Team-BHP - VW Polo DIY: Adding a luminous ring to the 12v socket
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do it yourself (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/)
-   -   VW Polo DIY: Adding a luminous ring to the 12v socket (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/171322-vw-polo-diy-adding-luminous-ring-12v-socket.html)

VW POLO DIY: Adding Luminous Ring To The 12v Recepatcle/ Cigarette Lighter

So the new facelift polo’s didn’t come with a luminous ring around the 12v receptacle, making it difficult to see it and rendering the compartment behind useless to keep things as there wasn’t any sort of light reaching it. Another tiny cost cut by VW! I would like to thank Gannu for helping me out with this DIY and it is the first DIY I’m posting, so my apologies if it isn’t upto the mark:). I was alone while doing this, so a few steps wouldn't allow me to take pictures. will try doing better next time !

Things you’ll need:

1. 2- Small flat head screw drivers

2. Luminous light ring :source – aliexpress - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/OEM-H...927501292.html

3. Masking tape

4. Patience

Procedure:

1. Mask the area around the receptacle, to avoid any sort of scuff marks ( got a few scuffs on mine inspite of masking them , so be generous.

VW Polo DIY: Adding a luminous ring to the 12v socket-img_7146.jpg

2. Using the small flat head screw driver, push against the plastic tabs on either side shown, and wedge the metal ring out slowly. Wasn't able to take a picture since i was doing it alone, but its pretty straight forward.

VW Polo DIY: Adding a luminous ring to the 12v socket-img_7147.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Adding a luminous ring to the 12v socket-img_7151.jpg

NOTE: this was pretty hard, the tabs dont get pushed in that easily as the new luminous ring tabs, so be patient, try getting a friend to tag alone so one of you could push down on the tab and the other wedge the metal recepatcle from the black non luminous ring. would be so much more easier!

3. Once the metal socket ring is wedged out, the black plastic ring should come out easily. Disconnect the metal ring from the connector by releasing the tab and pass the socket through the new luminous ring, the two connectors of the rings come in contact with the socket when pushed in acting as a power source to the bulb. Now connect it back and turn on your parking lights to check if they work!
VW Polo DIY: Adding a luminous ring to the 12v socket-img_7157.jpg
VW Polo DIY: Adding a luminous ring to the 12v socket-img_7158.jpg

4. Now that your sure that it works disconnect the receptacle and pass the connector through the luminous ring and fit it into the hole, careful when you do this, once the ring is in postion connect the receptacle back again and orient it to the groves of the ring and push it down so it is flush with the ring.

VW Polo DIY: Adding a luminous ring to the 12v socket-img_7159.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Adding a luminous ring to the 12v socket-img_7166.jpg

5. As mentioned earlier, since i was alone, i couldn't take pictures of certain steps , will be glad to help if you're stuck at some point. Enjoy!

Very nice! :)

To take out the receptacle without scratching the trim, here's an easier workaround using a binder clip:

VW Polo DIY: Adding a luminous ring to the 12v socket-clip.jpg

Take a loop out of the clip, extend the arms out a bit and insert them into the sockets like this:

VW Polo DIY: Adding a luminous ring to the 12v socket-aa0b944s960.jpg

Extend the arms and pull out the receptacle.

Man, VW has cleverly cut down costs on the newer cars. The indigenously developed 086 BCM that supports cruise control, this and God knows what else!

Thank you Gannu! I did try this out, but I felt the black opaque ring is of very hard plastic which refused to budge! But the clip works like a charm with the orange translucent ring because it was way more flexible than the black one. Also, maybe the clip was of poor quality, because, it went out of shape while trying it out with the non luminous ring :)

Wow. This is cool. Can this be done with any car socket. The size should be the same i guess. If yes, then i can also think of trying. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desmosedici (Post 3871178)
Wow. This is cool. Can this be done with any car socket. The size should be the same i guess. If yes, then i can also think of trying. :)

Yeah, it should be possible, since the rings are of a universal size. The only niggle you might face, is if you don't have enough room for the bulb housing under the trim.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leprechaun (Post 3872049)
Yeah, it should be possible, since the rings are of a universal size. The only niggle you might face, is if you don't have enough room for the bulb housing under the trim.

Can you measure the depth in your car and let me know. I can also try the same and check if its possible. Ideally i think it should but now since you have mentioned it, its always better to check instead of trying to risk it. :)

Cheers,
Raj

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desmosedici (Post 3872050)
Can you measure the depth in your car and let me know. I can also try the same and check if its possible.

Hey Raj, the depth stands the same even after the retrofit, what you might want to check out is if you have space circumferentially, let's say half an inch or so should suffice. AFAIK, it should normally have sufficient space.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leprechaun (Post 3872265)
Hey Raj, the depth stands the same even after the retrofit, what you might want to check out is if you have space circumferentially, let's say half an inch or so should suffice. AFAIK, it should normally have sufficient space.

Cool Man. Thanks for that. I'll order it. :)

Happy to help Raj, also the luminous rings come in fluorescent green too, so you can sort of match either your cluster or head unit backlights :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by leprechaun (Post 3872580)
Happy to help Raj, also the luminous rings come in fluorescent green too, so you can sort of match either your cluster or head unit backlights :)

Oh Cool. i was under the impression that we get it only in red. I'll try for blue if available. It will match with the Ecosport's interior. Thanks :)

Hey Raj, suddenly I'm doubtful of the compatibility now, before buying the ring just try removing your 12v socket and see if the below circled part in the picture is available in your socket, because that's the one that acts as power terminal to light the ring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leprechaun (Post 3872885)
Hey Raj, suddenly I'm doubtful of the compatibility now, before buying the ring just try removing your 12v socket and see if the below circled part in the picture is available in your socket, because that's the one that acts as power terminal to light the ring.

Great. Thanks for the tip. I shall check that out.

I did this yesterday and it wasn't an easy affair as I thought, and It didn't work either.

should both the ends of the metal pins on the luminous clip be touching the metal strip ? only one end is touching in mine and it isn't working.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kishore1984 (Post 4064168)
I did this yesterday and it wasn't an easy affair as I thought, and It didn't work either.

should both the ends of the metal pins on the luminous clip be touching the metal strip ? only one end is touching in mine and it isn't working.

Yes Kishore , ensure both pins are in contact with the metal strip i've circled out. Hope you get it working !

Hi Folks, With much struggle, I pulled out the OE socket but while trying to fit the luminous ring into the placeholder, I accidentally pushed the connector inside and now do not have any visibility of it. Can someone help?