Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2016, 01:21   #31
BHPian

Re: DIY: Filling, sanding & painting the bonnet of my Honda Jazz

Great thread sir!!
I followed the same procedure explained by you, audioholic and several other Youtube videos to touchup the Rear quarter panel of my Baleno yesterday.
My Observations :
  • Com-Fill serves the purpose by filling the dents and dries soon.
  • Paint is not at all an exact match for Pearl Arctic White, difference can be spotted easily.
  • Com-Merge should be sprayed immediately after paint and must be sprayed from a long distance of around 12"-16", else it will definetely ruin your job.
  • Emery papers provided in kit are practically useless and it should be bought separately from any hardware shop.
  • Com-Cut does its job, but 3M finishing compound is preferred.

Cheers !!
kashyapz8055 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 10:51   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
The process was reasonably simple:

1. Cleaned and dried the area throughly.
2. Used a rigid rubber applicator and filled in the scratch with paste.
3. Gave it an hour to dry.
4. Wet-Sanded it down with EP400.
5. Sprayed on 4 coats of Taffeta White.
6. One coat of 'merger' for the edges to merge the lines between the original paint and the fresh coats.
7. 24 hours to dry.

Note: Its important to lift and prop up the bonnet till its flat and level at 180 degrees to avoid drips.
Hi Reihem,

That sure was neat. Thanks for the elaborate yet simple process. I have been searching for Sparkle Blue ( hyundai i20 - 2011 model ), with little luck.

Any help on getting that color would be greatly appreciated.
Old 13th June 2016, 23:27   #33
BHPian

Congrats for the near perfect job.
I had tried the com paint job for a minor dent on the driver side door. While the com fill part was fine, the main problem came with the paint job.
Lessons learnt :
the paint doesn't match perfectly if your car is slightly older. My silver colour ANHC is a couple of years old and the original colour has faded a few grades. Consequently the com painted area appeared a shade darker.
On vertical panels like doors, the paint tend to run down a bit and the end product isn't so perfect.

Path forward: entrusting the paint Job to a local garage for a complete panel paint. In Navi Mumbai where I stay the road side garages charge around 2 k per panel.
Old 14th June 2016, 10:07   #34
BHPian

Great job reihem! I have the same kit from com-paint and have tried my luck at similar endeavors on my pacific blue Dzire but with not much to show for. Then, like many others I gave up.

I had a white car earlier and I found it much easier to conceal such bruises. So, is it fair to conclude that the final result is not as good on darker shades?
Old 18th June 2016, 00:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

Guys, a thought...

Wouldn't it be advisable to buy a can of clear coat and spray a couple of layers on the entire panel post such repair?
AbhiJ is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 22:44   #36
BHPian

Com-paint may work good for solid colors, especially white, but double check before its being used for dark and metallic colors.

In my experience the most difficult thing is matching the color shade. Second - be very careful while using the Com-merge, if the sprayed amount is more, the paint will start dripping and begin to flow down.
Old 23rd July 2016, 19:38   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Guys, a thought...

Wouldn't it be advisable to buy a can of clear coat and spray a couple of layers on the entire panel post such repair?
YESSS!

I have done some touch up on my black Laura and the problem I have come across is that you can easily make out painted area under direct sunlight. Maybe lighter colours don't have this issue. I waited a long time to use com paint since I wanted to make sure the job is flawless. Sadly I find it surprising that no one found the need to apply a clear coat.

OT can anybody suggest whats a good brand of clear coat? Pretty much most of the clear coat cans I found online are for furniture. Will they work on metal as well? My local 3M dealer didn't know what a clear coat is. Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd July 2016, 22:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMane View Post

OT can anybody suggest whats a good brand of clear coat? Pretty much most of the clear coat cans I found online are for furniture. Will they work on metal as well? My local 3M dealer didn't know what a clear coat is. Thanks in advance.
Rust Oleum Clear has been recommended in multiple DIY Youtube videos

http://www.amazon.in/Rust-Oleum-2491...4-a1ab95555e02

Used Clearcoat on my headlights last week so have some experience to advise.

My opinion - 1) Use com paint - 3 to 4 coats. 2) Wait for it to cure 3) Wet sand the freshly painted and old painted area with 2000 grit paper 4) Clean and Degrease 5) Clear Coat.

NOTE: Make sure you dont cut away all the com paint, sand only slightly.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 23rd July 2016 at 22:19.
AbhiJ is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks