Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2017, 08:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories

Fuse tapping is a clean and harmless way (as in, no OEM wires need to be cut) to power your electrical accessories. I first chanced upon it in this thread by bhpian paragsinchania. This led me to this fuse tapping bible by bhpian arunphilip. These 2 threads have all the technical information and instructions needed to tap any car.

My thread is specific to the 2015 Ford Figo/Aspire as there some things that are different here. For starters, the fuses used are Micro2 and Micro3 (something that even the service centre guys didn't know when I asked them for spare fuses). Micro2 is 2 pronged and Micro3 is 3 pronged; I could only find fuse taps for the Micro2 type.

DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories-20170103_230804.jpg

DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories-20170105_002123.jpg

DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories-20170105_002104.jpg

The different types of fuses

Name:  Electrical_fuses_blade_type.svg 1.png
Views: 15306
Size:  64.0 KB
Wikipedia link to Fuses

Micro2 and Micro3 are apparently rarely used, and these in particular are probably non-standard. I say non-standard because the fuses and the taps refused to slot into the fuse box. This could also be an issue with the taps that I bought, but that's unlikely.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 Ford Figo or Ford Figo Aspire 2015
  • Accessory/accessories that need to be powered
  • OCD for clean, clutter free interiors
  • Owner's Manual
  • Fuse Tap/s
  • Extra Fuses
  • Fuse Puller / Cutting Plier
  • Metal Knife
  • Gas Stove (or any heat source to heat the metal knife)
  • Gold File / Goldsmith
  • Waste Newspapers
  • Gardening Gloves (non-rubber)

Ordering Information

Fuse Taps + Fuses

DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories-33089073682240203.jpg

3pcs MICRO2 BLADE FUSE ADAPTER
http://s.aliexpress.com/EvmIziAb
Price: $4.10 (Rs.285.00)

The fuses that came in the set are all 15A and of cheap quality, but the fuse taps feel really well made. I feel it's better to order extra fuses of the correct amperage from Ford.

DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories-20170127_151529.jpg
This is what I got from AliExpress

Fuse Puller
To pull the fuses out of the fuse box

DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories-125258557989752792.jpg

2pcs Hot sale Universal Blade Fuse Puller
http://s.aliexpress.com/maMF32Un
Price: $0.46 (Rs.32.00)

You can also use a cutting plier, but be gentle with it.

Accessing the FUSE BOX
The Aspire had 3 fuse boxes - two in the engine bay and one in the passenger compartment.

DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories-20170103_091648.jpg
In the engine bay

DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories-20170103_090812.jpg
In the passenger compartment

The one that we need to access, the one in the passenger compartment, is located behind the glove box.

DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories-20170225_092719.jpg

Press these clips present on both sides towards the inside to bring the knobs outside the grooves. (be careful not to push them inside too much; one of mine is already half broken)

DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories-20170226-09.28.51.jpg

This unlocks the glove box, so that it can drop down completely to show the fuse box.

DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories-20170225_092807.jpg

DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories-20170225_092848.jpg
This picture shows the fuse taps already in place. Also note the orientation of the fusetap

As soon as taps arrived from China by India Post, I tried inserting one into the empty slot, but it would not go in. I tried the same with the other 2 taps; none of them would slot in. I realised that the grooves on the fuse tap do not match the grooves on the fuse box.

I went to arunphilip's thread for advice.

Here both arunphilip and audioholic suggested that the issue might be with the 2 metal prongs - I had to file them to match the Ford fuses. I checked by inserting the fuses that came in the set and they were right - they wouldn't go in.

This took me on a hunt to all the hardware stores in town. With no luck. Then somebody suggested to try a goldsmith supply store. And he was right - they had a thin file that would work on the prongs.

DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories-20170221_103905.jpg
It was 40 rupees.

I started to file them but it was taking too much time and effort. So I decided to take professional help and went to an FNG (Friendly Neighbourhood Goldsmith). He did it in 2 days and charged me 100 bucks for it - worth it.

DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories-20170212_204041.jpg
The filed fusetap

With high hopes I went back to the car and...

...the fuse taps still wouldn't fit in.

Next I tried the fuses, and they slotted in perfectly. So what I had thought of initially was also true - the grooves didn't match. I now had to change the grooves on my fusetap. Idea was to melt the grooves with heat. The stage was the kitchen - after midnight.

DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories-20170212_233912.jpg
Knife being heated over flame

DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories-20170212_234000.jpg
Carefully flattening the raised portions

DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories-20170212_234021.jpg
Done

Note: Using gardening gloves would be safer for the fingers. Also keep waste paper nearby - you will need to wipe off the melted plastic off the knife occasionally.

The tap and the fuses now cleanly slot into the fuse box. You can now follow the other two threads for instructions on how to do the wiring for drawing power from your car.

Here are the fuse charts from the Owner's Manual
DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories-20170103_235533.jpg
DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories-20170103_235556.jpg

Note that all the "unused" slots act in the same way as the accessory socket - always on. Take that into consideration while deciding on which fuse slot to use. I have used the audio system fuse (1) for the Dashcam and an empty slot (20) for the additional accessory sockets.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th March 2017 at 07:30. Reason: Correcting image orientation
samaspire is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 07:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the DIY Section. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 10:54   #3
BHPian

I appreciate your interest, hard-work and persistence in getting these fuses work/re-configured. But I did not understand why this should be done. What is the end game here? Seems like a lot hard work.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 6th March 2017 at 10:54. Reason: typo
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 11:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
What is the end game here?
To power accessories like Dashcam, Bluetooth headsets, etc. without wires dangling in plain view, and to ensure that they switch on/off automatically without direct intervention. Fuse tapping is the 1st step in hardwiring these accessories. The actual process of fuse tapping and hardwiring is detailed in the other two threads linked in the beginning of my post.
samaspire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 10:23   #5
BHPian

Re: DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
To power accessories like Dashcam, Bluetooth headsets, etc. without wires dangling in plain view, and to ensure that they switch on/off automatically without direct intervention. Fuse tapping is the 1st step in hardwiring these accessories. The actual process of fuse tapping and hardwiring is detailed in the other two threads linked in the beginning of my post.
Makes perfect sense now! It all falls into place given the context. I wish car companies make these tasks simple by providing us with some plug-points (like how we have in homes). Having this kind of knowledge during the early days of ownership of a car (read when-you-were-young!) is invaluable. Thanks for such a useful thread.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 14:00   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for putting your effort in detailing the steps.
Sorry for hijacking your thread, I'm adding a bit of salt to enrich the flavor (hope you don't mind)

Please take care in finding the Input & Output terminals of slots in fuse box (either with a fuse tester or multi-meter or by other means) Wrong orientation of fuse tap will add adverse effects.

I'm no good at electrical circuits, pardon for the crappy explanation.
DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories-fuse-tap.jpg

In a fuse tap, Input ends were inter-connected and individual outputs (one to the regular fuse slot and other external output) were controlled by the Fuse. Failure of 1 fuse will not affect the functioning of other.

If the fuse tap direction is reversed, Input for the intended 2nd source will be taken from the output of the original / stock fuse. In other words, the regular fuse will take both the loads. And failure of fuse 1 will affect both the outputs.
Mr.Boss is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 06:54   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post

Note that all the "unused" slots act in the same way as the accessory socket - always on. Take that into consideration while deciding on which fuse slot to use. I have used the audio system fuse (1) for the Dashcam and an empty slot (20) for the additional accessory sockets.
Hi Sam,
Thank you for creating the thread.

How did you arrive at this conclusion? Did you use a tester/multimeter to check?
I have a dashcam which needs both an acc connection as well as a full time on connection. After playing around a bitz I figured that 17 (For radio) is always on and plan to use it.
However, I am not sure of which other will act as the acc/power on only at ignition. Any pointers helpful.
jayakumarkp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 18:25   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakumarkp View Post
I have a dashcam which needs both an acc connection as well as a full time on connection. After playing around a bitz I figured that 17 (For radio) is always on and plan to use it.
However, I am not sure of which other will act as the acc/power on only at ignition.
That's BAT +ve line and always ON (irrespective of ignition ON/OFF or key position) For dashcam it is better to tap from fuse #1 (Audio) which is controlled by Ignition key.
Old 20th September 2020, 08:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakumarkp View Post
Hi Sam,
Thank you for creating the thread.

How did you arrive at this conclusion? Did you use a tester/multimeter to check?

Thank you.

I did not have a tester in hand then, so I think I did the trial and error method.

What kind of dashcam is this? Does it need 2 different power inputs? Can you show us a picture?

The always on fuse will enable your dashcam to consume battery 24x7. Might lead to battery drain.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 19:18   #10
BHPian

I finally got a multimeter and figured that Slot 1 is the one which powers on while at ignition.
So, finally I have unknowingly come up at same conf as yours. 21(Always On) and 1(ignition and beyond. )
However today i couldnt finish the install since the fuse tap didn't fit at 21. Have to file a small portion of the fuse box to get it through. May be tomorrow.

The dashcam I got is a relatively new model - Ddpai Mola N3.
Psb the wiring harness pic.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories-img_20200916_1302382.jpg  

jayakumarkp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed