Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2016, 10:26   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Polo DIY: Cruise Control!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin_b View Post
I have dropped seller a note on this, but in mean while I stumbled across a pdf from one of the European forum (probably the same person from whom you purchased the stalk) on what needs to be modified for wiring if purchased from Aliexpress. What are your thoughts on that ?
Let the dealer send you the harness, you can have it modified at your end. The blocking diode is an addition in this harness but it can be sourced from your neighbourhood electronic components store. I have already mentioned it in the thread if you didn't notice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
In this harness, the cable from pin 31 (T41) to pin 46 (T73b) has a P-N blocking diode (IN 4001) as per VW's current flow diagram. The diode is provided to block the current in the reverse direction. The Aliexpress cables may not have this diode - please check prior to installation! These diodes are available at your neighbour electronic component shops and retail for Rs. 1 a piece.
You will already have the harness from the T41 connector (stalks) to the T32 connector (cluster) in place.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 09:01   #47
BHPian

@Gannu_1
Do you know if it's possible to do a cruise control retrofit on a Polo 1.6 petrol?
I've got the same BCM as you.
Old 29th June 2016, 10:16   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP9994 View Post
@Gannu_1
Do you know if it's possible to do a cruise control retrofit on a Polo 1.6 petrol?
I've got the same BCM as you.
It is doable for any Polo irrespective of the engine specs. Just that the BCM should be compatible. Its been ages since I accessed ELSAWIN. Let me check the relevant current flow diagram.

In the meantime, can you access the ECU's connector and share a pic? Take all the time you want and do it.
Old 30th June 2016, 10:43   #49
BHPian

Quote:
It is doable for any Polo irrespective of the engine specs. Just that the BCM should be compatible. Its been ages since I accessed ELSAWIN. Let me check the relevant current flow diagram.

In the meantime, can you access the ECU's connector and share a pic? Take all the time you want and do it.
Haven't had the time to take pics of my car but found some on the forum.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post2286938 (VW Polo 1.6 Petrol - 17" Alloys - 5 hole 100 PCD - Sparco Pista X 8J)

Hope this is good enough.
Old 30th June 2016, 20:58   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP9994 View Post
Haven't had the time to take pics of my car but found some on the forum.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post2286938 (VW Polo 1.6 Petrol - 17" Alloys - 5 hole 100 PCD - Sparco Pista X 8J)

Hope this is good enough.
Pin no. 24 of the ECU.

Current flow diagrams applicable for your engine (1.6L MPI, CLSA):

VW Polo DIY: Cruise Control!-1.png

VW Polo DIY: Cruise Control!-2.png
Old 16th August 2016, 07:36   #51
BHPian

For those wary about doing this as a DIY, someone suggested contacting a Bosch service center. I see one in Bangalore at Banerghatta Road, called SK Karzone.

Any idea if they are knowledgeable about doing ECU work?

I was considering asking them if they can fit such an after-market cruise control kit for my 2011 SX4.

Thoughts?
Old 28th August 2016, 17:55   #52
BHPian

@Gannu_1

Hi gannu!

I had been researching on retrofitting a cruise control on my Jetta Comfortline Mk6 for quite some time when I stumbled upon your thread. I have gone through your DIY for retrofitting cruise control in your Polo and it has been documented really well! Do you have any information on the Jetta too? It would be great if you could help me out.
Old 16th August 2017, 15:12   #53
BHPian

Hi Gannu Bhai,

Installed cruise control on my vw polo 1.5 Tdi and works perfectly.
First of all thanks to you for all the information that you had provided in this thread. Installed this at vw chandigarh as they had ordered the part no. 6R0953507B9B9 for the vw polo. Cost was 11000 Rs. Secondly the technician was of immense help.

Few things that I have made a note:
  • For powering the cruise control the wire from the T41-pin 28 to Fusebox 11 is already used by a fuse. For solving that problem I got hold of fuse tap connectors. But the technician came up with a better solution. The Fusebox slot no. 10 is empty. Thus installed a new pin there ( he gave it to me for free ).
  • There is a minor difference in the pin used for T41 connector and the pin used in the ECU connector. I discussed with the technician and then he took a pin from an old ecu connector and clearly the one used in the ecu connector was little thin.

Once again thanks to people like Gannu who inspire folks like me to attempt something like this.
sunilsoft is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 07:31   #54
BHPian

Reviving the old question posted by "carizam".

I recently picked up a pre-worshipped Jetta 1.4TSi CL. Does the BCM on my Jetta support cruise control and it is just a matter of adding the stalk controls?
Old 25th November 2019, 12:48   #55
SLK
Senior - BHPian

So I ordered the stalks from Ali Express. While my car is 2015 GT TSI model, the available stalks were for the 2013, which I'm hoping will fit anyways.

My car doesn't need BCM update I believe, so the installation should be slightly easier. I already have VCDS and ordered the other stuff from amazon India.

I'm hoping that I'll receive all this within the next 30 days and attempt the installation. The only question is whether the wiring that will come along with stalks be complete and whether the ECU pin will fit?

I'll update this thread on my experience.

With CNG UBERs taking over the road, I've been able to cruise 10kmph below the speed limit in my other car for more than 5mins at a stretch, which is a great relief for the right leg as well, in my 2hr NCR drives.
Old 18th May 2020, 18:50   #56
BHPian

If any of you is having a tough time sourcing the 1N4001 diode locally, you can find it in the mobile chargers that charge at 1amp. Most of your old mobile chargers have this power output rating.

In my case, I could find the diode in an old nokia charger. Desoldered it out of the charger and soldered it into my circuit.

VW Polo DIY: Cruise Control!-9287d889cf674cde9b1bf13a84525658.jpeg

VW Polo DIY: Cruise Control!-3fd0fdbef3c4460283d6ae431ca78e19.jpeg

VW Polo DIY: Cruise Control!-783970af57e54433b43502b097ec2c3e.jpeg

VW Polo DIY: Cruise Control!-28194a116e23426281ff01e27b84eafe.jpeg
kingofmyworld is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 19:37   #57

Hi Gannu 1. I want to say thank you for this great tutorial. This made me inspire to retrofit my own updated BCM (from 85 to 87) and cruise control.

You explain the steps very well and It is easy to read so many thanks to that.
There is only one problem I noticed. I like to add the TRIP and OK/Reset buttons to change options on my MFD. But I did not see a wire diagram (preferably in paint because I find it hard to understand the original diagrams)

Do you or any other on the forum have a wire diagram to wire the TRIP and OK/Reset stalk?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd June 2020 at 23:00. Reason: Please type out words in full, refrain from using SMS language.
Jorrick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 22:28   #58

With the help of Ciclo from UK-polos i made some changes to the diagram that Gannu 1 made.

Is it ok if I use this diagram you made?

VW Polo DIY: Cruise Control!-163613.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th June 2020 at 22:59. Reason: u > you. Please avoid using SMS lingo while posting on the forums. :)
Old 6th June 2020, 10:05   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorrick View Post
I like to add the TRIP and OK/Reset buttons to change options on my MFD. But I did not see a wire diagram (preferably in paint because I find it hard to understand the original diagrams)

Do you or any other on the forum have a wire diagram to wire the TRIP and OK/Reset stalk?
There won't be any references to the TRIP and OK/RESET buttons from the cluster in the VW's wiring diagrams. Usually the electrical connector (e.g. T41, T73a, T73b) from a part (switch, cluster, BCM etc) is the only reference in a wiring diagram.

But why do you want to reconfigure these buttons to change the options on the MFD? Don't you have the buttons on the RHS stalk? Even if you attempt this, you will not be able to reset the service reminder when it is due and change the clock settings onboard if you remove the battery terminals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorrick View Post
Is it ok if I use this diagram you made?
Totally!

I made it using MS Paint to include all the parts involved and the related harnesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carizma View Post
Do you have any information on the Jetta too?
Sorry man, no info about the retrofit on the Jetta. I don't have any details about the wiring diagrams or the parts. Have you checked vwvortex forums or the drive2.ru blogs for any information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
If any of you is having a tough time sourcing the 1N4001 diode locally, you can find it in the mobile chargers that charge at 1amp.
Hi, I suppose you had sent me a PM some time back asking for the pin no. of the ECU for the 1.2 TSI engine? Sorry I must have missed the PM! For the benefit of others, it is pin no. 45 of the T94 ECU connector. Just checked the wiring diagram.

VW Polo DIY: Cruise Control!-1.png

Name:  2.PNG
Views: 2234
Size:  40.4 KB

VW Polo DIY: Cruise Control!-3.png

W.r.t sourcing the IN4001 diode you had salvaged from the charger, were you unable to source one from the local electronic components outlet? Nice salvage!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1.2_CBZ_CRUISE.pdf (109.3 KB, 297 views)

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th June 2020 at 01:21. Reason: Added response to an earlier post.
Old 12th June 2020, 01:02   #60
BHPian

Quote:

W.r.t sourcing the IN4001 diode you had salvaged from the charger, were you unable to source one from the local electronic components outlet? Nice salvage!
Well it was during the lockdown period and there were absolutely no stores open. So tried my ways and found an alternate source to salvage it
kingofmyworld is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks