Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2016, 15:03   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY: Refurbishing a Maruti 800 on a budget

Finally, another video explaining how to tune the carburettor to a perfect setting.

The car seems to be working very well. I get around 18kmpl in city non-AC and 22-24 kmpl fully loaded AC.

I have munched more than 4000 kms in these 4 or so months

DIY: Refurbishing a Maruti 800 on a budget-img_20160706_120525.jpg
DIY: Refurbishing a Maruti 800 on a budget-img_20161013_121936.jpg
aveemashfaq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 15:21   #17
BHPian

Over a weekend I had, I got the opportunity to remove and clean the dashboard for myself. Here is me doing the removal of dashboard. I have noticed a lot of dust and leaves inside the cooling coil. Once I removed it, there seems to be a significant improvement in the cooling. I will have to wait till summer to find out for sure but for now, the air flow rate has increased, the noise from the fan has decreased and I found out more spots of rust which I could cover up. I also took the time to repaint the dashboard to my tastes. I have also installed LED inside the instrument cluster. They are still in compilation and will be coming soon.

Lots of mods coming in the near future.

By the way, the mileage as of now is 21 kmpl in city and 25 kmpl on highway at 90-100 kmph. I can't quote this figure without feeling slightly smug about it

Last edited by aveemashfaq : 22nd December 2016 at 15:23. Reason: adding mileage figures.
aveemashfaq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 16:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

You have a very good stock car and it is performing optimally thanks to all the work you have done on it. What other things you have done - cleaning the cooling coil, filling gas etc comes under the head of routine maintenance.

Stick to what you have, wonderful clean car with original japanese components, don't add anything more and enjoy this beauty while it lasts. Maybe a good pioneer 1DIN system at the most, extra.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 19:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You have a very good stock car and it is performing optimally thanks to all the work you have done on it. What other things you have done - cleaning the cooling coil, filling gas etc comes under the head of routine maintenance.

Stick to what you have, wonderful clean car with original japanese components, don't add anything more and enjoy this beauty while it lasts. Maybe a good pioneer 1DIN system at the most, extra.
Thank you. The work I have done so far is
  • refurbishing entire body with a layer of normal oil paint for rust protection because that was cheap (It is holding up very well. Not bad at all)
  • Cleaning the engine head and valves with WD-40
  • Changing the components of ignition distribution system and tuning the spark distribution system perfectly
  • Cleaning the carburetor and tuning it a thousand times for the perfect mixture
  • Adding thermocol insulation to the floor body to reduce NVH and the AC is now a chiller
  • LEDify the sidelights and the instrument cluster
  • Repaint the dashboard in dual tone interior
  • Flushing and cleaning the cooling system
  • Removing and throwing away the coolant recirculation valve (trust me, it makes a lot of difference in cooling capacity)
  • Changing the entire suspension system
  • Subtle touches to the bumpers
  • Anti-rust underbody coating
  • DIY seat covers (although technically it is not so good)
  • Clean the fuel lines with injector cleaner (which is a wonderful product)
There are still things to be done such as
  • Fluoroscent paint on the wheels (they are rusting off and I too want to flaunt something)
  • Replacement bumper of type 2
  • Add custom fog lights
  • Rear spoiler for the car
  • 5 speed gearbox swap
  • Looking at feasibility of supercharging (A budget of 10,000 in mind)
Indeed the car is wonderful. It is giving me a mileage of 21 kmpl in city and 25 kmpl on highway. And on a recent highway trip, I was munching cars for breakfast. Absolutely no trouble maintaining 90 kmph with speeds reaching 100 kmph on overtake manoeuvres. It feels really good.

I don't plan on selling the car and am looking for maintaining it for atleast 10 years. I am not interested in songs so no audio system for me. I have a cellphone holder in the place of the music system.

Now time for some customary photos. I am yet to finish and so I don't have any good quality photographs.

DIY: Refurbishing a Maruti 800 on a budget-img_20160706_120525.jpg

DIY: Refurbishing a Maruti 800 on a budget-img_20160709_163050.jpg

DIY: Refurbishing a Maruti 800 on a budget-img_20161211_114655.jpg

DIY: Refurbishing a Maruti 800 on a budget-img_20161222_175513.jpg
aveemashfaq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 19:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Fog lights, bumper ok. But why flourescent paint or supercharging? :(

A spoiler will ruin the aerodynamics of your car at higher speeds - it isn't a racecar, it is a small family hatchback. And a generic "looks good, huge" spoiler might just make it unstable.

A 5 speed gearbox should be feasible - but different bhp (37 -> 47), different gearing ratios etc. Still - get one out of an alto 800 and it might be made to work. You might need vacuum brake boosters as well.

As for the recirculation valve you tossed - well, I hope the climates aren't too cold where you go. OK Warangal, possibly one of the hottest towns in AP / Telengana so not as much of an issue.

(edit - I wish Behram Dhabhar were still alive and guiding you as he started to do in this thread .. first thing he would tell you is to get all the basics right and not overthink the bling)

Last edited by hserus : 22nd December 2016 at 19:36.
hserus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 20:41   #21
BHPian

Spoiler is not high on my mind. 5 speed gearbox from 5 speed 800 is very high on my list. My mechanic deals with maruti cars a lot and he tells me that except for new drive shafts, it is a straight forward swap. The gearbox ratios also vary almost between the same ratios. So no problem.

I have to buy new rims for the car because the existing ones are ruined. They Have rust holes near the air pressure valve. So, i was deciding on alloys vs steel rims and decided on getting new steel rims and getting mag wheels. But that is to happen after i replenish a bit of vitamin M. Also the tyres are new. So did a makeshift painting of insides of rims. For outside, i was pondering between gold, dark grey. But decided to go crazy since they are due to replacement. By the way, the tyres are also upsized to 145/80 r12 on demands of father of increasing ground clearance. It increased the load on the engine but i drive single most of the time so no issues. I too am against the bling but just going crazy sometimes.

Supercharging is more of bucketlist thing and not so serious about it. After fuel injector cleaner, i have so much power that I am turning into a bit of spoilt kid. Also watching "can't touch this
Compilations" on YouTube. So couldn't help myself. I already got enough power to challenge the mundane diesels of today on city roads. Just itching to get more. Thought about f6a turbo setup or rear mounted turbo which eliminates the need for intercooler and maintains engine temp at normal levels. But supercharger is simpler and mounts on engine belt directly. Also no lag. So contemplating that.

By no means do i have money or time to go for an expensive turbo setup but wish always remains. And my mind is split between maintaining a bone stock classic car and a sleeper.

Last edited by aveemashfaq : 22nd December 2016 at 21:04.
Old 22nd December 2016, 21:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Stick with bone stock classic and you have a fun ride available to you already. Far more fun than the honda / toyota etc hatches and sedans around on the market.

The 800 is a tin can with very little safety if you try to zoom past a modern diesel and you are too good an engineer plus way too young for us to lose you. So please do sensible mods and drive this thing to have fun rather than as a racecar.
hserus is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 22:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Stick with bone stock classic and you have a fun ride available to you already. Far more fun than the honda / toyota etc hatches and sedans around on the market.

The 800 is a tin can with very little safety if you try to zoom past a modern diesel and you are too good an engineer plus way too young for us to lose you. So please do sensible mods and drive this thing to have fun rather than as a racecar.
The thought is indeed very sobering. Thank you for knocking some sense into my head. Furthermore, I have the KB100 ATV project which is long due. I haven't concentrated on that because of getting glued to maruti 800. I shall resume that soon. But more videos are still to be uploaded and I am not going to abandon this project anytime soon.

If you don't mind, may I ask you a question? I have graduated last year and was ready for the onslaughter of working life. My parents decided that I should have a govt job and hence I have been doing this temporary job as verbal trainer. Although I am close to achieving that goal, I have almost finished making my KB100 ATV and it looks like a wonderful product. Basically, it is a three wheeled bike whose tyre is smaller so that it can pull better. Pulling power makes it a mini tractor for the price of a bike. I have received favourable response from farmers as well. I have had this itch of creating a startup. Should I invest time in the project? How easy do you think it is going to be? As far as mechanical side is concerned, it is perfectly good.
Old 22nd December 2016, 22:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

You need employees and a well fitted workshop if you want to produce such an ATV after modding bikes, or restore people's cars for them etc. There are many in that line of business on tbhp and there is quite a lot of scope for you just by word of mouth from tbhp members.

Money - do you have enough (either in support from your parents or your own earnings) to work at more or less a loss for say a couple of years or more, before you start to pull in profits?

Your best bet might be to actually be hired by some engineering or automotive firm and get a solid grounding there - whether on the shopfloor, or in design, or performance tuning or wherever. Do that for a few years, save your earnings and they will help you achieve that dream as well.

Other bhpians may provide you leads on who and where to reach out at least as an intern or trainee at first, if not an actual employee. Good luck.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:43   #25
BHPian

Dashboard mods I have done

When I opened the dashboard, I thought it would be a good idea to repaint the dashboard in dual tone colour and add LEDs to the instrument cluster as well. So, here is the new colour scheme of the dashboard. What do you think about it? The glossy black seems to be exaggerated in the photo but in real life, it is not intrusive at all. The brown also is a more matte brown. The wires are tucked in now and connected. I am lazy with a camera and do not take pictures that frequently.
DIY: Refurbishing a Maruti 800 on a budget-img_20161224_122300.jpg

And here what I did to LEDify my instrument cluster

The difference is huge. Before this, when there was incoming traffic with high beams, I could not read a single thing in my meters. But now that the LEDS are running, it is a big improvement by a country mile. Even old people with poor sight can read the speeds now. Please note that you should only install red LEDs as other colours are far brighter. Imagine having a white LED strip. That would just blind you. If you have red, no matter how bright it is, it is not intrusive.

And now it is time for some customary pictures.
DIY: Refurbishing a Maruti 800 on a budget-img_20161224_142435.jpg
DIY: Refurbishing a Maruti 800 on a budget-img_20170102_155053.jpg
Yup. 93333.6 kms. I had flash ON and noticed my mistake only when I was uploading it here.
aveemashfaq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 22:58   #26
BHPian

Re: Dashboard mods I have done

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveemashfaq View Post
So, here is the new colour scheme of the dashboard. What do you think about it?
Well to be brutally honest, you have ruined your car's interiors. Its sacrilege, for lack of a better word. If you wanted a dual tone, you could have easily got some spray cans from the market and executed in a neat way. I am fond of your ingenious jugaads, but this one simply ruined my day. Cans would have cost you just a wee bit more.

IMHO, you should first plan and then execute. Your pink painted floor in the name of restoration was a blasphemy too.

-Sumit
sumitsinha0280 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 00:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dashboard mods I have done

Yeah. Making it look "chaka chak" isn't the point for a car like this, it should have been much more understated.

Retaining the existing black and polishing the plastic to restore it would have been more than sufficient. 3M has some good sprays for that, or just a rub with mineral oil (or even coconut oil etc) would have given it a nice finish, removed the ingrained dirt etc.

And keep it a dull finish, it reflects far less light into your eyes when you're driving - this current setup is going to be reflected in the windscreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitsinha0280 View Post
Well to be brutally honest, you have ruined your car's interiors. Its sacrilege, for lack of a better word.

IMHO, you should first plan and then execute. Your pink painted floor in the name of restoration was a blasphemy too.

-Sumit
Old 9th February 2017, 07:11   #28
BHPian

There are numerous other things which I couldn't comprehend.

1. Why were the bumpers coated with red-oxide?? They won't rust as they are plastic anyway. Another sacrilege??

2. Many videos are just half hearted and half baked attempts. For example, in your so called "Engine overhaul" video, you barely opened the tappet cover, that's not how an engine overhaul is done IMHO.

This link provides some excellent insight if someone musters the courage to do engine overhaul the DIY way-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...d-project.html

I also couldn't find many information which I would like you to share. Quoting you-
Quote:
The work I have done so far is
Flushing and cleaning the cooling system
Removing and throwing away the coolant recirculation valve (trust me, it makes a lot of difference in cooling capacity)
Changing the entire suspension system

Clean the fuel lines with injector cleaner (which is a wonderful product)
I would be grateful if you could elaborate on the work done, rather than just mentioning "I did this, end of the DIY thread". DIY means people are as interested in the process, as they are in the final outcome, both of which are behind the curtains in your case.

Also as Sumit said, please invest some time in planning, rather than doing whatever you wish to. You have a neat car to start with, please don't spoil it with pointless and tasteless mods.

Anant

PS: Offtopic, but what was the point of this ATV project?? Its barely able to scratch the land, let alone tile it, and looking at the tailpipe emission, it looks like a VAG product.

Last edited by baby_antu : 9th February 2017 at 07:27.
baby_antu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 08:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

> Removing and throwing away the coolant recirculation valve (trust me, it makes
> a lot of difference in cooling capacity)

It proves its worth in cold towns and cities. You try starting your M800 at 4 AM at the height of a delhi winter. Or in kashmir. It'd just start. Not now you removed that valve.

I am not sure if you were under the impression that someone at Suzuki just put that valve in there because it looks cute or something.
Old 9th February 2017, 09:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Removing and throwing away the coolant recirculation valve (trust me, it makes a lot of difference in cooling capacity)

It proves its worth in cold towns and cities. You try starting your M800 at 4 AM at the height of a delhi winter. Or in kashmir. It'd just start. Not now you removed that valve.

I am not sure if you were under the impression that someone at Suzuki just put that valve in there because it looks cute or something.
hserus, really appreciate your patience for trying to make this guy aware of real world scenario. Mods, personal comments to this level should not have been entertained.
deehunk is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks