Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2015, 11:47   #46
BANNED

Re: DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM & Anti-Glare ORVMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
If my SA is able to send the pictures of the bracket, I will at least be able to place order meanwhile. (
Thank you for the pictures of the IRVM mounting bracket.

Have sent the pictures of the bracket to the seller. Expecting a reply soon with the suitable mounting bracket that you can use to go ahead to order.

I'll intimate you as soon as I get a response. Thanks.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 18:54   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a response from the seller Bing Chen - There is no matching mounting bracket for XUV :(

That leaves two options - well actually one. Remove full IRVM from windshield, and use any assembly and stick properly.

Or otherwise, just leave it
Old 9th December 2015, 22:56   #48
BANNED

Was browsing PayTm for accessories offers and I landed upon the convex mirrors (a.k.a Blind spot mirrors) for Rs 59 after 50% cashback offer. It is good to drive around with them attached as I get a better idea of who is there behind rather me having to bend/lean to check.

Blind Spot mirror clipped-on
DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM & Anti-Glare ORVMs-img_20151201_133817horz.jpg

IRVM Mounting bracket cover:
DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM & Anti-Glare ORVMs-img_20151209_164956.jpg

Looks neat now as compared to exposed bracket + screws.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 10:35   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Got a response from the seller Bing Chen - There is no matching mounting bracket for XUV :(

That leaves two options - well actually one. Remove full IRVM from windshield, and use any assembly and stick properly.

Or otherwise, just leave it
Hi Avinash,

Were you able to get the IRVM installed? Please share details if you have done that. Could you pls share the pictures of the mounting bracket on XUV if you have it handy? I am also interested to know how to remove that IRVM assembly. I tried once, but failed and didn't want to risk breaking something by putting a lot of pressure.

Thanks for your help !
Old 22nd December 2015, 10:49   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADAS View Post
Were you able to get the IRVM installed?
No, I did not. The reason purely being - no availability of mounting bracket from the AliExpress seller.

The only way to fix it would be to entirely remove the IRVM along with it's full mounting. That would be like a fresh windshield without IRVM and then you can fix anything on it like an IRVM from Swift or Creta! I did not want to go ahead with this option hence plans cancelled.

To remove the IRVM mounting cover, it's not very easy. I had sourced pictures of mounting bracket without cover from my RM/SA via WhatsApp.

Hope this helps.
abirnale is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:16   #51
BHPian

Quote:
No, I did not. The reason purely being - no availability of mounting bracket from the AliExpress seller.

The only way to fix it would be to entirely remove the IRVM along with it's full mounting. That would be like a fresh windshield without IRVM and then you can fix anything on it like an IRVM from Swift or Creta! I did not want to go ahead with this option hence plans cancelled.

To remove the IRVM mounting cover, it's not very easy. I had sourced pictures of mounting bracket without cover from my RM/SA via WhatsApp.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Avinash for the quick response. It's unfortunate that Mahindra decided to have a unique mount design for XUV .

May be a "clip-on" type is the way to go for XUV owners. A quick search on google shows there are few products available which claims to be clip-on and battery powered. Need to do more research. Will update if I succeed with any.
PADAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:24   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a clip On mirror kind from my SX4. Does not really work well. you go on a rough road and it will misalign. You touch the mirror once and only camera knows what it is recording. The integrated IRVM with Dimming feature and camera is what I would recommend.
abirnale is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 23:23   #53
BHPian

Installed rear view auto-dimming mirror in my Polo today. This should have been given as standard accessory when manufactures talking about 5 star safety.
I took the power from Dome light power connector. I just inserted the cable from back side of the connector and did the insulation, so that the cable would not come out.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM & Anti-Glare ORVMs-dsc_0420.jpg  

Old 17th April 2016, 12:28   #54
BANNED

6 months UPDATE:

It's nearing 6 months and approximately 19000 kms since I have installed them on my Swift and have been fairing well.

No issues in functionality at all. No shaking or fine vibrations of the IRVM or ORVM at all.

Two issue that I am facing are,

1) The green light is a bit too bright at night and gets irritating so I have thought to use a black marker pen to lighten the green light output.

2) Power 'ON/OFF' button in the centre has become slightly loose as I keep the unit OFF at day time and only use it at nights. May be the repeated usage of the burn has made it go loose. China material after all.

It vibrates at certain speeds/RPM! Have to fix this. Thinking to use a small piece of clear cellophane tape over the switch.

Apart from these nothing more.

Last edited by a4anurag : 17th April 2016 at 12:30.
Old 18th April 2016, 08:42   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
1) Inside Rear View Mirror – Changeover from Manual to Auto:

The Day/Night mirror in my car is a manually controlled mirror that needs a flip to change modes (Day or Night).

I enquire with the seller for the possibility of fitting the same on my Maruti Suzuki Swift..
My Kwid's IRVM doesn't seem to have any screws holding it, but rather seems to be attached the the windshield using glue. Is there any hope for installing an Auto Dimming mirror for Kwid owners? help
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM & Anti-Glare ORVMs-edited-size.jpg  

DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM & Anti-Glare ORVMs-edited-size-2.jpg  

DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM & Anti-Glare ORVMs-20160418_085113.jpg  

DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM & Anti-Glare ORVMs-20160418_085138.jpg  

Last edited by wadewilson : 18th April 2016 at 09:01.
Old 18th April 2016, 08:52   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
My Kwid's IRVM doesn't seem to have any screws holding it, but rather seems to be attached the the windshield using glue. Is there any hope for installing an Auto Dimming mirror for Kwid owners?
What you'll need to do is, use a mallet and knock the IRVM off the windshield.

Once you do that post a picture of the bracket here. I'll check if that bracket exists with the seller. If yes, then you can buy it and do a DIY.

This is my Swift's OEM bracket:
DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM & Anti-Glare ORVMs-2.-oem-bracket.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 09:04   #57
BHPian

Quote:
What you'll need to do is, use a mallet and knock the IRVM off the windshield.
But I'm afraid that after knocking off the IRVM off the windshield, I won't be able to attach the bracket back as it is held by glue :(
Old 18th April 2016, 09:07   #58
BANNED

Quote:
But I'm afraid that after knocking off the IRVM off the windshield, I won't be able to attach the bracket back as it is held by glue
Why not visit your ASC and get some help of the trained mechanics who would stick it back for you or ask them if they have an IRVM in spare that could be present in their stores department. Get one from there and post an image.
Old 18th April 2016, 09:24   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Why not visit your ASC and get some help of the trained mechanics who would stick it back for you or ask them if they have an IRVM in spare that could be present in their stores department. Get one from there and post an image.
That's a great idea. I'm going to be visiting them after my exams for the cars first service so if they have an IRVM in spare, I could definitely inquire about it and upload a photo of it. Thank you
Old 18th April 2016, 10:37   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But I'm afraid that after knocking off the IRVM off the windshield, I won't be able to attach the bracket back as it is held by glue :(
Is it not possible to buy the IRVM with completely new type of bracket right from the bottom portion where it is stuck on the glass? That way, none of us have to care for what is OEM bracket but simply trash the OEM and fit this new IRVM?

The thought process is - some or the other way, all OEM IRVMs that are stuck on the windshield should be easy to knock off and use a brand new after market setup!

This is the thought that is running on my mind for my XUV actually

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks