not sure what the service stations do with them here in India either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I decided to give it to my local mechanic , I guess he will dispose it off legally somewhere.
I'd be wary of handing it in to a local shack type of garage mechanic, they're liable to just take it out back and pour it out.

In my opinion, it might be safer to hand it in to either the A.S.S., or a Shell station that does oil changes. Any big name place is likely to have good environmental policies (just ask Volkswagen ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Where did you source the oil filter from?
Apart from spare parts, consumables like oil filters and engine/cabin air filters are available over the counter from Hyundai/MOBIS. For Bangalore, see: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...bangalore.html

Last edited by arunphilip : 8th October 2015 at 14:44. Reason: Response to sagarpadaki
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 14:37   #7
BHPian

It's always pleasing to get things done ourselves. Especially in cases like mine, where the annual running in very low and I'm suspicious if the ASC have actually changed the oil or not.

What about the Air Filter in pictures above? Did you change that too?
Old 8th October 2015, 14:41   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Good DIY. Changing the oil filter in Hyundai diesels is surprisingly easy. Will try this out next time in my i20.

Old 8th October 2015, 15:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
[list][*]Run the engine for 15 mins prior to draining. Warm oil drains better than cold oil. Also opening the oil input cap aids in easier draining.[*]Prime the oil filter with fresh oil before fitting. In other words, pour some fresh oil on the filter and let it soak. This is to avoid dry running for the first few seconds, when the engine is started, after a filter change.
Thanks for that. Will follow this on my next oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debugged View Post
It's always pleasing to get things done ourselves. Especially in cases like mine, where the annual running in very low and I'm suspicious if the ASC have actually changed the oil or not.

What about the Air Filter in pictures above? Did you change that too?
Sorry about that , it's pretty easy. Please see the pic below.

This is the air filter right in front of the battery. Just press open the 3 clips as indicated on the pic and slightly pull up the filter cover to expose the filter. The filter cover won't come out fully , you can only pull up as shown on the second pic. Slide out the old filter through the gap and replace it with the new filter.

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-air-filter-cover.jpg

DIY: Engine Oil & Filter Change on the Hyundai Verna CRDi-air-filter-cover-2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Good DIY. Changing the oil filter in Hyundai diesels is surprisingly easy. Will try this out next time in my i20.

I got the oil filter from 99rpm.com , they delayed the shipment a lot. My suggestion is plan the purchase of items 1 or 2 months in advance prior to the diy. Since Hyundai don't want the items to be easily available over the counter.

I had difficulty even getting the Shell / Mobil oils. So plan the purchase much earlier so you can get what you want.
stanjohn123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 16:41   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Great thread! Inspiring..

Just one question though - won't raising only the front result in some old oil not draining out due to the angle? Usually ASCs do it when the car is lifted up but level.

Apart from providing some workable space, any other reason for lifting the car up? I mean if the GC is generous enough (say in case of SUVs), is it really needed?
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 16:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Great thread! Inspiring..

Just one question though - won't raising only the front result in some old oil not draining out due to the angle? Usually ASCs do it when the car is lifted up but level.

Apart from providing some workable space, any other reason for lifting the car up? I mean if the GC is generous enough (say in case of SUVs), is it really needed?
Thanks. I thought of the same thing too but the drain bolt is such that it is on the bottom edge so I assumed all the oil would drain out. Also I did not lift it too much , just enough for me to go underneath and work on the car.

Yes , if you have sufficient space to work under an SUV , no need to lift the vehicle , it's much easier and safer.
stanjohn123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 00:28   #12
BHPian

Good Job Sir!

What about the warranty is this case? Is there a way in which we can tell Hyundai and update in their log that 3rd service was done ? I dont know how it would work out if you were to visit the Hyundai Service centre for a job that cannot be done as a DIY or for a job that can be put in as a warranty claim.

But good going with the neat documentation and the planning .
TorqMaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 01:32   #13
BHPian

@stanjohn123 I tried ordering for my i20 and 99rpm.com says, sale of hyundai spare parts is not yet started. Did you order it in recent past or much earlier ?
Old 9th October 2015, 09:27   #14
BHPian

The satisfaction of fixing the car all by yourself is immense and no ownership of car can be complete without getting the hands dirty. Very nice direction you have provided for DIY

I take my car to my FNG and change the oil and filter myself using their ramp and tools. Then I pay the guy 150 bucks for helping me. I am satisfied that I have done it myself and not to say the amusement on some of the mechanic's face.

Regards
Old 9th October 2015, 12:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Good Job Sir!

What about the warranty is this case? Is there a way in which we can tell Hyundai and update in their log that 3rd service was done ? I dont know how it would work out if you were to visit the Hyundai Service centre for a job that cannot be done as a DIY or for a job that can be put in as a warranty claim.

But good going with the neat documentation and the planning .
Thanks Sir.

My warranty was already over. My usage is very low and I shuttle between my other cars as well.

To void your warranty they need to prove that as a result of your wrong Diy a problem occurred which is highly unlikely. When you do the DIY just take some pics of the work as proof in case they create any problems.

Also they can not say that they will not work on your car because of your Diy as anyway you will be paying them for their services so I don't think they will be stupid enough to say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shansundar View Post
@stanjohn123 I tried ordering for my i20 and 99rpm.com says, sale of hyundai spare parts is not yet started. Did you order it in recent past or much earlier ?
Yeah they have some problem with getting Hyundai parts , mine was the last item they had before they said they won't have stock for some time. Also I got mine only after a month.

Just ask them when will they get stock again. My advise is to plan your diy 1 or 2 months in advance so you can get all your items ready. Hyundai do not want to make their items readily available over the counter for us to purchase. This is very bad and anti competitive. They want us all to have our cars worked only in their service centers but they do not care to improve their service quality

I also noticed if you purchase from 3rd party vendors outside , they scratch out the MRP and price the items actually much higher than MRP, which is illegal but no one seems to be doing anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
The satisfaction of fixing the car all by yourself is immense and no ownership of car can be complete without getting the hands dirty. Very nice direction you have provided for DIY

I take my car to my FNG and change the oil and filter myself using their ramp and tools. Then I pay the guy 150 bucks for helping me. I am satisfied that I have done it myself and not to say the amusement on some of the mechanic's face.

Regards
Thanks Sir.I'm glad to be of some help to t-bhpians.

Nothing more satisfying than doing the work ourselves.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks