Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2018, 22:43   #1
BHPian

DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3

We all love our cars, it is always heartbreaking to see something happen to it, be it a scratch or even a mishap and God forbid things like, your car getting stolen. It can be one of the worst nightmares you can have.
Going through the posts on the forum regarding the immobilizer codes cracked and videos showing how easy it is crack open the keyless security system always sends a chill down the spine and I am always worried if my car would be a target of theft.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...s-cracked.html (8 Scorpio mHawks stolen-immobilizer codes cracked!!!)

There are car trackers available and they do work as advertised, some even offer engine cut-off option. But they have a very small battery capacity and the one's with a larger battery capacity cost around 4-5K rupees. They have an annual subscription fee, which either includes the charges for the data services or needs to be paid extra along with the subscription charges. Also, not all of these these trackers can monitor your car activity, say if your car is being towed, you will realize it only after you come to the parking lot and notice your car missing.

Since I had my old Android phone lying around, I decided to put it to a good use.
So here's a DIY that can help you turn your android phone into a dedicated car tracker, can also help you monitor if your car has been broken into, and if needed can also be used as a WiFi hotspot.

Disclaimer: The sole purpose of this DIY is to ensure additional security to make the car more secure. There are various factors that depend on the success rate of this DIY but I have tried my best to make it as fool proof as possible and ensure that it works as desired. I do not take any responsibility of your mobile phone if it crashes due to file modifications. Please be advised I have tried this on my 4 year old phone which is a Sony Xperia M (C1904). There is a possibility that not all phones will be compatible with this DIY. I'll try my best to help you as far as possible.

Last edited by francis_vaz : 5th November 2018 at 00:19.
francis_vaz is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 00:25   #2
BHPian

DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & Wifi-Hotspot using an Android Phone.

Here's an overview of how the entire setup is going to be connected, the phone will be connected to a power bank via USB. The power bank will be charged by connecting it to a hardwire kit that will convert the 12V from the car to the required 5V 2.5A.
The power bank will charge only when the car is running and it will stop charging when the car is turned off. The phone used, is programmed to automatically charge from the power bank when the battery falls below 25% and stop charging when reaches 90%. Thus the phones battery won't be over charged and this entire cycle will be automatic.
To make things more convenient the phone is programmed to send a text message if the battery level falls below 24%, stating that the power bank is not performing as expected or there is some issue with the charging.

The above mentioned steps are the most time consuming one's as it took me a lot of time to find out the perfect file that needs to be edited in the phone to ensure that the phone stops the power completely and does not charge at all even if the power bank supplied power, before the power bank entered hibernation.

Now coming to the tracking part, Google offers a track my phone option which allows you to locate your android phone either from the app "Find my device" or using the website when signed in using your google account, given that mobile data and location are enabled and "Find my device" has been activated in the Device Administrator. We will use this exact same method to track the phone and eventually the car to pin point it's location. We also need a SIM card with data service, preferably the unlimited type plans that cost around 300-400 bucks for a subscription of three months.

Now to ensure that your car lets you know if it's being broken into or being towed or someone has tried to damage it, I have configured the phone's acceleration sensor to measure the deviations in the sensor readings. If there is a 1% deviation in the sensor's readings, it will send a text message stated "Shock detected" to my phone. If this keeps happening I'll get a text message every two seconds every time a shock is felt by the car. Thus I'll be alarmed if someone is trying to mess with the car.
Yes I know, you are thinking what about when I am driving the car.
So to prevent your inbox from getting full, the Shock trigger can be activated and deactivated by sending text messages with specific texts like "Shock on" and "Shock off" from your phone to the programmed phone to enable and disable the shock detection. So you park your car, send a message from your phone to start the shock sensor and when you come back another text message to disable it before you leave.
Activities like, door open and close, boot open and close, hood open and close can be monitored.

Now the entertainment part, who doesn't like to be online on the move. So while we are at it, I decided to add another trigger, also text message based, that will turn the WiFi hotspot ON and OFF on the programmed phone depending on the content of the message.

So without any further ado, let's begin.

Required material:
  • Rooted Android phone, preferably with 5.X.X (lollipop) operating OS with original battery in good condition.
  • Dashcam hardwire kit. (Micro USB)
  • Portable power bank preferably 10000mAh.
  • and some patience!!
The first step to begin with is a rooted phone, all android phones can be rooted, only the procedure gets a little tricky as the OS goes to a higher number. I have recommended a 5.X.X OS if you wish to use the hotspot feature. If you don't want to use the hotspot any OS above 5.X.X can be used given your phone is rooted. My phone is running on OS 5.1.1.
To root your phone, you can search on XDA developers forum or Google our phone name with root in front of it.
Once you have a rooted phone you have to install the apps I have mentioned below. All of these apps mentioned require root to work. All these apps are available on the Google Play store.
  1. Automateit PRO. (v4.0.227)
  2. Automateit Hotpsot Plugin.
  3. Automateit Shell plugin.
  4. CPU Awake. (v2.1)
  5. Memory lock.
  6. Terminal Emulator.

Once you have successfully installed all the apps. Open Automateit PRO, on the top left corner, click on the hamburger style menu button and click on refresh plugins. This will activate the Hotspot and the Shell plugin. To make sure the plugins are active open both the hotspot and shell plugin app and close them. While in the shell plugin app tap the spanner icon and allow root permissions when the dialog box pops up.
Once inside the app, delete all the default rules and click on the "+" button inside the my rules tab.
Automateit PRO allows you to make rules that trigger under conditions provided by the user and makes changes to your device as required.

Rule I: Disable phone from charging when battery reaches 90%.

After you click the "+" button, you will be shown a list of triggers, out of which you need to select the battery level trigger. After selecting the trigger, enter 90 as value in the text box and select above or equal from the option. This is your trigger set to disable charging. Click OK or next and you will come to the action tab. Scroll to the end of the list and you will find a "Shell Command Action" option, select that.

To make things easier open Terminal Emulator application and type "su" (without quotes) in the window. Grant root permissions when the dialog box appears.
Type in the codes from 1-6 one by one while the phone is connected to the wall charger and is charging. Hit enter key on the keyboard once you are done typing the code and see if the charging stops. If it does, stop, else try with the next code.

Note: The codes given below should work with most of the phones, you can try each of them out. If it doesn't work than either your phone is incompatible or the system doesn't allow you to modify the file. Please enter the text as typed below without the quotes, with proper spacing.
Try the codes below and check which one works fine for you.

Code 1: "echo 0 > /sys/class/hw_power/charger/charge_data/enable_charger"

Code 2: "echo 1 > /sys/module/pm8921_charger/parameters/disabled"

Code 3: "echo 0 > /sys/class/power_supply/bq2589x_charger/enable_charging"

Code 4: "echo 1 > /sys/class/power_supply/battery/input_suspend"

Code 5: "echo 1 > /sys/class/power_supply/battery/store_mode"

Code 6: "echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/battery/ChargerEnable"

Once you have obtained the code which disables charging, come back to Automateit app and select the shell command trigger, a page will show up with a check box, saying "Check to run commands as root", click in the Check box.
Below this, is a text box where you enter the command that disabled charging. Once done, click next and enter a rule name and hit save on the top right corner.
The disable charging rule is now active.

DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103114846.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103114852.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103114859.png

Here's a screenshot from the Ampere app showing that the AC power supply has been plugged in, but the battery isn't charging as the battery capacity isn't below 25%.
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103210111.png

Rule II: Enable phone to charge when battery reaches 25%.

To enable charging you have to do the similar process as rule I with modified codes. Again try the below mentioned codes in Terminal Emulator app once you have been successful in disabling the charging, while the phone is connected to the wall charger.

If code 1 from rule I worked in disabling the charging then code 1 from rule II will enable the charging.

Code 1: "echo 1 > /sys/class/hw_power/charger/charge_data/enable_charger"

Code 2: "echo 0 > /sys/module/pm8921_charger/parameters/disabled"

Code 3: "echo 1 > /sys/class/power_supply/bq2589x_charger/enable_charging"

Code 4: "echo 0 > /sys/class/power_supply/battery/input_suspend"

Code 5: "echo 0 > /sys/class/power_supply/battery/store_mode"

Code 6: "echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/battery/ChargerEnable"

DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195418.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195426.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195431.png

Once you have the code, go to Automatieit app and type it in the box using the same battery level trigger, which is now set to activate when battery level falls below 25%.
Now you should have two different rules, with two different tasks.

Here all the hard work ends!!

Once you have successfully enabled the above two rules, you can use your phone as a tracker and not worry about the battery draining as it'll charge and discharge itself as and when required.
Now to make it fool proof we need to first make sure the power bank does it's task. So I made two more rules, with the same battery level trigger but with different actions, one which would send a text message when the battery level falls below 24% and other that would send a text message if the battery went above 91%.

DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195451.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195518.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195523.png

Since we are dealing with lithium-ion batteries, I made another rule which will again send a text message every Saturday at a specified time to check the portable battery condition and the phone.
The app is self explanatory so I'll just add screenshots of the rules.

DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195845.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195850.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195854.png

Tracking the car:

This is by far the easiest of the lot, as you just need to have data and location services enabled and the GPS set to high accuracy. The phone you wish to use should be logged into your google account. Also make sure to enable "Find my device" in device administrator.

Now just login into Google and type "Find my device" you will have a map displaying the current location of the phone. This also works with the app, given you have logged in with the same account you use on your primary phone. Below is a screenshot taken from my OP3 which shows two devices, since both of them are logged in from the same account.
The accuracy is somewhere between ~100-200m, although that completely depends on how fast the GPS locks and how well is the signal transmitted.

DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103191524.jpg
The tracking part ends here.

Last edited by francis_vaz : 5th November 2018 at 00:33.
francis_vaz is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 20:36   #3
BHPian

re: DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & Wifi-hotspot using an Android phone

Setting up the shock sensor:

Now to enable the shock sensor, open Automateit and click on the '+' sign to add a new rule.
From the list of triggers, select "Sensor Trigger". In the next menu from the drop-down list select the Acceleration Sensor. Select sensor state as Face Up. Select the sensitivity to one step above zero i.e 1%. Set sampling rate to Fastest. Set time required to set trigger as 1 second.
Click next and set the action to send a text message to a specific phone number, here you can mention what the text message body has to contain and what number you want to receive on.
Hit next, give the rule a name and hit save.

DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195658.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195706.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195709.png

Now to enable and disable this shock sensor rule, make two new rules, that trigger when a text message is sent from your phone to the programmed phone, with a specific text like "Shock on" or "Shock off".

DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195722.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195741.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195752.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195802.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195821.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195828.png

Once done test the phone by touching it, and it will send a text message to your phone with the message you had typed in the action menu.
The shock sensor part ends here.

Setting up the hotspot:

Make sure you have installed the hotspot plugin from playstore. Also for this feature to work, you need to be on OS 5.0 .
Click on the "+" button and add a trigger to be activated when a specific text message is received. After the trigger is set, click next and in the action tab scroll to the bottom and select the hotspot plugin. Next click on what task you need to perform, either ON or OFF.

DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195536.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195542.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195545.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195556.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195559.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195601.png
The hotspot part ends here.

Screenshots with the triggers in action during the testing phase:
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181105000152.jpg
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181105000221.jpg

Important points:
+ Once you are done, test the phone extensively for at least a day or two and check if the rules are activated as the triggers are set.
+ Make sure the phone automatically discharges and charges as the battery level falls.
+ I have activated the unlimited data, SMS and calling plan on the SIM card in the programmed phone, if you plan to implement a similar DIY I'll recommend a similar plan.
+ Make sure to take power from an output which stops power when the car is turned OFF, so that the portable power bank will get time to discharge.
+ The phone needs to be fixed to a surface inside the car to ensure the sensor reads the shocks.
+ If you can hang the phone in some secured place the sensitivity of the sensor will be more.
+ Make sure you hide the phone in some not so obvious places like under the seat or in the boot.
+ Due to the doze mode in android there is a possibility that the phone may not send text messages once the phone enters sleep mode.
To solve this problem open the CPU awake app and copy the settings as shown below in the screenshot and hit activate.
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181103195926.png
+ To make sure the Automateit app is always in memory and not closed, open the Memory Lock app and lock the Automateit PRO app.
+ Once you lock the phone, press the power key and keep the screen ON while on the lock-screen, the app configuration above will ensure the screen won't sleep and there won't be any delay in the triggers.
+ Because we have made the phone to stay awake all the time, the battery will discharge faster, this means that both the phone and the power bank will have enough time to charge and discharge themselves.
+ I have not mentioned from where I have taken the power supply, or where I have mounted the phone due to obvious reasons.
+ I have also added a reboot rule to reboot the phone in case there is some problem with the phone.
+ The link to the hardwire kit used is given below, be sure to check Micro USB type:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC12...31ff4c4dWrnIuf

+ The link to the power bank used:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

# The step mentioned below is completely optional and is not recommended unless you are familiar with Xposed Framework.#

I have done this additional step to disable power menu completely from the lockscreen, so that the phone cannot be turned off, without unlocking it.

To disable power menu from lock screen, install xposed framework on your programmed phone and download the module mentioned below:
  • Advanced Power Menu +.

Copy the settings from the screenshots given below.

DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181104195401.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181104195351.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181104195415.png
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181104195422.png

This is how the power menu is now displayed on the lock screen.
DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181104192802.png

Since my phone is running a custom firmware, I was able to disable some important quick settings from the lock screen.
Below is a screenshot from the lock screen.

DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3-screenshot_20181104193528.png

Last but not least, Thank You for bearing with me through this long DIY.

Last edited by francis_vaz : 5th November 2018 at 00:46.
francis_vaz is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 06:58   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
benbsb29 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 07:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wow!

Undertaking a hardware-software hybrid DIY is one thing. Documenting it at every step and presenting the same in a noob friendly manner is another. You have excelled in doing both of them, congratulations!

Just wondering whether you have factored in the danger of leaving two batteries working 24/7 in a closed (hidden ), often parked under the sun car. If that potential time bomb can somehow be disarmed, this DIY will certainly be an easy way of adding an additional lock and tracker to our cars.

Thanks for sharing.
dailydriver is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 08:33   #6
BHPian

re: DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone

Hats off to your efforts. You really made it look easy for a newbie. This is an innovative use for an unused android phone. This is not just a tracker but provides wifi hotspot as well which may not be possible in commercial trackers. Costwise I feel it will not be cheaper as compared to services by car companies but you get other features like wifi.
findviru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 09:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Just wondering whether you have factored in the danger of leaving two batteries working 24/7 in a closed (hidden ), often parked under the sun car. If that potential time bomb can somehow be disarmed, this DIY will certainly be an easy way of adding an additional lock and tracker to our cars.

Thanks for sharing.
Exactly! Lithium ion batteries and heat do not go too well together. Its why good car dash cams now come with super capacitor instead of batteries.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 09:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Wow!

Undertaking a hardware-software hybrid DIY is one thing. Documenting it at every step and presenting the same in a noob friendly manner is another. You have excelled in doing both of them, congratulations!
Thank you!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Exactly! Lithium ion batteries and heat do not go too well together. Its why good car dash cams now come with super capacitor instead of batteries.
Yes, it's a calculated risk that I am willing to take. The place where I have hidden this is away from direct sunlight and the temperatures there won't reach so high that can cause the Li-ion battery to become unstable and cause a fire hazard.
To be on a safer side, I will be checking the batteries every weekend to ensure there is no bulging or damage.
Also I am working on another rule that can monitor the phones battery temperature, once I am able to get it working, I'll share the results here.
Also, IIRC the Li-ion batteries catch fire only if there is a manufacturing defect which leads to a short circuit in the cell structure and atmospheric oxygen contributes to the reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by findviru View Post
Hats off to your efforts. You really made it look easy for a newbie. This is an innovative use for an unused android phone. This is not just a tracker but provides wifi hotspot as well which may not be possible in commercial trackers. Costwise I feel it will not be cheaper as compared to services by car companies but you get other features like wifi.
It is cheaper if you have an old phone lying around, the total cost for this DIY came up to 1000 rupees which includes only the power bank and the hardwire kit. Subscription charges will depend on the plan you are willing to take.

Last edited by francis_vaz : 5th November 2018 at 10:00.
francis_vaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 10:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

re: DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_vaz View Post
Since I had my old Android phone lying around, I decided to put it to a good use.
So here's a DIY that can help you turn your android phone into a dedicated car tracker, can also help you monitor if your car has been broken into, and if needed can also be used as a WiFi hotspot.
What a nifty DIY there. Most of us have some old phone lying around and it looks easy enough for a DIY.

I'm using an Autocop tracking system in one of my cars and suffice to say, what you have done covers 99% of that at a far lesser price. One also gets a WiFi hotspot inside the car.

I have one query though. Can you eliminate the need of a power bank completely? I suppose if a car is used every alternate day, having a phone with a larger battery ~2000+ mAh should suffice. Also, is there a way to connect the phone to ignition by which we can disable car from starting?

My Final Year project was similar one though based on an Microcontroller and a GSM and GPS module. It worked and thanks to low power consumption, even a 1500 mAh battery was enough to last 5-6 days. Now, I'm planning to replicate the same using a Raspberry pi.

Cheers.
blackwasp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 11:17   #10
BHPian

re: DIY - Car Tracker, Activity Monitor & WiFi-hotspot using an Android phone - new update on page 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I have one query though. Can you eliminate the need of a power bank completely? I suppose if a car is used every alternate day, having a phone with a larger battery ~2000+ mAh should suffice.
Since we are disabling wake locks the phone's battery drains twice as much faster. The phone I have used has a 1700mAh, but the phones battery falls to 25% in about 5-6 hours. So a portable power bank is a must.

Quote:
Also, is there a way to connect the phone to ignition by which we can disable car from starting?
There is a way by which it can be done, but that will require a arduno or a raspberry pi module that can be used to receive a wireless command using either Bluetooth or NFC from the programmed phone and then the arduno or raspberry pi can be programmed to cut off the ignition system.
francis_vaz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 12:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_vaz View Post
So here's a DIY that can help you turn your android phone into a dedicated car tracker, can also help you monitor if your car has been broken into, and if needed can also be used as a WiFi hotspot.[/b][/i]
That is one awesome DIY ! Talk about effectively giving years worth of extra life to our outdated but usable Android phones. I know it seems like a really dumb question, but if I choose to not opt for the shock detection, will it hamper other features ? Also is there a way we can monitor the speed at which vehicle is driven ?
kraken is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 12:58   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
That is one awesome DIY ! Talk about effectively giving years worth of extra life to our outdated but usable Android phones. I know it seems like a really dumb question, but if I choose to not opt for the shock detection, will it hamper other features ? Also is there a way we can monitor the speed at which vehicle is driven ?
Thank you!
Yes you can individually use any of them, but the battery charging and discharging rule is important, it cannot be skipped.
I am able to get the speed on the programmed phone, but getting that data shared to my phone is something I am working on.
It is possible, but right now I am not 100% sure if it'll work as I am expecting it to be.
francis_vaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 08:58   #13
BHPian

If the hardware and software requirements are simple - wonder why car makers don't offer this setup!

I will consider this for my year-end holiday project idea! Thanks for sharing.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 09:58   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
If the hardware and software requirements are simple - wonder why car makers don't offer this setup!
Exactly what I am thinking. Just imagine the drop in rate of car thefts, given the system is fool proof and not hackable like the keyless entry systems.
It can definitely be done, but I guess we will have to wait some more years.

Last edited by francis_vaz : 6th November 2018 at 09:59.
Old 6th November 2018, 15:30   #15
BHPian

Wonderful DIY francis.
Very useful indeed.
I also have few unused old android mobiles. Will try to make use of them.
Will contact you incase of any help. Thanks again for the wonderful DIY.
coolmind is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed