Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2022, 10:57   #151
BHPian

Re: Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi. EDIT - Reliability concerns on page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
When a car is at standstill in slow traffic or at a red light on a signal, its perfectly fine to switch off the headlights. In fact this should be done to reduce electrical load and fuel consumption, and increase battery life. Rest assured, I switch the lights on before the car is in motion.
I would strongly disagree with you here. Headlights at the front of the car have a two fold purpose. One is to see, and the other is to be seen. So if you switch off your headlights at any time at night while on the road, you are seriously minimising the chances of either oncoming traffic, or traffic behind you, seeing you, thereby increasing the chance of an accident.

Your theory that it increases battery life is counterintuitive, as when your Engine is on, your alternator is actually providing a charge to your battery. Every time you turn the car off and crank your engine, you are actually reducing the charge in your battery. This also applies to cars with an auto start stop feature, hence some do prefer to keep this feature off so the car doesn't unnecessarily stop and start. But in this scenario, manufacturers do ensure that lights stay on even when the car engine stops. So the key is keeping your lights on even when at standstill at night, irrespective of whether your car is on or off.

Quote:
As for driving only with fog lights on, I'd like to see the rule/law in India (and aborad as prevelant- it well may be the case in some countries). Kindly point me to it. In case there is such a law in India, I'll of course abide by it!
The UK Highway Code states the following under Driving in adverse weather conditions (226 to 237), specifically Rule 236:

Quote:
You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.
Lets bring it closer to home. The Indian Motor Vehicle Driving Regulation 2017 states the following under 31.5 Vehicle Lighting:

Quote:
(5)The driver shall switch on the fog light headlamps only when visibility is considerably affected due to fog, dust, storm, rain or snow and only with dipped head lamps.
Hope this makes it clear about the correct use of Fog lights. I encourage you to have a proper headlight setup without blind spots so that Fog lights can be used correctly.

Quote:
In the end, the purpose of lights is to ensure safety. Increased road visibility increases safety, and it's obvious this should be without dazzling oncoming vehicle drivers. So if a particular setup achieves that, that's the way to go. Do bear in mind that the standards followed by most manufacturers are not suitable to Indian conditions, and that's exactly why you and I had to go for an upgrade.
Agreed. Either way, we should still follow safe and best driving practices. If you and I are two in a million that follow the proper use of Fog Lights, then there is a good chance that a third may realise and follow, followed by others. And that, my friend, is how change can happen!
Old 19th May 2022, 12:35   #152
ais
BHPian

Re: Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi. EDIT - Reliability concerns on page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Your theory that it increases battery life is counterintuitive, as when your Engine is on, your alternator is actually providing a charge to your battery. Every time you turn the car off and crank your engine, you are actually reducing the charge in your battery. This also applies to cars with an auto start stop feature, hence some do prefer to keep this feature off so the car doesn't unnecessarily stop and start. But in this scenario, manufacturers do ensure that lights stay on even when the car engine stops. So the key is keeping your lights on even when at standstill at night, irrespective of whether your car is on or off.

The UK Highway Code states the following under Driving in adverse weather conditions (226 to 237), specifically Rule 236:

Lets bring it closer to home. The Indian Motor Vehicle Driving Regulation 2017 states the following under 31.5 Vehicle Lighting
Thanks for providing the rule on fog lights usage. Point taken. I'll probably go for Nightbreaker in fog lamps as a result.

As for other points-

It is in fact advisable to minimize electrical load even with engine idling (and definitely when engine is off).

https://www.exidecare.com/blog/batte...r-battery-life

"#Tip 4 - Try not to use electronics when idling

Prolonged periods of idling in a car with the music system, lights and air conditioner on, is not really favourable for your car battery. Try to reduce battery dependency as much as possible, especially when your engine isn't turned on. Also, every time you step out of your car, remember to turn off the headlights and other electronic gadgets."

This of course prolongs the life of the lights too. Manufacturers keeping lights on after engine is switched off is the Guide Me/Follow Me type feature, which can be turned of if not needed.

Finally again- when in slow moving traffic, on well lit roads with a divider, when traffic stops- it perfectly fine to switch the headlights off. Keeping them on will strain your eyes from the reflection from the vehicle ahead, especially the tempo, autorickshaw type that have a reflective paint on a vertical surface. Hope that clarifies.

Regarding the DHC LEDs, they are perfectly safe, well focussed with an excellent beam pattern and a nice yellowish colour. Nothing wrong with the headlight setup!

Most Viewed