Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2018, 17:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY: City cowl panel cleaning & the subterfuge of Honda service centers

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
Given the number of responses, it is apparent that the cowl panel is a common weak spot for rusting
Could be manufacturer specific.

Here is the link to an old thread of mine - I had to do a DIY on the wiper of my Palio :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post3745419 (look at the pictures from Steps 6 to 9 which show the body after removing the cowl)

My car was parked in the open, in Mumbai, for years. Used at least three or four different types of body covers - but nothing could withstand the onslaught of Mumbai rains :-( Other than rust in some parts of wiper assembly, there wasn't much rusting elsewhere in the engine compartment.

You are right about getting it cleaned through pressure wash is a good preventive measure to keep rust at bay.
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 22:34   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //HB View Post
Many thanks, Shashi! These were great help in seeing firsthand the results. These guys seemed to use mix of vinegar and water, what has been your experience ? Is it ok to use only vinegar without dilution, or you have also used the diluted mix ?
Sorry, somehow I missed your post.

I am an impatient guy, so I have always used undiluted vinegar as it works quickly. Diluted vinegar also works, but as expected, a bit slowly.

Quote:
The third pic from top shows the guy welding directly below the windscreen, and that's kind of similar location where i saw the rusting in my City. As such, did the welding adversely affect the windscreen silicon / beading or anything ?
800 uses a rubber beading. Absolutely no issues with the beading if done carefully.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 09:48   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I am an impatient guy, so I have always used undiluted vinegar as it works quickly. Diluted vinegar also works, but as expected, a bit slowly.

Regards,
Shashi
Thanks, I too will try out undiluted vinegar. I'm hoping the damage isn't too extensive and maybe I can get away with just a clean-up and then spray coat, hopefully avoiding the welding part.
//HB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 12:28   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
When you guys are talking about Vinegar, is it over the shelf from supermarkets and retail shops or industry grade ?
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 12:58   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
When you guys are talking about Vinegar, is it over the shelf from supermarkets and retail shops or industry grade ?
The cheapest vinegar you can find from any store. I buy vinegar in wholesale sometimes which costs me around 18 rupees per litre.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 09:38   #36
BHPian

Quote:
The DIY is fairly simple and took all of 45 min from start to finish. While this thread is focused on Honda City as that is the car I worked on, others should be largely similar.
Thank you varunsangal.
I would like to do this DIY. This will be my first time to do it on my 2016 Honda City, so can you please post the photos of the exact location of all the Nuts/Screws/Pins to be removed for the plastic panel to come off.
kozhissery is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 10:02   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Could be manufacturer specific.
The length of time it takes to rust would be design specific and in turn manufacturer specific. Also, the thickness of the sheet metal, the anti-rust/primer treatment would all contribute to the length of time it takes to rust.

This was why i also called out in the title of my thread "the subterfuge of Honda service centers". Honda recognizes the problem and has a way out, but the service centers couldn't be bothered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
...so can you please post the photos of the exact location of all the Nuts/Screws/Pins to be removed for the plastic panel to come off.
Most of the locations are shown in the first post, please look at images #3-5.

The procedure to remove the plastic cladding is fairly simple. There are a total of 5 push pin type rivets and 2 nuts for the wipers to be removed.

Will click a picture of each of the 5 rivets when I am near the car next. However, if you open the bonnet and look at the plastic cladding carefully, the rivets are apparent, 2 on each side of the cladding and 1 in the middle. The wiper nuts are already highlighted in the post.
varunsangal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 11:05   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Most of the locations are shown in the first post, please look at images #3-5.

The procedure to remove the plastic cladding is fairly simple. There are a total of 5 push pin type rivets and 2 nuts for the wipers to be removed.

Will click a picture of each of the 5 rivets when I am near the car next. However, if you open the bonnet and look at the plastic cladding carefully, the rivets are apparent, 2 on each side of the cladding and 1 in the middle. The wiper nuts are already highlighted in the post.
Thank you Sir.
I did see the rivets but was not pretty sure as 3 are of one size and other 2 of different size. So thought if I can get the exact spots marked, it would of great help.
kozhissery is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 12:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
The process is the same for Swift, remove wiper, remove plastic rivets, take out cladding and see the muck. Should not be vastly different for your DZire.
Varun,

I am planning to get this done this weekend without fail since I have never had chance to open it till now. Have been in dust bowls and rain at same time which is making me worry that I need to attend to this ASAP.

Wanted to clarify before I proceed in my DZire:

1. Do I need to remove the hood or can I do it with it on the hinges ?

2. Will there be possibility to clean the A/C intake manifold ? If yes, what tools do I need to use ?

3. Can I coat the cowl panel with Aluminum or Rust inhibitor spray ? Just as a preventive measure ?
Old 11th April 2018, 18:23   #40
BHPian

Quote:

1. Do I need to remove the hood or can I do it with it on the hinges ?
No need to remove the hood. The plastic claddingl comes out fairly easily.
  1. Remove wiper
  2. Remove rivets on the cladding.
  3. Gently prise the cladding out.
  4. Done!!

Quote:
2. Will there be possibility to clean the A/C intake manifold ? If yes, what tools do I need to use ?
AC intake manifold is literally a big hole at the back of the cowl panel. If you want to clean the AC filter and fan, you will need to go under the dash (remove glovebox etc). It is a fairly easy job IMO. There is also an excellent post on it somewhere on the forum, but can't find it.

Quote:
3. Can I coat the cowl panel with Aluminum or Rust inhibitor spray ? Just as a preventive measure ?
Leoshashi has put up this very useful post on rust treatment.
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 09:50   #41
BHPian

Quote:
AC intake manifold is literally a big hole at the back of the cowl panel. If you want to clean the AC filter and fan, you will need to go under the dash (remove glovebox etc). It is a fairly easy job IMO. There is also an excellent post on it somewhere on the forum, but can't find it.

Leoshashi has put up this very useful post on rust treatment.
Thanks Varun.

I need to clean the A/C intake since my car is parked at least 5 days a week in underground parking rife with construction dust and I just wash it then and there. All that dust just washes away into cowl. And off late, I am getting that mildew smell too. I too remember the A/C motor and rotor cleaning thread by a gentleman in his Wagon R I suppose. Let me check that.

For the A/C intake, is there enough space for me to use a bottle brush to clean away the muck ? If yes, I need to buy one accordingly with more bristles and long handle to make it easy to clean.

Regarding Sashi's suggestion, I have got all the material ready with me now. Got the Rust converter + Aluminum spray too, but not sure if I can spray in the cowl housing. Theoretically, it should do no harm, but just wanted to be sure if I am doing it right.

Last edited by prithm : 12th April 2018 at 09:53. Reason: spelling
Old 12th April 2018, 10:33   #42
BHPian

Can anyone help me with how this cowl access is on the rapid?
Or can someone point me towards a video?
Would love to do it this weekend.
Old 12th April 2018, 13:10   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Varun.
For the A/C intake, is there enough space for me to use a bottle brush to clean away the muck ?
There should be enough space to insert a bottle brush. However, would suggest inserting a paper where the AC filter is inside the cabin to prevent the muck from falling into the AC blower.

Also, a lot of mildew smell would be in the ducts and possibly the carpets as well, you may want to clean it at the same time.
varunsangal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2018, 19:01   #44
BHPian

Quote:
There should be enough space to insert a bottle brush. However, would suggest inserting a paper where the AC filter is inside the cabin to prevent the muck from falling into the AC blower.

Also, a lot of mildew smell would be in the ducts and possibly the carpets as well, you may want to clean it at the same time.
Got it Varun.

Created cowl cleaning thread for DZire.
prithm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 10:22   #45
BHPian

My latest experience on my wife's car (Swift VDi) underlines the importance of taking care of the cowl panel. The cowl panel on the car had rusted through, enough to let water into the ECM (related post).

It now appears that the water has killed off the ECM, caused the injectors #1 & 2 to fail and caused a fuse blow out. The car is in limp home mode and needs ~25k INR spent to get it running again. All because the service center couldn't be bothered to open 2 nuts and 5 plastic rivets every 6 months.
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks