Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2015, 14:00   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Polo DIY: Cruise Control!

A_M_A_Z_I_N_G....brilliant stuff. Just one question , when you do go for regular servicing and assuming some problem with the electricals and your DIY effort is found , would that cause the company to crib about while fixing the electrical problem ? (Maybe a stupid questions since you seem to be capable of tackling any electric issues that might crop up )
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 14:03   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Just one question , when you do go for regular servicing and assuming some problem with the electricals and your DIY effort is found , would that cause the company to crib about while fixing the electrical problem ?
From personal experience - for everything from a blown relay to a malfunctioning roof light, the local FASS claims it is because of cruise control retrofit in my car
Old 17th November 2015, 14:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
From personal experience - for everything from a blown relay to a malfunctioning roof light, the local FASS claims it is because of cruise control retrofit in my car
Well actually I too had Eagle Eye Lights on my car. They were after market but just plug and play type. Still when I went to the workshop and it was just a blown fuse , the service manager told me he could not do anything due to possible modifications in the headlights. I told him it was just plugged in and no wiring modifications were done still he was not willing to help. Finally a local mechanic fixed the fuse and has been working wonderfully since 2 years.
Old 17th November 2015, 14:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Man, I'm blown away. This is one of the best threads ever!
In other news, I opened my cc cluster and turns out, I lost the entire wiring harness that came with it. I'm so bummed!
I may have to order a new one. Maybe I'll message Fernando on ly!
But kudos to such a well e planned retrofit!
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 16:17   #20
BHPian

This qualifies as a GOD level DIY. Cant even imagine doing something like this ever. Your networking amongst the POLO and VW community is really commendable. Keep rocking Sir!
Ameya_G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 17:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

WOW! Brilliant DIY and documentation!

Gannu_1, let me tell you, I am going to buy my next car based on what you own at that point of time!!

One request: Now that you have documented so many DIY on Polo, please start a new thread posting only the DIY links. Other BHP'ens who have completed a DIY on Polo, can add their DIY link in the same thread. Even the list of VCDS mods possible on the Polo can be part o the same thread. This will make it easy to refer.
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 17:35   #22
BHPian

Superb! Gannu Bhai you have done it again. This has to be a 7 Star (*******) DIY. I am just amazed to see how much time you must have put into this. I want to attempt this as I have already attempted many mods on my polo using your guides.

There is one question. My polo doesn't come with the trip on right stalk. Thus please provide me a link so that I can purchase the right wiring and stalks.

Thanks Gannu_1 such a delightful DIY.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th November 2015 at 17:39. Reason: Please avoid the unwanted bits, thanks!
sunilsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 19:12   #23
BHPian

I recall most of you DIYs starting with adding a glove box lamp to several others in between to changing the instrument cluster. And now comes this. I'll bet my torque wrench next on the list is self park

Like old kincade asked bond - what did you say you did for a living? Just curious...

Needless to say how I admire your passion, love of your car and conviction to spend without limits on DIYs. Bravo!
isiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 19:48   #24
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the feedback guys. Appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Took me back to my days of retrofitting cruise control on my Linea T-Jet.
During my research on this subject, I did come across an article on some forum regarding the CC retrofit on your T-Jet. The part that helped me was the ECU connector pic and the layout. Its the same ECU connector used on this car (and several others) as well. Thanks for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamsukh View Post
Wanted to know how much time did this activity take? Am coming to Navsari this weekend and would love to meet up with you.
This and the new steering was installed together and took almost 5 hours. Will send you a PM regarding the visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Well, there are so many stretches on our Indian roads today where one can easily set the CC between 80-90 kmph
Absolutely Paragbhai! During Diwali we drove to Anand and we had set the speed to 90 kmph and the MFD showed an average speed of 72 kmph! We completed the 220 drive in almost 3 hours despite the toll booth, Golden Bridge and one stopover at Honest. Using it for my daily commutes now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
On a different note, since you have changed a lot of stuff from the current steering wheel, headlight etc, and since most of them are expensive have you got these parts endorsed to be covered in your current insurance?
No. I've just left it at that. The part that scares me the most are the tail lights and headlights. Both have been modified and I don't want them to be renewed/replaced any time soon! *touchwood*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
when you do go for regular servicing and assuming some problem with the electricals and your DIY effort is found , would that cause the company to crib about while fixing the electrical problem ?
I get my car serviced at Navsari's VW service center and these chaps are the best. The service advisor is a very enthusiastic person and showed a keen interest when I drove my car into the shop floor for the first time. I interact with the technicians from time to time, share whatever I know with them and they do so to me as well. Really a bunch of nice guys. They don't have any issues with whatever I've modified so far (most of them being OEM any way with zero stock wire cutting/splicing; not a single Scotchlok connector used anywhere in the car).

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
In other news, I opened my cc cluster and turns out, I lost the entire wiring harness that came with it.
As in, you misplaced the wire harness from the parcel? Anyways, let me know when you begin the installation and have any queries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
One request: Now that you have documented so many DIY on Polo, please start a new thread posting only the DIY links.
Sure, will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
There is one question. My polo doesn't come with the trip on right stalk. Thus please provide me a link so that I can purchase the right wiring and stalks.
I couldn't find any links with the right stalk of the current models. Suggest you to check up with the dealers or the last resort - eBay UK/Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
next on the list is self park
None of the Polos have self park FWIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
Like old kincade asked bond - what did you say you did for a living? Just curious...
I've mentioned it in my Intro. Check it out.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 20:01   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Gannu, you are absolutely crazy man . I personally am so clumsy that I mess up doing the simplest of things. Just reading your thread with all the delicate work involved sent shivers up my spine.

Jokes apart, absolutely brilliant. You research/analysis and execution is outstanding. Congratulations.

Can you come to Bangalore and do it for me (or a bunch of us)?
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 20:51   #26
BHPian

There are people who drive cars. Then there are people like Gannu who drive cars to test if their latest mod is working. Hats off to your DIY passion sir. This is a wonderful post
karuvally is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 22:21   #27
BHPian

Gannu, thank you for a brilliant DIY and detailed post. As some members have mentioned earlier, need to read your posts a few times to attempt the critical changes. I have my own "feeble" heart and I will probably think a few thousand times before even opening the ECU connector.

EDIT: As Rajeevraj mentioned, maybe you should come down to Bangalore for a master class session.

Last edited by srinivasnvns : 17th November 2015 at 22:30. Reason: An afterthought reg. post #25.
srinivasnvns is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 23:18   #28
BHPian

Brilliant stuff Gannu. Too technical and sophisticated even for an enthusiast to attempt. The way it all has been documented is extraordinary too. My compliments.
rsm97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 10:14   #29
BHPian

Wow Brilliant DIY and explanation.

Had to read it 2 times to understand 50 percent of it. I recently did a Bombay - Goa drive where i used cruise control on the Bombay - Pune expressway stretch and must say that it sure is a brilliant feature to have and use. All the best and happy driving.
DevSoms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 11:55   #30
BHPian

Gannu bhai, tell me the truth. Which of the below was a bigger effort:
  1. Researching, acquiring all the parts and completing the DIY
  2. taking pictures at every stage, adding animation and call-outs on the pics, and building this thread filled with sheer awesomeness so that some of us could benefit from the same

Thank you for the effort!
bigvishnu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks