Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2020, 16:21   #511
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Car Hobby: A lot of fiddling, and some driving too! Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123 & Alfa Romeo Sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
In which case approximate it by a 80/ 63 or 47/ 37 compound. That will be far better than what you have now. BSP and NPT are very much in use even now.

Thanks. In all honesty, when I am working on my cars I only have come across metric thread. Even on my Jaguar every single piece of thread is metric. But it might be one of the first Jaguars that went metric, thread wise. Anything a bit older and you are likely to come across different threads.

you might recall I did some work on my bicycle sometime ago. And there to date the number of different threads, sometimes even on one and the same bicycle can be bewildering. Actually, that was the type of job I could have easily done on this little lathe; Just machine some filler bushings and so. With a decent tolerance.

I have a very simple set of thread cutters, taps and dies. All metric. I have never needed anything else yet.

I am not too concerned, because I do not see myself cutting thread on the lathe very often. And in most cases I expect to use my set of taps and die anyway.

Quote:
It looks like it uses lead as feed. No separate feed.
Correct, it uses the lead as feed.

I am trying to get some more pieces of metal offcuts this week, so I can start practicing. If we ever do get a complete lockdown, I can at least fiddle for many days in my garage!

Jeroen
Old 17th March 2020, 17:24   #512
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Car Hobby: A lot of fiddling, and some driving too! Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123 & Alfa Romeo Sp

Anything less than 6 X1 I prefer to use a die/ chaser than single point.

Does one have 'Friendly neighbourhood machine shop' in the Netherlands?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 17th March 2020, 17:32   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A
Does one have 'Friendly neighbourhood machine shop' in the Netherlands?
Yes, as a matter of fact there are a few. The one that helped out on machining my bicycle part of course. There are several 3-6 man outfits nearby. Usually run by guys quite a bit older than me

But they all seem quite busy. The one I visited earlier does a lot of one offs, specials and some small series production.

So I need to get a bit more friendly with them, for pieces of metal and to get some general tips and tricks.

I have found various Dutch hobby and machinist forums. I still need to track down a friendly member near me, so I can meet f2f. Although the latter is not going to happen anytime soon I guess.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 13:46   #514
Distinguished - BHPian

Early this morning I took the Spider to Goof to see what can be done about this pulling when braking.

First thing we did was to put it the brake testing machine. Four brakes all around are perfect! Which also means I did a good enough job installing the new callipers, rotors, pads etc.

Next back on the lift:

Ed, the mechanic who has worked on my car before checked everything one more time.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2453.jpg

Goos, the owner came out and had a look as well. We were really scratching our heads. Nothing obvious came to light

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2454.jpg

But in the end we did find a problem with the suspension.

The upper push rod seems to have some play on it. So it looks like on the left side the bushing pn 10514.21024.02 is shot!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-spider-front-suspension.jpeg

It needs replacing and we are going to replace the complete rod, rather than just the bushing. It is also going to be an adjustable one, which allows for better alignment. Obviously, I am having it done on both sides!

We also checked the rear suspension. Nothing wrong there. A little play in the so called T-bar. This hold the rear axle in place. There was a tiny bit of play on the it. But that can be easily fixed by replacing the filler/bushing pn 1365.48420

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-spider-tbar.jpeg

I left the Spider with them and they might even get to start work later this afternoon. So I am hoping I will get it back early next week. They gave me a complimentary Alfa Romeo 147 do drive home with! Excellent service.

I am very glad we finally found something and it does explain the braking action.
I could have done this job myself. But in all honesty, I don’t like working on suspension like this without a lift. It also means taking the springs out and that is a job I don’t like doing myself. I don’t have good enough equipement to safely remove the springs. So I am happy to let them do it.

Finally they will also check the little cooling liquid leak.

Yesterday I picked up some parts from my local Bicycle shop. Although they are bicycle parts, they will be put to good use on the Spider. Both the trunk and the bonnet have cable release. And eventually they will snap. Usually on the trunk it is not that big a problem but on the bonnet it is. So I am going to fabricate some emergency/back up releases on both!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2457.jpg

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 20th March 2020 at 13:51.
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 16:04   #515
Distinguished - BHPian

Although here in the Netherlands we are not in lock down, all events are cancelled, cafes, restaurants are closed and many shops are closing down as well, simply because of lack of customers and concern over infection. It all about social distancing!

So a good time to do some work on the garage and fiddle with my cars. Gorgeous day, so I decided to do some spring cleaning.

So I took all the car outs;

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2460.jpg

Everything that was on the floor out to:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2461.jpg

Then a very thorough cleaning of the floor. First brush alway all the dust, next with a mob, and degreaser!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2463.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2469.jpg

Cars back in, without the Spider as it is still with Goof.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2471.jpg

Decided for a same spring cleaning of our little garden shed. The end result:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2473.jpg

For the last couple of weeks I have been helping my daughter and husband to buy a car. Their very first car. They are in their thirties, never needed a car. But now with their first child on the way, they felt they wanted to have a car. Neither of them is particularly interested in cars, they want sufficient space to put the pram and stroller in the back, it needs to be very reliable and cheap to run. So they chose a Toyota Yaris.

Yesterday Brian and I went to see one, a 2016 model, 52.000 km only, and Brian bought it. Today there are bringing it round, so we can do a proper cleaning.

My wife is still abroad and whilst abroad she usually leave her Ford Fiesta with Brian and Ellen. Turns out our daughter had been speeding in it. As I was waiting for them to arrive, the mail arrived with a speeding ticket. So I quickly checked on line. Here in the Netherlands you can see your own “speeding camera photo’s” online.

So here is Speedy Gonzales BeepBeep Ellen, doing 53 km/h in a 50 km/h zone.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2480.jpg

I got all the cleaning kit ready for them:

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2475.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2477.jpg

Next door's cat always thinks it very exiting when I am busy in our yard

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2479.jpg

We hosed down their car with the high pressure washer, washed it with car shampoo, clayed it and waxed it. It had a few small scratched that I managed to polish away, more or less as well. Got the matts out, cleaned them, vacuumed the interior and polished the interior with cockpit spray. Cleaned the windows inside and out

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2487.jpg

All good to go! A very nice little car, they are very pleased with it and I think it will serve them for many years to come. I will have to buy the appropriate workshop manual as I will be doing their maintenance, obviously!

Today, Sunday, another gorgeous day. So I took the W123 out for a nice leisurely drive around the country side.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2491.jpg

Where we live you can not avoid the rivers. The river Waal is pretty high already.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2493.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2495.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2511.jpg

Today I will also give my wife’s Fiesta a good cleaning. Hopefully she will be able to travel home tonight and she will arrive tomorrow afternoon.

Fingers crossed!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 22nd March 2020 at 16:06.
Jeroen is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 22:43   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

At long last I have my Spider back.

With the initial diagnosis at outlined before we thought we would have finally nailed this peculiar braking. Boy, were we wrong.

Ed changed the bushes as agreed, took it to get a full alignment. As you will see, that was desperately needed!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-spider-allignement-result.jpeg

But although the pulling to the right had somewhat improved it was still very much there. So back on the lift. It took two days and Goos, Goof and Ed and me scratching our heads and trying different things.

First we wanted to ensure the rear brakes or rear suspension was not the problem. So we disconnected the rear brakes, added the new bushes into the T-bar as described earlier and also changed out the Diabolo rubber. (Hold the middle of the differential attached to the chassis). Still the exact same pulling to the right.

So we changed the front springs. Because it did nosedive in a bit of an odd way. Still no change. Changed the brake hoses. Brake hoses as they age, sometimes block or the exact opposite, start breaking apart internally. But still no change.

So all the components in the whole suspension and steering set up were checked again. No play anywhere. But then Ed noticed that one of the steering knuckles was a bit odd. Not standard. Also, when on the lift and loading up the suspension we could see the steering bar move. So we started disconnecting more parts of the suspension. We found the left front ball joint and the right steering knuckle were completely seized! Also, with those removed, we noticed play on the slave steering housing. So all of that was replaced, new alignment and now the Spider brakes perfectly.

Remarkably, it always steered very nicely and tight. I remember Goos commenting some time ago after a test drive he had never driven a nicer and better Series 3. The problem with these components seizing up, must have happened over the winter period as the car stood still for almost four months.

With those parts completely frozen, you can not find any play. You can poke around with your tyre lever, but nothing shows.But with the suspension compressing, when braking, it will push the various bits completely out of alignment.

So it took more than a week and I still need to get the invoice. But I am very happy it is finally fixed. Superb diagnostics from Goos, Goof and Ed. Kuddo’s to them!

Leaving your Spider with a commercial garage, does mean it will get dusty and some greasy smear on it. So today I did a proper cleaning job. I was done in less than half an hour. Under that bit of dust and grease the Spider is still smooth as butter from its earlier polish.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p3280057.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p3280058.jpg

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p3280059.jpg

Very happy to have all my cars, back in my garage, all in perfect running condition. (For as long as it lasts!)

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-p3280062.jpg

On to the next little job, emergency/back up release for the Spider bonnet and trunk!

Jeroen

Last edited by ajmat : 29th March 2020 at 14:00. Reason: inserted picture properly
Jeroen is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 18:05   #517
Senior - BHPian

All this fiddling, and you could not find a single use for your (as yet unused i guess) lathe? Pity.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 29th March 2020, 22:34   #518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All this fiddling, and you could not find a single use for your (as yet unused i guess) lathe? Pity.
Yes, this is a problem. As it so happens, all three cars are in pretty good running order at the time. I might have to get myself a proper project car!

Or, I might do as Thad suggested, and start producing machine tooling parts on my lathe and mill, to be used on my, eh, lathe and mill!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 02:28   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Or, I might do as Thad suggested, and start producing machine tooling parts on my lathe and mill, to be used on my, eh, lathe and mill!
iirc, you have already produced an actual replacement part on your mill. That's a great start! But please, if you have the time, undertake a small project on the lathe, even if it is producing a basic tool, or an exercise. We are eagerly waiting!
Old 30th March 2020, 17:44   #520
Senior - BHPian

Was thinking about your lathe, when I suddenly thought I should comment on
Quote:
Thanks. In all honesty, when I am working on my cars I only have come across metric thread. Even on my Jaguar every single piece of thread is metric.
Check out the thread on the seat belt bolts.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 30th March 2020, 19:26   #521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Check out the thread on the seat belt bolts.
Which thread would that be?

I was going through some of the paper work on the Spider. After 25 years of ownership it is two binders full!!I keep all receipts invoices. From parts to maintenance, insurance, MOT everything.

It makes for some interesting reading and it is an important part of the car’s provenance. Similar for the W123 and the Jaguar. But the Spider is the most extensive file. Two large thick folders.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2531.jpg

I came across the letter from Alfa Romeo. Not sure if they still do this service. But you could write to them (well this was mid 90-s) and ask for information on your particular Alfa Romeo. And they would check their files, tell you the manufacturing date and which market the car went to. I managed to trace it in the USA a bit further as well, via the local Alfa club.

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-spider-origin.jpeg

I also ran the VIN though Car Fax and it came up with a clean title and four odometer reading which correspond to the reading it had when it arrived in the Netherlands

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 00:43   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which thread would that be?
Same as the one on the Alfa and the Merc!

Regards
Sutripta
Old 31st March 2020, 15:43   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Same as the one on the Alfa and the Merc!
Sorry you have lost me. But then this is a very long thread!

Speaking about threads, I just came across this little article in the latest issue of Practical Classics. This magazine is all about classic car maintenance and restorations. Real hard core, dirty nails type of stuff.

One of the contributing editors, Sam Glover, bought a Range Rover P38. He describes how he had to, among other things, wrestle with the water pump.

Quote:
The pump, incidentally, is secured by three metric setscrews and three UNC bolts - feature of British Engineering that others might find amusing

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-rover-p38.jpeg

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 16:21   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry you have lost me. But then this is a very long thread!
The part of interest, threads on seatbelt anchor bolts, is only a few posts old.

Open one out, measure the thread. Might be interesting.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 1st April 2020, 17:36   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

I have ordered a few parts and tools for the lathe. They all arrived today by mail/DHL.

I got myself two micrometers. I have one, bought it somewhere in the UK at a flea market years ago. So it is in inches, and I prefer metric!

Also, a Jacobs chuck for the lathe (1.5 13mm), very sizes 9grit) of sanding paper for the final touches on whatever I attempt on my lathe.

Also ordered some round bar. I have a little first (tool) project in mind. Stay tuned for more!

My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One-img_2533.jpg

Thad, I really enjoyed the Blondihack video’s you recommended earlier. She is a very good teacher, her video’s are extremely well thought out.

Had the winter tyres on the company car swapped for summer tyres today at the local Euromaster tyre shop. Our lease company offers this service for free. They claim about 25% less accidents on cars with winter tyres compared to summer tyres. So their business case is simple. Was very happy to get brand new tyres. This is not always the case. They can put old tyres back on, providing they have at least 4 mm thread left or thereabouts. So it is not as if they keep your particular set of winter and summer tyres. They just rotate all these tyres in one big stock. I guess I was lucky to be fitted with brand new ones.

In all honesty, we have not had much of a winter at all. Very mild and no snow and hardly any frost.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed