Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2015, 18:54   #1
bkc
BHPian

Swift DIY - Sliding armrest with USB, LED illuminated storage, cupholder and ashtray

Mods, please merge, if a separate thread is not needed.
I was spoilt using wide armrest on the magnum and wanted the same on my swift zdi 2015. I have used in my friends rapid and found it to be narrow through height can be adjusted.
I was just browsing through and found one on amazon for rs 1650/- . Below is the link:
http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B018...rhf_pe_p_img_1

Received the product in two days and found one base part, broken. However, this part is not useful for swift as it has side adjustment which can never be done on swift as the gap between the front seats are limited. I removed the part separately.
Below is the image of the breakage in the bottom assembly.
Swift DIY - Sliding armrest with USB, LED illuminated storage, cupholder and ashtray-bottom.jpg

After separating the bottom assembly, you get the below plate, which can be fitted on the handbrake cover.
Swift DIY - Sliding armrest with USB, LED illuminated storage, cupholder and ashtray-track.jpg
If one see the assembly, it is pretty easy for you to know, which part should be separated.
If you observe the image below, I have fixed the plate shown above, on to the hand brake cover by using two screws shown in Red (source 1 inch screws from nearby hardware shop. (you can mark the cover or directly hole the cover with a heated compass, for the screw to enter easily)
Swift DIY - Sliding armrest with USB, LED illuminated storage, cupholder and ashtray-screw.jpg.

Once the screw is tightened, the job is pretty simple; just slide-in the arm rest into the two tracks, as you can see in the above pic.
After installation, the armrest will look as below.
Swift DIY - Sliding armrest with USB, LED illuminated storage, cupholder and ashtray-handbrake.jpg
It can be height adjusted one step using a button below the lid of the compartment and it would look like below.
Swift DIY - Sliding armrest with USB, LED illuminated storage, cupholder and ashtray-top-slide.jpg

Other images:
Compartment LED's, powered by two 'AAA' sized batteries. Lights goes off, when the lid is closed.
Swift DIY - Sliding armrest with USB, LED illuminated storage, cupholder and ashtray-lite.jpg
Ash tray for smoking people and USB's for co-passengers.
It is powered by car 12V socket. The package contains a car charger with usb male to male cable. The armrest front also has two USB's, if one is connected with that charger, all the remaining ports can be used for phone charging. I suggest using a 2.0Amp or more charger, if multiple phones are charged simultaneously.
Swift DIY - Sliding armrest with USB, LED illuminated storage, cupholder and ashtray-ash-tray.jpg

Cup holder but, doesnt feel sturdy.
Swift DIY - Sliding armrest with USB, LED illuminated storage, cupholder and ashtray-cup-holder.jpg

Negatives:
1) The quality of the product looks average but will last.
2) The sides of the armrest touch the front seats but do not trouble the co-passengers.
3) Charger given is not of higher ampere and you'd need a higher ampere one.
4) Packaging was bad; as a result, the bottom part (not used in our case) was broken.
5) The plastic piece that acts as a lid to cover the USB's doesn't last the distance and is not a significant part.

Positives:
1) Wide and can be used by driver and front co passenger. (wifey and myself both use)
2) Conveniently slides to and fro for proper hand reach. (One step adjustment too)
3) Seems like art leather and matches the swift interiors.
4) Easy to install and illuminated storage is good at night.

Note: Be cautious, to put off the fire inside car, used to heat your compass.

Last edited by GTO : 21st December 2015 at 12:52. Reason: Swapping positive & negative titles :)
bkc is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 20:10   #2
BHPian

re: Swift DIY - Sliding armrest with USB, LED illuminated storage, cupholder and ashtray

Nice thread! But you got confused with positives and negatives, didn't you?!
sibi6613 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 22:47   #3
bkc
BHPian

re: Swift DIY - Sliding armrest with USB, LED illuminated storage, cupholder and ashtray

Yes! sorry about it sibi. Just was over cautious about the sentences and forgot the basic stuff
Old 3rd January 2016, 11:08   #4
BHPian

Re: Swift DIY - Sliding armrest with USB, LED illuminated storage, cupholder and ashtray

@bkc, thanks for sharing.
I tried one of these universal handrests, but they kind of interfere with gear shits in that I have to crook my arm to access the gear shifts. So, I end up using this only on highway drives.

Do you experience the same with this handrest?
Old 10th January 2016, 15:05   #5
bkc
BHPian

Re: Swift DIY - Sliding armrest with USB, LED illuminated storage, cupholder and ashtray

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
@bkc, thanks for sharing.
I tried one of these universal handrests, but they kind of interfere with gear shits in that I have to crook my arm to access the gear shifts. So, I end up using this only on highway drives.

Do you experience the same with this handrest?

IMO - that is the case with any armrest. I have stock armrest on my optra but rub my elbow or twist my wrist to change gears.
If the gear throws of the car is long then, twisting wrist is out of question.
bkc is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed