Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2019, 23:58   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Car Hobby: A lot of fiddling, and some driving too! Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123 & Alfa Romeo Sp

Today I carried on with the valve cover of the W123.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p7280001.jpg

As per the previous post I had covered it in a thick, thick layer of paint remover. You need to leave it overnight and then the next morning, you should be able to scrape of the paint remover, taking all the paint with it. Or so it says on the label.

Actually, I must admit, it did a pretty good job, fairly easy to strip off.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p7280002.jpg

All that comes off is dry paint stripper and dry flakes of paint

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p7280003.jpg

As usual, the devil is in the details and getting all the little nooks, holes etc properly clean still takes a lot of elbow grease!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p7280004.jpg

Once the paint is removed a very thorough cleaning with degreaser:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p7280006.jpg

IN all took about 2 hours to prepare the valve cover for painting.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p7280005.jpg

Took my Workmate out in the garden. I don’t want to be using spray paint inside my garage.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p7280010.jpg

I sprayed very thin layers, layer after layer, in between waiting for 10-12 minutes
This paint is special heat resistant paint. Sprays on nicely.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p7280011.jpg

In between waiting, I also quickly gave the master brake cylinder a second coat of paint.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p7280012.jpg

After about 5-6 layers of very thin spraying the valve cover starts to look good!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p7280013.jpg

After an hour you are supposed to put the item you just sprayed into an oven and bake/cure the paint for about an hour at around 100oC. My wife was home, so using one of her ovens was out of the question. So I improvised with a hair blower. Put it on full, covered half the air inlet and positioning it over the oil filler opening.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p7280015.jpg

Left it running for an hour and a half. Checked it with my infrared thermometer. After 20 minutes it was registering already 85oC.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p7280019.jpg

Infrared thermometers on black paint and aluminium are notoriously unreliable. I felt the cover several time. I am not as experienced at “feeling” temperature as when I was still an engineer in the merchant navy. But after half an hour it was definitely well above 85oC. So I am pretty sure the paint is properly baked/cured.

Next, putting it all back together.

Jeroen

Last edited by ajmat : 29th July 2019 at 10:52. Reason: typo
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 10:54   #317
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Car Hobby: A lot of fiddling, and some driving too! Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123 & Alfa Romeo Sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
T
My wife was home, so using one of her ovens was out of the question. So I improvised with a hair blower. Put it on full, covered half the air inlet and positioning it over the oil filler opening.
Does your wife ever wonder what would happen if she left you alone at home for a length of time?

I have been berated for cleaning my tools in the dishwasher once (servants tipped her off!)
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 12:06   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Does your wife ever wonder what would happen if she left you alone at home for a length of time?

I have been berated for cleaning my tools in the dishwasher once (servants tipped her off!)
She is very suspicious! In all honesty, I am not sure the valve cover would have fitted in one of her ovens, as it is quite large.

I have used the oven and the freezer in the past. Especially when fitting parts such as bearings, sleeves etc. Cool one part down, warm the other one up. Makes for very easy fitting.

On the other hand, her refusal to let me use her kitchen machinery has been a good excuse to buy some stuff myself. I do not have to use her dishwasher any more as I bought my own de-greasing tank (as shown).

Jeroen
Old 30th July 2019, 15:20   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

Last night I finished the work on the valve cover of the W123.

First thing is to remove any paint and blemishes on the underside of the valve cover. The seal/gasket needs to fit as neatly as possible.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p7290001.jpg

Also, took of a bit of paint, where the seal of the oil filler cap will be. You don’t want the paint on the seal. In the end it will rub off and it ends up in the engine oil

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p7290002.jpg

The valve cover put back where it belongs. Put the two new rubber grommets in. (had to use a tap to clean out the paint in the holes. Notice the blue labels on the spark plugs cables. When removing the spark plug cables I always label them. It makes for so much easier re-assembly. I am very please how it turned out. Also, I managed to get the spark plug cable back into their plastic cable trays. Sounds easy, but believe me, it is a real PITA. But it sure looks neat!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p7290003.jpg

A few more detailled shots.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p7290004.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p7290005.jpg

Next installed the air filter housing and the various houses attached to it. Of course, it covers up 90% of the valve cover. But the bit that is still visible looks very neat and tidy.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p7290006.jpg

The end result. A combination of the dry ice blasting, re-painting of the valve cover and a lot of additional tidying up all along the engine bay.

I am very please with the end result. Only three weeks to go to the Concours d’Elegance. And I will be away on business trips for at least 10 days, so I will start cleaning and polishing in the days to come.

I did notice a potential problem with the air inlet. It has a valve that is supposed to divert the air inlet towards drawing the air from around the exhaust gas manifold during winter. So the inlet air is warm. But today the ambient temperature is around 25-26oC and I noticed the valve was still stuck in the winter position. I will need to check it some more. This is an automatically operated valve, powered by a simple thermal bulb or something like that. So more to come!

Jeroen
Attached Thumbnails
My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p7290009.jpg  

Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 13:03   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Started (power) washing, waxing cleaning the W123 last night. Beginning to look good.

I posted a few notes on several W123 forums and FB groups regarding the problem with the cold /warm air valve. Did some digging into my workshop manuals. Sure enough this thing is broken!

The Germans call this the Ansaughtluftvorwarmumg. Which means the inlet air pre-heating.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-w123-airinlet-thermostat.jpeg

At temperatures below 13oC it should be in the full warm position. Above 25oC it should be in the full cold position. In between 13-25oC it mixes warm and cold air.

So mine is definitely broken.

Put in a few calls to some W123 part suppliers. Hit pay-dirt on the second call:

They can deliver the thermostat part for a mere Euro 15! They could also see that the last time they supplied this part was 2012. So not in much demand. I suspect it is primarily because few people would bother to check and the car runs fine with it not working. Also, I have seen on many W123 the flexible hose between the air inlet filter and the exhaust manifold missing. So irrespective of the position of the valve, it would such air from within the engine compartment. I replaced that flexible hose some years ago. It is somewhere in the earlier posts of this thread.

This is it, part number 2 in this drawing

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-image001.png

They will order from Mercedes Germany and hopefully I will be able to pick it up tomorrow afternoon after work. (This place is nearby my office, so I save on packing and delivery cost, picking it up)

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 10:53   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday afternoon, on my way home from work, I picked up the new Thermostat for the inlet air valve. It is just a tiny very simple part.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p8010008.jpg

So, once again, open up the W123.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p8010010.jpg

Very simple to get the whole assembly off, just undo four screws and that’s it. The whole thing (see the drawing in one of the earlier posts) slides out.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p8010011.jpg

Here you can clearly see the little thermostat valve. It actuates a pushrod that moves the cold / warm air valve.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p8010012.jpg

Just popped the old one out and compared it to the new one (on the left). The difference is obvious, the right one is broken. At this ambient temperature (approx 23oC) it should be fully extended.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p8010014.jpg

Popped the new one into the frame. Looks good!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p8010017.jpg

Working properly again. The new thermostat keeps the warm / cold air valve in the full open position once again!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p8010016.jpg

I had washed and waxed the W123 earlier and I am still doing endless little tidying up jobs. But it is beginning to look really smart!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p8010005.jpg

Spotted a tiny bit of rust on the left front wing. So a bit of sand papering, masking tape, rust binder and a bit of new paint.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p8010006.jpg

Twice a year very close inspection of the open roof. These are notorious for rusting very badly and that will mean very expensive repairs. Found a few spots of rust and dealt with it.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p8010007.jpg

The W123 is known as the last properly designed, engineered and built Mercedes. They did everything in house more or less. So it is supposed the last legendary Mercedes Quality car. To a large extent this is true. These cars are extremely well put together and clock phenomenal miles and years. However, they also rust badly. In fact I daresay it is probably the most rust prone car I have ever owned. More so than my Alfa, or in the past Triumphs.

Anyway, the W123 is just about ready for the Concour d’Elegance in a few weeks time. I am really looking forward it. Stay tuned. So with it all clean and polished I put her (according to my wife it is a she and she is called Brunhilda (by my wife, not by me), into her pyjama.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p8010018.jpg

This Sunday we will visit a nice event. It is held in one of many castles/estates we have here in the Netherland. Which means we will take the Jaguar to drive up there. Best car for visiting castles, obviously!

So a quick wash and shine was in order:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p8010001.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p8010002.jpg

I like washing and cleaning my cars. All part of the fiddling. I am not a real great detailer, but I like to think I do manage half a decent job. Over the years I have developed a certain routine that works for me. And I have used many different cleaning products. This is my current ways of working.

I use my high pressure washer to give the car an initial wash down. I use these special soap canisters that fit onto the pressure washer. So it spouts out high pressure water with soap. Works really well on the wheels.

I have an industrial type of vacuum cleaner and of course my special very Dutch door mat flogger!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p8010003.jpg

All cars get a clay-bar/proper wax job once or twice a year. Throughout the year the wax is maintained with various products. I have started using the two products on the left recently and they work extremely well.

The Yellow bottle is a soap. Use it in a bucket of warm water and with a special washing mitt I clean the car. Then another hose down with the high pressure washer. Next I spray this special stuff from the blue bottle. All you do next is hose it down. Both these two products do a pretty good job, each on their own, restoring the wax. But I found when using them in tandem the result is as good as a proper wax job. It is a lot faster though.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p8010009.jpg

I have this special window polish (little bottle at the back). It does a really good job on the front window. Removes all dirts, tar, whatever deposits. Next I clean it with my special window cleaner. I bought this some time ago, when I took the Jaguar to get its window fixed. (see some posts earlier). Again, this is industrial stuff, the stuff the pro-s use. It is expensive, but works well. I use it on all windows.

The red bottle is some oily liquid that restore/rejuvenates plastics and rubbers. I must have tried dozens and dozens of these. This one does pretty good on most of the plastics and rubbers. Not so great on dashboards. I have some other stuff for the dashboard.

It takes me about 1.5 - 2 hours to clean one of my cars like this. That includes getting all the tools ready and cleaning up afterwards too. Not too bad. Mind you the current Dorrestein Fleet has 5 cars.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 10:50   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, they also rust badly. In fact I daresay it is probably the most rust prone car I have ever owned. More so than my Alfa, or in the past Triumphs.
This is surprising. Guess you Alfa is not built using the (in)famous Russian steel.

Now if you could let us have a peek at your bathroom closet!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 19:40   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

This afternoon a quick job on the Spider. Although de dry-ice blasting was very successful on the engine compartment it could not be done on the inside of the engine bonnet. This car has had a Dinitrol anti-rust treatment and they also covered the inside of the engine bonnet with a very fine coat of some sort. The good news, never rust. The bad news, all the dirt gets stuck into it.

With my special new Belgium de-greaser, couple of hours elbow grease thrown in and it looks completely different!

Before:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p8040003.jpg

After:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p8040005.jpg

On the inside of the bonnet is also a small light fitting. The idea you can see something at night under your bonnet. Could thing I was working on the bonnet. it was broken in three pieces and was only just about held together by grease and much. I have to see if I can find a replacement. Or better yet, I might make the fitting myself. Still need to start a first real project on my mini mill.
Old 4th August 2019, 20:41   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

What a good idea, to put a light on the bonnet!

And you have done a great job, as always.

I tried some automotive brand of degreaser on our cooker top recently. I was amazed at how easily the grease just floated off. But it didn't smell so good. Not that that matters, as the smell disappears soon after the grease is wiped away, but I can't see it becoming popular with housewives.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 11:44   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

The light underneath the bonnet, or rather what is left of it

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-imageuploadedbyteambhp1564985672.030754.jpg
Old 6th August 2019, 17:48   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Today the new light fitting arrived. Looks like the old one was in worse shape then I thought. It is supposed to have this reflector.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565093612.135320.jpg

Quickly fitted it

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565093634.454208.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565093647.719562.jpg

Initially it did not work. Some quick trouble shooting revealed some dirty contacts on the switch. Very simple open switch operated by the bonnet. Nothing a squirt with some contact cleaner could not fix!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565093719.123595.jpg

All in all, less than five minutes of fiddling to install and get it working. Very rewarding to get these details right! When you look at these close up photographs, still a lot more dirt and muck I will need to clean!

Tomorrow I have to pick up my passport with its Indian visa from the Indian consulate in The Hague. I will be taking the Spider. I am stopping by at a specialist in polishing and valeting. The Spider's paint is really in need of a proper polish. I do not want to do that myself. Requires specialist knowledge, experience and tools.
Let s what they say

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 6th August 2019 at 17:59.
Old 8th August 2019, 18:02   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

Combining my photography hobby with my car hobby.

I have a pretty good Photo printer, Epson Stylus R3000. I can print up to A3 size.

Found these two images on Facebook at the respective pages. Downloaded them, printed them A3 and now ready to hang them in my garage. Makes for very nice posters!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565267507.936105.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565267521.051521.jpg

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 8th August 2019 at 18:04.
Old 9th August 2019, 14:26   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Early this morning, before work, I took my Alfa Spider to my usual Alfa Specialist Garage. A couple of things I wanted their opinion on. The car still pulls ever so lightly to the right. And there are several oil leaks. As you will have seen, I have fixed quite a few of them during this year. But I keep finding quite a puddle underneath the car, which looks like gear box oil.

So, a quick test drive, double checked the brakes and on the brake test machine as well and up on the lift for further inspection

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565340978.344163.jpg

We checked and double checked all the suspension components for any play. (Last year several of the rubber bushing were replaced. Nothing obvious come to light. So, the most likely is still one of the brake callipers needing proper overhaul. Actually, these days it might be cheaper to just replace them. I will have a go at this during the winter, as the Spider is not allowed to be driven from December though February.

The oil is definitely gear box oil. We checked the level in the box and it needed topping up. This is likely to be a big and specialist job, because it will need removing and opening up the gear box. I would like to do it myself, but without a lift it is really difficult. Especially just by yourself. The differential has always shown some ‘weeping’. So when we remove the gear box, it also means removing the prop shaft and that means we will have access to the differential as well. So the Spider will go in for some major work second week of October. Once we have the gear box out, we will decided what to do with the clutch, throw out bearing and anything else. I replaced the clutch quite some time ago, using a lift in one of my Spider Friends hobby garage. So I need to check how much mileage it has done.

The gear box needs to be opened up to replace all the seals and we noticed some ‘weeping’, so all of that needs fixing. Other than the leaks/weeping the gear box appears to be in very good shape still. Works really well, no noises. But you never know what you will find, once you open up, what is essentially a 33 year old gear box.

On these sort of jobs, the labour tends to exceed the part cost by a huge margin. My specials Alfa Garage friends charge Euro 70 per hour. That is actually not too bad. But it also means that when they spend so much time (and money) removing the gearbox it might be better to just replace everything.

I need to check my old invoices from the parts to figure out when I installed the last clutch.

This weekend there is a huge classic car event nearby. Depends a bit on the weather, but I might take my Spider and participate.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 9th August 2019 at 14:40.
Old 11th August 2019, 01:20   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

My Car Hobby: A lot of fiddling, and some driving too! Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W...

I took my Jaguar for a nice drive. When I arrived home I noticed this:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565466355.358101.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565466371.177057.jpg

Attachment 1904160

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565466384.794237.jpg

I have no idea where I picked this up. It looks like paint. It did come off with some water, a sponge and a lot of elbow greased. It was all along the right side. Took me more than 2,5 hours cleaning and polishing

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565466533.680101.jpg

Finished cleaning and polishing the Spider. Tomorrow I am visiting a nice classic car event about a half hours drive from our home.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565466604.766015.jpg

Jeroen

Last edited by ajmat : 11th August 2019 at 12:41. Reason: Removing duplicate pic
Old 11th August 2019, 12:43   #330
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Car Hobby: A lot of fiddling, and some driving too! Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W...

Quote:

I have no idea where I picked this up. It looks like paint. It did come off with some water, a sponge and a lot of elbow greased. It was all along the right side. Took me more than 2,5 hours cleaning and polishing
Was it due to some recent road marking painting? I would have through that it would take more than elbow grease to remove

Most Viewed