Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2017, 13:46   #1
BHPian

XUV500 DIY: Removing rattles from the door panel

Hi Friends,

Most owners are aware of the rattles we are gifted along with the XUV. My XUV is a year old and like everyone, I am also not spared of the rattles. I tried to get help from the ASC to make the vehicle rattle free but they were of little help.
Of-course, I could make out that 80% of the rattles are from the hard plastic door panels hitting against the metal door while driving but I feared removing the door panel as I had made a mess with my Swift back in 2006 where I had damaged most of the mushroom clips and their holders.
But a year with the XUV and the never ending door panel rattles kept me googling, going through DIY's, browsing youtube videos looking for the safest methods to remove door panels without damage.
Finally build up the confidence and planned to do it myself.
Below is the step by step process I followed with some self explanatory pictures. Procedure is same for the front and rear doors -
1. Tools
a) Most important, you need prying tools to open up the door panel. They help in preventing scratches to the metal parts as well as the plastic parts.
b) Single side foam tape and screw drivers.
XUV500 DIY: Removing rattles from the door panel-20170202_122441.jpg
XUV500 DIY: Removing rattles from the door panel-20170202_122520.jpg

2. Removing the Door Panels
Remove the cover just above the window. Not removing this will create a hindrance in lifting the door panel out especially for the front doors.
XUV500 DIY: Removing rattles from the door panel-20170202_085839.jpg

Remove the three screws. One is just behind the door open lever. Two screws are under the door handle. There are four slots on the bottom and side of the door handle cover. Insert a bend pin type tool in these slots to pull the cover out a bit and then pry open with the flat pry in the above picture. Don't use excessive force.
You may or may not remove the power window switch. It is a simple clipped unit and easy to remove with the flat prying tool.
XUV500 DIY: Removing rattles from the door panel-20170202_085620.jpg
XUV500 DIY: Removing rattles from the door panel-20170202_085626.jpg
XUV500 DIY: Removing rattles from the door panel-20170202_085630.jpg
XUV500 DIY: Removing rattles from the door panel-20170202_085633.jpg

3. Prying open the door panel
Most important and hectic step.
Use the flat pry tool (the middle one in the picture above) and start from the lower end of the door panel. Insert the tool between the panel and the door gap by applying a little force and slide the tool along the edges on the panel. The mushroom clips will open up making loud "TAAK" sound. Some clips will give you a hard time. Its time to use the other two prying tools when the flat one doesn't unlock any more clips. Use the bend type tools and insert them at the location of the clips. You will be able to identify the location of the clips when you slide the tool between the gap and it gets stuck. Insert the slit type tool and unlock the clip by pulling up the door panel using the prying tool and a little force by your hands.
There are 3-4 clips at bottom, 2-3 at both sides (my bad that I didn't click those pictures and neither did I count the exact numbers. In the new age XUV, one clip is there each side behind the black part of the door panel.
Once all the clips are removed, the door panel will be hanging loose. Remove the puddle lamp connector through the gap.
XUV500 DIY: Removing rattles from the door panel-20170202_085915_li.jpg

To remove the door panel, you have to lift it up to disengage it from the slot of the window where it rests and then pull outside.
Watch out for all the mushroom clips, if they are broken, shifted from their slots, lock have come out with the clips (they are black clips with white locks. White locks sit in the door and clips sit in the door panel). No issues with the lock coming out with the clip, as I was able to fix it back again without any issues.
I left the door panel hanging and did not remove any other electrical connections. I was able to apply the foam tape with the door panel hanging.

4. Foam Tape Padding
Start applying the foam tape. The location where the door panel edges rest on the door is clearly identifiable on the door. Do not cover the entire area with tape as then the panel doesn't fit back owing to the mushroom clips not being able to lock as the distance is increased by some millimeters due to the foam tape. I did not apply the foam tape behind the black part of the panel as I found it to be soft enough to make any rattles.
I tried some combinations and finally applied the tape like shown int he below pictures. Couldn't click a proper picture of bottom part. I applied the tape between the two mushroom clips at the bottom.
XUV500 DIY: Removing rattles from the door panel-20170202_100744.jpg
XUV500 DIY: Removing rattles from the door panel-20170202_100751.jpg

5. Fix back the puddle lamp electric connector, door panel, screws, all covers. If some mushroom clips don't lock in, slightly cut the foam tape around the clip that isn't locking and that will do the work.
Take care that none of the electrical wires are fouling the holes meant for the screws. Before inserting the screws, visually check for any wires. For front door, ensure that the umbrella holder water drain pipe has been inserted in a hole provided in the door before fixing back the door panel.
How the foam tape looks after fitting back the door panels -
XUV500 DIY: Removing rattles from the door panel-20170202_113143_li.jpg
XUV500 DIY: Removing rattles from the door panel-20170202_113151_li.jpg

Not bad, isn't it

RESULTS:
I took my XUV for two short drives through bad roads and a long drive in a mix of highways and broken roads and I would say that 80-90% of the door panel rattle sound has been reduced. My XUV definitely feels a whole lot quieter than what it was since the last one year.
Also, makes me feel proud of accomplishing something that the ASC guys never could do or bothered to do

Tools Link -
1. Prying Tools -
http://www.amazon.in/Panel-Audio-Ins...ilpage_o01_s00
I had bought it for 695/-, now it shows 990/-
2. Single side stick foam tape is available in any hardware shops. I had ordered this too, but already had one at home so didn't use it - http://www.amazon.in/Bapna-Single-Th...ilpage_o01_s01
This is wider and you will have to cut it into two.

Thanks everyone for their patience in reading this long post. Hoping that this will be of help to most of the car owners as door panel rattles are quite common issues everyone faces.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th April 2017 at 17:00. Reason: Typo
naddy is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 18:21   #2
BHPian

Re: XUV500 DIY: Removing rattles from the door panel

This is very useful post. Not just for XUV but for other cars as well, especially older cars which face increased rattling issue.

I had tried similar thing on my 10 years old Civic, which had developed excessive door rattle. Instead of tape, I used green dish washing scrub, cut them down to required strip size. Then applied Fevibond adhesive on one side and without removing door panels, simply slided in these strips with help of screw driver (between the area where plastic door panel meets metal area). 70-80% noise from this one door have vanished. Next time planning to do same with all remaining 3 doors.
techcoze is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 08:49   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
...Instead of tape, I used green dish washing scrub,
... 70-80% noise from this one door have vanished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naddy View Post
Hi Friends,

Thanks everyone for their patience in reading this long post. Hoping that this will be of help to most of the car owners as door panel rattles are quite common issues everyone faces.
Just when I was thinking - "Only the old threads had people doing such things with passion, seems like all the jugaad geniuses have retired from TBHP"; here you guys are! Wonderful! And Thanks!

I would like to add my 2-paise worth:
I saw the "body" guy at the A S S do this - He stuck some sort of adhesive foam pieces to the metal panels at some strategic points (not just where metal touched something else) - this apparently dampens the resonance at certain frequencies. The interesting thing is, doing this right with small pieces of foam (2" by 2") changed the sound from a tin can type sound to a reassuring, "expensive car" thud!
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:04   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddy View Post
Hi Friends,
4. Foam Tape Padding
Start applying the foam tape. The location where the door panel edges rest on the door is clearly identifiable on the door. Do not cover the entire area with tape as then the panel doesn't fit back owing to the mushroom clips not being able to lock as the distance is increased by some millimeters due to the foam tape. I did not apply the foam tape behind the black part of the panel as I found it to be soft enough to make any rattles.
I tried some combinations and finally applied the tape like shown int he below pictures. Couldn't click a proper picture of bottom part. I applied the tape between the two mushroom clips at the bottom.
Attachment 1603391
Attachment 1603392

2. Single side stick foam tape is available in any hardware shops. I had ordered this too, but already had one at home so didn't use it - http://www.amazon.in/Bapna-Single-Th...ilpage_o01_s01
This is wider and you will have to cut it into two.
Thanks for this. The foam tape was something I was in need of too, not for the rattles but to seal some annoying gaps which might lead to rattles in the future. Have ordered the tape and will check where all it can be padded to remove vibrations.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 15:50   #5
BHPian

I had a similar problem with my Civic but noted that the rattle is coming from the rear parcel tray, so put in some newspaper between that and the glass and it was silent like anything. Took out the same length of newspaper, wrapped it in black chart paper and put it back (since part of it was jutting out of the tray and I just wanted it to blend in with the black colored border of the glass.)
Now my CRV has been making some noise in the back but I'm just not sure where. Went to dealers and several independent garages and they all said the same 'old car..rattles will come...leave it'. Idiots!
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 03:57   #6
BHPian

Yes this is an DIY. Had done the same to my Esteem's panels which had some broken pins.

One can also use this tape from 3M which does an excellent job. I use it in the car, under the home theater speakers to isolate from stands, as mobile bumper to prevent from small drops and knocks, etc.

3M Acrylic Foam Tape

MaSh
mashmash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 12:42   #7
BHPian

I am also planning to do this sometime this week on my XUV500, already have ordered the single sided foam tape should arrive tomorrow. (will post pictures)

But i am planning to do the door panels as well as the tail lights & the black quarter panel above, including the Dickey number plate which makes the most noise.
Old 4th December 2017, 11:33   #8
BHPian

Got this done Yesterday, Took approx. 3 Hours, with nothing but a screwdriver (Sorry no Photos though)

The hardest part is removing without breaking any clips and I guess i achieved that. Used 2 whole rolls of 10 mtr each so whoever does this make sure you have at least 3 with you when you begin.

I had ordered this one:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B06...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is where i've applied this foam tape.
1. All 4 Doors
2. Rear & Front Number plate cladding.
3. Gap between the A Pillar & Front Fenders (both left & right)
4. Removed the front grill and installed a layer between the bottom bumper & grill
5. Gap between the Grill & the bar of bonnet housing.
6. Some regular foam was also placed between the spare tyre & the chassis
7. I also applied electrical tape on the middle row seat that rolls & tumbles for the rear passengers.

I didn't do the tail lights as i saw that it wasn't making any noise.
I was unable to get the Dickey off to get some foam in between, will try that later after asking my mechanic how to get it off.
Another place remaining is the plastic above the instrument cluster, i didn't want to damage removing it hence didn't try.

I am happy to report that all of the cabin noise is completely gone, now all i hear is my suspension & engine. So very happy how this turned out.
dreamz_mak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 10:16   #9
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Naddy for the details about the DIY.
Got it done for my XUV over the weekend and quite happy with the reduction in noise over broken roads.

Complete details here

Last edited by SDP : 25th October 2018 at 12:30.
Old 21st April 2023, 08:55   #10
hps

Exactly what I was looking for.

Have owned XUV earlier version W8 and now have a W11 Auto.
The creaking sounds are the only part I don't like about the car.

Now shall try this fix on mine.

Thanks

Most Viewed