Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2018, 19:05   #16
BHPian

re: DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
Will contact you incase of any help. Thanks again for the wonderful DIY.
Sure thing, post whatever queries you have over here, I'll be happy to help you with it.

Last edited by francis_vaz : 6th November 2018 at 19:10.
Old 6th November 2018, 23:15   #17
BHPian

re: DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_vaz View Post
Yes, it's a calculated risk that I am willing to take. The place where I have hidden this is away from direct sunlight and the temperatures there won't reach so high that can cause the Li-ion battery to become unstable and cause a fire hazard.
To be on a safer side, I will be checking the batteries every weekend to ensure there is no bulging or damage.
Also I am working on another rule that can monitor the phones battery temperature, once I am able to get it working, I'll share the results here.
Also, IIRC the Li-ion batteries catch fire only if there is a manufacturing defect which leads to a short circuit in the cell structure and atmospheric oxygen contributes to the reaction.

More than the phones battery, it is the powerbank that is at risk of explosion or fire due to its higher capacity. One of our bhp'ian car was damaged due to a powerbank catching fire due to summer heat. The powerbank was kept away from direct sun light, inside the closed storage box between the front seat and see what happened.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=15889 (Insurance claim after Powerbank explodes inside a car?)
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 23:36   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
More than the phones battery, it is the powerbank that is at risk of explosion or fire due to its higher capacity. One of our bhp'ian car was damaged due to a powerbank catching fire due to summer heat. The powerbank was kept away from direct sun light, inside the closed storage box between the front seat and see what happened.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=15889 (Insurance claim after Powerbank explodes inside a car?)
Thanks for sharing. After reading all about Li-ion batteries I am starting to worry a little.
While I was reading online I came across this page that has proved what the real cause of battery explosions is and heat is one of the factors that can cause it to happen, while maufacturing defects is the main reason for such explosions to happen.

https://www.consumerreports.org/safe...x-the-problem/

The post that you have shared, I have not gone through it completely, but the initial posts do not tell what brand the power bank was of. It maybe was of a cheaper quality or was abused and that lead to the fire hazard?

I am planning on making a completely isolated box, maybe with some insulation that will keep the heat away and also prevent such a disaster from happening.

Right now I am still checking the entire set-up at home, it is yet to be installed in the car, I will surely consider all these factors while making it permanent and if possible switch to another power source that will replace the power bank completely.

EDIT: Can someone share how the Li-ion battery in the newer Ciaz is supposed to be safe under such circumstances. It's located below the front passenger seat and obviously has a larger capacity than the power bank, as it can be used as an auxiliary battery to start the car in case the main battery dies.

Last edited by francis_vaz : 6th November 2018 at 23:56.
Old 7th November 2018, 00:09   #19
BHPian

Quote:
The post that you have shared, I have not gone through it completely, but the initial posts do not tell what brand the power bank was of. It maybe was of a cheaper quality or was abused and that lead to the fire hazard?
That was from a brand named Ambrane.

Quote:
EDIT: Can someone share how the Li-ion battery in the newer Ciaz is supposed to be safe under such circumstances. It's located below the front passenger seat and obviously has a larger capacity than the power bank, as it can be used as an auxiliary battery to start the car in case the main battery dies.
I drive an E2O which has a 8KWh Lion battery right under the front seats. These batteries have thermal cutouts and are purpose built for such uses. Even then there are reports of thermal runaways reported by e2o users with white smoke filling the cabin. These runaways did not cause fire though, but cant rule it out completely.

The normal power banks are built for indoor use and do not have the best protection circuits to isolate them from heat related damages. Even the power banks which claims to have thermal protection are protection circuits that stops charging/discharging when it crosses the threshold temperature. These protection circuits do not do anything at idle state when parked under direct sun.
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 00:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
That was from a brand named Ambrane.
Any idea if it gets the BIS certification to ensure that the power bank and the gadgets that are used to charge are safe from overcharging and short circuits and eventually prevent a hazard.
I have both Ambrane and Syska( the one I intend to use for this DIY) power banks and at first glance I can tell that the Syska one is better built, is heavier (assuming better quality cells) than the Ambrane one and has BIS and RoHS certification, while the Ambrane one doesn't get any of those. Also the Ambrane power bank is a year old, so older technology?
Is it possible maybe the lack of such certifications and lack of quality cells the fire took place?

Quote:
I drive an E2O which has a 8KWh Lion battery right under the front seats. These batteries have thermal cutouts and are purpose built for such uses. Even then there are reports of thermal runaways reported by e2o users with white smoke filling the cabin. These runaways did not cause fire though, but cant rule it out completely.
So, Li-ion batteries are never safe and yet they are the only alternatives that are available and one is always at risk when around one.

Quote:
The normal power banks are built for indoor use and do not have the best protection circuits to isolate them from heat related damages. Even the power banks which claims to have thermal protection are protection circuits that stops charging/discharging when it crosses the threshold temperature. These protection circuits do not do anything at idle state when parked under direct sun.
So the only thing that can be done is prevent the battery from heating up, I guess another DIY needs to be done to improve the safety aspect of this current DIY.
Old 7th November 2018, 07:01   #21
BHPian

Thank you for sharing this DIY guide!

Since the launch of Nexa Connect by Maruti Suzuki & coming across other small scale solutions, I wondered what made its cost so skyrocketing. It could be a simple solution by minor tweaks in the software, a regular network connection and using the free storage on Google Drive. But, I just lacked the skill and the risk involved in modifying the system files put me away.

But here it comes, a well documented, step-by-step guide for noobs like us, providing a perfect solution, that is cheap and simple.

Looking forward to link this solution to OBD port and eventually to the Smart Home network !!!

P.S. For the concern of Li-Ion battery, it's completely safe to leave the battery inside closed car under the hot sun, if kept away from being exposed to direct sunlight, under the seat, for example. The temperatures in such areas, hardly cross 60 deg C. in peak summers. (Safe operating range is usually 80 deg C.)

Last edited by Ashir : 7th November 2018 at 07:03.
Ashir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 08:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi, let me just add that it’d be better if you have a higher capacity phone and leave the power bank out of this setup, left in a car on a hot day, it is a fire risk.

As the guy whose Scorpio was stolen in the thread that you quoted, I got an Autocop gps installed and they say that has a 24 hour backup if the electricity supply is disconnected to it. The associated but rather clumsily designed phone app also provides car status (parked, moving etc) as well as a map and approximate address.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 09:16   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashir View Post
Thank you for sharing this DIY guide!
You are welcome!

Quote:
Since the launch of Nexa Connect by Maruti Suzuki & coming across other small scale solutions, I wondered what made its cost so skyrocketing. It could be a simple solution by minor tweaks in the software, a regular network connection and using the free storage on Google Drive. But, I just lacked the skill and the risk involved in modifying the system files put me away.
The codes that I have mentioned above have been tested on my phone, so a crash is unlikely to happen. All that suffering has been done by my phone.
Since you are using terminal emulator, it'll at the most cause a reboot incase anything goes wrong.

Quote:
Looking forward to link this solution to OBD port and eventually to the Smart Home network !!!
I am also thinking the same, to get a OBD scanner and maybe link all that data online, since I already have a hotspot running in the car, sharing that data won't be much of a problem.

Quote:
P.S. For the concern of Li-Ion battery, it's completely safe to leave the battery inside closed car under the hot sun, if kept away from being exposed to direct sunlight, under the seat, for example. The temperatures in such areas, hardly cross 60 deg C. in peak summers. (Safe operating range is usually 80 deg C.)
Yes, it's at temperatures above 100-130 degrees when the thermal runaway begins and later it causes white smoke, followed by a fire hazard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Hi, let me just add that it’d be better if you have a higher capacity phone and leave the power bank out of this setup, left in a car on a hot day, it is a fire risk.
Adding a larger battery capacity phone will add only a hour or two's battery backup to the existing setup. If I disable the shock sensor the same setup can work for around a day and few more hours given that the phone doesn't enter deep sleep and prevents the apps from getting launched.

Quote:
As the guy whose Scorpio was stolen in the thread that you quoted, I got an Autocop gps installed and they say that has a 24 hour backup if the electricity supply is disconnected to it.The associated but rather clumsily designed phone app also provides car status (parked, moving etc) as well as a map and approximate address.
Honestly speaking, it was your car theft incident that made me undertake this DIY.
Since you said you had a GPS tracker installed inside the car, can you share why you were unable to track it?
The power bank is installed to make sure the tracker can work even if the car is not used for 3-4 days straight.
I had purchased a tracker from AliExpress, but later cancelled the order and decided to make one after looking at the app interface and it's reliability.

Last edited by francis_vaz : 7th November 2018 at 09:17.
francis_vaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 09:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honestly speaking, it was your car theft incident that made me undertake this DIY.
Since you said you had a GPS tracker installed inside the car, can you share why you were unable to track it?.
Sorry I wasn’t clear. I got the Autocop for my other car after the theft. I am picking up a replacement for the Scorpio and will install one in it as well.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 09:46   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Sorry I wasn’t clear. I got the Autocop for my other car after the theft. I am picking up a replacement for the Scorpio and will install one in it as well.
Can you share what kind of battery it uses to last for about a day? Also is it hardwired to the engine so remote ignition control is possible?
Old 7th November 2018, 09:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you share what kind of battery it uses to last for about a day? Also is it hardwired to the engine so remote ignition control is possible?
Autocop Trackpro - there’s a feature list here

http://www.mahindrasmarttracker.com/products.aspx
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 00:09   #27
BHPian

Woow, such detailed DIY with proper screen shots.
I have been using an rooted android phone for obd2 data collection and updating me with sms about cars status if it has not been started for more than 24hours. But this tracking is just awesome. I did find Google map and find my phone tracking useful ,however if you have recommendations for other 3rd party apps do let us know. Normal gpx data collection and other obd2 status data gets emailed to me.
Also there is an elm327 that is USB based can power the phone + pull obd2 data. Its bit risky and will drain car battery but it can bypass the battery pack and even collect obd2 data when the car is powered off.
I have exploited my old android phone quite a lot but the limitations are endless. I mostly use Mule from LamaLab to automate things in android but your explanation makes thing easier. Will try the same in Mule with flowcharts ,lets see how things go.
I am desperately looking for remote ignition and AC on logic throw via Mule but no success so far. I am assuming the ECU needs to support that as well ?
Thanks again for sharing .

Last edited by ARAY : 8th November 2018 at 00:15.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 00:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
Woow, such detailed DIY with proper screen shots.
I have been using an rooted android phone for obd2 data collection and updating me with sms about cars status if it has not been started for more than 24hours. But this tracking is just awesome. I did find Google map and find my phone tracking useful ,however if you have recommendations for other 3rd party apps do let us know. Normal gpx data collection and other obd2 status data gets emailed to me.
Also there is an elm327 that is USB based can power the ohone + pull obd2 data. Its bit risky and will drain car battery but it can bypass the battery pack and wven collect obd2 data when the car is powered off.
I have exploited my old android phone quite a lot but the limitations are endless. I mostly use Mule from LamaLab to automate things in android but your explanation makes thing easier. Will try the same in Mule with flowcharts ,lets see how things go.
Thanks again for sharing .
Can you please share all the information regarding this, I am trying hard to get the speed monitoring to work but it seems very difficult without actually making an Android application. I am not that good with coding so it's difficult for me.
Can you share the OBD scanner details that sends you the details of the vehicle.
I'll be really happy to buy an OBD scanner that can share the details from the car directly to my phone.
I have PM you my mail ID you can share this information over that as well.

Last edited by francis_vaz : 8th November 2018 at 00:31.
francis_vaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 13:14   #29
BHPian

Wonderful thread!!
Just curious though, can't we make the same set of rules using something like IFTTT or Tasker? I believe those also provide means to create the same set of actions for similar inputs.

Cheers,
Abhi
shady8701 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 15:57   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady8701 View Post
Wonderful thread!!
Just curious though, can't we make the same set of rules using something like IFTTT or Tasker? I believe those also provide means to create the same set of actions for similar inputs.

Cheers,
Abhi
Thank you!
Yes you can definitely use them, I am not sure about IFTTT but Tasker does offer a lot more functionality and a lot more features. The only downside of Tasker is the programming, which is complicated and makes things a lot difficult with the variables and stuff.

You can give it a try since all the codes that you will need are available here.
Do share if you are able to get it working.

Last edited by francis_vaz : 9th November 2018 at 15:58.
francis_vaz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks