Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2020, 13:14   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Car Hobby: A lot of fiddling, and some driving too! Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123 & Alfa Romeo Sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
But I could not figure out what kind of material the handle was. I checked it is not magnetic, it must be some sort of die cast, that is polished to a very high standard.
Likely to be Antimony. Or Mazak + plating. Both low melting point.

Buy used and destroy to confirm!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 00:34   #467
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Car Hobby: A lot of fiddling, and some driving too! Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123 & Alfa Romeo Sp

Another very windy and rainy horrible day here in the Netherlands. It has been wheather like this for weeks, and the forecast is it will be weather like this for the next fortnight as well.

But I am busy in my garage! Today, Saturday first thing Johan came around and delivered the wheels for the Spider! New Michelin Tires fitted too, all balanced!

I think they look gorgeous:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2220002.jpg

Balancing lead on the inside. No hideous bits of leads showing on the outside. No paint on the centre hub!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2220004.jpg

I had also give Johan the spare wheel and asked him to put the best old tire on it.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2220003.jpg

Earlier this morning I had gotten the new and cleaned and polished parts ready for installation:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2220001.jpg

First thing was to mount the brand new centre plates with the Alfa logo onto the rims. Took a bit of scraping of the paint as they would not fit. I put some vaseline underneath it to stop any corrosion.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2220010.jpg

When fitting light alloy rims to steel hubs it is good practice to put some grease all over the hub. Alloy (aluminium) and steel will start to corrode. The grease will ensure that you can get the rim easily of the hub!A bit of grease on the bolts helps too. Just do not get grease onto the mating surface of the lug nuts and the rims. The torquing value are typically provided for dry clean surfaces, unless specifically mentioned that you need to apply oil or grease!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2220011.jpg

Put all four wheels back on, tightened them loose with my pneumatic torque wrench. Used a jack on both sides of the car to lift so I could pull the axle stands from underneath the Spider.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2220012.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2220013.jpg

Finally, with the wheels on the ground, I used my proper torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts properly. In this case 110 Nm. Four nuts, so you tighten by starting on one nut, than 180o below, next 90o up, 180o across. Only push the torque wrench so you hear feel one click, then move to the next nut. Keeping going around in the same pattern until none of the nuts move any more, with one click.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2220014.jpg

Looks smashing:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2220015.jpg

Just about as I was finished with the wheels of the Spider, Dirk rocked up with the new striping for the Jaguar.

He got going straight away:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2220005.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2220006.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2220007.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2220008.jpg

It was immediately clear that the new striping did not match the old striping. We discussed and since Dirk had enough material and time, we decided to replace all old striping. The likelyhood of finding an exact colour match were remote at best and we both quite liked how the new striping looked!

So Dirk took to taking all the old striping off.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2220009.jpg

Dirk used a hot air gun, a special little plastic scraper and lots of elbow grease. The old striping did come off, but it was also clear that it had sort of “eaten into the paint”. Luckily the new striping would cover all of that!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2220009.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	1972597

Once all the old striping was removed, Dirk buffed the whole area with a very special cleaner/degreaser. It removes everything from the surface, dirt, grime but also wax. Also, it is a sort of helps putting the new stripping in place. It ensures the new striping does not adhere to the paint straight away. So you can move it around easily, push bubbles out, get it perfectly aligned.

Once properly in position, Dirk uses the heat gun and an Infra Red thermometer. He heats the striping to exactly 80oC, pushes down on the striping and that is how it finally bonds with the paint on the car!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2220016.jpg

Once the left side was done, I turned the car around for better access to the right side:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2220018.jpg

I am very pleased with the end result. I am pleased we decided to replace all the striping. This looks so much more fresh!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2220017.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2220019.jpg

In all, it took Dirk almost four hours to complete this job. I certainly could not have done it. It looks easy enough, but it takes a lot of experience and a very steady hand to get these very delicate stripes exactly in the right position.

Whilst Dirk was working on the striping, I had another look at the right front speaker of the Spider. Remember, it is not working. I need to get it out, but it is blocked, partly by the AC condensor and AC fan. I spend some time with flashlights, mirrors and scope poking around to figure out how te get it removed. I am not much the wiser yet. Other than I have noticed that the mounts for the AC fan look as if they have been glued/cemented. So when I start taking it apart, it is very likely to brake again. We will cross that bridge when we get to it.

Next thing: Monday and Tuesday, Matthieu will be polishing the Spider!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 09:47   #468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In all, it took Dirk almost four hours to complete this job. I certainly could not have done it. It looks easy enough, but it takes a lot of experience and a very steady hand to get these very delicate stripes exactly in the right position.
It hurts to even think about it. Amazing skill!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 19:57   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

If anything, the weather today is even worse than yesterday. Now it is a proper storm out there, again I might add, jus like last weekend. So another indoor day it looks like.

We had another flea / brocante market near our home. I enjoy spending an hour or so looking at all this stuff. I am usually on the lookout for tools, signs for my garage, measuring instruments for my little museum collection, model cars, that sort of thing. Normally I would ride my bicycle to it, less than 3 kilometers from our home, but today I took the car. Way too much wind and rain!

I found myself another interesting measuring instrument. This is a clamp on volt and current tester.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2358.jpg

The sign I bought for Dirk. I have an identical one in my garage and he liked it a lot. So I promised to get him one, if I came across one. Which was today.

This instrument has an interesting scale. You set the scale with the little thumb wheel and they rotate. Volt scales in red, Amp scale in black

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2359.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2360.jpg

It came with all the probe, including this special ohm probe

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2361.jpg

Whilst I was rummaging around the flu market my friend Berndt called. I agreed to go and see him on the way home. Just to catch up and spend some time with him. As you might recall Berndt owns and operates the Minidome. A miniature car collection museum,

https://www.minidome.nl/home%202.html

More than 7000 miniature car models. Berndt knows each and everyone and has a story about each model and how he acquired it. We usually end up sitting in his museum talking about cars!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2355.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2357.jpg

Berndt, very kindly, also gave me another little Matchbox model:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_23622.jpg

He knew this model had some special meaning to me. When I was a little boy (primary school) for my birthdays, my dad would take me and 1-2 of my friends out for a special day. One year he took us to a car museum, where we spend the whole day. At the end of the day, he took us through the museum shop and all three of us were allowed to choose a little Matchbox. I remember we all three chose the very same, this very little Jaguar. I am not sure, but it was probably my 10th birthday. Somewhere in my parents old photo albums, there should be a photograph of me playing with it!

i spend a couple of hours with Berndt, drinking coffee, talking cars and all sorts of other stuff. Very pleasant way to pass a very windy and wet, horrible Sunday afternoon

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 23rd February 2020 at 20:10.
Jeroen is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 11:29   #470
BHPian

Wonderful Jeroen. You live in a beautiful clean country with beautiful cars that remain clean. You come to India and you have to clean them everyday - you know that.
Your mancave is a typical dream garage. I would like to build it and work peacefully in it.. some day.

Best regards
KkVaidya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 15:48   #471
Distinguished - BHPian

I bet that analogue clamp meter would have been a very expensive tool when new!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Wonderful Jeroen. You live in a beautiful clean country with beautiful cars that remain clean. You come to India and you have to clean them everyday - you know that.
It's not that simple. My car in Chennai gets more dust on it in an hour, than my car in London would have done in a week. However, in Chennai, a Jopasu duster mostly reveals a fairly clean surface, whereas in London, there was always grease with the dirt, and a proper wash was the only way to remove it.
Old 24th February 2020, 16:55   #472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's not that simple. My car in Chennai gets more dust on it in an hour, than my car in London would have done in a week. However, in Chennai, a Jopasu duster mostly reveals a fairly clean surface, whereas in London, there was always grease with the dirt, and a proper wash was the only way to remove it.
True, it really depends on the location. Just plain old dust tends to be easy to remove. But when you live in or near industrial areas, you might have all sorts of stuff in the air.

For instance, here in the Netherlands, people living close to the Steel factories always have problems with their cars. Our steel factories are just behind the seat dunes. So you have a combination of salty air, with dust containing coal dust.Not a happy combination, very corrosive!

Occasionally we get Sahara sand blown across Europe. It tends to travel high up in the air and comes down with showers. Difficult to clean of your car too!

Keeping your car in a garage, any car, any garage, does make a huge difference too of course!

I am lucky air quality wise. We live in a rural part of the Netherlands, so usually we are pretty good. And we don’t get too much nastiness coming down on our cars. Except when parking under trees. I don’t understand it. We have some big trees in our garden. No bird droppings underneath. In order to get my cars out of our garage, I need to move our daily cars, which all live outside permanently, under the trees, to make room. Within minutes these cars will have bird poo on them? Somehow birds prefer to poop on shiny car paint it seems.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 18:18   #473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Somehow birds prefer to poop on shiny car paint it seems.
And even weirder... Car manufacturers don't even consider this when formulating their paints!

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 19:11   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

The fault is entirely mine, I reckon: I have chosen the wrong color paint:

Red and blue attract more bird poo!

https://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/21/...3UnKpdZmvP10e0
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 21:46   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

Day one of Spider Polishing:

Over the weekend I had been talking to Matthieu, the owner of Autopoesten Carclean. https://www.auto-poetsen.com

We had agreed he would arrive at 07.30am. Which meant I had to get to get the Spider ready, park it outside the garage and have the garden hose ready.

So I was up very early this morning, moving three cars out of the way, before I can take the Spider out. Next I found our garden hose and connected it to our outside tap. In the Netherlands just about every house will have an outside tap. For watering your garden, plants, or, case in point, wash your car.

Dutch outside taps will be turned off end of the autumn and the pipes will be drained. This because we do get frost here. Not as much as we used to when I grew up, but temperatures can dip well, well below zero degree Celsius here. And you do not want your pipes bursting. Hence, you close the outside tap and drain the pipe. Very simple, any Dutch houser does it. So did I. Unfortunately, the tap was frozen solid. Not due to frost, but some other reasons. Took me twenty minutes to open up the tap, at which time Mattieu had arrived his cool looking van:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2240005.jpg

And it is absolutely packed solid with cleaning and polishing stuff!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2240003.jpg

Frist thing he did was put some special soft top cleaner on the Spider soft top.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2240001.jpg

No guessing as to his favourite cleaning materials.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2240002.jpg

Next the Spider got hosed down and washed with water and soap. Matthieu uses just washing up liquid, no car shampoo. For the simple reason all grease, wax and much needs to come off the paint!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2240006.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2240007.jpg

After he washed the car and dried it with a towel, I parked the Spider back into its usual spot, so Matthieu could work inside the garage. It is still nasty weather. We were lucky as the rain held off, whilst the Spider was outside the garage. But it is still pouring and a lot of wind too.

With the Spider back in its spot, I also moved the Jaguar back in and Matthieu started offloading his van into my garage.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2240008.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2240009.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2240010.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2240026.jpg

Next job was to clay the whole Spider. Matthieu has a special clay-glove! I had never seen or heard of a clay glove. I used clay bars.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2240021.jpg

Next came taping of the various plastic and rubber bits, sealing the engine compartment (against dust).

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2240012.jpg

Then some small paint repair. I still had a little bit of spot repair paint in the correct color. I had brought it inside our home the night before, to make sure it had the right temperature. It is around 10oC in my garage and a few degrees lower during the night.

This is how a pro paints: magnifier and lots of light!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2240014.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2240015.jpg

Next the real polishing starts:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2240016.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2240017.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2240018.jpg

Look at the difference between the left (polished) and right (unpolished) side of the boot!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2240020.jpg

Matthieu used three different machines, a whole range of different pads and all sorts of liquids and pastes.

And this is just the rough pre-polish to get rid of the relatively large scratches and swirls.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2240023.jpg

Tomorrow more polishing and waxing. To be continued. I am hugely impressed with Matthieu and workmanship. It is a bit difficult to see in these images, but the Spider looks so much better already. And he is not even half way done!!

By 1700 Matthieu called it a day. He spend 30 minutes, cleaning his tools, putting them away methodically, all ready for tomorrow! I like that, real pro!

Jeroen
Attached Thumbnails
My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2240011.jpg  

Last edited by Jeroen : 24th February 2020 at 22:00.
Jeroen is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 10:13   #476
Distinguished - BHPian

Day two Spider Polishing

Matthieu was back at 07.30 on Tuesday morning.

Still more polishing to be done. Matthieu used three different polishing machine.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250001.jpg

One of the important aspect is to check the thickness of the paint! The thinner, the less polishing can be done. Matthieu also takes a lot of video’s and photographs of his work. To be used as a reference.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250004.jpg

More polishing to be done

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250007.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250008.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250009.jpg

The polishing takes place in multiple phases, using different machines, with different actions (circular, eccentric), different size of pads, different kind of pads and different fluids and polishing paste

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250012.jpg

The polishing is what takes most of the time. Out of the two days probably about 2/3 of the time is polishing. Once that is done, putting the wax on is fairly straight forward and quick

Matthieu uses an applicator pad to put a very thin layer of wax on the paint

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250014.jpg

Next, a lot of buffing to get a very deep shine!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250015.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250017.jpg

For every job, for every different kind of material different kind of polish

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250023.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250026.jpg

Every part of the car has been polished and gets waxed. All chrome, and stainless steel bits get treated as well.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250027.jpg

Finally, Matthieu also vacuum the interior. He had this really cool attachment. Air gets blown through a very narrow little straw in the middle of the nozzle attachment. The straw is flexible and moves about. The air will open up the carpet and allows all the dirt and muck to be sucked out by the hoover. Pretty neat. I might try and make one of these myself!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250028.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250029.jpg

Works amazingly well

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250031.jpg

Every nook and granny gets hoovered!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250032.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250033.jpg
Jeroen is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 10:23   #477
Distinguished - BHPian

End of Day 2 Spider Polishing: The result

I am extremely pleased with the result. Matthieu has done himself proud and outperform my expectations. It is a bit difficult to show in these photographs, but the paint on my Spider was getting on quite a bit, real tired. Swirls, scratches.

Matthieu has managed to get rid of nearly all, except the deepest, scratches. Also, the paint looks a lot more deeper red now. My wife when she first saw it could not believe her eyes!

So here is me showing of the end result.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250035.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250038.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250039.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250040.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250042.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250043.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250045.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250047.jpg

Matthieu also left me with one little pot of SwissWax. These pots are little, very expensive (+/- Euro 100), but should last a very long time.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p2250051.jpg

Finally, I also got presented with a very nice certificate showing exactly what kind of treatment the Spider had received:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-swisswax-certificate.jpeg

Again, I am very satisfied and happy with the end result. My Spider looks so much better. This paint was 23 years old. And now it looks better than new! Amazing.

Friday spanner mate Peter is coming to appraise all three cars for insurance purpose. They are all ready and shiny!

I have also made an appointment for next week to take my Souriau multitester to the company I found that knows how to fix and service these testers.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 26th February 2020 at 10:43.
Jeroen is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 14:06   #478
Distinguished - BHPian

What fantastic work! Very nice job
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 16:17   #479
Distinguished - BHPian

Peter came round this morning for the valuation/appraisal of all three cars.

I am happy to report that all have gone up in value, the Spider and the Jaguar the most. The W123 the least.

Peter will put all the details of each car in an individual valuation report. He sends those reports to me and the insurance company. All three cars have a so called, fully comprehensive Classic Car insurance, against appraised value.

These reports describe in quite some detail the status and condition of the car. Regular maintenance is not mentioned, but anything beyond is. For instance the fact that I replaced the Supercharger cooling liquid pump with an upgraded one. The fact that the engine bays were cleaned with dry ices, that the Spider got the full Swissvax clean/polish/wax treatment. State of the tires, (i.e. thread depth, in my case all car have just gotten brand new tires).

I am not quite sure how things work in India. But here in Europe car insurance and pay out is against day value. Which is more or less a function of mileage and depreciation. For instance, the “day value” of the Jaguar is less than a few thousand Euro. The appraised value is ten times as much.

So we have these special classic car insurance that are based on appraised value. If the car get stolen or is totalled I would get the appraised value, not the day value.

The appraised needs to be done by a certified and recognised classic car appraiser. There are about 20-25 of them here in the Netherlands and Peter is one of them.

These classic car insurance also have a few other “classic car” specifics. In case of damage, I can choose the repair / paint shop myself. Or I can choose to have the cos of the repair paid in cash, including VAT.

It also provides repatriation of the car in case of break down, from anywhere in Europe.

The report is valid for three years and then the car needs to be re-appraised. Or on some cars if the market value changes a lot it might be beneficial to adjust accordingly. Peter does a lot of Porsches, and some of them get adjusted every 6 months!

An appraised done at your private home, typically will cost around Euro 100. Many clubs offer appraisal days, where you get a better rate. Peter does so every year for the Alfa Romeo Spider Register. Actually, we have a day like that planned in a few weeks.

The actual premium of these classic car insurance are very cheap, compared to normal fully comprehensive car insurance. It usually works out around 1% of the appraisal value on an annual basis.

The reason classic car insurance premiums are so low is due to a couple of factors. Classic cars do little mileage. Average, well recorded here in the Netherlands is only 1800 km/year. Classic cars tend to be driven during weekends, not weekday rush hours and driven carefully. So a lot less damage than on regular cars.

We did discover one little issue with the W123. We wanted it to move it a bit, as Peter also takes photographs of each car for the report. Looks like at least one, maybe more brakes are a bit stuck! Sunday is March 1st and I can take these cars out on the road again. So lets see what happens if I drive it and do some actually braking. Hopefully that will solve it, if not some fiddling to be done!

Jeroen

Last edited by ajmat : 28th February 2020 at 21:28.
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 18:03   #480
BHPian

@jeroen

Nice Job Mate , How Much He Charged To detail The Car ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks