Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2016, 13:54   #1
BHPian

DIY: Plasti Dip coating on my wheels!

Tried DIY with black Plastidip and graphite pearl metalizer.

Here are the pics:

Step-1: Preparation of the wheels. I washed all wheels with Amway car wash to remove any dust/dirt. Dried for a few hours. Just before the first coat, I did a wipe-down with Isopropyl alcohol (available at chemist shop, also called rubbing alcohol).

I also did masking on 1st wheel but realized that this is not required as over spray is super-easy to remove from tyres after 5-6 coats. So I did not mask rest of the wheels.
DIY: Plasti Dip coating on my wheels!-img_1051.jpg

Plastidip can
DIY: Plasti Dip coating on my wheels!-img_1055.jpg

After coat-1
DIY: Plasti Dip coating on my wheels!-img_1057.jpg

After coat-2
DIY: Plasti Dip coating on my wheels!-img_1058.jpg

After coat-3
DIY: Plasti Dip coating on my wheels!-img_1059.jpg

I also did about 2 inches on back so that it may look better when mounted on car. Though it is not really necessary.
DIY: Plasti Dip coating on my wheels!-img_1060.jpg

After 5 coats of Plastidip:
DIY: Plasti Dip coating on my wheels!-img_1061.jpg

After 5 coats I did 2 coats of graphite pearl metalizer. Here is picture of the can:
DIY: Plasti Dip coating on my wheels!-img_1062.jpg

After 1 coat of Metalizer:
DIY: Plasti Dip coating on my wheels!-img_1063.jpg

After 2 coats of Metalizer, compared with original wheel:
DIY: Plasti Dip coating on my wheels!-img_1064.jpg

Some learnings:
- Masking of tyres not required, the over spray and residue is super easy to peel off. In fact masking may hamper effective coating on periphery of rim.
- I rotated wheels by a quarter after each coat to make sure proper coverage around.
- rotated during metalizer coat also.
- 3-4 cans of Plastidip black and 1-2 cans of metalizer are enough for average wheels.
- I waited about 30 minutes between each coat, expert recommend 15 minutes. I had time since I did this over 2-3 days.
rishi_kapoor is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 09:06   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Plasti Dip coating on my wheels!

Thanks for sharing, Rishi! Moving your post into its own thread.

For reference, here's a link to the main Plasti Dip thread - link.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 09:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Tried DIY with black Plastidip and graphite pearl metalizer.
Huge thanks Rishi. I want to do that with my TUV but was not getting proper tutorial. Amazing results. Is it possible to get Plastidip in Gunmetal shade? Though you have achieved that with use of Metalizer.

From your description, I understand that one Plastidip can/per tyre is required and so is half can of Metalizer/per tyre.
Pls also share cost of each can so that we can have a fair idea.

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 13:13   #4
BHPian

Thanks for this DIY - Can you please specify where you bought the cans ? If available online, links to the items would be really helpful. Also, any tips/hints to identify spurious/ fakes?
vsathyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 15:21   #5
BHPian

While Rishi would give the exact contacts, I did try the front grill with Plasti Dip for my XUV500. I bought the can from Flaunt Yur Kuler - Bangalore for Rs. 950 including delivery charges. The prices are +/- for some colors and over coats. You can google this company and you will have all details. It is so lovely to apply and no issues whatsoever if you do not like it - peel it off.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 22:23   #6
BHPian

Wow this is a great DIY..!!
Can you elaborate on how is it compared to painting the alloys ? I mean how easy is it to clean or maintain ?
Will it start peeling off even if slightly scratched ?
Old 19th October 2016, 14:52   #7
BHPian

Its an amazing DIY project & love the output. Started browsing for such cans and found this link where you can overall wheel kit for around $68 which I feel is reasonably priced.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/collectio...lar-wheel-kits
Old 20th October 2016, 17:00   #8
BHPian

How durable is the coating? Will this stand up to the usual dust grime and dog pee as well as washing? Regular spray (can) paint starts peeling off on its own after a while.
medicineman1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 08:23   #9
BHPian

Good one!! Is it necessary to remove the tyre and what is the purpose of the metallizer? To get a shiny look?
Old 25th October 2016, 11:36   #10
BHPian

Sorry everyone for a delayed response. I was busy with Raid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Huge thanks Rishi. I want to do that with my TUV but was not getting proper tutorial. Amazing results. Is it possible to get Plastidip in Gunmetal shade? Though you have achieved that with use of Metalizer.

From your description, I understand that one Plastidip can/per tyre is required and so is half can of Metalizer/per tyre.

Pls also share cost of each can so that we can have a fair idea.

Regards-Sonu

Sonu, gunmetal Metalizer is also available. The base coat is Matt black and then Metalizer is added. I paid 950 for black can and 1150 for Metalizer can. You can google for Flaunturkuler, he is authorised reseller in India for plastidip. 4 cans of black and 2 cans of Metalizer are enough. You will be left with some material to retouch later if required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Thanks for this DIY - Can you please specify where you bought the cans ? If available online, links to the items would be really helpful. Also, any tips/hints to identify spurious/ fakes?

I bought this online through flaunturkuler.com they are authorised resellers of plastidip in India. The cans have a 3D sticker for authenticity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
Wow this is a great DIY..!!

Can you elaborate on how is it compared to painting the alloys ? I mean how easy is it to clean or maintain ?

Will it start peeling off even if slightly scratched ?

Paint is permanent and this is temporary (as long as you want it). It is dust catcher but can be easily cleaned with normal car wash and pressure wash.

I took my car to Spiti during recent Raid-de-Himalaya and plastidip held on to the wheels so I am impressed.

There were several stone chips during rally but based on several tutorials on YouTube, it is possible to repair the same. I will post pictures of repair in few weeks when I get time.

No it does not start peeling with small scratches and stone chips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman1987 View Post
How durable is the coating? Will this stand up to the usual dust grime and dog pee as well as washing? Regular spray (can) paint starts peeling off on its own after a while.
The coating held well during Raid in harshest terrain so regular dust etc should be fine. It does not start peeling off on its own. I will keep you posted on long term result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Good one!! Is it necessary to remove the tyre and what is the purpose of the metallizer? To get a shiny look?

No it is not mandatory to remove wheels from car. You can mask brakes properly and can apply coat. However, I will recommend taking a little extra pain and doing it properly.

Cheers.
rishi_kapoor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 15:11   #11
BHPian

Bumping up a very old thread, hope to get some information. I am planning to get my wheels painted to Matt Black. I checked around at painting shops & they are quoting 10,000 INR for all four tyres which I think is pretty expensive hence I am thinking of using Plasti dip. Please let me know if your tyres have held up well or should I reconsider.
Old 30th December 2019, 15:57   #12
KMT
BHPian

I got charged 500 rs a wheel for 2k paint a few years back. Good glossy finish.

I have also used black matt finish plastidip and am very happy with both outcomes.
But keep a can of plastidip extra as wheel bal and tyre change damages the old paint and you will need to touch it up. Took 3 cans for 4 wheels both sides.

Most Viewed