Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2018, 18:48   #1
BHPian

Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!

Tata Tiago :- Tigor Headlamp Retrofit and Wiring

Ever since the time we got the car home, the biggest fly in the ointment was the pathetic headlights. Just like any H4 based headlight, this one too was absolutely mediocre. The light throw with the low beams was barely visible on the road and high beams were just er….high.

Just as with any H4 based headlight, the low beam would turn off with the high beams engaged meaning there would be zero foreground lighting when you engage the high beams. This meant that, at highway speeds, there wouldn’t be any light in front of the car and considering how these lights are designed-the high beam would light the sky and not the road in the front. Before we made a decision to upgrade to the Tigor’s headlamps, we did get the headlights focussed/adjusted and there was absolutely no improvement. HID’s and LED’s were ruled out since there are already enough morons driving with these in their reflector headlights blinding everyone else on the road.

Pros and Cons of this upgrade:

Pros

1. Dedicated low beam projector and high beam reflector (significant improvement in road lighting)
2. No wires tampered with. Your warranty stays intact
3. Follow-me lights work as intended
4. The lights lend a new look to your ride

Cons

1. Small wiring work is required to make low+high work together when the high beam is engaged.
2. Headlamp levelling requires an additional wire harness from the Indica. (I got this from a scrap car lying near my neighbourhood garage). This is because the plugs (for the levelling) on the Tigor’s headlamp assembly are different from the one in the Tiago’s.

Things needed for this upgrade:

1. Headlamp Assembly Part nos and price:-
- 542554400101 - LH Assembly - ₹4350/-
- 542554400102 - RH Assembly - ₹4350/- (both excluding GST)
After taxes, the total would come to somewhere around 10.8k. (Dont remember the exact figure now)
2. A standard automotive 4-pin relay.
3. Wires
4. O-ring to clamp to the chassis
5. Fuse Tap
6. Some time.

Headlight specifications:

1. OEM Tiago Headlight - H4 bulb (for both Low and High)

2. OEM Tigor Headlight
- Halogen Projector for low beam - H11
- Reflector for high beam - H1

Fitting and Wiring

The OEM Tigor headlight is a perfect fit in the Tiago. Even the wire harness is the same. So no issues on that front. Two issues did arise when I did the fitting:-

From factory, the car’s wiring harness is programmed to run with H4 bulbs which means we have a problem of the low beam turning OFF with the high beams turned ON. This meant that every time, we switch to high beam, the low beam projector would turn off thereby taking us back to square one. Solution: Use a 4-pin SPST relay.

Headlight leveling would not work since the couplers are different. The headlight leveling equipment (actuators) are built-in to the headlight, but their couplings being different meant that it is currently not being used. I used an old leveling coupler from an Indicab headlight. Managed to source this from my neighbourhood garage that had a writeoff Indicab lying at their yard.

Low beams + High Beams together: You need to us a standard 4-pin headlight relay that is available everywhere. I You could get it off Amazon or AliExpress too.

The 4-pin Relay is wired as follows:

pin 85 - Ground (to chassis)
pin 86 - High Beam Fuse Tap
pin 87 - Low Beam Fuse Tap
pin 30 - 12V from Battery

The need to use a fuse tap means, we don't need to splice factory wires. This makes it a completely reversible modification. Incase you need to go back to stock, you can unplug the relay, replace the fuses, fit your old tiago headlamp back and you're good to go.

When LOW beams are ON, power goes to pin 87 turning on the low beam (relay does nothing). When HIGH beams are switched ON, the power goes to pin 86 (relay turns on the high beam while pin 30 sends power to the low beams, thereby keeping the low beams ON).

Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-bbd7a463387e48eda32e2e6271e6e2d6.jpg
OEM Tigor Headlight. You can procure these from any Tata After Sales and Service centre. Just give them the part numbers and they’ll procure it for you. No questions asked. The bulbs are included with the headlights. Ours came with Philips standard bulbs. I got ours from Concorde Motors Kudlu Gate (Next to Tafe Access) on Hosur Road.

Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-img_7738-2.jpg
Headlight pin out on the new Tigor headlamp assembly

Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-img_7777.jpg
A simple wiring schematic as to what needs to be done.

Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-snapseed.jpg
Picture showing the relay, the fuse taps, the power connection (to 12V +ve of battery) and the wire to ground (connected to chassis)

Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-a7c047a02fd349be9b3af09d32f5f3d8.jpg
Ground wire using an O-ring bolted to chassis (which is the best ground connection)

Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-47a268bb1d194db4a191ae73a1479771.jpg
Fuse box cover put back on. As good as OEM. Can't even find the wiring modifications.

Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-img_7733.jpg
Final fitment.

Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-20b0f2115ff544bca53ff3d1135c12c7.jpg
Low beam cutoff picture from the Tigor headlamps.

More output shots to follow.

Regards,
Dr. Aniketh

P.S: Special thanks to SunnyBoi

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th November 2018 at 15:27. Reason: Removing the left separator symbol (please type into the editor directly) + moving to a separate thread. Thanks!
drhoneycake is offline   (73) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 15:01   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post

2. Headlamp levelling requires an additional wire harness from the Indica. (I got this from a scrap car lying near my neighbourhood garage). This is because the plugs (for the levelling) on the Tigor’s headlamp assembly are different from the one in the Tiago’s. 

SO this is a mandatory part for this modification to work with headlamp leveling right?
Old 28th November 2018, 15:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!

Thanks for sharing drhoneycake. Moving your post to a dedicated thread. There maybe owners who're looking to upgrade their Tiago headlamps.

So the Tiago JTP comes with these headlamps? Neat!

Quote:
1. Headlamp Assembly Part nos and price:-
- 542554400101 - LH Assembly - ₹4350/-
- 542554400102 - RH Assembly - ₹4350/- (both excluding GST)
That's cheap for a projector headlamp!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th November 2018 at 15:42.
Gannu_1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 18:39   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice swap. Compared to the headlights of the Tiago, the Tigor has a superb design, and no doubt it will be functional too. Why dont you consider changing the low beam to HID? That will give an even spread on the low beam and will look cool too. But the current output is pretty good too, guess its to do with those Phillips bulbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
True. Will be a clean swap for those who own the Tiago in case they are looking for an upgrade and wont punch a hole in the pocket
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 23:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
SO this is a mandatory part for this modification to work with headlamp leveling right?
Not at all. Initially I just left it as it is. But my OCD for not completing the retrofit meant I had to connect the leveller. You need to use the levelling plug from an indica that has low+high headlight configuration.

Honestly, I’ve never ever used the levelling on any of my cars. It stays at the lowest position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Thanks for sharing drhoneycake. Moving your post to a dedicated thread. There maybe owners who're looking to upgrade their Tiago headlamps.

So the Tiago JTP comes with these headlamps? Neat!

Sir, The JTP comes with the same headlamps albeit - the facelifted tigor one’s with the chrome border.

It’s cheap propably because it’s a low beam-only halogen projector. No DRL circuits, no solenoids for high/low function, no funky shrouds or chrome garnishes etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Nice swap. Compared to the headlights of the Tiago, the Tigor has a superb design, and no doubt it will be functional too. Why dont you consider changing the low beam to HID? That will give an even spread on the low beam and will look cool too. But the current output is pretty good too, guess its to do with those Phillips bulbs.

True. Will be a clean swap for those who own the Tiago in case they are looking for an upgrade and wont punch a hole in the pocket
I did think about putting in an HID bulb into the low beam projector, but the fact is this car never sees the highway and it is used by my wife for her office commute on the ORR. I felt this much lighting is more than adequate for her use. My Verna does the rest of the duties.

I do have the old Tiago headlight all opened up for a Bi-LED retrofit, not finding time to complete it.

Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-160a2590344643a0967b82667742c1ef.jpeg

Last edited by drhoneycake : 28th November 2018 at 23:51.
drhoneycake is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 09:12   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not at all. Initially I just left it as it is. But my OCD for not completing the retrofit meant I had to connect the leveller. You need to use the levelling plug from an indica that has low+high headlight configuration.

Honestly, I’ve never ever used the levelling on any of my cars. It stays at the lowest position.

So, if I understand correctly, I need to get this leveling plug from Indica to make the headlamp leveler to work on the Tigor headlamp?
Old 1st December 2018, 09:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
So, if I understand correctly, I need to get this leveling plug from Indica to make the headlamp leveler to work on the Tigor headlamp?
Yes sir, if you want the headlamp levelling switch on the dashboard to work, you need this levelling plug.

Else you can use the adjustment screws located at the back of headlamp assembly to level your beams
Old 1st December 2018, 10:35   #8
Team-BHP Support

Pretty good install. My Tiago is anticipated to be only for city use so I don't see the immediate need for an upgrade. Warranty is my other concern.

Quick question: if the rumored XZ+ does indeed come with projector headlights, will it make the retrofit into other Tiagos easier?
Old 11th December 2018, 12:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Tata Tiago :- Tigor Headlamp Retrofit and Wiring

When LOW beams are ON, power goes to pin 87 turning on the low beam (relay does nothing). When HIGH beams are switched ON, the power goes to pin 86 (relay turns on the high beam while pin 30 sends power to the low beams, thereby keeping the low beams ON).

With the modified wiring, if you flash the high beam does the low beam also turn on?
Old 12th December 2018, 18:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Aniket, for this initiation and I was able to successfully get the Tigor Headlamps on my blue Tia while I was in India. Thanks again for all the inputs And a big shoutout to Classic Motors, Yeshwantpur (Authorized Tata service center) for helping me source the headlamps and install.

Since, my warranty was getting over in December I did not go with the fuse tap connection, instead the wiring was modified near the switch to make the High beam and low beam combination work. Also the electrician was able to set the wires to make the leveller work. Finally I have a setup which works as below:
1. Only projectors in Low Beam
2. Both Low beam and High beam lights on High beam
3. Only High beam (reflectors) on Flash
4. Leveller can be set to 0,1,2,3 just like Tigor.

Below are some pictures from the installation:

Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-img_4696.jpg

Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-img_4697.jpg

Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-img_4695.jpg

Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-img_4698.jpg

Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-img_4701.jpg

Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-img_4703.jpg

Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-img_4709.jpg

Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-img_4712.jpg

Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-img_4713.jpg

Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-img_4715.jpg

Fog Lamps:
Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-img_4719.jpg

Low Beam + Fog:
Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-img_4720.jpg

High Beam + Fog:
Installed: Tigor projector headlamps on the Tata Tiago!-img_4722.jpg
fusionbang is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 12:38   #11
BHPian

Superb results Dr. Aniketh. Neither too expensive nor too labor intensive!

Great results @fusionbang. Could you please post the bulbs you have used to get white light and the cost for the same?

Also, I observed the intensity and throw of low beam lights for Dr. Aniketh's Tiago seems better than the one from fusionbang's Tiago, probably because of the absence of street lights in the former case.

Could both of you please post more pictures of low and high beams in city and highway conditions?

I am fed up with low beam lighting in my Skoda Rapid 2015. Any suggestions for bulb replacements?

I could not find a related thread (bulb replacement for skoda rapid 2015 model onwards) here.

One of the most relevant posts in the forum, by vsrivatsa talks about LED bulb replacements for Honda City. But the bulbs are LEDs and imported.
Old 13th December 2018, 17:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan@Automotive View Post
Great results @fusionbang. Could you please post the bulbs you have used to get white light and the cost for the same?
It is the same yellow bulbs which come with the headlights buddy, I have not used any white bulbs. I think it is just the after effects of the camera of iPhone which shows the light as white.

Quote:
Also, I observed the intensity and throw of low beam lights for Dr. Aniketh's Tiago seems better than the one from fusionbang's Tiago, probably because of the absence of street lights in the former case.
Yes, you are right it is because of the street lights and the camera of iPhone as I said earlier. I am not sure if there is way in iPhone to click a picture naturally.

Quote:
Could both of you please post more pictures of low and high beams in city and highway conditions?
I am currently in US and I might not be able to click pictures for now. Will request my dad to click sometime and post it for your reference.

Quote:
I am fed up with low beam lighting in my Skoda Rapid 2015. Any suggestions for bulb replacements?
I believe you have a Rapid with projector headlamps, if Yes go ahead with a HID kit and you will have the best light. If it doesn't come with projectors, then try 100/90 setup with a relay for better results. Or other option is to retrofit a projector setup.
fusionbang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 14:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
With the modified wiring, if you flash the high beam does the low beam also turn on?
With the kind of wiring I have done, low beam also flashes along with the high beam (just like in the Innova Crysta)
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 15:45   #14
BHPian

I've booked an XZ. Can I simply not put the XZ+lights on the XZ rather than going for the Tiago setup. That way, the warranty won't be void.
Old 25th July 2019, 18:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
I've booked an XZ. Can I simply not put the XZ+lights on the XZ rather than going for the Tiago setup. That way, the warranty won't be void.
Yes, you can definitely do it. But just make sure to check how the leveler works and I am sure they will have a different connector for that available as part of the assembly.

We had to do this because it was not available for Tiago yet.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed