Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2018, 12:49   #1
BHPian

DIY: Motorized rear screen for the Linea

My Linea T-Jet came with a pull up screen for the rear windshield. The main purpose was to reduce direct sunlight into the car, especially when there are passengers in the rear seat. I also found it useful to prevent glare from high beam freaks tailgating, during night drives.

However, sometimes, I like to lower the screen, during the day, especially in pleasant weather. Also, the screen does hamper a bit of visibility of the IRVM, during the day time, especially during rains.

Given that the screen was manual, this meant that if I needed to lower or raise it during a drive, I had to pull over stop and do it. Wouldn't it be nice to have a switch on the dashboard with which to raise and lower the screen as required?

Thus the thought of motorizing the screen was born. The manual mechanism is such, that it has a spring loaded cylinder in the parcel tray and two hooks attached to the headliner. So, you pull the screen up and hook it. When you unhook, the spring loaded cylinder winds the screen onto itself and retracts it into the parcel tray. So, my solution needs to be able to hold the screen up and have enough resistance to prevent the screen from winding itself down. Also, given that I have zero knowledge of electronics, wanted a simple enough solution.

So, I researched and then came up with a solution, which involves a geared 12V DC motor, a pulley, a 5 pin electric window switch, some wires and some thread.

Without further ado, will quickly share the details -

Parts used -

DIY: Motorized rear screen for the Linea-parts.jpg

Apart from the pictured parts, required length of automotive grade wires will be needed, of course.

My solution was this -
  1. Tap a fuse from the fuse box under the steering column
  2. Connect to the 5 pin switch - this helps reverse the direction of the motor revolution
  3. The motor winds the thread on to the pulley when raising the screen
  4. The motor rotates in reverse when lowering and the OE spring takes care of winding down the screen
  5. Draw ground from the OE ground provided in the foot well
  6. Route wires through the roof liner to the rear
  7. Attach the pulley to the motor shaft
  8. Mount the motor in the center of the frame under the parcel tray
  9. Drill a small hole directly above the pulley in the parcel tray
  10. Wind some strong thread (I used polyamide thread) around the pulley
  11. Route the thread through the hole in the parcel tray
  12. Loop around the hooks in the roof liner
  13. Secure them to the two spots in the rod that is on top of the OE curtain

Unfortunately I did not take any WIP pictures, but will be happy to answer questions about the install.

Now, I had to mount the switch somewhere within reach of the driver. This spot next to the OE console looked ideal. So, measured and cut out a rectangle for the switch, and mounted it like this -

DIY: Motorized rear screen for the Linea-switch.jpg

Connected and mounted everything as described in the list. The solution isn't the most elegant, but surely does the job. Here is a video of the functionality in action -

It doesn't stop automatically. So, I will have to watch how much I raise and lower. The thread is visible, if you look closely, but I am willing to live with it. My rear bumper is due for replacement. So, the rear camera is mounted on the headliner and the screen touches it and changes the position of the camera, when fully raised. It is just a temporary setback. I will be relocating the reverse camera to the bumper very soon.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 27th October 2018 at 10:12. Reason: Added text
PatchyBoy is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 07:25   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Motorized rear screen for the Linea

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the DIY Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 29th October 2018, 07:34   #3
BHPian

Nice. How did you figure out the motor that would meet your needs? Would you not have to know the torque required etc?
Old 29th October 2018, 09:07   #4
BHPian

Hey buddy, the DIY looks neat.
Since you said you are not able to make it stop automatically, here's a picture of what is known as a limit switch or also known as NO/NC (Normally open/ Normally close) switch.
You can fix this at the top where you want the screen to stop, and once the long silver clip is pressed the machine will stop.
Then you can reverse the direction using the switch on the dashboard and pull the screen down.

DIY: Motorized rear screen for the Linea-img_20181029_085606.jpg

Also, can you share from where you were able to get the mount for the motor. I wasn't aware something like that would be available, so I designed and fabricated a similar one for my BE project using SS304.

Last edited by francis_vaz : 29th October 2018 at 09:12.
francis_vaz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 17:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_vaz View Post
Hey buddy, the DIY looks neat.
Since you said you are not able to make it stop automatically, here's a picture of what is known as a limit switch or also known as NO/NC (Normally open/ Normally close) switch.
You can fix this at the top where you want the screen to stop, and once the long silver clip is pressed the machine will stop.
Then you can reverse the direction using the switch on the dashboard and pull the screen down.

Also, can you share from where you were able to get the mount for the motor. I wasn't aware something like that would be available, so I designed and fabricated a similar one for my BE project using SS304.
Thanks a lot for the tip about the limit switch. Will try to source one and fit. The motor and the mount were sourced from Robu.in
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks