Team-BHP - DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do it yourself (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/)
-   -   DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/192175-diy-adding-reversing-camera-hyundai-creta-5-oem-head-unit.html)

There were rumours around the connection of reverse camera to 5" oem head unit of Hyundai Creta. When taking delivery, I enquired this to my dealership and they denied it and confirmed that its impossible. Instead, they offered the solution to fix the camera on bumper and a separate 7" display or adding a rear view mirror with reverse camera display. Estimate was around 9,000/- and they were ready to offer some discount as well. But I was not interested in drilling a hole on the bumper. From that time, I was searching everywhere about the possibility of adding reverse camera input on my oem 5” head unit. Saw a video on youtube and confirmed that it works. My next task was to identify the pin out and connection diagram. Finally I got the pin out and diagram from one of the Hyundai forums. The 5” head unit is used on other models also.

Items required.
1. Jumper cables or “Car RCA Into 16 Pin Interface Adapter Cable” available at aliexpress, but very costly! Link
2. Pry tools
3. Reverse Camera
4. Tags to keep everything in place.

Cost
600INR for camera plus a half day. If Jumper cables are used instead of the connector, they will cost only around 100 including them and VGA connector.

Removal of head unit face plate

This is very important - To avoid damage to the dash board, keep a thick paper or stick tape around the head unit and start the prying process. Else you will end up with the beige coating on dash board damaged. You need to apply some pressure to get the faceplate removed. Start from the lower middle part and move sideways and finally top. Once the faceplate is removed, don’t pull it apart. You have to unlock and remove the connector of digital clock. Once it is removed, you can start unscrewing the head unit. Once the screws are unscrewed, slowly pull the head unit. No need to take out the head unit completely to fix the new connector. If you need to take out the head unit completely, remove the wiring harness and antennae connector from the back side of head unit.

Prying started.
DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-1.jpg

Removing the faceplate
DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-2.jpg

Removing the connector of digital clock
DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-3.jpg

Removing the screws of head unit for taking it out
DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-4.jpg

Connector
The connector is called “Car RCA Into 16 Pin Interface Adapter Cable” and Hyundai ASC had no clue about this connector. This connector is also called Connector C, as per the component documentaiton. I purchased it from aliexpress. This is a 16 pin connector, and we will be using Pin 3 as the camera ground, 4 as the Camera video input and 12 as the camera input trigger,which is the positive voltage line from reverse lamp. In case of unavailability, you can use jumper cables also. Jumper cables are very economical.

Car RCA Into 16 Pin Interface Adapter Cable
DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-5.jpg

Connector view
DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-6.jpg

Jumper cables, which you can use as an alternative
DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-7.jpg

Connector Pin out
DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-8.jpg

Adaptor cable Connection and testing
Before wiring everything, I need to make sure that the setup works. For that, I connected the Adapter Cable to the back of the head unit and the reverse camera to the other end of the Adapter Cable. You can trigger the camera input with a +ve supply. I checked the camera using the positive terminal from lighter socket and it worked! Now its time to fix the reverse camera and wiring. Decided to do the wiring first and if the wiring is successfully done, I can drill a hole and fix the camera.

Back side of head unit, where the connectors should go. You can see the extra connector on left
DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-9.jpg

This is the adapter cable connected to the VGA cable
DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-10.jpg

Adapter cable connected to the head unit
DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-11.jpg

Wiring
Ensure the Adapter Cable is in place and it’s time to put back the head unit. Once the head unit is screwed back, we can start the cabling. There is a cable already going to the back from dashboard through the left pillars and landing at tail gate through c pillar. Follow the path and you need to remove the plastic trim on a pillar, then the left roof till the tail gate. Remove the grab handles on left passenger side and co passenger sides. Take extreme care when removing the under roof part, as it can easily get folded like a paper carton. I never thought the quality was this much low. Once you reach the back, you can see the cable pass through a rubber cover to the tail gate. You can use the same cover to wire the cable to the tail gate, so that it looks like a factory finish

Follow this path. There is a cable already going thorough this path and you won't find it difficult to follow.
DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-12.jpg

Wire through this rubber covering
DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-13.jpg
DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-14.jpg

Wired through it and fixed it back. Looks not tampered at all.
DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-15.jpg

Fixing the camera
Remove the plastic trim from the tailgate. Before removing the panel, make sure to detach the boot unlock switch. Once the panel is removed, drill a small hole and fix the camera. Align the camera as per your requirement. Connect the camera to the cable we wired from the head unit. Once the camera is connected, we have one wire left, which is the camera input trigger. We need to connect it to the positive terminal of reverse lamp.

DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-16.jpg
DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-17.jpg

Camera trigger
Reverse lamp had 2 blue wires and it was connected to a connector. The blue wires was joined with one light green and black wire. To ensure the polarity, I used a multi meter and found that the light green wire is the positive terminal and it is the wire we need to trigger the camera input. No wire splice or scotch connector was used in my case. I simply spliced the camera trigger wire and inserted it to the green wired connector and plugged it back. There is a dark green wire also in the connector. Don't get mistaked.

The camera trigger was connected to this
DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-18.jpg

Final testing
Now everything is in place and I double checked the installation. Switched on the head unit and put the gear to reverse. I could see the rear image on head unit screen. Mission Success! :)

DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-19.jpg

Camera fixed
DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-20.jpg

Long view
DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-21.jpg

Reverse camera in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1QaR9FnaEw

Superb DIY. Very well documented too. Thank you so much for this. I am not surprised to hear that Hyundai Service is unaware of this approach. Most after sales service workshops do not want to tamper (even if its completely safe) with any equipment, unless they have a direction from the manufacturer for installation of the accessory. In my S-cross the door sil guards were installed by the dealer and they had a specific document on how to install it, which includes wire splicing using 3M scotch lock. On the second service, service folks made a hue and cry about the scotch lock connector, to which I simply showed them the Genuine Nexa booklet that shows how this official accessory must be installed. That silenced them.

Using connectors is always the best approach since it allows reversal of the install and most importantly it always ensures a secure connection. In my experience AliExpress is THE place to get all types of connectors, its simply not available in India.

This is neat. Very well done work.

I hope your DIY work will provide necessary support to other forum members to take up this task in their cars.

Reverse camera is very important and useful.

Thanks for your taking up this challenge !

Nicely done and explained well too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sujithsidhardha (Post 4300502)
Cost
600INR for camera

You got a very deal on camera. I bought the camera with similar dimension but Chrome finish from amazon for INR 2500. Before installing, I measured the current consumption, it was 180 mA. Did you get a chance to measure the current consumption of the camera?
Quote:

Originally Posted by PetaWatt (Post 4301532)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sujithsidhardha (Post 4300502)
Wiring
Follow the path and you need to remove the plastic trim on a pillar, then the left roof till the tail gate. Remove the grab handles on left passenger side and co passenger sides.
Attachment 1693082

It will be great if you can share some photos (if taken). When I was installing camera 2 weeks back in my Duster, I was uncomfortable opening roof lining, used the floor lining instead. For roof lining, I was suppose to remove the door beading and those handles too. I felt removing floor line was cheaper approach as door bead's start and end point was there itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetaWatt (Post 4302072)
Before installing, I measured the current consumption, it was 180 mA.

Correction: In my log book I found that the current consumption for the camera I installed on my Duster is 95mA. By mistake, I told the current rating of the camera I had rejected(The free one with the display, it was heating up too)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetaWatt (Post 4302072)
You got a very deal on camera. I bought the camera with similar dimension but Chrome finish from amazon for INR 2500. Before installing, I measured the current consumption, it was 180 mA. Did you get a chance to measure the current consumption of the camera?

It will be great if you can share some photos (if taken). When I was installing camera 2 weeks back in my Duster, I was uncomfortable opening roof lining, used the floor lining instead. For roof lining, I was suppose to remove the door beading and those handles too. I felt removing floor line was cheaper approach as door bead's start and end point was there itself.

I got the camera from aliexpress and hence the low pricing. Sory. I haven't measured the current consumption. Since it is not an always on device and works only on reverse, i didn't bothered to check it. Defenitely, i will check it when i have a chance to open it again.

Sorry again. No photos were taken during the wiring through roof. If its a creta, once you open the a pillar trim, you can follow the existing cable all the way. I checked roof as well as floor and found roof as the easiest way to do the cabling. Wiring through the floor required additional work like more plastic trims to be removed. Seems it depends on the vehicle. In my santro, wiring through the floor was an easy task.

Those who are not interested in drilling the plastic trim can opt for another camera model. If anyone is interested, link is here and cost around 700INR. This can be installed by removing the existing number plate illumination light cover. Do consider the below reasons as well which kept me away from this model.

1. Can easily be removed/ stolen and can be damaged with a twist.
2. Seems it will protrude more than the existing camera. Not sure though, it seems so.

Only merit is that you don't need to drill the trim.

DIY: Adding a Reversing Camera to the Hyundai Creta (5" OEM Head-Unit)-htb1uoh4ixxxxxxzxfxxq6xxfxxx8.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by sujithsidhardha (Post 4308588)
Those who are not interested in drilling the plastic trim can opt for another camera model. If anyone is interested, link is here and cost around 700INR. This can be installed by removing the existing number plate illumination light cover. Do consider the below reasons as well which kept me away from this model.

1. Can easily be removed/ stolen and can be damaged with a twist.
2. Seems it will protrude more than the existing camera. Not sure though, it seems so.

Only merit is that you don't need to drill the hole

Hi, I'm planning to buy facelifted Creta E+ and the SA from Advaith and Trident have confirmed that the socket to install camera is missing in new Creta E+ 5" 2 Din system. Could you please check from your dealership if this is true and if it is, what are the other possible options I have to installing a reverse parking camera.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sary (Post 4434087)
Hi, I'm planning to buy facelifted Creta E+ and the SA from Advaith and Trident have confirmed that the socket to install camera is missing in new Creta E+ 5" 2 Din system. Could you please check from your dealership if this is true and if it is, what are the other possible options I have to installing a reverse parking camera.

I inquired this to my dealership a year back and they told me the same thing. Later i checked the head unit and found the socket. So can't confirm the words from SA. I suggest you to check with the local audio installation shops also.

I am not familiar with the head unit on new e+. Not sure its a different model as well. If we could get a photo of the back side of head unit along with the model number, we could check the functionality.

Auto dimming IRVM with video input is available. Search on aliexpress and buy from a reputed seller or you can get it locally if available at reasonable cost. You will get an auto dimming mirror along with a reverse camera output without having any extra devices mounted on your dash or anywhere. Looks clean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sujithsidhardha (Post 4308588)
Those who are not interested in drilling the plastic trim can opt for another camera model. If anyone is interested, link is here and cost around 700INR.

How is the performance of the camera in night ? I had fitted a camera with similar specification of 0.5 lux as minimum illumination needed for useful video - but it was blind during the night.

I replaced the camera after struggling with it years with a better camera with IR LEDs built in. The earlier camera also had issues with auto IRIS adjustment. It would go white when the Sun shines into it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 4434151)
How is the performance of the camera in night ? I had fitted a camera with similar specification of 0.5 lux as minimum illumination needed for useful video - but it was blind during the night.

I replaced the camera after struggling with it years with a better camera with IR LEDs built in. The earlier camera also had issues with auto IRIS adjustment. It would go white when the Sun shines into it.

I am not using the camera mentioned in the quote. Instead, i drilled the trim to fix the camera as per the initial post. Camera is not too bad at night. Chinese have different quality products. The case/cabin looks similar but the internals differ.

Will post a night time video.

Thank you for detailed guide.
No sensors needed?
i have booked the facelifted Creta E Plus.i am planning to change the 5" OEM head unit with Sony XAV-AX5000.just wanted to know wether i can follow the same procedure? As sony head unit comes with direct input for camera so no need of that RCA connector right?

Also, I know this is not the right thread to ask but any idea about headlight bulb specifications in E Plus model? Is it H4?
Fogs bulbs are H27? Sorry for too many questions

Thank You For Detailed Guide Again

Quote:

Originally Posted by sahiltodankar (Post 4436567)
No sensors needed?

Sensors for what? Please advice. If the query is for reverse sensors, its not installed.

Quote:

i have booked the facelifted Creta E Plus.i am planning to change the 5" OEM head unit with Sony XAV-AX5000.just wanted to know wether i can follow the same procedure? As sony head unit comes with direct input for camera so no need of that RCA connector right?

Guidelines in this thread is for adding a reverse camera to the existing 5" head unit, which do not have a direct camera input.

You can follow the same procedure to replace the head unit and wire the reverse camera.

Seems you may require an adapter cable harness that converts existing connector to fit with sony head unit. Please enquire with the sony head unit supplier about the availability. When i purchased a blaupunkt head unit for santro, i got the adapter cable free of cost.

Quote:

any idea about headlight bulb specifications in E Plus model? Is it H4?
Fogs bulbs are H27? Sorry for too many questions

H4 for head light. I'm not sure about the facelift fog lamps. It is H27 for Pre facelift.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sujithsidhardha (Post 4455541)
Sensors for what? Please advice. If the query is for reverse sensors, its not installed.

Guidelines in this thread is for adding a reverse camera to the existing 5" head unit, which do not have a direct camera input.

You can follow the same procedure to replace the head unit and wire the reverse camera.

Seems you may require an adapter cable harness that converts existing connector to fit with sony head unit. Please enquire with the sony head unit supplier about the availability. When i purchased a blaupunkt head unit for santro, i got the adapter cable free of cost.

H4 for head light. I'm not sure about the facelift fog lamps. It is H27 for Pre facelift.

Thank you .my most of the queries solved.will different enquire about extra wiring harness. Tomorrow i am going to visit accessories market which will solve most of the doubts 😀