Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2017, 10:27   #31
BANNED

Re: DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Which is your car?
He has a SX4 DDiS IIRC.

Quote:
I had asked one tuner about only EGR delete for my SX4 and he quoted the price same as remap.
Wow. That's costly for a job only to delete the EGR from the map!!

ASC can find out the EGR delete?
Old 15th December 2017, 10:30   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Does a petrol egr valve needs cleaning? I have a Civic running on cng which causes stalling issues while idling. I have already done coil/ plugs change and throttle body cleaning. Next the Hass advised if problem persists could be due to Egr valve. But he talked about replacement and not cleaning so wanted to know.

Thanks.
Yes, Petrol high mileage engine also involve EGR cleaning and change. For the stalling issue check the battery terminals and if possible apply a branded dielectric lubricant on the terminals. Remedy given to me for a non cng petrol high mileage car with stalling issues.
ritz3645 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 10:31   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
ASC can find out the EGR delete?
There should be no CEL after EGR soft delete in map. The diagnostic scans at service centre won't show right away that EGR is off. You can obviously find out if you log EGR values. This is very unlikely as it's not a routine thing
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 17:03   #34
BHPian

Thanks Naren,
if the cost of just a egr delete is as same as a remap,may as well do a remap and enjoy a few more ponies.
Yes car in reference is sx4.
Old 15th December 2017, 17:06   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Thanks Naren,
if the cost of just a egr delete is as same as a remap,may as well do a remap and enjoy a few more ponies.
Yes car in reference is sx4.
Talk to the tuners, May be someone would offer only EGR delete for lesser price. I too have SX4 diesel (remapped by Tune O Tronics). They had given me an aggressive map. It smokes a lot and I had to change lower gear synchronisers twice already. EGR soft delete is done in the map itself.
Old 10th June 2018, 14:42   #36
BHPian

Not sure if this is right thread but my Swift Petrol has become very noisy and I am told by the service centre guys that one of the Valve is blocked. I'm not sure which valve they're talking about here and if that is what is causing all the noise and intermittent loss in acceleration.
Old 25th June 2018, 11:15   #37
BHPian

Finally got my sx4 EGR cleaned, my initial impression of the car post EGR cleaning is that the car definitely sounds more silent and pulls better compared to before.
I have been religiously using system D/Addon D for the last 12k kilometers from the time i got the car, well it did help in making the car run better with the additives and i continue to use them.

I had approached MASS for the EGR cleaning but they suggested doing the machine cleaning which i wasn't too convinced.Also some the mechanics told me that egr cleaning needs to be done carefully as, if the bolts slip or not fitted properly will lead to drop in performance and whistling sound.Due to these reasons i just avoided cleaning as i thought it may cause more harm then good if some guy slips the bolts etc.

About a year back i helped one of my mechs who used to work on my zen to get a job in mass, so now that he had learnt everything i requested him to do the EGR cleaning at my place, he agreed and we decided to do in on a sunday which is his as well as my day off.

I had also read somewhere that high speed driving will clean the EGR of deposits, this is not true, my daily run is about 75+ kilometers on the highway.
However when we opened the EGR it was in bad bad shape with a lot of carbon. So after cleaning all carbon, i replaced the gaskets as well as both the rubber pipes.

I also noticed that it is possible to clean the injection nozzle pipe from outside with lot of carb cleaner.i plan to do this exercise every 10k kilometers so that the EGR remains at least somewhat clean rather then getting it to completely choke.

Post EGR cleaning i noticed better sounding engine, i had a little bit of knocking sound coming which has stopped now.Overall yes i would say its a very positive change.
My next step would be to remove the injectors and get them tested/cleaned. MASS uses a machine which just sprays some liquid while on a rig and am not sure it does anything, so i would rather take the injectors to bosch to get them checked properly.

I paid 500rs as labour to the mech, and rest of the parts, coolant, distilled water,gaskets etc cost me 1051.Overall its peace of mind as the job was done very nicely and i doubt if MASS would have done it so well as they are always overloaded with cars.
scorpian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 11:19   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepeshKarnik View Post
Not sure if this is right thread but my Swift Petrol has become very noisy and I am told by the service centre guys that one of the Valve is blocked. I'm not sure which valve they're talking about here and if that is what is causing all the noise and intermittent loss in acceleration.
Any updates on the car?! Do you still have the jerking issue?
Old 14th August 2018, 18:52   #39
Senior - BHPian

I found this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-blank...-/111402277081

Which looks like a part that matches. However, how easy is to get to the place to put the blanking plate?
Old 14th August 2018, 23:05   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Which looks like a part that matches. However, how easy is to get to the place to put the blanking plate?
I think there would be CEL if you use only blanking plate. You can just switch off the EGR in ECU map itself. Contact any tuner and check if they would do only EGR delete.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 00:25   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I think there would be CEL if you use only blanking plate. You can just switch off the EGR in ECU map itself. Contact any tuner and check if they would do only EGR delete.
If the blanking plate has a hole in the center there won't be a CEL. Something like this:

DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1534272917.420382.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th August 2018 at 09:52. Reason: Typo fixed.
Old 15th August 2018, 00:31   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
If the blanking plate has a hole in the center there won't be a CEL. Something like this :
Hmmm, but it won't be completely blocking the EGR right? Best is to switch off the EGR in map and also use complete blank plate.
Old 15th August 2018, 18:39   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm, but it won't be completely blocking the EGR right? Best is to switch off the EGR in map and also use complete blank plate.

Yup agreed. Also AFAIK BS3 cars including fiats won't throw a CEL even after using the blanking plate without any holes.
Old 15th August 2018, 19:34   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you close it from the manifold side, how can it throw the CEL, the sensor is before the plate?

I need to research on blanking plate with the hole
Old 8th September 2018, 13:25   #45
BHPian

Dear BHPians, my Brezza is due for 30K service and i am sure MASS will suggest for EGR cleaning. Is it really required ? Please help. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks