Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2017, 02:35   #1
BHPian

DIY: Installing OPS (Optical Parking System) in the VW Polo / Vento

Installing OPS (Optical Parking System) in Polo/Vento

VW India offers rear parking sensors with audio feedback in following variants
  • Polo (HL)
  • Vento (TL/CL/HL)
Although this feature is quite useful but lack of camera in the older variants warranted some kind of visual feedback. This function can be supplemented with visual feedback if we have head unit supporting OPS (Optical Parking System).

Some of the common head units supporting OPS are

RNS/RCD 510
DIY: Installing OPS (Optical Parking System) in the VW Polo / Vento-ops-rcd-510.jpg

RCD 310
DIY: Installing OPS (Optical Parking System) in the VW Polo / Vento-ops-rcd310.jpg

RCD330
DIY: Installing OPS (Optical Parking System) in the VW Polo / Vento-ops-rcd-330.jpg

There are two options for installing OPS (Optical Parking System)

4K OPS which would enable audio/visual feedback from 4 rear parking sensors.
DIY: Installing OPS (Optical Parking System) in the VW Polo / Vento-polo-4k-ops.jpg

8K OPS which would enable audio/visual feedback from 4 front and 4 rear parking sensors.
DIY: Installing OPS (Optical Parking System) in the VW Polo / Vento-polo-8k-ops.jpg

Amount of work required to retrofit OPS in your vehicle would depend on following
  • Do you have rear parking sensors in your vehicle?
  • Do you have head unit supporting OPS?
  • Do you have parking module supporting OPS?
  • Do you want to install 4K OPS or 8K OPS?
In older variants of Vento/Polo 4K OPS module was present, hence if they replace existing head unit with RCD 330 they would automatically get OPS display. This has been confirmed by some of the users.

Before we proceed further let’s look at some of the terms we would use

Ques: What is CANBUS?
Ans: The CAN Bus is an automotive bus developed by Robert Bosch, which has quickly gained acceptance into the automotive and aerospace industries. CAN is a serial bus protocol to connect individual systems and sensors as an alternative to conventional multi-wire looms. It allows automotive components to communicate on a single or dual-wire networked data bus up to 1Mbps.

Reference: http://canbuskits.com/what.php

Ques: What is BCM (body control module)?
Ans: In automotive electronics, body control module or 'body computer' is a generic term for an electronic control unit responsible for monitoring and controlling various electronic accessories in a vehicle's body. Typically in a car the BCM controls the power windows, power mirrors, air conditioning, immobilizer system, central locking, etc. The BCM communicates with other on-board computers via the car's vehicle bus, and its main application is controlling load drivers – actuating relays that in turn perform actions in the vehicle such as locking the doors or dimming the salon overhead lamp.

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_control_module

Installing 4K OPS
  1. Install 4 rear parking sensors if not present (Polo CL )
  2. Install head unit supporting OPS if not present (RCD 220/320).
  3. Install/replace OPS capable 4K parking module.
  4. Connect rear parking sensors with OPS module (Black 12 pin connector).
  5. Connect rear warning buzzer with OPS module (Orange 16 pin connector)
  6. Connect CANBUS powertrain High/Low with OPS module (Orange 16 pin connector)
  7. Connect power supply from Fusebox to OPS module (Orange 16 pin connector)
  8. Check settings through VCDS and enable OPS if it’s disabled.

Installing 8K OPS
  1. Complete all steps for installing 4K OPS (except OPS module).
  2. Install 4 parking sensors in front bumper.
  3. Install/replace 8K OPS module.
  4. Connect front parking sensors with OPS module (Orange 12 pin connector)
  5. Install PDC switch in dashboard (next to hazard warning switch).
  6. Connect PDC switch with OPS module (Orange 16 pin connector)
  7. Install front parking buzzer near passenger side dashboard and connect to OPS module (Orange 12 pin connector).

Components required (PQ25 platform)
  1. 4 parking sensors if you have rear parking sensors and want to install 8K OPS, or you want to install4K OPS in Polo which does not have rear sensors.
  2. 8 parking sensors if you want to install 8K OPS in polo which does not have rear parking sensors.
  3. 4K/8K OPS module (PQ25).
  4. PDC switch (please mention car model as Polo 6R, since Polo 6C has different type of switch).
  5. Wiring required for connecting all components.
Here are few pictures of the components used by me

DIY: Installing OPS (Optical Parking System) in the VW Polo / Vento-front-sensors.jpg

DIY: Installing OPS (Optical Parking System) in the VW Polo / Vento-sensors.jpg

DIY: Installing OPS (Optical Parking System) in the VW Polo / Vento-wiring.jpg

Following is the original parking aid module in my car, this only provides audio feedback

DIY: Installing OPS (Optical Parking System) in the VW Polo / Vento-parking-module-original.jpg

Options to purchase components/kit

It would be easier to purchase complete kit instead of individual components. Both 4K and 8K OPS kits are available on Aliexpress and other websites. I am posting few examples but please feel free to search for same product on all sites to identify best price.

OEM Rear OPS 4K Park Pilot 4 Parking Sensors Kit For VW New Polo 6R PQ25 6R0 919 475
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OEM-...208.8.5.WyHsS3

OEM PQ25 8K OPS Parking Sensor System PDC 8 Sensors for VW New Jetta 1.6T New Beetle
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VW-N...208.8.4.zE7Vd1

Installation steps

Installing/replacing OPS module:

Vento: OPS module is located on the left side within boot. Remove luggage lock carrier trim and then remove clips holding the cladding on the left hand side. Install/replace OPS module.

Name:  VentoLuggage1.png
Views: 57045
Size:  218.1 KB
Name:  VentoLuggage2.png
Views: 56222
Size:  65.2 KB
Name:  VentoLuggage3.png
Views: 56128
Size:  66.0 KB
Name:  VentoLuggage4.png
Views: 55946
Size:  53.1 KB

Polo: I don’t have access to polo hence I am posting reference from online workshop manual. According to manual its located on the right had side luggage compartment.

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswag...trol_unitj446/

Name:  PoloLuggage1.png
Views: 55620
Size:  110.0 KB
Name:  PoloLuggage2.png
Views: 56535
Size:  50.7 KB

Installing rear parking sensors:

Installing rear sensors requires removal of rear bumper , steps would be slightly different for Polo/Vento.

Installing front parking sensors:

This requires removal of front bumper and installation of sensors and has been covered in detail by Gannu over here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3917698

Wiring from front sensors has to be routed from engine compartment to passenger cabin.. We can route this wiring from the following plug in case of automatic transmission.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ewall-plug.jpg

We need to use following option for manual transmission cars
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...l-img_2765.png
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...l-img_9864.jpg

This wire then needs to be routed to OPS module installed in luggage compartment.

Installing rear/front buzzer

Rear parking buzzer is installed near OPS module and front buzzer can be installed on the passenger side behind glove compartment.
You will have to remove lower B pillar trim and passenger side trim to route all wires from front to the luggage compartment.
Name:  PassengerSideTrim1.png
Views: 55556
Size:  153.3 KB

Important points about painting parking sensors
To avoid malfunctions in the parking aid sensor, always observe the following when painting:

Painting new parts
  • Maximum layer thickness 125 µm; a measurement of layer depth is absolutely essential following application of the paint
  • Maximum hardening temperature 1 hour at 90°C
Painting used parts
  • Remove old finish (sand) only as far as the primer
  • Minimum layer depth of 5-10 µm must remain.
  • Maximum layer thickness 125 µm; a measurement of layer depth is absolutely essential following application of the paint
  • Maximum hardening temperature 1 hour at 90°C

Installing PDC switch

PDC switch to enable/disable OPS(only required with 8K) is installed in the dash panel. Following is the process to install this.

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswag...of_dash_panel/

Name:  PDC Switch.png
Views: 55245
Size:  104.9 KB

Wiring

There are 3 connectors in OPS module.

16 pin orange connector RIGHT
12 pin orange connector (front sensors) CENTER
12 pin black connector (rear sensors) RIGHT

Name:  ParkingAidOverview.png
Views: 55565
Size:  37.2 KB

Pin assignment for T16 connector (orange)

T16/1 SB16b (Fuse Holder)
T16/2 Rear Buzzer T2/2
T16/3
T16/4 PDC Switch (on/off) T6a/5
T16/5
T16/6 (Can High) T73b/19 orange/black , T32/28
T16/7
T16/8 Ground
T16/9
T16/10 Rear Buzzer T2/1
T16/11
T16/12
T16/13 PDC Switch Backlight T6a/2
T16/14
T16/15 (Can Low) T73b/18 orange/brown , T32/29
T16/16

Note: You can connect to CANBUS powertrain using blue connector for instrument cluster (T32) instead of BCM (T73b).

Name:  instrumentClusterT32.png
Views: 54887
Size:  119.8 KB
DIY: Installing OPS (Optical Parking System) in the VW Polo / Vento-canbus-ic-connector.jpg

I have tried to include as much detail as possible in this guide and I hope this is useful for other members planing similar retrofit.

Regards.

Last edited by GTO : 4th July 2017 at 11:58. Reason: Moved your post from the other thread to this one :)
antardaksh is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 11:57   #2
BHPian

1. Installed 8K OPS module. If you replace existing module in car with 8K module even the audio warning will stop working. It will only work when all the sensors are connected.

2. Connected wire from BCM (CANBUS powertrain high/low) to OPS module.

3. Installed sensors in front bumper. This is the most tedious part since you need to remove bumper, drill hole and stick sensors.

4. Route wiring from Front bumper to OPS module.

5. Install PDC switch and route wiring.

6. Connect everything to OPS module (12 and 16 pin connector).

I had already enabled this in VCDS so I did not have to do this step again.

I will post all details soon , here are some pictures from the install.

DIY: Installing OPS (Optical Parking System) in the VW Polo / Vento-frontbumperwith-sensors.jpg

DIY: Installing OPS (Optical Parking System) in the VW Polo / Vento-frontsensors10.jpg

DIY: Installing OPS (Optical Parking System) in the VW Polo / Vento-ops-module-8k.jpg

DIY: Installing OPS (Optical Parking System) in the VW Polo / Vento-pdc3.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	PDC3.jpg
Views:	1918
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	1650509

DIY: Installing OPS (Optical Parking System) in the VW Polo / Vento-pdc10.jpg

I also captured video while testing sensors. If you listen carefully , there is significant difference in pitch of sound from front and rear buzzers. Its easy to distinguish sound coming from front/rear sensors.

I would like to thanks Gannu, graaja and friends from Russian forum who helped with this install.

Regards.

Last edited by GTO : 4th July 2017 at 11:58. Reason: Moved your post from the other thread to this one :)
antardaksh is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 17:11   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY: Installing OPS (Optical Parking System) in the VW Polo / Vento

Nice work antardaksh and thank you for sharing. I was fortunate enough to buy the Vento when it supported OPS. So just replacing the HU with the Philadelphia 835 did the trick for me.

Excellent feature to have and extremely accurate. I rarely use the reverse camera due to the presence of OPS.

It is a pity that VW removed support for that, but now thanks to your detailed thread , atleast there is a way to get it enabled.

Edit: Adding a picture on how it would appear with the Philadelphia 835 HU

DIY: Installing OPS (Optical Parking System) in the VW Polo / Vento-img_20131213_172505.jpg

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 4th July 2017 at 17:16.
Rajeevraj is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 22:45   #4
Team-BHP Support

Nicely done Antardaksh!

I am guessing the front bumper had the slots for the parking sensors marked from the factory? The newer Polo 6C bumper had them which further pushed me from getting these installed. The front sensors come in handy during tight parking situations. My case was a bit simpler since I didn't have to wire the CAN high and CAN low cables to the OPS unit as they were pre-wired from the factory (2013 production cars were).

This is the wiring diagram I had used:

DIY: Installing OPS (Optical Parking System) in the VW Polo / Vento-schemat-pdc.jpg

How/where did you connect the PDC switch's backlighting to? I tapped it from the auto-headlights unit so didn't mess with any of the stock cables. Usually people tap it from the hazard blinker switch (or anything that turns on when the light switch is toggled).

Have you figured out a way to change the model of the car on the OPS display? It could be through the Park Assist module or the Radio in VCDS. Do try.

Man, these Russian guys are a crazy bunch! Plus, they share all this data openly on the blogs so everything's available freely and they respond to doubts despite the language barrier. Hat tip to these folks!

PS: The blacked out front grill looks smart!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th July 2017 at 22:47.
Gannu_1 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 23:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I am guessing the front bumper had the slots for the parking sensors marked from the factory?

How/where did you connect the PDC switch's backlighting to?

Have you figured out a way to change the model of the car on the OPS display? It could be through the Park Assist module or the Radio in VCDS. Do try.

Man, these Russian guys are a crazy bunch!
Hi Gannu,

Thanks, I used your thread as a reference.

Unfortunately slots for parking sensors are not marked in front bumper for Vento. Russian version of the same car does offer 8K OPS as an option.

I used backlight input from the rear window defroster switch. We should not take input from hazard warning switch since it has independent wiring from BCM.

I haven't changed OPS display picture but I believe we can change this from byte 6 in 56 Radio long coding.

Indeed I also got lot of help from Russian friends.

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 09:38   #6
Team-BHP Support

Awesome installation with superb details Antardaksh

I have wanted to install at least a 4K OPS, but have been procrastinating on that. Your thread now is a good reference for me to go ahead with that installation.

Congratulations once again for the successful install. Now looking forward to that BCM upgrade
Old 8th July 2017, 12:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Nice work antardaksh and thank you for sharing. I was fortunate enough to buy the Vento when it supported OPS. So just replacing the HU with the Philadelphia 835 did the trick for me.
I've the 835 in my CL Vento DSG AT (2014). But I don't get the display. Might have something to do with the connector as @Gannu had confirmed that my car had come with HighLine BCM.

Would love to get this activated - any guide would be of great help in case there is one.
Old 8th July 2017, 18:52   #8
BHPian

Hello,
Can someone please guide if it is possible to install OPS in Rapid Ambition 2011.
Old 10th July 2017, 00:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeen View Post
Would love to get this activated - any guide would be of great help in case there is one.
Hi rejeen,

I would suggest you check existing parking module in the boot of you car. To do this you need to remove a screw from the boot trim and few clips holding the lining on left side of boot. Part number would help you distinguish whether the module only supports audio or OPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitendraK78 View Post
Hello,
Can someone please guide if it is possible to install OPS in Rapid Ambition 2011.
Hi JitendraK78,

I believe Skoda Rapid comes with three sensors in the rear bumper. I am not sure if there is any module that supports three sensors. One user in the Russian forum installed two more sensors and then connected 4K OPS module.

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 13:12   #10
BHPian

Hi,

I managed to change display picture for OPS

DIY: Installing OPS (Optical Parking System) in the VW Polo / Vento-opsdisplayvento1.jpg

You can do this by changing value of Byte 6 in Radio.

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 16:39   #11
BHPian

Is it possible to have both OPS and Camera?
Old 16th August 2017, 20:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi rejeen,

I would suggest you check existing parking module in the boot of you car. To do this you need to remove a screw from the boot trim and few clips holding the lining on left side of boot. Part number would help you distinguish whether the module only supports audio or OPS.

Hi JitendraK78,

I believe Skoda Rapid comes with three sensors in the rear bumper. I am not sure if there is any module that supports three sensors. One user in the Russian forum installed two more sensors and then connected 4K OPS module.

Regards.

Thanks for the reply. My car does not have sensors in rear bumper. I believe the entire setup needs to be installed. Some days back, I was checking possibility of installing OE music system but the technician at the dealer told that it is not compatible with my car since it is not having CAN. 🤔
Old 18th August 2017, 17:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitendraK78 View Post
Thanks for the reply. My car does not have sensors in rear bumper. I believe the entire setup needs to be installed. Some days back, I was checking possibility of installing OE music system but the technician at the dealer told that it is not compatible with my car since it is not having CAN. 🤔
Every vehicle has CAN. If CAN cables are not available in oe wire loom you can tap them from the instrument cluster as mentioned by Antardaksh or directly from bcm. Once you have that you can install the music system.

The process of tapping the can cables is very well explained in RCD 510 install thread.
Old 19th August 2017, 00:19   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
Is it possible to have both OPS and Camera?
Hi,

Yes both can be installed. When you engage reverse gear camera will be activated by default. You can manually switch from camera to OPS display. When you enable OPS through switch then OPS is enabled by default.

I am looking for way to install front camera but I haven't come across any option to integrate both front and reverse camera in RCD330.

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2018, 15:17   #15
BHPian

Great work there! I am also planning to change my GT TSI to OPS 4K system with display on RCD340g.

Most Viewed