Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2016, 01:20   #1
BHPian

DIY: Cleaning & rejuvenating the Jopasu Car Duster

Since there's some confusion about the rejuvenator, I decided to write up a small tutorial for the best way that I have found to bring the duster back to life. I've rejuvenated 2 dusters and these pics are from my second experience.

For the first time, I followed the instructions on the bottle but I came up with my own method for the second rejuvenation. This method is somewhat time consuming but it makes sure every single strand of the duster gets covered with wax.

So to start off, a pic of the magic bottle!
DIY: Cleaning & rejuvenating the Jopasu Car Duster-photo-1.jpg

My duster before the wash. It did daily duty on 3 cars for 6 months:
DIY: Cleaning & rejuvenating the Jopasu Car Duster-photo-2.jpg

The duster after over an hour of washing. I was very proud that I was able to get it to a light grey shade.
DIY: Cleaning & rejuvenating the Jopasu Car Duster-photo-3.jpg

I also felt the duster lost half it's weight after the wash. Incredible dust holding capability! I recommend using a mild detergent for washing the delicate strands. The first time I used surf excel powder and the strands felt stiff after drying. This time I used Johnson's baby shampoo and the strands stayed soft.

The duster took a full day and night to dry even in this summer heat.

Now before you start spraying, make sure the nozzle is in the right position. The nozzle should be set to 'SPRAY' like this:
DIY: Cleaning & rejuvenating the Jopasu Car Duster-photo-11.jpg

DO NOT set it to 'STREAM' like this:
DIY: Cleaning & rejuvenating the Jopasu Car Duster-photo-12.jpg

Now you have to start the actual rejuvenation. You will need a lot of patience for this part:

Every time you see the word 'spray' in the following sentences, it actually means first shake the bottle VERY vigorously with all your strength for a few seconds and then spray.

1) First, hold the duster with the strands hanging down freely and spray around the sides. 8-10 sprays should be enough to cover the perimeter. There is no need to spray the bottom at this point.

2) Turn the duster over. If you dig through the strands you will notice they are actually arranged in neat rows. Pull apart the strands from the right most row so that they are hanging down like this:
DIY: Cleaning & rejuvenating the Jopasu Car Duster-photo-10.jpg
You will expose a kind of "spine". Spray the strands on the left and right sides of this spine with 4-5 sprays each.

3) Pull down the next layer of strands to expose the next spine like this:
DIY: Cleaning & rejuvenating the Jopasu Car Duster-photo-4.jpg
As before, spray the strands on the left and right side of the newly exposed spine.

4) Keep going. Pull down the next layer and spray.
DIY: Cleaning & rejuvenating the Jopasu Car Duster-photo-5.jpg

5) Keep going.
DIY: Cleaning & rejuvenating the Jopasu Car Duster-photo-6.jpg

6) And going.
DIY: Cleaning & rejuvenating the Jopasu Car Duster-photo-7.jpg

7) And going.
DIY: Cleaning & rejuvenating the Jopasu Car Duster-photo-8.jpg
X) Finally reach the end.
DIY: Cleaning & rejuvenating the Jopasu Car Duster-photo-9.jpg

Once you're done spraying, let the duster dry for an hour. If you're up to it, repeat steps 1 to X again. Then give the duster another day before using it.

Using this method, you can easily rejuvenate your duster 3 times before the bottle runs out. I feel this covers most of the strands evenly compared to just randomly spraying all over the duster as suggested by Jopasu.

Please let me know if this worked well for you
bowser is offline   (76) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 16:29   #2
BHPian

Re: Jopasu Car Duster - A mini review

So i finally got the time to use the rejuvenator on saturday. I did exactly as advised and it has worked wonders. My duster is back in action and cleans the car as good as new now and there is more than half a bottle left for another application.

Tip: Just be carefull not to spray the wax on nearby items. Its takes a lot of time to remove and becomes very slippery.
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2016, 16:59   #3

I have just washed my duster in the washing machine, with regular detergent. It seems to have gotten pretty clean - the colour is almost the same as it was when new. Waiting for it to finish drying and then test it on my dusty Bubbles.
Anubhav89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 10:16   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubhav89 View Post
I have just washed my duster in the washing machine, with regular detergent. It seems to have gotten pretty clean - the colour is almost the same as it was when new. Waiting for it to finish drying and then test it on my dusty Bubbles.
Anubhav washing the Jopasu duster is a big no no. The strands are wax coated which helps the duster to lift the dust off the panels effortlessly without causing swirl marks. Washing the duster strips the wax coating. I would recommend you to please use a Jopasu Rejuvenator Kit and wax it before using it on your ride.
P.s- Please take some tips from the superb tutorial posted by Bowser.
Akib Khan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 09:43   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Cleaning & rejuvenating the Jopasu Car Duster

Thanks for sharing, Bowser! Moving your post into a new thread for better visibility.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 11:05   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser View Post
Since there's some confusion about the rejuvenator, I decided to write up a small tutorial for the best way that I have found to bring the duster back to life. I've rejuvenated 2 dusters and these pics are from my second experience.

Please let me know if this worked well for you
Hi bowser, Thanks for your wonderful explanation.

I use this duster regularly as there are couple of house construction in-progress near our house which results in lot of dust accumulation on our car, while the color of the duster has turned to dark black and has put on lot of weight.

I thought of discarding it and to buy a new one, thanks for your review, now I can recharge the duster again.

Wanted to know where you bought this? I checked in snapdeal they are quoting 499/- INR, which I feel is very economical.

-Badri
Old 10th June 2016, 23:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Minchingu View Post
Wanted to know where you bought this? I checked in snapdeal they are quoting 499/- INR, which I feel is very economical.

-Badri
Hi! I bought the rejuvenator on ebay for 450 with free shipping. This was around 2-3 months ago. It is still at the same price.
bowser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 13:58   #8
BHPian

Hi Guys

The rejuvenator is available on ebay and snapdeal. But I cant find it on the Jopasu website. is this product manufactured and sold by the same company that makes the duster? Or is it from some other company?

Just wondering since it will or should be effective if its from the same company.
Old 3rd August 2016, 14:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush1.a View Post
Hi Guys

The rejuvenator is available on ebay and snapdeal. But I cant find it on the Jopasu website. is this product manufactured and sold by the same company that makes the duster? Or is it from some other company?

Just wondering since it will or should be effective if its from the same company.
It is manufactured by the Jopasu company itself and I have spoken with a company senior person regarding the usage of rejevenator. Not sure on the listing in the website though.

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 3rd August 2016 at 15:04.
KK_HakunaMatata is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 15:05   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
It is manufactured by the Jopasu company itself and I have spoken with a company senior person regarding the usage of rejevenator. Not sure on the listing in the website though.
Thank you! I purchased it off paytm and got delivery quite swiftly.
So last weekend I blocked a couple of hours and got down to cleaning the near black duster that I have.

So I started with a few rounds of rinsing with plain water with my bare hands. That helped to take off a lot of dirt but didn't really change the color. (Its truly amazing how much dust can this duster absorb!)
Next came the detergent. I used Genteel which is supposed to be a mild detergent. Again a few rounds of it - alternatively in a bucket of water with generous amount of the detergent and washing under a tap of water. Now this really helped and the whiteness of the bristles started showing.

By the end of it (almost 40-45 mins), I felt a lot of dirt had been removed. I left it to dry in the shade in the open and then overnight as well to ensure it dried out well.

Then came the rejuvinator. Now, one needs to be careful with this - the contents are just wax, or atleast a form of it I suppose. So when you spray it on the dried duster, you have to be really careful of the surroundings. Otherwise, the wax gets sprayed on to, say, the floor or the walls or whatever there is around you when you are using the bottle. You also have to make sure the nozzle is not very close to the duster as it should be sprayed from about 10-12 inches away otherwise you will end with a glut of wax in a concentrated area of the duster - instead you would want that it is sprayed out evenly.

Well, that's all! And now I have an almost new like duster, thanks to some DIY and the nice little rejuvinator bottle.

Best of luck!
piyush1.a is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 17:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser View Post
Hi! I bought the rejuvenator on ebay for 450 with free shipping. This was around 2-3 months ago. It is still at the same price.
Does the rejuvenator make any difference then detergent? Now I am cleaning only with detergent. What is the advantage?
Old 18th August 2016, 18:07   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Does the rejuvenator make any difference then detergent? Now I am cleaning only with detergent. What is the advantage?
You need to clean it with detergent AND then use the rejuvenator. The Rejuvenator contains wax and helps the duster pick up and retain more dust. Without it, the duster is just a little bit better than a normal duster
adg_andy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 18:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
You need to clean it with detergent AND then use the rejuvenator. The Rejuvenator contains wax and helps the duster pick up and retain more dust. Without it, the duster is just a little bit better than a normal duster
Thanks for shedding lights. I will buy it then. It actually rocks, and let it do more. :-)
Old 4th September 2016, 19:26   #14
BHPian

Thanks for this, never knew such a product existed. Just ordered one. I had washed my Jopasu Duster and didn't really find any major change in its effectiveness.
Can I throw it in the washing machine for a wash, before this Rejuvenation treatment?
Old 4th September 2016, 19:56   #15
BHPian

Thanks Bowser for the nice review. Did not know that such a product existed.
I too own a Jopasu duster and it is 3 years old now. Will try this product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Minchingu View Post
-Badri
It is available for Rs.419/- on SD now. http://www.snapdeal.com/product/jopa...r/669621795599

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks