Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2018, 10:25   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Does the OE fog lamp socket fit directly into the HID Ballast Input? No need for relay harness?
Yes the HID ballast I got was with H11 socket. The relay harness may or may not be required. ECosport stock bulb is 55W so I figured that the 35W HID will draw less current than stock. The Ecosport already has a relay and a 15A fuse for the fog lamp.

The issue is only when you power up the HID and it draws more current at startup.

I checked this and didn't see much delay in powering up or lesser light.

if your stock fog light is 35W then you might need a relay harness.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 11:54   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yes the HID ballast I got was with H11 socket. The relay harness may or may not be required. ECosport stock bulb is 55W so I figured that the 35W HID will draw less current than stock. The Ecosport already has a relay and a 15A fuse for the fog lamp.

The issue is only when you power up the HID and it draws more current at startup.

I checked this and didn't see much delay in powering up or lesser light.

if your stock fog light is 35W then you might need a relay harness.
Yes, that's what I was wondering. Good to know that Ecosport fog comes in H11 55W. That is very convenient to power the 35W HID. Also, this is the first kit that I seeing with an H11 type of socket on the Ballast to make it truly plug and play.
Old 24th September 2018, 00:10   #63

I too took the plunge and Installed the fog projectors on my 2015 Ecosport TDCI, these were purchased from a seller in Delhi named Blaze India, special thanks to @Dr.Naren who gave the lead of this seller in his thread Bi-Xenon Projector Fog lamps for his S-Cross.

I opted for the 3 inch 55W setup, upon reading some reviews and consulting the seller I ended up ordering 5500k bulbs (which are suitable under all weather conditions) the kit costed me INR 6900 along with shipping .
Got the package in a day, the seller ships through Bluedart ,and was very responsive and honest about all the questions raised.

Package included:
-iPHCAR projectors 3 Inch (Fits OEM shroud, but without the chrome cover on the shroud)
-TC-X Fast bright 55w Ballast
-Weather proof end connections and wiring for bulbs and ballasts.
-All possible fog lamp brackets with screws which are metal powder coated.

I have installed these at Gearheads which is my friends garage where they have a setup to service 200cc+ bikes, they also undertake electrical work for cars and high end bikes, he being from electrical background followed all precautionary measures with the wire gauge selection and wiring installation, not a single wire was spliced or no OEM harness was altered in this installation.

Problems faced during installation-
We had to drill the brackets and increase the hole Dia of the already existing holes in the brackets, some more adjustments were required to fit these projectors in the OEM assembly so that there were no leveling issues.

We faced a problem with the screw and the hole falling too small, the screw holds the bracket and the metal body projectors in place, their small size was causing the threads to slip in the drilled hole provided in the projectors, but we managed to put some Loctite/ thread lock to hold them in place.

It was found that the projector high beam wires which came out of the projectors were very delicate and the wires could easily be dislodged from its base, so we had to put a heat shrink tube over it with an additional protection of Corrugated wire hose tube cover which ensured complete protection, The Hi-Beam connection was drawn from the headlight socket by inserting the tinned Hi Beam wires into the headlamp socket.

After connecting the first projector and switching the fog lamps onn everything seemed normal, but when we connected the second projector and switched the fog lamp onn the 15 amp fog lamp fuse blew, this was due to the initial surge of current from the Ballasts to power the HID’s, we then changed the fuse to 20 amp following my friends calculations and all worked perfectly.

It took us a whole day to finish the installation, major time was spent on talking about cars and bikes, this is what happens when auto-fanatics meet, meanwhile I was also drooling over his white Ninja 300. By dawn we were ready to fire the bulbs and do a final alignment.

The results were truly satisfying as per my expectation and worth every penny, I was doing a research over Aliexpress for these projectors but they would still be costlier if the customs were levied in addition to the 20 to 25 days to shipping lead time.

I got to experience these projectors on my recent trip to my house at Alibaug (Nagaon) during Ganesh Chaturthi we left Mumbai by 4.30 am on 13th sep and opted the Chirner route and these projectors lit up the road like daylight, next day I had to visit my relatives at Murud,had a very scenic drive to Murud and had to return to Alibaug at night, my parents, wifey and my 86 year old grandmother who are always a bit skeptical to travel that patch at night, In fact they felt quite secure through out the drive.

Regular Mumbai – Pune trips and my office commute from Kandivali to Mahape and return Mahape – Mumbra – Ghodbunder-Kandivali have become a boon during the night.

Kindly excuse the photo quality these were taken on an I phone 8 plus.
Photos are Fog projectors + Headlights Lo-Beam and Fog projectors + Headlights Hi-Beam, for some reason I am not able to arrange the photos accordingly, but one can easily make out.

(Off Topic- Earlier last year managed to install 4 100w auxiliary Lucas driving lamps on our swift these were purchased from Opera house car market they were so powerful that once flashed even big truck haulers would give a way)

These lights are used cautiously taking care no oncoming traffic is blinded.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-dsc1.jpg  

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-dsc15.jpg  

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-dsc-6.jpg  

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-dsc_0011.jpg  

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-img20180815wa0063.jpg  

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-img20180922wa0006-copy.jpg  

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-dsc_0019.jpg  

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-dsc_0027.jpg  

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-dsc_0028.jpg  

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-img20180921wa0015.jpg  

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-img20180921wa0020.jpg  

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-img20180922wa0009.jpg  

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-screenshot.png  

Moto_Guzzi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 17:41   #64

Re: HID & LED headlamps - Are they really as good as claimed?

Hello BHPians. This is my first posting here. Correct me if any mistakes in my posting.

I need some clarifications regarding the following detailed below

I have recently booked the new ecosport titanium sports(TDCI). One thing about the car itching me is the headlights.

The low beams are projectors with white HIDs and the high beams are reflectors with normal halogens.

The matters I want clarifications are that

1) When we switch on to high beam, both the HIDs and Halogens are beaming simultaneously. Will it cause any problems regarding visibility as I have heard the White beam will get compromised by Yellow shade of halogen.

2) If I install a similar white, plug type LED whether I will have any advantage than the previous factory set up.

3) Also is there any problem in using HID and LED combination.

Thank you in Advance.
Old 30th September 2018, 18:47   #65
Team-BHP Support

Re: HID & LED headlamps - Are they really as good as claimed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akanandavishnu View Post
Hello BHPians. This is my first posting here. Correct me if any mistakes in my posting.

I need some clarifications regarding the following detailed below

I have recently booked the new ecosport titanium sports(TDCI). One thing about the car itching me is the headlights.

The low beams are projectors with white HIDs and the high beams are reflectors with normal halogens.

The matters I want clarifications are that

1) When we switch on to high beam, both the HIDs and Halogens are beaming simultaneously. Will it cause any problems regarding visibility as I have heard the White beam will get compromised by Yellow shade of halogen.

2) If I install a similar white, plug type LED whether I will have any advantage than the previous factory set up.

3) Also is there any problem in using HID and LED combination.

Thank you in Advance.
For the Ecosport S, just replace the high beam with a better bulb like Philips Xtreme Vision or Osram Nightbreaker laser.

Don't bother with LED's for high beams. It won't be used much and the cost of LED is not justified. Secondly most good LED's are white light which means driving in rain is worse.

There is no problem in HID+LED and no problem in mixing yellow and white light.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 02:15   #66
BHPian

Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

Hi all,

I have been using LED head light bulbs in my Ecosport for over a year now. As I started experimenting with a wide budget ranges starting from the cheapest on Amazon, to above 2.5K on AliExpress, I thought I'd put up some pics here so that prospective buyers could get an idea of what to expect and what to avoid.

Starring off, my car uses an H4 bulb, which is the most common in India, and also possibly the worst design. Because it uses the same bulb for high and low beams, the beam quality is often a compromise. With good reflector design and high brightness, the beam can be made quite good, but the spread is almost always uneven, especially with smaller, non-rounded reflectors. The best option would always be an upgrade to a properly done projector retrofit, but it's an expensive option.

The first upgrade I made was to switch to a relay setup with ceramic connectors and blue colored 100/90W bulbs from a local accessory shop. While the wiring kit from TVS was good, the bulbs were quite horrible, and other than the less yellowish color, there was nothing good about them. Stay away from these kind of blue bulbs!

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_011bluehal.jpgDIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_012bluehal.jpg

The beam pattern was quite horrible, even worse than the original OSRAM 55/60W!

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_009bluehallb.jpgDIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_010bluehalhb.jpg

Within a week, I went back and upgraded to 130/90W OSRAM Rally bulbs. These are not meant for on road use and it says to on the packaging. But at the time, I just wanted brighter headlamps and 130W was better than 100W for only a little bit more. This is how the pattern looks like.

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_003osram13090w.jpgDIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_004osram13090w.jpg

As you can see, the difference in lighting was like day and night. I only rarely use the high beam on my car, mostly to flash in corners, and to alert the occasional oncoming idiot who refuses to dip. For that purpose, the 130W high beam is awesome. It has excellent range, and the only downside is the incredible amount of heat generated. If you stand two feet in front of the headlights, you can feel the heat on your body!

After hearing about LED headlamps, I decided to buy a pair off Amazon. These were called C6 LED bulbs. This is what they look like. Avoid them like the plague, as they have a horrible beam pattern, and bad quality LED chips that have coloured edges, and loud, noisy fans.

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-h4c6ledheadlightbulb36w3800lmleucioriginalimafy5rvyhbrs4c8.jpeg

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_005c6led_lb.jpgDIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_006c6ledhb.jpg

The main problems are the heavy color fringeing, lower brightness than halogens, lack of focus spot for the high beam, and noisy operation. They are also very unreliable and you should only use them as bling. They are useless as headlamps. On the plus side, since they scatter so much light, others can see you very well, and won't crash into you, I guess!! Please stay away from them.

The next type of lamps are very common nowadays. These are 6000K CSP LED bulbs. I got these from AliExpress from a company called OSLAMP. They are very good, but tend to burn out if you keep the headlamp's dust cover on, as there is no cooling fan and only a heat sink. I have already uploaded pictures of these in previous posts. Build quality is very good. This would also be good for projector setups, as they mimic halogen filament placement closely.

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-2f8017dc18ccf195fb2fcef0d4cee3ed.jpg

Here's the beam pattern. These have a very good low beam and high beam pattern. But in some conditions, the white light gets scattered and the range is affected.

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_007oslamp25w5500klb.jpgDIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_008oslamp25w5500khb.jpg

You can see that the beam pattern closely matches that of the halogens, and the brightness is much more. I've been using these for more than a year now. One bulb burnt out because of overheating, but I ordered another set immediately.

Finally, I have the new 4300K HLXG LEDs that I just got last week. These are supposed to be the best of both worlds, as you get the correct color for longer range and for rain/fog performance, as well as the increased brightness and instant startup of LEDs.

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_013hlxg4300kled.jpgDIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_014hlxg4300kled.jpg

Note the more yellowish chips. The more reddish the chip color, the warmer the color temp. 3000K chips look orange.

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_015hlxg4300kledbase.jpgDIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_016hlxg4300kleddriver.jpg

This model comes with a nicely sculpted heatsink, and a separate driver for better heat dissipation.

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_017hlxg4300kledclamp.jpg

This is the clamp for attaching the bulb to the standard H4 reflector holder. Note the asymmetrical guides to ensure the bulb is installed correctly.

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_018hlxg4300kled1.jpgDIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_019hlxg4300kled2.jpg

This is what it looks like, fitted inside the reflector. Note that the bulb is angled to the driver side.

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_020hlxg4300kledlb.jpgDIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_021hlxg4300kledhb.jpg

With the LED fog lamps on:

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_022hlxg4300kledlbfogs.jpgDIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_023hlxg4300kledhbfogs.jpg

With only the fog lamps on:

DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade-ecosport_vivekgk_024fogs.jpg

Hope this has been useful!! Feel free to ask questions!
vivekgk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 18:12   #67
BHPian

Quote:
But what I did temporarily was fit the HID bulbs in the stock fog lights. The result was scarily good. Yes it will not be comfortable for oncoming traffic but it wasn't that bad.

I got the HID kit from USA but you can also try the Osram one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.in/Osram-Xenon-42...rds=osram+dh11
Hi Vid, I own a 2016 EcoSport and have some of questions:

1. If I order the above HID from Osram, will it be a direct fit for the fog lights? Confused if DH11 and H11 mean the same thing.
2. Would it hurt it any way if I install it without a relay?
3. Were you able to figure out a way to lower the RHS fog light beam so that it doesn't blind the oncoming traffic? If there is a way to do this, I can guarantee that you have figured out a way for all EcoSport owners to get rid of the lightning issue.
Old 8th October 2018, 18:10   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
Hi Vid, I own a 2016 EcoSport and have some of questions:

1. If I order the above HID from Osram, will it be a direct fit for the fog lights? Confused if DH11 and H11 mean the same thing.
2. Would it hurt it any way if I install it without a relay?
3. Were you able to figure out a way to lower the RHS fog light beam so that it doesn't blind the oncoming traffic? If there is a way to do this, I can guarantee that you have figured out a way for all EcoSport owners to get rid of the lightning issue.
I'm not Vid, but I hope I can answer some of your questions.

1. The picture on the page shows an HID bulb, that has H11 written on it. I think DH11 is the model name given by Osram.

Name:  osram dh11.gif
Views: 6672
Size:  37.7 KB

2. The product page says that a CANBUS adapter is integrated, which should take care of any error codes or other issues. However, an HID kit has b
ballasts that can go up to 25000 volts output and personally I wouldn't install it without a relay and fuse. A relay would also help the ballast start up faster and run cooler.

3. A quick and dirty fix for this is to apply some dark tint on the upper side of the fog lamp lens. To figure out how much of the lamp to cover, turn on the low beam and the fogs, and cover the top part of the fog lamps with your hand until the area above the low beam cutoff line isn't lit up. I am planning on doing this as soon as the film I ordered online arrives. Hopefully, someone else has a more elegant solution.
vivekgk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 18:20   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
Vivek has answered most questions below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I'm not Vid, but I hope I can answer some of your questions.

3. A quick and dirty fix for this is to apply some dark tint on the upper side of the fog lamp lens. To figure out how much of the lamp to cover, turn on the low beam and the fogs, and cover the top part of the fog lamps with your hand until the area above the low beam cutoff line isn't lit up. I am planning on doing this as soon as the film I ordered online arrives. Hopefully, someone else has a more elegant solution.
Regarding the fog lights, you can easily lower the fog lights to as low as you want. There is a screw on the fog light enclosure that is used to set the height. The entire assembly inside tilts downwards.

Did that and it works perfectly. I still havent changed to projectors.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 14:44   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Hope this has been useful!! Feel free to ask questions!
Thanks so much for this wonderful thread, Vid and Vivek! This has finally given me the courage to take the plunge and get my halogen lo beam projectors to LED. I can see that the new CSP LEDs are almost as good as filament bulbs especially for the reputed manufacturers for the beam pattern.

I still have a few queries though
>> Any advantages of going fanless vs fan-based LEDs , or vice versa ?
>> How much heat does the LED bulbs produce, especially the heatsinks. I checked the clearances on my headlight and with stock dust caps, the heatsinks might end up touching the rubber caps.
>> How are the 4300K bulbs performing, may be you can share some shots ?
>> Is it okay to keep my hi beam bulbs on halogen as they are non projector? My car's headlights have a dual beam setup.
Old 14th October 2018, 14:54   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
I still have a few queries though
>> Any advantages of going fanless vs fan-based LEDs , or vice versa ?
fanless needs more space for the fins or heat sinks and is not as effective in cooling as a fan. On the other hand the fan is a cheap mechanical motor that can itself fail rendering the bulb useless.

Quote:
>> How much heat does the LED bulbs produce, especially the heatsinks. I checked the clearances on my headlight and with stock dust caps, the heatsinks might end up touching the rubber caps.
The heat is not from the bulb per se, its from the circuit to drive the LED. That said the heat will still be less than a halogen bulb so dust cap touching is fine.

Quote:
>> How are the 4300K bulbs performing, may be you can share some shots ?
Check my pics on this post: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post4457492 (DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade)

The second pic is of 4300K HID fogs.

Quote:
>> Is it okay to keep my hi beam bulbs on halogen as they are non projector? My car's headlights have a dual beam setup.
High beam should be halogen or LED. Not HID. I would prefer halogen for now since most good LED's are 5500K+.

With HID's you can't flash high beam as HID's take a few seconds to come on.

Low beam can be LED's easily.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 14:45   #72

Quote:
Experiment #2 Xenon Depot Xtreme LED PRO:

After the failed attempt, I did not give up but decided to go deeper into the LED deisgn. Just the light source matching between LED and Halogen was not enough. I had to look at the LED construction as well. Discrete vs Array. Domed LED's were not preferred. You can clearly see the difference in the below 2 images of the CREE array LED and the CSP LED. The CREE XHP50 Hikari LED's have the right design in terms of light source location vs the halogen but the light source itself is quite different. It's more round vs the straight 3 in a line CSP LED that exactly matches the halogen bulb source. Also, instead of fan which can go bad being active I looked at heat sink models with fins for cooling.
Dear sir,

Apologies as this may sound like a complete tool of a question but I've been trying to find an alternative to the stock headlamps for my 2017 Ford Ecosport.
I'm sure everyone is aware of the quality of the bulbs that come with the car and they are by no means useful while driving like a city in Noida or Delhi or even the highways, in and around the city.

I have been angling for a move from the stock headlamps to LED bulbs, in order to increase the visibility of the road while I drive. So here are a bunch of my questions:

1. In your post, you have tried your hand at a couple of LED bulbs in order to see which ones suit best. From Hikari to Xenon Depot. Both have different outputs and throw. Is this because that one LED bulb didn't suit the reflector design and the other did, or was it purely the quality of the LED bulb.

2. Just out of curiosity, why did you not try out the Philips Ultinon and X-Treme vision LEDs that are available in India? Is there a difference in quality in both?

3. What is the importance of installing a bulb that has an inbuilt fan? My guess is that the Philips LEDs do not come with a fan i.e. they are fanless, unlike the Xenon Depot ones that you have used. Will installing a fanless one cause immediate heating issues? I definitely don't want overheating issues with the lamps.

4. As a cheaper alternative, does it make sense to switch to the white/blue bulbs that Philips or Osram make? They are the halogen ones, is that a considerable upgrade on the stock bulbs?

I'm quite confused between which LEDs to go and for and I would really like to switch from the bulbs as they are a nightmare when I have to drive at night. It would be great if you could share your opinion on the above. If it suits, even your email id would be great so that I can have a proper chat with you, before I come to any conclusion.

Thanks,
Raghav

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th November 2018 at 14:52.
Old 21st January 2019, 04:01   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Guzzi View Post

Package included:
-iPHCAR projectors 3 Inch (Fits OEM shroud, but without the chrome cover
I understand that those chrome covers cant be used once the projectors have taken their space but how did you manage to adjust the low beam? I endlessly tried correcting mine but my low beam remains pretty high and it blinds oncoming traffic because of which I have restricted the use of these projectors to highway. Its fine while those black cowls are out but as soon as I fit the black fog light covers, the beam goes pretty high.
Old 28th January 2019, 00:04   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Guzzi View Post
I too took the plunge and Installed the fog projectors on my 2015 Ecosport TDCI, these were purchased from a seller in Delhi named Blaze India, special thanks to @Dr.Naren who gave the lead of this seller in his thread Bi-Xenon Projector Fog lamps for his S-Cross.
Hi

Do you have any photos or video of the removal of the fog lamp cover? I want to do a DIY install of 2.5 inch H11 projector fog lamp units and LED bulbs with low/high beam. I need to know how to get access to the fog lamp holder. If you could post pictures or video of how to take off the chrome fog lamp cover and the black molding to get access to the mounting screws, it would be great.

Also, I understand that the fitment issues you faced were partly due to the 3-inch units that you used. Would the retrofit have been easier if you had gone for 2.5-inch units? Are the foglamps a standard size, or do you need any special brackets?

Thanks in advance..

Last edited by vivekgk : 28th January 2019 at 00:05.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 18:37   #75
BHPian

I'm evaluating options for my Ecosport (Facelift). To be honest, I'm happy with the current H7 Low / H1 High setup on the new Ecosport but high-beam driving is rampant in our city and its just impossible to see the road ahead.

Keeping aside the discussions of who is blinding who, I was looking at the following options to upgrade only the high beam (H1):

https://www.amazon.in/AUTOBAHN-R6-Cu...gateway&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.in/KaTur-H1-Headl...gateway&sr=8-3

Has anyone tried any of those brands, especially with Ecosport?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks