Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2017, 19:41   #1
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Honda Brio DIY: Driver's Armrest with felt-lined storage compartment

A long drive from Bangalore to Pune (11 to 12 hours) and back was on the anvil in August, a round trip of 1800 kms and hence I decided to install a driver's armrest in the Honda Brio that would aid comfort on the drive. After reading of posts on this forum of successful installs of the generic armrest available online on cars ranging from the Ertiga to Swift, I decided to take the plunge and install one on the Brio. Deliberated between the black and beige one and finally chose the beige since it would gel with the beige seat covers and interior.

Things Needed
  1. Armrest - there are generic ones available online but I chose the one from the brand Speedwav available on Amazon for INR 1199
  2. Black Polyester felt sheet - available in any craft store. I picked up a few from Itsy Bitsy for INR 40 per piece. You will need three to four sheets
  3. 9.5/10 mm flat drill bit
  4. Bosch drill
  5. Fevibond- 40ml tube
  6. Expired loyalty/credit card - to spread the glue evenly
  7. 1 inch steel nuts & bolts - 8 nos
  8. Steel washers - 16 nos
  9. 12/13 mm ring spanners

Approach
The entire process is simple and takes about 2-3 hours, if you keep all the materials handy. I chose to put the felt lining inside the storage compartment to give a nice feel and ensure no jingle-jangle or clanking from coins and other things stored inside. I did a DIY and felt-lined the glove box of the Brio a few years ago, so this was as easy process.

First, assemble the armrest by fixing the base to the armrest module
Honda Brio DIY: Driver's Armrest with felt-lined storage compartment-00.jpg
Then stick some felt lining or speaker carpet covering on both sides of the plastic base to ensure a squeak-free fit.

Stick smaller pieces to the base of the armrest fitting which will be attached to the car's center console. Again, this will ensure a snug fit and not allow for squeaks.
Honda Brio DIY: Driver's Armrest with felt-lined storage compartment-01.jpg
  • Unscrew the gear knob
  • Gently ease out the USB media connector
  • Gently unplug the +ve and -ve connector from the power socket
Unscrew the plastic screws on the LHS and RHS of the center console located in front near the foot-well
Honda Brio DIY: Driver's Armrest with felt-lined storage compartment-01a.jpg

Unscrew the one screw in the cup holder for the rear passenger. The entire center console will lift out. Please exercise patience in this step to ensure none of the plastic grommets are broken. The entire process is a little fiddly.

Fit the base of the armrest that needs join the center console to the armrest and mark some holes with a white crayon. Align the armrest to ensure that it is flat and straight before you drill any holes. The difficult part is that the center console of the Brio is not flat and has a swoopy design - so it is all the more important to ensure that you get the markings correct the first time before drilling.

Drill the necessary holes and mount the armrest for a test fit
Honda Brio DIY: Driver's Armrest with felt-lined storage compartment-02.jpg
Ensure that you use the steel washers to ensure the nuts and bolts have a tight. Apologies on the grainy photo, my arm shook.

View from top
Honda Brio DIY: Driver's Armrest with felt-lined storage compartment-03.jpg

Cut a template of the insides of the armrest in paper and then cut out the pieces of felt to match the template
Honda Brio DIY: Driver's Armrest with felt-lined storage compartment-05.jpg

Squeeze the Fevibond liberally and spread it evenly with an expired loyalty/credit card.
Honda Brio DIY: Driver's Armrest with felt-lined storage compartment-06.jpg
IMPORTANT: First stick the sides and then the base for a nice seamless fit.

Stick the last piece on the bottom and gently move your hand around all over pressing to ensure that all gaps/edges are smooth for a perfect fit.
Fit the center console back in the car and connect all the necessary parts. Once you are satisfied that everything is okay, use a 13 mm spanner to tighten all the nuts and bolts.

View from the rear seat
Honda Brio DIY: Driver's Armrest with felt-lined storage compartment-07.jpg

Frontal view
Honda Brio DIY: Driver's Armrest with felt-lined storage compartment-08.jpg

Side view
Honda Brio DIY: Driver's Armrest with felt-lined storage compartment-09.jpg

Top view after final fit
Honda Brio DIY: Driver's Armrest with felt-lined storage compartment-010.jpg

Conclusion
  • The fit was perfect and the comfort on a long drive is excellent. No more fatigue of the left arm as it can rest on this armrest.
  • The built-in storage compartment is handy to store loose change and toll receipts. The armrest can be folded away when the car is being driven in the city.
  • There is a nice gap between the seats - the armrest fits perfectly and does not foul with the fore/aft movement of the seats or the seat belts.
  • I had to gently file off a little plastic from the base of the armrest near the area where the handbrake is to ensure the handbrake operation is smooth and doesn't interfere with the base.
  • Using the handbrake is the almost the same, if you are uncomfortable, you can always flip the armrest up and then engage the handbrake when parking.

The links to everything are listed so it should be easy for anyone wanting to do the same in their Brio.

Last edited by gpa : 1st September 2017 at 19:52.
gpa is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 12:58   #2
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio DIY: Driver's Armrest with felt-lined storage compartment

I had put this in my manza few years back its good and works flawlessly for the purpose but its not durable little hard press on arm rest broke the arm rest after couple of months.
Anuruddhs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 13:40   #3
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuruddhs View Post
But its not durable little hard press on arm rest broke the arm rest after couple of months.
Thank you, for this feedback. I will keep an eye to ensure that no untoward pressure is applied. Also, when I'm driving primarily in the city, I fold-up the armrest and it is safely tucked between the seats.
Old 4th September 2017, 14:12   #4
BHPian

The new Honda Amaze has a arm rest option. Maybe this could give an OEM like fit that is cleaner.
Old 4th September 2017, 14:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

You have also an OEM arm rest accessory available for Brio. Its in black though.
Thanks for the DIY thread GPA!
Old 4th September 2017, 15:38   #6
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for a great DIY. Nicely written out as well.

Overall looks like a great mod for 2-3 hours of work. The armrest looks good and I'm guessing can even hold a 500 ml bottle. A city friendly mod for sure.

A few questions did pop up in my mind as I was going through the DIY.
1. Is the armrest adjustable for fore and aft movement? The product Amazon link shows a box with shows the armrest in the front position. (reference image)
2. How much has the rear cubbyhole been covered by the armrest? Can it still fit a bottle perhaps? (reference image)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Using the handbrake is the almost the same, if you are uncomfortable, you can always flip the armrest up and then engage the handbrake when parking.
Is there a hinge at the bottom over which you can flip the armrest?
Omkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 16:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Excellent DIY.

A couple of questions though,
1. How much load do you think can this Arm rest take? I ask this because my 3 year old kid regularly moves from the front seat to the Back seat by stepping on the central hand brake area.

2. Is it possible to cover the exposed screws and bolts?
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 18:31   #8
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
The armrest looks good and I'm guessing can even hold a 500 ml bottle.
Yes, a small 500 ml bottle will easily fit in.

Quote:
Is the armrest adjustable for fore and aft movement?
Yes, the top portion of the armrest has some fore-aft movement, making it easy to find a comfortable driving position.

Quote:
How much has the rear cubbyhole been covered by the armrest? Can it still fit a bottle perhaps?
Yes, a slim profile bottle will fit in, the space has not been rendered completely unusable and can still store a wallet or a phone.

Quote:
Is there a hinge at the bottom over which you can flip the armrest?
The armrest has a built-in hinge which can swivel and flip the top portion of the armrest.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 13:56   #9
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
How much load do you think can this Arm rest take?
I'm not sure of the absolute load this can take. Two elbows (driver & front passenger) resting comfortably is okay, don't think it can take the weight ofa 3 year old stepping on it over and over and it might break.

Quote:
Is it possible to cover the exposed screws and bolts?
Yes, this is something I intend to do. I can use a piece of the left over felt to stick a piece and cover the exposed nuts.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 21:44   #10
BHPian

Thanks for the quick armrest DIY. The pictures help a lot.
ameet_pv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 21:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much load do you think can this Arm rest take? I ask this because my 3 year old kid regularly moves from the front seat to the Back seat by stepping on the central hand brake area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
...don't think it can take the weight ofa 3 year old stepping on it over and over and it might break.
I have a black one installed in my Alto and I can say from experience that it is very sturdy. My son is 5 now and he's been going back and forth over it since he was 3 - its held up pretty well so far. The plastic around the bolts might experience wear and tear but this thing will be fine. It's a simple solid design.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 13:17   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
You have also an OEM arm rest accessory available for Brio. Its in black though.
Thanks for the DIY thread GPA!
Hi starter, Could you share any link where I can get the OEM hand rest and also if you have any knowledge where can I get Honda Brio OEM Alloy wheels. Thanks budy
Old 19th November 2020, 14:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajj Sharma View Post
Hi starter, Could you share any link where I can get the OEM hand rest and also if you have any knowledge where can I get Honda Brio OEM Alloy wheels. Thanks budy
You should be able to order the alloy wheels from boodmo or any authorised service center.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-42700tg2t92-33316987/

The arm rest was an accessory that was being sold by honda dealers.
They were available only in black color.
Try reaching out to honda dealers in your city and they might have it.

Cheers
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 12:45   #14
BANNED

GPA,
Spinning up a long quoted and previous post
I got this done yesterday an accessory showroom in Mysore.
I also got a universal armrest from Amazon India for my brio v(mt)

The only issue I find is the fact that it interferes with frequent gear changing in the City limits.
Is this strictly for long drives on the national highway only? Do advise

Last edited by Rama Kumara : 28th March 2021 at 12:48.
Old 4th May 2021, 16:23   #15
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama Kumara View Post
GPA,
Spinning up a long quoted and previous post. Is this strictly for long drives on the national highway only? Do advise
It could be the way it has been setup. I measured the distance needed by having someone hold it in position before drilling any holes and shifted gears like I would normally to ensure there's no interference. However, I agree, it is best suited for long highway drives.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks