Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2017, 13:03   #121
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi. EDIT - Reliability concerns on page 8

It is almost 1+year and 14,000KMs after my Vento's headlight was upgraded with Marimoto FX-R 3.0, with 55W ballast and 35W HID bulb.

Post installation I have not faced any issues. It is absolutely how it was on the first day of installation. The focus/alignment and all functionalities including leveling are working as expected. Most importantly, it enabled my long distance night drives.

It was a 100% DIY job over 2 days(Thanks to shashank.nk), and all the parts were brought from TRS and hand-carried to Bangalore from US. We just followed Gannu_1 thread, but adapted for FX-R.

Last edited by manjubp : 26th January 2017 at 13:11.
manjubp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 15:38   #122
Team-BHP Support

Re: Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi. EDIT - Reliability concerns on page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
It is almost 1+year and 14,000KMs after my Vento's headlight was upgraded with Marimoto FX-R 3.0, with 55W ballast and 35W HID bulb.

Post installation I have not faced any issues. It is absolutely how it was on the first day of installation. The focus/alignment and all functionalities including leveling are working as expected. Most importantly, it enabled my long distance night drives.

It was a 100% DIY job over 2 days(Thanks to shashank.nk), and all the parts were brought from TRS and hand-carried to Bangalore from US. We just followed Gannu_1 thread, but adapted for FX-R.
That is fantastic! Good to hear that you are having no issues with your FX-R installation. This proves that if you go for quality components and a clean and reliable install, projector upgrade will definitely work.

How is the fit of the FX-R? When I was installing the projectors, I wanted to go with FX-R, but I found it was too big and was touching the glass of the headlight and could not be adjusted for the full range. Aren't you facing any such issues?
Old 28th January 2017, 08:44   #123
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
How is the fit of the FX-R? When I was installing the projectors, I wanted to go with FX-R, but I found it was too big and was touching the glass of the headlight and could not be adjusted for the full range. Aren't you facing any such issues?
FX-R stage-III, 3 inch one was really a touch and go. We have to redo the work on first setup, as the projector lens was touching the headlight glass. We have to cut the shroud too, more than what we wanted. Dremel tool set was of great help here, along with helping hands of shashank.nk.
Key thing is to tie all the cables appropriately, no loose/hanging/exposed cables or components, good sealing of headlight, prior planning/preparation and lot of patience.

While my DIY went well, I would suggest to go for 2.5inch rather than 3inch, but 3inch can also be well fitted, if planned well. I am sure, if we redo the same, we would do for better job and in much lesser time. If one follows Gannu_1's thread, I am sure the outcome will be satisfactory. In my case, I am happy, no issues till now. Here are few close-ups.

Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi. EDIT - Reliability concerns on page 8-img_1596.jpg

Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi. EDIT - Reliability concerns on page 8-img_1597.jpg

Last edited by manjubp : 28th January 2017 at 09:02.
manjubp is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 08:44   #124
Team-BHP Support

Last week, I upgraded the headlights to OEM BiXenon projectors.

Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi. EDIT - Reliability concerns on page 8-dsc06663_censored.jpg

Documented the DIY in detail in the below thread.

Polo GT TSi Install: OEM Bi-Xenons with BCM Max Upgrade
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 16:58   #125
BHPian

Guys, the new vento highline plus has LED headlights with DRL.

Any idea if this can be retrofitted into the 2016 Polo GT Tsi out of the box?

Supposedly these are the same lights that are in the GTI

And any drawbacks of LED lights?
Old 8th April 2017, 17:26   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Guys, the new vento highline plus has LED headlights with DRL.

Any idea if this can be retrofitted into the 2016 Polo GT Tsi out of the box?

Supposedly these are the same lights that are in the GTI

And any drawbacks of LED lights?
The Vento Highline Plus comes with 089 BCM which supports LED headlights. The one in the Polo GT is 087. So, you will not have all the functions out of the box. You can do a retrofit using a 10 pin to 14 pin converter cable assembly to get the high beam, low beam and turn indicators to work. But you will not have proper DRL support. You will have to wire the DRLs to the parking light and manually turn them on. I think (I may be wrong), you will not be able to implement the manual headlight leveling function. You will have to install AFS with angle sensor for auto leveling of headlights.

From what I read about LEDs vs. BiXenons, the opinions were mixed. Some said LEDs are more bling than performance, while others said LEDs perform equally as the BiXenons. My suggestion would be to take a test drive of the Vento Highline Plus in the night time and see the performance for yourself and then decide.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 14:42   #127
BHPian

Hi graaja, how are your OEM projectors doing after burning them for many hours?
I hope you haven't come across any performance difference since the installation.

Thanks,
keeru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 15:00   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeru View Post
Hi graaja, how are your OEM projectors doing after burning them for many hours?
I hope you haven't come across any performance difference since the installation.

Thanks,
The OEM projectors have been performing brilliantly - touchwood. I have not noticed any drop in performance. But I think it is too early to notice any performance difference.
Old 12th February 2019, 17:31   #129
BHPian

Re: Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi EDIT - Reliability Concerns Noted (Page#8)

Quote:
LED INDICATOR LAMPS UPGRADE:
Do you know what bulb size is required for both the front and back set of indicators? Looking to change to LED and buy either Philips/Osram bulbs.

Thanks.
Old 12th February 2019, 17:49   #130
Team-BHP Support

Re: Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi EDIT - Reliability Concerns Noted (Page#8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Do you know what bulb size is required for both the front and back set of indicators? Looking to change to LED and buy either Philips/Osram bulbs.

Thanks.
Apologies. I don't remember which was the particular model. I should have documented this as well

Maybe someone else can give this information.
Old 12th February 2019, 17:54   #131
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
It should be PY21W / BAU15s type (150 degree bayonet). Correct me if I'm wrong.

You can check DBHPian Sankar's thread on LED conversion that he did on his Polo GT TDI. Link to that thread.

Quote:
I don't remember which was the particular model.

Last edited by a4anurag : 12th February 2019 at 17:55.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 21:37   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Introduce a diode between the low beam signal from the wiring harness and the low beam input of the relay module. The anode of the diode should be connected to the low beam signal of the wiring harness, and the cathode to the relay module. Introduce another diode between the high beam signal on the wiring signal to the low beam input of the relay module. Anode should be on the high beam signal and cathod should be on the low beam input of the relay module.

This is how the setup would work.

A diode allows signal to pass only in one direction. If there is no signal on the low beam signal and there is a signal on the high beam signal, then the diode will pass the high beam signal to the low beam input of the relay card. This will turn on the HID ballasts as well and the lights would come on. During normal operation when the low beam signal is present, the diode from the high beam signal will not do anything.
This forum is awesome!! Person can always find some information to solve his/her problem!!

So, today I got my Bi-LED projector. It works pretty much on same principle as Bi-Xenon and it also has solenoid. However, it is of 40W so I don't need any relay or additional wiring. I can just connect it to the stock wiring. Below is the photo of projector.

Installed! Bi-Xenon Projectors on my VW Polo GT TSi. EDIT - Reliability concerns on page 8-images-9-20200522t211622.973.jpeg

The projector comes with 4 wires. High beam +/- and low beam +/-. To make things simple, I connected an H4 male pin to the projector wires and plugged it to the stock H4 socket. When I turned on low beam, nothing happened. When I turned on high beam, light came up. At that point I couldn't understand what was it. So, I reconnected the wires with the male H4 pin but this time only low beam + and -. Repeated same procedure. Nothing happened in low beam mode( no lights) but when I turned on high beam, low beam light of the projector came on.

I guess this is pretty much same problem that you have described right? Can you please give your thoughts on it. I think I also need to connect diode as you mentioned.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:39. Reason: Spacing
Old 23rd May 2020, 20:39   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbhavesh View Post
The projector comes with 4 wires. High beam +/- and low beam +/-. To make things simple, I connected an H4 male pin to the projector wires and plugged it to the stock H4 socket. When I turned on low beam, nothing happened. When I turned on high beam, light came up. At that point I couldn't understand what was it. So, I reconnected the wires with the male H4 pin but this time only low beam + and -. Repeated same procedure. Nothing happened in low beam mode( no lights) but when I turned on high beam, low beam light of the projector came on.

I guess this is pretty much same problem that you have described right? Can you please give your thoughts on it. I think I also need to connect diode as you mentioned.
Can you verify the following?

1. When you turn on low beam, are you hearing some shutter sound in the light assembly while the light is not glowing?
2. When you turn on the high beam and the light turns on, are you hearing the shutter sound?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:39. Reason: Formatting in quoted post
Old 23rd May 2020, 20:53   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Can you verify the following?

1. When you turn on low beam, are you hearing some shutter sound in the light assembly while the light is not glowing?
2. When you turn on the high beam and the light turns on, are you hearing the shutter sound?
When connected all four wires,

1) When i turn on low beam, no shutter sound. No light.
2) When i turn on hi beam, shutter sound and light both are there.

I checked projectors separately. They are working all right. Seller has confirmed that diodes must be added to the circuit. As I am not using separate wiring harness, I am waiting for seller to give me exact diagram of the wiring.
Old 23rd May 2020, 22:02   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbhavesh View Post
When connected all four wires,

1) When i turn on low beam, no shutter sound. No light.
2) When i turn on hi beam, shutter sound and light both are there.

I checked projectors separately. They are working all right. Seller has confirmed that diodes must be added to the circuit. As I am not using separate wiring harness, I am waiting for seller to give me exact diagram of the wiring.
This does not make sense. Diode is useful for the flash function of high beam. When you do a flash, only the high beam signal goes high. As high beam signal only operates the shutter, you also need low beam to work during flash. A diode from high beam to low beam signal will achieve this.

But when you turn on low beam, you should see the light coming on and the shutter staying off. In your case, this is not happening.

Can you do another experiment. Swap the high beam and low beam connections that you have made now, and repeat the test. Let me know what you observe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks