Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2017, 20:45   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY: Adding "variable intermittent wipers" to the Celerio & other Marutis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
I would like to ask audioholic and other senior DIY'rs whether this mod can be done for Wagon R too?
Like I have mentioned above, you can use the SX4 combination switch if you have a wagonR LXi. If you have the VXi, you will either have to buy the S-Cross combination switch or will lose the functionality of the rear wiper if you use the SX4 combination switch. But the rest remains the same.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 23:19   #17
BHPian

This is an awesome and a very useful Mod/DIY, I wish I could do something like this in My Punto, unfortunately I don't think any Fiat variant (Ideally Linea) comes with the intermittent function.

I wonder if the Auto Headlamp / Wiper and Cruise control from the Linea can be retrofitted in the Punto
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 14:41   #18
BHPian

Very interesting DIY!
It's always bugged me that our Honda City and Jazz don't have it, yet our polo does. Always thought why doesn't Honda provide this feature. Would it be possible to do something similar in Honda cars?
Old 2nd August 2017, 08:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Maybe I'm asking for too much here, but can this be done on my 2008 Alto Lx?
Old 2nd August 2017, 09:32   #20
BHPian

Wow a very useful DIY. My new Baleno Delta does not have this functionality so now I will seriously think of picking up the stalk from Baleno Alpha and putting it in my car.
One question though- Baleno Alpha also comes with auto wipers (I guess so but even if it doesn't, let's assume for a while), so what will happen if I move the stalk to auto position? What should happen rather?
Old 2nd August 2017, 10:11   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetakhouri View Post
Wow a very useful DIY. My new Baleno Delta does not have this functionality so now I will seriously think of picking up the stalk from Baleno Alpha and putting it in my car.
One question though- Baleno Alpha also comes with auto wipers (I guess so but even if it doesn't, let's assume for a while), so what will happen if I move the stalk to auto position? What should happen rather?
Sorry to dampen spirits, but this is not going to work. It would have worked if the Zeta had variable INT wipers. But it looks like the Baleno comes neither with variable NOR Automatic wipers, which is strange since it comes with auto headlamps. Hence, I doubt any upgrade can be possible for the Baleno/

If you switch it to the Auto position(lets assume the top end baleno got this) since the Rain sensor is not present, it would not send any information to the stalk. Either it will throw a BCM error or just simply not work.
Old 2nd August 2017, 14:07   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Sorry to dampen spirits, but this is not going to work. It would have worked if the Zeta had variable INT wipers. But it looks like the Baleno comes neither with variable NOR Automatic wipers, which is strange since it comes with auto headlamps. Hence, I doubt any upgrade can be possible for the Baleno/

If you switch it to the Auto position(lets assume the top end baleno got this) since the Rain sensor is not present, it would not send any information to the stalk. Either it will throw a BCM error or just simply not work.
Hi Audioholic, Baleno from Delta variant onwards has rear wiper. I just checked our Baleno official review page wherein I can see that the wiper stalk is similar to the one in Celerio Zxi.

So, does that mean this swap can be done in a Baleno too?
Old 2nd August 2017, 14:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Planning to do this on my Celerio Vxi. I was wondering if I could also add a rear wiper to the car. Has anyone tried it out?
Old 3rd August 2017, 09:19   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Maybe I'm asking for too much here, but can this be done on my 2008 Alto Lx?
Mostly yes, but since the car is as old as 2008 I am not sure if the mounting and the wiring scheme would be the same. Maybe you can remove the steering column cover and check the wiring. If you send a picture of the connector I can cross check if it is similar to my SX4 and you could swap the combination switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
So, does that mean this swap can be done in a Baleno too?
The baleno has a different looking stalk and is not similar to the other cars. Hence, this cannot be done in the baleno, unless you do not mind the difference in the looks of the right and left switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Planning to do this on my Celerio Vxi. I was wondering if I could also add a rear wiper to the car. Has anyone tried it out?
It will involve too much work with respect to wiring and stuff. Also, the rear hatch of the VXi might not have he mounting point for the wiper motor. Hence, I am not sure if you can be able to get the wipers installed in a clean manner.
Old 8th August 2017, 14:07   #25
BHPian

excellent and very useful DIY.

Can anyone confirm if this is the part :

https://autoportal.com/spare-parts/c...65/?pin=462023
Old 8th August 2017, 14:10   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_driver View Post

Part number on the URL you posted matches to the one audioholic has mentioned here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
S-Cross(Part 37310M74L40)
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 18:41   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_driver View Post

Adding to what Parag said, though the part number is the same, this is a rare part and many shopkeepers are of the assumption that this one and 37310M74L00 are the same, while in reality they are not. Hence, make sure if the portal is ready to take back the product in case they have sent the wrong part. 74L00 is widely available whereas 74L40 is rare. Their timeline of 15 day delivery can also be met by the MGP dealer and also cost you 100 rupees lesser.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 20:48   #28
BHPian

Hello everyone.

Just got hold of S-Cross wiper stalk (Part 37310M74L40) today . Will do the swap tomorrow on my Wagon R Vxi. Keeping my fingers crossed since it will be my first ever DIY on my car.

Will update on the results of the swap after it is done.

Regards.
dpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 17:14   #29
BHPian

Hi everyone.

I tried to do the swap yesterday but could not proceed after just opening two screws. This might seem like a total noob question, but i could not locate the screw on the lower side to open the steering column shroud. I had opened the two screws on behind the steering wheel but the covers seemed to be held quite firmly even then. I didn't have the guts to pry open the cover with a screw driver in fear of breaking it.

So I would like to ask for guidance to open the steering cloumn shroud to complete the swap. Also can anyone please tell me whether there is a screw on the lower side below the steering wheel to open the shroud. Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards
Debasish.
Old 25th September 2017, 19:20   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post

So I would like to ask for guidance to open the steering cloumn shroud to complete the swap. Also can anyone please tell me whether there is a screw on the lower side below the steering wheel to open the shroud. Any help will be much appreciated.
Normally there should be a third screw to hold the lower trim in place. However I am not sure how it is in the WagonR. If the panel is held by locks then try pulling it down from the edges gently. The locks will release one by one and if at all there is a screw you can get to know where it is holding back. Since it is a plastic part, as long as you aren't very harsh with it it wont get damaged and can flex slightly. But dont try to apply too much force to remove it else the retaining clips of the locks will get damaged. A slight push and pull along the edges will do the job.

Most Viewed