Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2018, 14:03   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY - Removing moisture buildup from the foglamps (Maruti Ertiga)

I have a similar problem with one of the fog lamps on my Ford Fiesta Classic.
The design of the Ford bumper is very plain and does not have such housings to easily access the fog lamp cluster. To add to that, the wheel well cladding makes that area completely inaccessible to do such DIYs.

I had similar assumptions that using the fog lamps will help evaporate the mist inside. It works as well, but the mist comes back every monsoon.

I will take the car to the dealership or an accessory showroom to get this done. Opening up a Ford bumper is indeed very difficult.
Old 14th August 2018, 14:51   #17
BHPian

I had a word with my SA regarding the moisture issue and water accumulation. He said that I'll need to change both the fog lamp assemblies and they cost 1200 rs each with the bulb.
It's only been one year and three months since we took the car, and the parts are needing replacement.
I am beginning to doubt the quality of MS products now.
Old 14th August 2018, 20:42   #18
BHPian

Thanks for the post and the DIY. I recenty got the MGP fog lamps fitted to my Baleno Delta and to my dismay they too built up moisture from within.

This surprised me because it is an MGP so I did not expect such a result with them. It is almost the same as the previous Chinese Angel Eye fog lamps on my car.
Old 15th August 2018, 12:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneeraj View Post
I have a similar problem with one of the fog lamps on my Ford Fiesta Classic.
The design of the Ford bumper is very plain and does not have such housings to easily access the fog lamp cluster. To add to that, the wheel well cladding makes that area completely inaccessible to do such DIYs.

I had similar assumptions that using the fog lamps will help evaporate the mist inside. It works as well, but the mist comes back every monsoon.

I will take the car to the dealership or an accessory showroom to get this done. Opening up a Ford bumper is indeed very difficult.
Get it cleaned up before the rusting begins. Maybe cleaning the vent will solve the problem. Once you have opened the bumper get both the assemblies checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetakhouri View Post
Thanks for the post and the DIY. I recenty got the MGP fog lamps fitted to my Baleno Delta and to my dismay they too built up moisture from within.

This surprised me because it is an MGP so I did not expect such a result with them. It is almost the same as the previous Chinese Angel Eye fog lamps on my car.
Any idea if it's the lumax unit?
I have lumax unit in my car, I think all fog lamps assemblies provided by MS are of the same brand.
Since I am planning to replace it, any suggestions regarding it would be good.
francis_vaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 19:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_vaz View Post
Any idea if it's the lumax unit?
I have lumax unit in my car, I think all fog lamps assemblies provided by MS are of the same brand.
Since I am planning to replace it, any suggestions regarding it would be good.
I am not too sure but as far as I remember it is, as you said, a Lumax unit. The throw is ok considering that I am still on the stock H8 35w bulbs on it. With the normal headlights that my car has, it kind of blends in very well making the road immediately ahead visible. The fitting has just been very easy in the bumpers but the throw could have been a bit further away from the car, need to adjust that.

I was also evaluating the XP Micro but didn't want to invest 14k on it considering that while driving in Mumbai, it will go underwater someday and I don't want to lose out on a 14k item.

Also evaluated the Hella Premim Micro DE Lights . They are not exactly "fog lights" but because of their small size they could be attached to the bumpers easily. The reviews are also ok and Hella is known for making very durable products anyways.

You can definitely check these items out, or get a stock one, update the bulbs from an H8 to an H4 (with proper cutting of the holder, insulation of the edges to prevent moisture and relay based circuit) and let it roll.
puneetakhouri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 20:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetakhouri View Post
I am not too sure but as far as I remember it is, as you said, a Lumax unit. The throw is ok considering that I am still on the stock H8 35w bulbs on it. With the normal headlights that my car has, it kind of blends in very well making the road immediately ahead visible. The fitting has just been very easy in the bumpers but the throw could have been a bit further away from the car, need to adjust that.
Yes the throw is not that great to talk about, I have 80W halogens installed they are working well except for the assemblies.

Quote:
I was also evaluating the XP Micro but didn't want to invest 14k on it considering that while driving in Mumbai, it will go underwater someday and I don't want to lose out on a 14k item.
I was also in the same dilemma, but the cost hold me back, spending that much just for fog lights doesn't feel right to me.

Quote:
Also evaluated the Hella Premim Micro DE Lights . They are not exactly "fog lights" but because of their small size they could be attached to the bumpers easily. The reviews are also ok and Hella is known for making very durable products anyways.

You can definitely check these items out, or get a stock one, update the bulbs from an H8 to an H4 (with proper cutting of the holder, insulation of the edges to prevent moisture and relay based circuit) and let it roll.
Right now I am not willing to upgrade the lights, maybe just replace the assembly. There are some other brands with a lower cost, maybe give them a try.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks