Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2017, 11:44   #61
BHPian

Re: Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3

This might help someone else as I made this stupid mistake. If your flip camera is coming out but not going in even after 15 seconds, make sure this is how you have made the connection. The timer module that pushes the camera inside is in the VW logo base holding the camera. If you dissamble the camera from this base, the Motor will still push it out but it won't go in and you might end up thinking there is something wrong with the camera motor. Also this is how the connection needs to be done.
Attached Thumbnails
Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-1392745503785034229.jpg  

navdeep.rana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 10:40   #62
BHPian

Re: Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3

Got the camera installed on my Polo 1.5 TDI Highline which had the RCD 330 Plus. Below are few photos. Here are few things I noticed:

1. The HU keeps showing the video for about 10 seconds even after disengaging reverse gear.

2. After 15 seconds, the camera pops back in.

3. You cannot open boot if the reverse gear is engaged​. So if someone needs to get something quickly from the boot, you will have to disengage reverse gear and then they will have to wait for 15 seconds for camera to go back in. Not a very big thing but just something I noticed.

I followed all the instructions mentioned by graaja in this DIY during the installation and got the adapter plate laser cut right before the camera arrived using the AutoCad file he has provided. So a big thanks to graaja for that . Now just the water draining part is left which I will carry out on coming weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-img_20170406_0921026422.jpg  

Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-img_20170406_0921214972.jpg  

navdeep.rana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 13:48   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep.rana View Post
Got the camera installed on my Polo 1.5 TDI Highline which had the RCD 330 Plus...
Awesome! Congratulations on the successful install of the camera. I am glad that you were able to resolve all the issues you faced during the installation and made it a success. Good luck with the drain pipe installation as well

Remember to test if there is a leak in the drain pipe attachment and seal it with glue if required.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 15:31   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Installed: VW Flip Camera in Polo GT Tsi
H Graaja,

I have received the adaptor plate from the fabricator. Thanks a lot for sharing the contact details. Got everything for the install including fuse tap connectors as suggested by you. However, the camera is stuck in Kolkata since 05/05/2017 . Lodged a complaint with India post. Hopefully, I should get it.
Old 25th May 2017, 15:50   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by csr9 View Post
H Graaja,

I have received the adaptor plate from the fabricator. Thanks a lot for sharing the contact details. Got everything for the install including fuse tap connectors as suggested by you. However, the camera is stuck in Kolkata since 05/05/2017 . Lodged a complaint with India post. Hopefully, I should get it.
I can totally understand the frustration.

A couple of times when a package was stuck at customs while handled by India Post, I had sent an email to the customs department (email provided by India Posts after booking a complaint with them first) with an explanation of what the item is and what is the value and they usually released it within a couple of days.

As you have already booked a complaint with India Post, it should get released soon.
Old 25th May 2017, 21:27   #66
BHPian

Quote:
I can totally understand the frustration.

A couple of times when a package was stuck at customs while handled by India Post, I had sent an email to the customs department....
Thanks a lot.

Coincidentally, got a letter from the Customs today, asking for the invoice and remittance proof. Mailed them all the required details. Things should move now.
csr9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2018, 00:03   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep.rana View Post
This might help someone else as I made this stupid mistake. If your flip camera is coming out but not going in even after 15 seconds, make sure this is how you have made the connection. The timer module that pushes the camera inside is in the VW logo base holding the camera. If you dissamble the camera from this base, the Motor will still push it out but it won't go in and you might end up thinking there is something wrong with the camera motor. Also this is how the connection needs to be done.

Hi Navdeep, can you elaborate on this? I couldn't understand what you meant. It will be really helpful as I am planning this DIY Install next week.
pmrp4mail is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2018, 01:38   #68
BHPian

Re: Installed: VW Flip Camera on Polo GT TSi

This is a very clean DIY, I appreciate the efforts you took to fabricate a custom bracket.

Quote:
Part 4 - Wiring:
We faced a couple of issues during wiring.
  1. The fuse carrier in the power cable assembly would not go through the rubber grommet that connects the hatch to the C pillar. So, we cut off the fuse cable. I later soldered the fuse cable before connecting to the HU.
  2. It was very difficult to route the RCA plug through the rubber grommet. It had to be wiggled in the grommet to be brought out. Though a difficult task, it is possible.
You should have used a fish-tape or a wiring spring to pull the wires through the grommet from the other side so that the fuse carrier and RCA plug need not have to pass trough the grommet. (Here I am assuming the plugs at the camera end of the cable are smaller than RCA plug and fuse carrier).
Naveen_0181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 04:23   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrp4mail View Post
Hi Navdeep, can you elaborate on this? I couldn't understand what you meant. It will be really helpful as I am planning this DIY Install next week.
Don't worry about it. Just go ahead with the installation. If you face any issue, PM me.
navdeep.rana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 10:00   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi pmrp4mail, as Navdeep has mentioned, nothing to worry. Just make the connections the right way and everything will work well. Good luck with the installation

Make sure you install the water drain mechanism which is very important during monsoons.
Old 23rd February 2018, 16:28   #71

Quote:
Hi pmrp4mail, as Navdeep has mentioned, nothing to worry. Just make the connections the right way and everything will work well. Good luck with the installation

Make sure you install the water drain mechanism which is very important during monsoons.

Hi Graaja,

I hit a roadblock. I got the Flip Camera installed and the water drain mechanism is yet to be installed. The camera powers up when slotted into reverse. I have connected the Flip camera to RCD330g and tried coding it for rear camera. VCDS doesn't code for radio module. It shows up Error 31 : Code out of range. Most of the other modules work. It is a Chinese VCDS. Any solutions?

Ram.
Old 23rd February 2018, 16:45   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Graaja,

I hit a roadblock. I got the Flip Camera installed and the water drain mechanism is yet to be installed. The camera powers up when slotted into reverse. I have connected the Flip camera to RCD330g and tried coding it for rear camera. VCDS doesn't code for radio module. It shows up Error 31 : Code out of range. Most of the other modules work. It is a Chinese VCDS. Any solutions?

Ram.
Hi, unfortunately, I do not have experience with RCD330 coding. There is another thread that has details on reverse camera install in an RCD 330 which also has details of coding. Can you also check in that thread?
Old 15th March 2018, 00:24   #73

Quote:
Hi, unfortunately, I do not have experience with RCD330 coding. There is another thread that has details on reverse camera install in an RCD 330 which also has details of coding. Can you also check in that thread?
Hi Graaja,

Last week had the problem solved. I took my Polo to the Dealer - Volkswagen Mount Road(Sundaram) and asked my service adviser for help. He went across the car for a good 5 minutes and told it was not possible. I just asked him to call a service technician and to get it connected with the computer which runs the diagnostic software from OBD Port. As mentioned in the other thread which you had referred to, a coding value had to be changed from 00 to 40 to get Reverse Video Output in the OEM RCD330G. As expected, the service technician refused to go forward saying he is not authorized to do so and it might corrupt the computer. I had to finally convince him saying it is my responsibility if something goes wrong. Thankfully, the coding got accepted and the Video Output worked. The Video quality is very good and the a very wide area is covered. Now the most important step to finish the install - the drain pipe. I am a bit confused where to drill the holes and how to route the drain pipe through it. Can you guide me on that?
pmrp4mail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 06:54   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
... Thankfully, the coding got accepted and the Video Output worked. The Video quality is very good and the a very wide area is covered. Now the most important step to finish the install - the drain pipe. I am a bit confused where to drill the holes and how to route the drain pipe through it. Can you guide me on that?
It is great news that you got the video to work. Congratulations

Regarding the drain pipe installation, you just need to drill two holes (which happens to be the trickiest part as well), one just below the camera in the inside of the hatch and another in the lower edge of the hatch, as I have shown in the pictures in the below post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post4164074

Just remember to touch up the holes with paint to prevent any rusting.
Old 5th July 2020, 23:43   #75
BHPian

First off, a major major thank you to graaja for his immense support on sourcing the mounting plate for me. He has personally spoken to the vendor when I couldnt get to him despite trying a couple of times. He was my angel in disguise for this project.

So sometime during lockdown I could source myself an OEM flip camera from the passat B7. The wiring on it was a chaos and with no access to the wiring diagram, it took a lot of effort and whatever is left of my commonsense, I figuredout the wiring and did a successful bench test.

A week later, I got the mounting plate and did the install.

I figured oht that the camera clarity is just about basic. Its worse than the chinese cameras you get out there so I would do something about it in the future but im glad that the motor and other mechanicals in the camera are german and would last the car’s lifetime.

Here are some pictures

Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-54a508dfc6ef4cc28c7ba4efef5fbd4b.jpeg

Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-f3db039f2fbf402daddc100f5f5af1c6.jpeg

Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-54ec66b502464f718f74145b7920db26.jpeg

Installed: VW Flip Camera in my Polo GT TSi. EDIT: Custom Adapter Plate & Water Drain on Page #3-bb11b3bae3fe4cac9663e7e71d4f52b3.jpeg
kingofmyworld is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks