Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2017, 23:06   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY: S-Cross Headlight Upgrade to Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Bi-Xenons

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
XP bi-led is nothing but an LED bulb placed in the existing HID projector.
As per their website they have overhauled / improved / revised XP Micro to XP Micro V2 which has LED bulb now. I know a customer who got that new projector recently and it's the same IPHCAR. I wonder how XP is selling HID projector with LED bulb

There is one more BI-LED projector in their website. It is not a fog projector.

Quote:
Don't expect some great path breaking R&D done by XP.
We both have experienced that enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
I saw Naren’s post and the output is pretty impressive with HID setup. If it’s at par with what you guys have now, I’m happy
The output is good. There is good improvement in low beam. High beam is not practical as it lights up only trees and not the road. Me and Anurag are saying that the same projector is available at 50 percent of the price in Ali express.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 17th October 2017 at 23:10.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 12:04   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
The output is good. There is good improvement in low beam. High beam is not practical as it lights up only trees and not the road. Me and Anurag are saying that the same projector is available at 50 percent of the price in Ali express.
Yup, I've my first preference to projectors listed and suggested by a4anurag from Aliexpress. I won't be going in for XP as of now yet. Waiting on Retro to respond.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 18:13   #48
BHPian

Instead of the whole setup, is it possible to just upgrade the bulb + ballast + wiring?
Old 10th November 2017, 18:18   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
Instead of the whole setup, is it possible to just upgrade the bulb + ballast + wiring?
You can try Morimoto D5S bulb 35W. This is the only plug and play option available for S-Cross Alpha. It is pretty expensive, but the easiest upgrade. Expect around 40 percent more light.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bu...to-xb-hid.html
Old 10th November 2017, 18:28   #50
BHPian

Quote:
You can try Morimoto D5S bulb 35W. This is the only plug and play option available for S-Cross Alpha. It is pretty expensive, but the easiest upgrade. Expect around 40 percent more light.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bu...to-xb-hid.html
Thanks. But 35W also seems a bit low. Was looking for something like 55W or so.

EDIT:
Also, the 35W is a plug and play on the existing ballast and wiring?

Can i go in for a 55W setup on the bulbs + wiring + ballast on the same projectors?

Last edited by benzinblut : 10th November 2017 at 18:30. Reason: See EDIT
Old 10th November 2017, 18:33   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. But 35W also seems a bit low. Was looking for something like 55W or so.
I don't think the stock projector can handle 55W. Expect burnt reflector bowl in projector with 55W setup within few months . The options are very limited when it comes to S-Cross headlight upgrade. You need to open up the headlight and retrofit a good quality projector like Morimoto. This can handle 55W.

Morimoto D5S 35W bulb is plug and play. There is no need of any additional wiring.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 10th November 2017 at 18:34.
Old 10th November 2017, 19:38   #52
Senior - BHPian

Morimoto India do not have an estimate as to when the BI LED projectors going to light up the Indian roads. The wait is now extended. If my patience runs thin, I’ll settle down with Xenon Planet
Old 13th November 2017, 16:22   #53
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think the stock projector can handle 55W. Expect burnt reflector bowl in projector with 55W setup within few months . The options are very limited when it comes to S-Cross headlight upgrade. You need to open up the headlight and retrofit a good quality projector like Morimoto. This can handle 55W.

Morimoto D5S 35W bulb is plug and play. There is no need of any additional wiring.

Sudeep's DIY is upgrading to a 55W setup. If the stock reflector can handle that, why would there be a burnout with the existing projectors with 55W bulbs and ballasts?
Old 13th November 2017, 16:26   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sudeep's DIY is upgrading to a 55W setup. If the stock reflector can handle that, why would there be a burnout with the existing projectors with 55W bulbs and ballasts?
I guess you are confused. Sudeep has changed the projector itself. I am talking about the reflector bowl present inside the projector. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 can handle 55W as in Sudeep's case. The stock S-Cross Alpha projectors are not that sturdy and it won't be able to handle the heat produced by 55W ballasts. Hope it's clear
Old 13th November 2017, 16:43   #55
BHPian

Quote:
... I am talking about the reflector bowl present inside the projector....
Aaaah! I mistook this to be the reflector bowl as in a part of the head lamp.

All clear for now. Will post more queries as my hunt progresses.
Old 31st January 2018, 11:19   #56
BHPian

Update

In the beginning post for this DIY, I had mentioned how I had to make a 11 millimeter hole in the back cover of the headlight to pass the D2S Bulb connector wire. I had added a sleeve to absorb the vibrations and make it water tight but it wasn't going to last for a long time. It was in my mind for a while and even though no water ingress occurred with washing, I wanted to make it as secure as possible. My friend Vasi Khan suggested I use flexible cable glands as it makes it easier to remove the wires when replacing bulbs and it also provides IP64 level water protection. I had a chance to complete that and here are the results

DIY: S-Cross Headlight Upgrade to Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Bi-Xenons-gland1.jpg DIY: S-Cross Headlight Upgrade to Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Bi-Xenons-gland2.jpgDIY: S-Cross Headlight Upgrade to Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Bi-Xenons-gland3.jpg

While at it, I also applied heat shrink to the Morimoto H4 connection to make it more secure and water safe. H4 connectors are not as good as other water proof connectors since they do not have weather seals

DIY: S-Cross Headlight Upgrade to Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Bi-Xenons-h4heat-shrink.jpg

The projectors are holding up very well so far with absolutely no issues. I have done many long drives with continuous running as well. I am also running XP Micros for the fogs and together, they are an absolute delight on the highways (Of course I always use low beams and is very careful where I use a high beam)

Some pictures as of yesterday

From Inside Cabin

DIY: S-Cross Headlight Upgrade to Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Bi-Xenons-cabinview1.jpgDIY: S-Cross Headlight Upgrade to Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Bi-Xenons-cabinview2.jpg

From Outside (high & low)
DIY: S-Cross Headlight Upgrade to Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Bi-Xenons-outsideview1.jpgDIY: S-Cross Headlight Upgrade to Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Bi-Xenons-outsideview2.jpg

With XP Micro Fogs (high & low)

DIY: S-Cross Headlight Upgrade to Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Bi-Xenons-withxpshigh.jpg
DIY: S-Cross Headlight Upgrade to Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Bi-Xenons-withxpslow.jpg

Last edited by sudeepg : 31st January 2018 at 11:28.
sudeepg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 15:12   #57
BHPian

Quote:
S-Cross Alpha : Plug & Play Bulb Upgrade

We all know that many S-Cross Alpha owners are not satisfied with the output from stock projector setup. Morimoto has come up with plug and play HID bulb upgrade. This is direct fit and in this case, there was 89 percent more output in lumens . This is quite expensive (350 USD), but the easiest and safest upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Update

In the beginning post for this DIY, I had mentioned how I had to make a 11 millimeter hole in the back cover of the headlight to pass the D2S Bulb connector wire. I had added a sleeve to absorb the vibrations and make it water tight but it wasn't going to last for a long time. It was in my mind for a while and even though no water ingress occurred with washing, I wanted to make it as secure as possible. My friend Vasi Khan suggested I use flexible cable glands as it makes it easier to remove the wires when replacing bulbs and it also provides IP64 level water protection. I had a chance to complete that and here are the results
@Sudeep G - I want to know regarding the performance and any problems which cropped up (if any) in the Morimoto Projectors installed by you in a (Superb would be an understatement) DIY.

Since your installation, morimoto has released plug and play 35W model as well which you had updated in the thread as well. Second part of my query is regarding my concern wrt Changing the projectors v/s the plug and play module. I contacted Retro Rides vendor and he said that there is already a thread on TBHP and he can also provide installation services. As per him the 35W HID bulb is not worth the money (Cost of 3X,000/- for HID upgrade (installation separate) v/s 2X,000/- of mini D2S including installation).
As i will be spending in excess of 20K for lighting upgrade, difference of 7000 bucks does not sound much if it provides peace of mind however as per retro rides the output difference will be not much between 35W and existing 25W projectors in contrast to Dr. Naren's post in main S-cross thread. Since i am not into DIY and neither i have resources in my current location for the same, i request your opinion and advise in the matter.
Old 9th May 2018, 17:08   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
@Sudeep G - I want to know regarding the performance and any problems which cropped up (if any) in the Morimoto Projectors installed by you in a (Superb would be an understatement) DIY.
I have no problems at all so far. It's running extremely well without any issues.

Quote:
As i will be spending in excess of 20K for lighting upgrade, difference of 7000 bucks does not sound much if it provides peace of mind however as per retro rides the output difference will be not much between 35W and existing 25W projectors in contrast to Dr. Naren's post in main S-cross thread. Since i am not into DIY and neither i have resources in my current location for the same, i request your opinion and advise in the matter.
I don't know about the D5S 35W Morimoto bulb myself. But in theory, it should be better than the 25W D5S setup. What I found as the most limiting factor in the stock projector is the projector design itself. It caps the light output a lot. So I was very happy to change the projector itself. Just so you know, the same 25W D5S setup is used in the Jeep compass and it's far-far better than in the S-Cross. The only difference being the projector itself.

If you ask me - D2S anyday for me with 5500K bulbs. You could also consider the mini D2S though.
sudeepg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 17:12   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I have no problems at all so far. It's running extremely well without any issues.

I don't know about the D5S 35W Morimoto bulb myself. But in theory, it should be better than the 25W D5S setup. What I found as the most limiting factor in the stock projector is the projector design itself. It caps the light output a lot. So I was very happy to change the projector itself. Just so you know, the same 25W D5S setup is used in the Jeep compass and it's far-far better than in the S-Cross. The only difference being the projector itself.

If you ask me - D2S anyday for me with 5500K bulbs. You could also consider the mini D2S though.
Well Thanks a lot for your prompt response, the design of the projector is new information for me. My main worry is the workmanship and the execution of the whole thing.

Have sent you a PM as well, grateful if you can respond to that too.
Old 9th May 2018, 17:25   #60
BANNED

Quote:
What I found as the most limiting factor in the stock projector is the projector design itself. It caps the light output a lot.
Is that because the stock projector lens isn't clear and has a dotted pattern on the lens?! Is this one of the main limiting factors?

Quote:
the design of the projector is new information for me.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks