Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2018, 15:37   #46
BHPian

Re: DIY: EGR Valve Cleaning (1.3L DDiS / MJD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashdel View Post
Dear BHPians, my Brezza is due for 30K service and i am sure MASS will suggest for EGR cleaning. Is it really required ? Please help. Thanks.
I had taken my uncle's baleno for servicing two days back, I asked my SA about black smoke (not much but it is noticeable) coming out from my Ertiga and he asked if I had my 30K service pending.
I said yes, and he said that both the EGR and intercooler will be cleaned during the service.
I think it's included in the 4th or 30K service.
He didn't mention if it was mandatory or on customers request.

Is your car giving out black smoke during idling?
Old 8th September 2018, 17:37   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_vaz View Post
Is your car giving out black smoke during idling?
Not really, i just got my car's PUC done today and it passed without any issues. I am not sure if i should get EGR cleaned in 30K service due next week.
Old 8th September 2018, 17:44   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Not really, i just got my car's PUC done today and it passed without any issues. I am not sure if i should get EGR cleaned in 30K service due next week.
Then let the SA open and check the condition of the EGR and the intercooler, if it requires cleaning you can get it done.
If not required then don't, unless you are facing issues like engine clatter, knocking issues or increased/strained engine sounds.
francis_vaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 11:08   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_vaz View Post
Then let the SA open and check the condition of the EGR and the intercooler, if it requires cleaning you can get it done.
Thanks for your note, however it usually dosent happen like that. Most of the SA will just make a note on the job sheet and will not check personally. Ultimately they will end up cleaning the part even if its unnecessary and inflating the service bills.
Ashdel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 11:19   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Best is to switch off the EGR in map and also use complete blank plate.
Surprisingly when I asked Code 6 to switch off the EGR in the map, they couldn't do that until the valve is physically blocked with a plate. My car already has a plate with the hole like in the image few posts below, but they still couldn't do a soft delete.
I'll be going sometime soon with the full plate to get it fixed and soft deleted as well.
Old 10th September 2018, 12:37   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Surprisingly when I asked Code 6 to switch off the EGR in the map, they couldn't do that until the valve is physically blocked with a plate.
It looks like they were not able to find EGR map / solution to disable it. They must have just deleted the DTC code after you physically blocked EGR. Anyways it doesn't matter as long as EGR is off .
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 12:50   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
It looks like they were not able to find EGR map / solution to disable it. They must have just deleted the DTC code after you physically blocked EGR. Anyways it doesn't matter as long as EGR is off .
That's what I thought too.

The EGR is not off as of now. I have put a plate with the hole in the centre which doesn't throw up any error.
It's lot of hard work with the tools I have to fix the plate which I should have done in the first place. (the full plate)

When I visit Code 6 next, I will get the full plate fitted which they said will take a whole day, which I did in 3 hours with limited tools and no lift equipment.

Last edited by tharian : 10th September 2018 at 13:14.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 11:35   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your note, however it usually dosent happen like that. Most of the SA will just make a note on the job sheet and will not check personally. Ultimately they will end up cleaning the part even if its unnecessary and inflating the service bills.
Then the only alternative you have is a FNG where you can get it checked, while you are there watching it opened.
I agree the SA may or may not open the EGR and get it cleaned and just add to the bill.
Do keep the thread updated on what decision you take.
My Ertiga's 30K service will be due in sometime, it'll be helpful with your experience regarding the same.
francis_vaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 17:42   #54
Senior - BHPian

Last year, after the EGR & inlet manifold of my Linea was cleaned, the immediate change noticed was that the exhaust wasn't emitting as much black smoke.

The mileage & responsiveness improved slightly, but that could also be attributed to the injector cleaners I used in the next 2 tank-fulls.

TBH cleaning EGR & inlet manifold is best left to the people with equipment & patience.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 9th March 2019 at 17:43.
Old 25th September 2019, 12:03   #55
BHPian

Hello Mates,

I have disabled the EGR valve by using a blanking plate in my fiat linea MJ.
Now I have a check engine light warning. Is there a way to fix the engine warning. My in 2012 make. Any help welcomed.
harryms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 12:13   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryms View Post
Hello Mates,

I have disabled the EGR valve by using a blanking plate in my fiat linea MJ.
Now I have a check engine light warning. Is there a way to fix the engine warning. My in 2012 make. Any help welcomed.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post4598584 (DIY : Chevrolet Sail UVA 1.3 TDCI - EGR blanking)

...hit or a miss, some cars still get CEL, in mine it went away. Basically fool the EGR to work, albeit into the atmosphere.
Old 20th February 2020, 13:36   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
...hit or a miss, some cars still get CEL, in mine, it went away. Basically fool the EGR to work, albeit into the atmosphere.
+1.

For 2,000 kms I drove with the EGR coupler disconnected + CEL till I could lay hands on the blanking plate plus gasket. Once I blanked it, I reconnected the coupler and then the CEL went away.

Engine oil, intercooler, intake manifold - all of them are clean with minimal carbon deposit.
Old 15th September 2021, 08:51   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Semi-DIY UPDATE

Been just over 1100 kms of which 900 kms are on 100 % highways with speeds between 80 - 120 kmph and the rest 200 kms in city (City speed limits). Not sure if it is psychological but I feel the engine is a bit more silent and the rawness in power delivery is back.
Indeed a nice thread! Quick question, does cleaning the EGR valve improve the surge in power when the turbo spools up? My Brezza 1.3MJD had ample grunt when it was relatively new(~10k kms). Now at 33k on ODO the acceleration in 3rd gear has become linear and I don't feel the turbo at all

At every periodic service I bring up the issue and the SA adds "supercleaner" and " intercooler cleaning" to the job card but didn't mention anything about EGR valve clean even at 30k service. The NVH levels have increased too.

Regards
advaithraju
Old 16th September 2021, 10:54   #59
BHPian

Definitely cleaning the EGR helps in pick up and also NVH levels. You should have it cleaned periodically via dismantling physically and not by using cleaners with machine.

Kindly insist on it being opened and cleaned.Even inter-cooler cleaning helps it in pick up.I had mine cleaned at 60k and again at 88k it was choked with carbon, you need to see it to believe the amount of carbon that collects in the intake manifold leading to drop in pick up/increase in NVH and increased smoke.
I have since remapped my car and closed the EGR for good,post which i also opened the intake manifold and had it completely de-carbonised.
scorpian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 12:09   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Definitely cleaning the EGR helps in pick up and also NVH levels. You should have it cleaned periodically via dismantling physically and not by using cleaners with machine.
Thanks for the info. Will ask MASS to physically open these parts and clean the carbon build-up in my next visit.
Also, I fear for rubber hose leaks due to frequent rat attacks. Is there anyway to find out those leaks?
What should be the ideal boost indicated in the OBD Torque application?

Regards
advaithraju

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks